PDA

View Full Version : Castro inks 7-year, $60 million deal with Cubs

soxfanreggie
08-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Per ESPN, the Cubs have inked Starlin Castro to a 7-year, $60 million deal.

guillensdisciple
08-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Meh, has great potential so good move

sullythered
08-18-2012, 04:17 PM
So far, he's Alexei without the defense.

Lip Man 1
08-18-2012, 04:30 PM
The Cubs can't help themselves with these type of deals can they? LOL.

They'll regret it soon enough. Guy has a world of talent, tremendous...and a ten cent head.

Lip

SephClone89
08-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Not a bad deal, you'd think. Obviously there's risk, but less than $10m a year for someone that young? I'd probably do it.

WhiteSox5187
08-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Meh, has great potential so good move

That is my initial reaction but this move could haunt them. He is a terrible defensive shortstop and seems to have his head in the clouds half the time, I don't think he is all of a sudden going to get profoundly lazy but it's not like he has a great work ethic to begin with.

guillensdisciple
08-18-2012, 10:16 PM
That is my initial reaction but this move could haunt them. He is a terrible defensive shortstop and seems to have his head in the clouds half the time, I don't think he is all of a sudden going to get profoundly lazy but it's not like he has a great work ethic to begin with.

I don't know. Defense doesn't really kill potential players like him. I think the Cubs have to start finding their anchors and it seems to be they will go with Castro and Rizzo. Those are not bad choices.

WhiteSox5187
08-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't know. Defense doesn't really kill potential players like him. I think the Cubs have to start finding their anchors and it seems to be they will go with Castro and Rizzo. Those are not bad choices.

Well I think having a defensive liability at one of the most important defensive positions on the field is probably a bad idea. I think what hurts him is his defense and is inability to walk.

PaleHoser
08-18-2012, 10:44 PM
This deal looks good for the Cubs, compared to 8 years/$136M for Soriano.

aryzner
08-19-2012, 12:40 AM
I think this is a good deal.

He's only 22 and I think he'll improve his defense in the coming years as well as learn to walk more.

soxfanreggie
08-19-2012, 10:24 AM
It looks like there is also a $16 Mil option for an 8th year. Depending on the buyout and how he's playing, that could be a very good thing for the team.

If he does continue to develop as a hitter (200+ hits every year) and improves his defense, I wonder at what point he wants to tear up this deal and get a much bigger one. He has his "security", but by signing this deal he is locked in potentially until he is about 31.

Domeshot17
08-19-2012, 04:54 PM
wow, Castro is far from a bad defensive SS. He has a TON of range and a very very strong arm. His only weakness at the position is mentally, which can be expected from a 22 year old. The truth is is Baez keeps developing, he will push Castro to 3rd in the future anyway.

palehozenychicty
08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
So far, he's Alexei without the defense.

I think his upside is much higher than Alexei. He's still very young.

Alexei is already thirty, and he's solid, but unspectacular.

doublem23
08-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I think his upside is much higher than Alexei. He's still very young.

Alexei is already thirty, and he's solid, but unspectacular.

This is true bit he was also touted as a "can't miss" star when he first arrived and I think some of the luster has worn off that prognosis, especially if he moves away from SS where his bat is still better than average for the position.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2012, 08:48 PM
A friend of mine has a Ph.D. in behavioral pharmacology, is an astute baseball observer (he deeply understands statistical analysis, but also reads and absorbs more traditional scouting reports) and is a hopeless Cub fan. He thinks Castro will develop into the next Shawon Dunston. He also thought - as of June - that the Cubs should trade him for prospects while his value was high.

TheVulture
08-20-2012, 03:27 AM
This guy walks less than Viciedo. From what I've read on WSI, Viciedo can't be a good hitter since he hardly walks, but Castro is none the less some how a stud.

TheVulture
08-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Well I think having a defensive liability at one of the most important defensive positions on the field is probably a bad idea. I think what hurts him is his defense and is inability to walk.

Defensive liability with a .730 OPS? Sign me up.

CoopaLoop
08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
They do have Almora and Baez in the system. He doesn't have to stay at short.

