PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-17 A Royal Pain in the *** KC 4 SOX 2 Postgamer

soxinem1
08-17-2012, 10:41 PM
That guy kills us even when he is not hitting.

The sad saga continues with KC.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Can someone explain why we cannot hit their garbage pitching?

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Hilarious that we went for the same pun!

Tragg
08-17-2012, 10:43 PM
How bad is De Aza hurt?

guillensdisciple
08-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Sigh, I am waiting for someone to pull out the royals are crappy they are perpetual losers stuff. This is ridiculous.

CoopaLoop
08-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Any time you have the chance to intentionally walk Jeff Francouer, you just have to do it. Twice.

soxinem1
08-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Hilarious that we went for the same pun!

:cool:

Over By There
Not sure why Crain was not pitching to Perez.

Oh well, get 'em tomorrow.

amsteel
Bad bullpen management.

Whatever, win the next 2. The key to winning the division is not losing 3 series this year to the Royals.

CoopaLoop
08-17-2012, 10:47 PM
8-16 versus these *******s the last 24

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2012, 10:47 PM
It would be one thing if they outslugged us. Hitting has never been KC's weakness, but run prevention has.

And yet their garbage pitchers consistently and repeatedly shut us down. It's inexplicable and inexcusable.

WhiteSox5187
08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
KC is going to have a large say in who wins the Central this year.

Soxman219
08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Saw this coming after the 3 out 4 series win in Toronto. The usual KC letdown. Got to win tomorrow, give Peavy run support and for the love of god beat Cy Chen!

Soxman219
08-17-2012, 10:52 PM
KC is going to have a large say in who wins the Central this year.

Problem is, the Royals suck against Detroit.

SpartanSoxFan
08-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Wow, Peavy versus Chen tomorrow??? Can Jake catch ANY break this year? Better yet...have the Sox EVER hit Bruce Chen???

Crooked Number
08-17-2012, 10:57 PM
It would be one thing if they outslugged us. Hitting has never been KC's weakness, but run prevention has.

And yet their garbage pitchers consistently and repeatedly shut us down. It's inexplicable and inexcusable.

Stone mentioned that Mendoza had gone into the 8th his previous two starts. While I too am frustrated, numbers don't always reflect talent. The guy has been pitching really well his last few games.

Sox blew enormous opportunities late offensively. Why bunt with Wise? Let him swing, the guy has been red hot. Reminded me of an Ozzie inning in the 8th. Of course, if Wise executes and they plate two with a single, all is well. Managing MLB is a tough gig. Glad we picked up the half game yesterday. Win the next game. One at a time folks, it's about to get really emotionally draining and exciting.

Foulke You
08-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I was not happy with the decision to bunt with Wise in the 8th. Herera walked Viciedo on 4, fell behind Beckham and then gave up a hit. You now have the red hot Wise at the plate to pinch hit and you want to give up an out with the bunt when down 2 runs on the road. I wouldn't have been happy even if Wise had gotten it down. Fortunately, Robin hasn't done this that much this year.

Tragg
08-17-2012, 11:01 PM
I was not happy with the decision to bunt with Wise in the 8th. Herera walked Viciedo on 4, fell behind Beckham and then gave up a hit. You now have the red hot Wise at the plate to pinch hit and you want to give up an out with the bunt when down 2 runs on the road. I wouldn't have been happy even if Wise had gotten it down. Fortunately, Robin hasn't done this that much this year.
Why is Wise pinch hitting? Seriously, is De Aza hurt? The difference in ability between those two hitters is massive.
And then we bunt with 2 runners on down 2? Intentionally making outs in front of our home run hitters????
Ozzie ball, twice-over.

Konerko05
08-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Sale should not have started the 7th inning. He looked tired in the 1st. He was lucky to make it through the 6th inning only giving up 2 runs.

Not to mention, 117 pitches is way too many pitches for him to be throwing this late in the season.

russ99
08-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Sale should not have started the 7th inning. He looked tired in the 1st. He was lucky to make it through the 6th inning only giving up 2 runs.

Not to mention, 117 pitches is way too many pitches for him to be throwing this late in the season.

True. Tie game in the bottom of the 7th, you gotta pull Sale, right after the hit made it first and third, if not earlier.

I like the bunt call when down two with nobody out and men on first and second. Shows that Robin isn't reliant on homer-or-nothing ball. Also, our big hitters did nothing after it with one in scoring position instead of two. The issue is not the managing, but the execution.

Would have been good had it worked, better had we tied it. Also De Aza is faster and a better bunter, so he must be hurt to put Wise in to do it.