SephClone89
08-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Where else does his bat profile?

I suppose that depends on what his bat ends up being like...

canOcorn
08-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Almora plays the OF and Baez isn't sticking at SS, so he pretty much needs to stay at SS if the Cubs want to hold onto him.

fram40
08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
The Cubs can't help themselves with these type of deals can they? LOL.

They'll regret it soon enough. Guy has a world of talent, tremendous...and a ten cent head.

Lip

I gotta agree. Given his repeated brain cramps on the field, one highly publcized issue off the field - is this really a guy you want to commit to building around? Risky - could be a defining move of the Theo era on the North Side.

doublem23
08-21-2012, 08:28 PM
I gotta agree. Given his repeated brain cramps on the field, one highly publcized issue off the field - is this really a guy you want to commit to building around? Risky - could be a defining move of the Theo era on the North Side.

True, but I think you'll take a guy with his kind of physical tools over a guy wise not perceived to be a "head case." Simply put, you cash coach up the mental pay of the game, but you can't coach such physical gifts. Just remember how much we all used to bitch about Alexei's brain farts, but they seem to have disappeared now that her has a manager that actually practices coaching fundamentals instead of just blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

WhiteSox5187
08-21-2012, 08:41 PM
True, but I think you'll take a guy with his kind of physical tools over a guy wise not perceived to be a "head case." Simply put, you cash coach up the mental pay of the game, but you can't coach such physical gifts. Just remember how much we all used to bitch about Alexei's brain farts, but they seem to have disappeared now that her has a manager that actually practices coaching fundamentals instead of just blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

Honestly what benefited Alexei the most was having Omar Vizquel around, I do think it would behoove the Cubs to get an older guy like Vizquel or Scott Rolen to show those kids how to play the game, not just the physical style but the mental style as well.

doublem23
08-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Honestly what benefited Alexei the most was having Omar Vizquel around, I do think it would behoove the Cubs to get an older guy like Vizquel or Scott Rolen to show those kids how to play the game, not just the physical style but the mental style as well.

Vizquel's not around this year and Alexei has been magnificent in the field.

But either way, the point remains, THAT is the part of the game that can be more easily remedied. We're still talking about a kid who is 22 years old, has already played 400+ MLB games and has a .296/.333/.422 slash line. Things you can work with. It's interesting, on B-R right now the Top 10 similar players by age has a few HOF players like Rogers Hornsby and Bobby Hoerr but also some real burnouts like Mike Caruso and Gary Templeton. Seems the consensus on Castro is still a bit of a coin flip. But when you're a team like the Cubs who does have some resources they can afford to gamble, and you need to legitimize your rebuilding program by locking up a young "cornerstone" early, it's not a bad deal at all.

WhiteSox5187
08-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Vizquel's not around this year and Alexei has been magnificent in the field.

But either way, the point remains, THAT is the part of the game that can be more easily remedied. We're still talking about a kid who is 22 years old, has already played 400+ MLB games and has a .296/.333/.422 slash line. Things you can work with. It's interesting, on B-R right now the Top 10 similar players by age has a few HOF players like Rogers Hornsby and Bobby Hoerr but also some real burnouts like Mike Caruso and Gary Templeton. Seems the consensus on Castro is still a bit of a coin flip. But when you're a team like the Cubs who does have some resources they can afford to gamble, and you need to legitimize your rebuilding program by locking up a young "cornerstone" early, it's not a bad deal at all.

My point with Vizquel was that he played a big role in turning Alexei around from the frustrating player who made countless mental lapses in 2009 to probably the best shortstop in the AL in 2010. Once Vizquel did taught Alexei the finer points of the game you saw the turn around in Alexei. I think that Castro would improve a lot by being around a guy like that even if it's for only one season. I would also disagree that the mental aspects of the game are the easiest to fix. You obviously need to have the tools but understanding and mastering the finer points of the game is what separates the greats from the mediocre.

fram40
08-21-2012, 10:49 PM
... on B-R right now the Top 10 similar players by age has a few HOF players like Rogers Hornsby and Bobby Hoerr but also some real burnouts like Mike Caruso and Gary Templeton...

Talk about a meaningless stat: Rogers Hornsby and Mike Caruso. That covers the entire realm of possiblilties, doesn't it? What major league career is not covered in that gamut? Babe Ruth? a September call-up with two career ABs?

I get that he has talent. No doubt. But. Given the brain cramps - both on and off the field - I am pretty sure this is not the guy I'd stake my tenure on. Not this soon. But I am not a risk taker. Now Rizzo - he looks to be a safe bet.

Will he be Evan Longoria? or Ryan Leaf?

doublem23
08-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Talk about a meaningless stat: Rogers Hornsby and Mike Caruso. That covers the entire realm of possiblilties, doesn't it? What major league career is not covered in that gamut? Babe Ruth? a September call-up with two career ABs?

Yes. That is the point. If you look at most players, there's a much more narrow focus to their Top 10 by age. It's generally a bunch of players with similar career arcs. The fact that Castro's is so ridiculously wide is what is notable.

DSpivack
08-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Yes. That is the point. If you look at most players, there's a much more narrow focus to their Top 10 by age. It's generally a bunch of players with similar career arcs. The fact that Castro's is so ridiculously wide is what is notable.

He reminds me a little bit of Hanley Ramirez, with less power.

Irishsox1
08-22-2012, 04:19 PM
There have been just so many red flags with Castro that are not talent related.

Bob Roarman
08-22-2012, 05:05 PM
What are they?

getonbckthr
08-22-2012, 05:10 PM
He doesn't seem like a "Theo" kind of player. Not to mention they have prospects almost ready at SS. They just increased his trade value by putting a set dollar amount on him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded in the offseason.

CoopaLoop
08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Almora plays the OF and Baez isn't sticking at SS, so he pretty much needs to stay at SS if the Cubs want to hold onto him.

Who says he isn't sticking at short?

canOcorn
08-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Who says he isn't sticking at short?

Almost every scout and prospect publication.

fram40
08-24-2012, 03:45 PM
He doesn't seem like a "Theo" kind of player. Not to mention they have prospects almost ready at SS. They just increased his trade value by putting a set dollar amount on him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded in the offseason.

Isn't there some type of rule (between owners and union) that disallows that kind of trade? So soon after signing a long-term contract? Or at least allows the player to opt out of a long-term contract if he is traded too soon (perhaps the first year or two) after signing?

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Isn't there some type of rule (between owners and union) that disallows that kind of trade? So soon after signing a long-term contract? Or at least allows the player to opt out of a long-term contract if he is traded too soon (perhaps the first year or two) after signing?

No one is forcing the player to sign the extension. He can also try and put a no-trade clause in his contract if he so chooses, not that the team has to agree to it.

Some players have clauses that say a certain extra year will be guaranteed with a trade, or an option will automatically kick in or something. That's more common. I want to say Buehrle had something along those lines a number of years ago.

jdm2662
08-24-2012, 04:45 PM
No one is forcing the player to sign the extension. He can also try and put a no-trade clause in his contract if he so chooses, not that the team has to agree to it.

Some players have clauses that say a certain extra year will be guaranteed with a trade, or an option will automatically kick in or something. That's more common. I want to say Buehrle had something along those lines a number of years ago.

Mark had a clause before his 10/5 rights kicked it that if he was traded, he get an extra year on his contract and another $1 million a year. I want to say he had a year and a half until his 10/5 rights kicked in. Then, while he still could be traded, he could void a trade if he chose to.

TomBradley72
08-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Just not a fan of Castro- it may be youth- but he has a long way to go when it comes to his approach to the game, mental focus, overall baseball acumen, etc.

Very talented- and it may just be gaining maturity and experience- but I have my doubts.

Mohoney
09-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Mark had a clause before his 10/5 rights kicked it that if he was traded, he get an extra year on his contract and another $1 million a year. I want to say he had a year and a half until his 10/5 rights kicked in. Then, while he still could be traded, he could void a trade if he chose to.

The deal would have went from 4 years, $56 million to 5 years, $75 million if his trade escalator would have ever triggered.