TDog
08-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Not sure why Crain was not pitching to Perez.

Oh well, get 'em tomorrow.

It may have been because Ventura wanted Sale to get the win, although I woudl like to think a manager I respect wouldn't be managing for a player's individual stats. If Sale gets out of the inning -- and he probably should have -- and th White Sox come back and score, Sale can get the win. As it turned out, he didn't even get a quality start.

The Royals have been pitching a lot better lately. Their announcers were talking about the improvement during an MLB cut-in to the game. Maybe playing the White Sox helps. It isn't a question of not liking home runs, but I really would like to see the Sox offense get singles and a few doubles when they are not hitting home runs. That's why most of your big home run hitters these days have pretty good batting averages. That's what makes offenses dangerous. Right now, the White Sox offense is more inconsistent than dangerious, at least not consistently dangerous.

Nice to see Konerko back, and his home run tied the game. Most of his home runs this year have been important in the context of the game. Nice two-out hitting by Beckham. An earlier appearance by the bullpen, and it might have been enough, or even enough to win in extra innings. It's too bad that was the extent of the offense.

In any case, Mendoza outpitched Sale tonight. Sale intentionally waled three times as many hitters than Mendoza walked in total.

JB98
08-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Why is Wise pinch hitting? Seriously, is De Aza hurt? The difference in ability between those two hitters is massive.
And then we bunt with 2 runners on down 2? Intentionally making outs in front of our home run hitters????
Ozzie ball, twice-over.

De Aza was injured when he was thrown out stealing in the third inning.

Agree the bunt was a foolish play. Even if successful, no reason to give a struggling pitcher an out. Even if successful, I don't like playing for a tie on the road.

southsideirish71
08-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Another example of an invented boogie man beating the Sox before they take the field. Hawk is already starting with the Cy Chen comments for tomorrow. I guess we need to fill the void of the unbeatable Twins. Everyone beats up on the Royals pitching. Yet the Sox can't wait to get themselves out. I would rather that they stop with the self fulfilling prophecies and just crush this teams poor pitching like the rest of the league.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2012, 11:21 PM
4-6 against the jokes of the league this year. Amazing.

Lip

Noneck
08-17-2012, 11:23 PM
De Aza was injured when he was thrown out stealing in the third inning.

Why wasnt he replaced then? He did have another at bat after that and played the field.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Sox have scored 29 runs FOR THE SEASON against the garbage Royals in 10 games.

They have scored three runs or less seven times against the garbage Royals, including five of the last six games.

That should answer the question as to why they keep juggling their rotation to pitch the same three guys against the Sox it seems every series. Why not?

Oh and why the hell don't they change the pitching pattern to Francour and Butler? I'd like to hear Cooper answer that.

Lip

JB98
08-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Why wasnt he replaced then? He did have another at bat after that and played the field.

How should I know? We've all seen situations where a guy gets dinged up, stays in the game initially, then has to come out later.

DSpivack
08-17-2012, 11:43 PM
If it's any consolation to the Cy Young race, Jered Weaver was lit up for 9 ER in 3 IP against Tampa tonight.

JB98
08-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Ventura said De Aza was lifted due to back stiffness.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/71867473/Sports/Video-Ventura-on-late-inning-strategy-De-Aza-s-back

That should bring comfort to those of you who are worried Robin is going to use Wise the same way Ozzie did. No, Robin doesn't think Wise is better than De Aza.

Noneck
08-17-2012, 11:48 PM
How should I know? We've all seen situations where a guy gets dinged up, stays in the game initially, then has to come out later.
It would have been nice for him to at least taken the at bat considering they wanted a bunt and he is their best bunter. But I do know what you are saying.

Ok he couldnt do it, I see stiff back now. Forget what I said.

tstrike2000
08-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Wow, Peavy versus Chen tomorrow??? Can Jake catch ANY break this year? Better yet...have the Sox EVER hit Bruce Chen???

Chen is beyond a ridiculous pain in the ass. He could launch the baseball off of his groin toward home plate and the Sox would still find a way to ground it out or pop it up. Tomorrow is the time to end all that.

SpartanSoxFan
08-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Chen is beyond a ridiculous pain in the ass. He could launch the baseball off of his groin toward home plate and the Sox would still find a way to ground it out or pop it up. Tomorrow is the time to end all that.

Dear Lord, I hope you are right.

Konerko05
08-17-2012, 11:51 PM
If it's any consolation to the Cy Young race, Jered Weaver was lit up for 9 ER in 3 IP against Tampa tonight.

No, it's not at all.

Sale and Weaver are both on my fantasy team.

ChiSoxGirl
08-17-2012, 11:54 PM

:lol: :roflmao:

WLL1855
08-18-2012, 12:13 AM
So Mendoza now has 12 career wins and four of those wins are against the Sox.

Pardon me while I go :puking:.

This guy is the latest version of Joe Mays.

Hitmen77
08-18-2012, 12:35 AM
4-6 against the jokes of the league this year. Amazing.

Lip

Letting the mediocre Royals own us sounds like a good way to lose this division.

LITTLE NELL
08-18-2012, 06:24 AM
DeAza sure gets hurt a lot, another TCQ? I couldn't watch last nights game but when he does get banged up I've never seen a guy with such excruciating pain looks on his face.
JR; I know you said recently about MLB contracting 2 teams, please put the Royals at the top of the list.

kittle42
08-18-2012, 07:03 AM

Yes, on July 13.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/KCA/KCA201207130.shtml#KansasCityRoyalspitching::none

doublem23
08-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Letting the mediocre Royals own us sounds like a good way to lose this division.

4-6 is being owned?

SCCWS
08-18-2012, 08:38 AM
When the 4-Letter crew don't have good games, the Sox won't win.

soxinem1
08-18-2012, 09:25 AM

And he also came within about two inches of hitting into an easy triple play.

SI1020
08-18-2012, 09:30 AM
DeAza sure gets hurt a lot, another TCQ? I couldn't watch last nights game but when he does get banged up I've never seen a guy with such excruciating pain looks on his face.
JR; I know you said recently about MLB contracting 2 teams, please put the Royals at the top of the list. I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while, but unlike you I was hesitant to post anything. I mean the guy looks and acts like he's dying. I admit that sometimes I just try to avoid a hassle here, but since you were braver I agree about De Aza. As for the Royals how about beating them? Just about every other team does.

doublem23
08-18-2012, 09:40 AM
JR; I know you said recently about MLB contracting 2 teams, please put the Royals at the top of the list.

I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while, but unlike you I was hesitant to post anything. I mean the guy looks and acts like he's dying. I admit that sometimes I just try to avoid a hassle here, but since you were braver I agree about De Aza. As for the Royals how about beating them? Just about every other team does.

De Aza does have a history of injury problems, one of the main reasons the Marlins gave up on him was that he lost his job due to an injury and never won it back. That said, I think the comparison to TCQ is a bit unwarranted (at this point), as Alejandro at least shows up to play everyday, whereas Quentin's never missed less than a month of a season in his career, I don't think.

As for the Royals, I know, I know, "everyone beats them," but they seem to be a team that plays mostly to the level of their competition. Actually, if the season ended today, they'd have a winning record against the 5 teams in the AL that would be in the playoffs:

6-4 vs. the Sox
3-4 vs. NYY
3-2 vs. TEX
3-0 vs. TBR
4-5 vs. BAL

19-15

The only teams that seem to have their number in 2012 are Seattle (1-7), Toronto (2-6) and, unfortunately, Detroit (1-7). Those three teams essentially account for every game they are under .500.

Chez
08-18-2012, 09:43 AM
I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while, but unlike you I was hesitant to post anything. I mean the guy looks and acts like he's dying. I admit that sometimes I just try to avoid a hassle here, but since you were braver I agree about De Aza. As for the Royals how about beating them? Just about every other team does.

Early in the year, someone here wanted to nickname De Aza "The Writher" because he's always on the ground writhing in pain. I haven't been able to get that nickname out of my brain since then -- it's kind of true. Hope The Writher is ok.

Noneck
08-18-2012, 09:45 AM
I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while, but unlike you I was hesitant to post anything. I mean the guy looks and acts like he's dying. I admit that sometimes I just try to avoid a hassle here, but since you were braver I agree about De Aza.

Put me your camp.

BainesHOF
08-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Sale's two mental mistakes cost us the game.

I said going into the game that you pitch around Butler and come after everyone else in the Kansas City lineup. With two outs and nobody on base, it was the perfect time to pitch around Butler. For some unknown reason, Sale challenged him and paid the price for it by giving up a home run to the Royals masher.

Then Sale grooved an 0-2 offering to Perez that resulted in two runs.

If you're scoring at home, that's two mental mistakes resulting in three Kansas City runs. Such mental mistakes can't happen in a pennant race, not if you're going to win it.

Shame on Hawk and Stone for not commenting on the mental blunders. All they did was fall silent.

doublem23
08-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I didn't see the HR to Butler, but the double to Perez was about as far from a "grooved" pitch as possible, it was a change-up way low and out of the strike zone the kid just went down and got.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23979389&c_id=mlb

If you don't believe me, Brooks puts the pitch almost 6 inches out of the strike zone:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/numlocation.php?pitchSel=519242&game=gid_2012_08_17_chamlb_kcamlb_1/&batterX=58&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3

And, I would guess Hawk and Stone weren't more vocal about the "0-2 mistake" because the count was 1-2.

FielderJones
08-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I didn't see the HR to Butler, but the double to Perez was about as far from a "grooved" pitch as possible, it was a change-up way low and out of the strike zone the kid just went down and got.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23979389&c_id=mlb

If you don't believe me, Brooks puts the pitch almost 6 inches out of the strike zone:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/numlocation.php?pitchSel=519242&game=gid_2012_08_17_chamlb_kcamlb_1/&batterX=58&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3

The pitch is still over the middle of the plate. Tank regularly hits balls low and out of the strike zone into the seats. That #4 pitch might not be grooved in the true sense of the word, but it caught too much of the middle of the plate.

harwar
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Well, at least we won't have to face the royals in the playoffs .. probably lose 2 out of 3 to the royals and win 2 out of 3 from the yankees .. baseball can a be a funny game sometimes

hawkjt
08-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I wanted Robin to pull Sale and have Crain face Perez...it was the logical move. Righty on righty,Sale fading, most important at bat of the game....I honestly think that Coop and Robin fell into the ''lets let him try to get out of this inning so he can still win the game'' syndrome that Ozzie fell into so often. At this point in the season,cannot be letting bullcrap like that cost you games. Crain has the big arse curve that this guy has no shot at.

Of course,I had a bad feeling in the 1st when we had DeAza striking out swinging on two balls out of the zone,then Adam swings at ball 4 to strike out....could have had bases loaded if the first three guys just stand there and do not swing...with PK coming up. Would have been a game changer for Mendoza....but we bailed him out.

Mendoza's stuff was good after that....he threw strikes,and that is half the battle.
Not sure why they pushed Sale to 117 pitches...he is going to be going back out there vs the Yanks on Wed.,so no extra days rest. Would have thought they would try to keep him to 100 or less this time around.

I hoped the Sox would have a better chance at these 3 KC starters after seeing them only a week ago....we did finally get to Mendoza and win that game last week,only to lose to Chen and Guthrie....hoping for oppo this weekend....c'mon bats...Go SoX!

fram40
08-18-2012, 11:40 AM

And, I would guess Hawk and Stone weren't more vocal about the "0-2 mistake" because the count was 1-2.

Hawk certainly stated "Another Changeup" in an exasperated tone. True, he did not belabor the point as Hawk usually does, but he did make that comment

SCCWS
08-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Hawk certainly stated "Another Changeup" in an exasperated tone. True, he did not belabor the point as Hawk usually does, but he did make that comment

Wait. Sale is not calling his pitches, the bench is. You can blame him for poor location but the coaching staff call through AJ what pitch to throw.

Lip Man 1
08-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Gonzo said the pitch that was hit for the double was a "fluke" (direct quote) play and that the pitch was almost at the guy's shoe tops.

If that was a "grooved" pitch it was grooved only to a guy like Manny Sanguillen.

Lip

Hitmen77
08-18-2012, 01:14 PM
4-6 is being owned?

Against a team that is otherwise 46-62 against everyone else, yes.

No matter how we describe it, the Sox need to figure out what most other teams have figured out: how to beat the mighty Royals.

I think we have 8 games left with them. I know there are just some teams that don't match up well with others regardless of their respective records, but it doesn't do you much good when you have to play that team 18 times.

delben91
08-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Put me your camp.

Ok, so who should lead off and play CF then?

Noneck
08-18-2012, 01:27 PM

De Aza, everyday for the rest of the season.

SI1020
08-18-2012, 01:50 PM
De Aza, everyday for the rest of the season. Seriously. Nobody was knocking his ability or performance when he's in there.

LITTLE NELL
08-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Against a team that is otherwise 46-62 against everyone else, yes.

No matter how we describe it, the Sox need to figure out what most other teams have figured out: how to beat the mighty Royals.

I think we have 8 games left with them. I know there are just some teams that don't match up well with others regardless of their respective records, but it doesn't do you much good when you have to play that team 18 times.

I just figured out how to beat the Royals; score more runs than they do.

LITTLE NELL
08-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Hey, I love him when he's in there and want him in there the rest of the year but look at PK, he got hit in the eye by some idiot Cub pitcher and and then a concussion and he didn't go through all the histrionics that DeAza does.
35 years ago I tore up my anterior cruciate in my right knee and that was the most pain I've ever experienced in my life and I rolled around on the tennis court a few times in agony but nothing like DeAza. 4 days later I was operated on, thats how long it took for the swelling to go down. I was at the last Sox game in TB back in May when we swept them and DeAza got hit in the knee on a pickoff attempt at second base and I thought he got shot the way he was withering around. Good word; withering.

Brian26
08-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Hey, I love him when he's in there and want him in there the rest of the year but look at PK, he got hit in the eye by some idiot Cub pitcher and and then a concussion and he didn't go through all the histrionics that DeAza does.
35 years ago I tore up my anterior cruciate in my right knee and that was the most pain I've ever experienced in my life and I rolled around on the tennis court a few times in agony but nothing like DeAza. 4 days later I was operated on, thats how long it took for the swelling to go down. I was at the last Sox game in TB back in May when we swept them and DeAza got hit in the knee on a pickoff attempt at second base and I thought he got shot the way he was withering around. Good word; withering.

Didn't De Aza win us a game earlier this year by rolling around at the plate after hitting himself with a foul ball, effectively taking the pitcher out of his rhythm. Then he bounced up, drew a walk, and someone else won the game. Can't remember whom that was against, but both the opposing reliever and manager were crying about it in the paper the next day.

kufram
08-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Not everything happens because the thing right before it happened. You just can't say a double happened because a pitch was grooved over the middle of the plate. Lots of pitches go over the middle of the plate and get fouled off, or popped up, or grounded into double plays, or hit straight at somebody, or missed altogether.

Some pitcher's pitches get hit out of the park. Some weak ground balls find a hole, some home run swings dribble the ball down the line and move the winning run to third.

There are many factors that go into causing a tapered cylindrical bat to hit a baseball, spinning to alter its course, moving anywhere from 80 to 100 mph, and making contact in such a way as to hit the ball into fair territory and away from 8 guys in the field that you just can't explain exactly why things like the double to Perez happened with "the pitch was grooved". Luck, in my opinion, is the over-riding factor.

doublem23
08-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Didn't De Aza win us a game earlier this year by rolling around at the plate after hitting himself with a foul ball, effectively taking the pitcher out of his rhythm. Then he bounced up, drew a walk, and someone else won the game. Can't remember whom that was against, but both the opposing reliever and manager were crying about it in the paper the next day.

It was Tampa Bay and whiny douchebag Joe Maddon, I think

JB98
08-18-2012, 03:00 PM
It was Tampa Bay and whiny douchebag Joe Maddon, I think

Texas. The game in question was July 4. Mike Adams was the whining opposing pitcher. De Aza got on base, stole second and scored on a walk-off single by Youk.

Getting back to the 1-2 pitch to Perez that lost the game last night, I didn't like the decision to throw a changeup. Perez strikes me as more of a low-ball hitter, and changeups are pitches you try to throw down and out of the zone. Perez can hit that pitch, and he proved it. Would have preferred to see Chris challenge with a high fastball.

doublem23
08-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Gonzo said the pitch that was hit for the double was a "fluke" (direct quote) play and that the pitch was almost at the guy's shoe tops.

If that was a "grooved" pitch it was grooved only to a guy like Manny Sanguillen.

Lip

Yes, the HR to Butler, that pitch was a mistake, but the double to Perez was a nice pitch that he just went down and put a nice swing on. Maybe it did catch a little bit of the plate, but you can't get too cute with a guy with the bases loaded. I think if you throw that pitch in that location to 100 guys, it goes to the wall maybe 1-2 times max. Unfortunately, that was one of those times.

Win tonight and it will all be better

LITTLE NELL
08-18-2012, 03:12 PM

Yeah that game was the night before the game I went to when he got hit in the knee on the pickoff attempt.

BainesHOF
08-19-2012, 12:52 AM
My bad on referring to it as an 0-2 pitch when it was 1-2 pitch. That changes my view of that pitch a little bit, but it still sucked. Gonzo is high if he thinks that the pitch was a "fluke." While it was on the low side, it was over way too much of the plate. As Perez proved, it was a very hittable pitch.

Pitching to Butler remains inexcuseable.

doublem23
08-19-2012, 07:15 AM
My bad on referring to it as an 0-2 pitch when it was 1-2 pitch. That changes my view of that pitch a little bit, but it still sucked. Gonzo is high if he thinks that the pitch was a "fluke." While it was on the low side, it was over way too much of the plate. As Perez proved, it was a very hittable pitch.

Pitching to Butler remains inexcuseable.

Oh, give me a break, it's Billy ****ing Butler not 2004 Barry Bonds.