PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-15 Wise, Dunn defeather, defenestrate Jays 9-5 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Offensive explosion!

SoxFan49
08-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Donny Veal has a killer curveball against lefties, I think it's time to get rid of Thornton after this season and bring this Veal guy in as our LOOGY.

all*star quentin
Good game. :gulp:

F4L
Big win today. Dunn comes thru when it counts. And Dewayne Wise is good.

OmahaSoxFan
08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Nice win! Looks like the guys have figured out this whole "North of the Border" curse thing... LOL. Go for the series win tomorrow boys!

FielderJones
08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Back to being too reliant on the home run. :wink:

Good to see the bats come alive, and put back-to-back wins together in Toronto.

Frater Perdurabo
08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Anyone still want to complain about Wise? He's replicating Paulie-like production. Shall we call him Konerk-wise? Wise-nerko?

CoopaLoop
08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Fan reactions after Dunn's homer behind home plate. :lol:

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/638105264.jpg?key=20481536&Expires=1345080730&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=pGbYgsjvn1jG1%7EUqpYzR5dQzmEBbnCvA7t7b5b ZiqTZkl9K6MQIw0uzhypwJOX2qWqN7BIK4t8jZ28WbIj3SzO95 qkE7GAj02gI14gQLkYXWqGw5NI6G6Hmv7QiHHTHRyemBn2x4zh %7ESKmbqp1Q%7E9PJUKMkr7nhmoELRmLfu0tQ_
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/638105264.jpg?key=20481536&Expires=1345080730&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=pGbYgsjvn1jG1%7EUqpYzR5dQzmEBbnCvA7t7b5b ZiqTZkl9K6MQIw0uzhypwJOX2qWqN7BIK4t8jZ28WbIj3SzO95 qkE7GAj02gI14gQLkYXWqGw5NI6G6Hmv7QiHHTHRyemBn2x4zh %7ESKmbqp1Q%7E9PJUKMkr7nhmoELRmLfu0tQ_

voodoochile
08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Any win in Toronto is a good one, scoring 9 is just the icing on the cake. Nice to have an easy one every now and then...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

doublem23
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
If you're going to be reliant on the HR, you may as well have 1-2 guys on base each time you hit one. :cool:

JB98
08-15-2012, 09:55 PM
The Sox have struggled in Toronto in the past, but they are 2-1 this year. That's all that counts. If Liriano can find the plate tomorrow, the Sox stand a good chance of getting a series win.

amsteel
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Let us never speak the name 'Jordan Danks' again

All hail new king and overlord Dewayne Wise

thomas35forever
08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
We don't have enough of these 5-run innings. They must come more often.

Frater Perdurabo
08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
DET is off tomorrow, so we have an opportunity to pad our lead by another half-game. It's nice to be up 3 in the loss column; let's go up two in the win column.

Forty-six games remain. At 64-52, the Sox can go 26-20 to get to 90 wins. As of tonight the Tigers have to go 27-17 to get 90 wins. I think we have the starting pitching and defense to get there; we just need the offense to produce. And I think that's more likely than the Tigers getting better pitching after Verlander, and/or playing much better defense.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Great to get a win and at very worst split this series. Floyd was really good other than the sixth inning, but even giving 4 runs over 6 innings isn't a total killer. Putting up runs (let alone a five spot) after Floyd's bad inning was huge. Hopefully the Sox have some offense left for tomorrow.

palehozenychicty
08-15-2012, 10:14 PM
DeWayne got Wise after his short stint with Kevin Long. He's hit well, but I can't get too gassed. Let it ride.

Adam Dunn is threatening to hit a shot to Winnipeg. His homers have been crazy in that dome. :tongue:

voodoochile
08-15-2012, 10:15 PM
DET is off tomorrow, so we have an opportunity to pad our lead by another half-game. It's nice to be up 3 in the loss column; let's go up two in the win column.

Forty-six games remain. At 64-52, the Sox can go 26-20 to get to 90 wins. As of tonight the Tigers have to go 27-17 to get 90 wins. I think we have the starting pitching and defense to get there; we just need the offense to produce. And I think that's more likely than the Tigers getting better pitching after Verlander, and/or playing much better defense.

Yeah, they have played two more than us and lost them both. How those two games balance will matter. Would be nice to win at least one if not both of them.

PalehosePlanet
08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
If you're going to be reliant on the HR, you may as well have 1-2 guys on base each time you hit one. :cool:

Hey man, your 1-9 Wise lineup would have worked out just fine! DeWayne is a great bench payer when used appropriately. It's not his fault Ozziie overused him a few year ago. Always liked what he brought to the team -- but in small doses.

Great to see the team come back and bail out Gavin after he essentially made just one bad pitch; which, btw, to most hitters would not have been a bad pitch.

Tragg
08-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Good gracious, what from what well is Wise drinking? I'll keep beating on him - the more I cringe the better he hits.

Super job responding with a crooked 5 after they tied it up.

SpartanSoxFan
08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Wise just keeps on making people eat crow on this board with each passing day. And good for him, he has taken quite the beating initially since returning to the Sox.

Interesting conversation on the postgame between Chuck, Bill, and Frank about how unprecedented Dunn's terrible average is contrasted with his excellent power and run production especially in clutch situations.

gf2020
08-15-2012, 10:28 PM
A win tomorrow puts us 13 over. We haven't been there all season, right?

TheOldRoman
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Good gracious, what from what well is Wise drinking? I'll keep beating on him - the more I cringe the better he hits.

Super job responding with a crooked 5 after they tied it up.He is having a great year, even in his time with the Yankees. I had no apprehensions when the Sox signed him and then called him up because we have a manager who isn't going to force him into the lineup every night no matter what. Wise can do a good job as a reserve.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbVJwHxeNeGD7ddhlMvrvfW6HYdgaxT te2wZJ0qU1T_rjtl4Je

Nine runs will even bail out Floyd.

And no the Sox haven't been 13 over this season. Last time they were was October 2, 2010.

Lip

CoopaLoop
08-15-2012, 10:41 PM
He is having a great year, even in his time with the Yankees. I had no apprehensions when the Sox signed him and then called him up because we have a manager who isn't going to force him into the lineup every night no matter what. Wise can do a good job as a reserve.

He had an OBP of .286 with the Yankees. Enjoy the ride while it lasts. He hasn't been anything close to "great".

chisoxfanatic
08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
A win tomorrow puts us 13 over. We haven't been there all season, right?
Nope...This is our high point right now.

Getting the runs relinquished in the 6th right back when we came to bat was HUGE. This team wouldn't have done that in years' past. I think we're in good shape with Konerko supposedly coming back this weekend.

cards press box
08-15-2012, 10:45 PM
It's all good! And

:winner

TDog
08-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Too bad Humber made it interesting in the ninth. Teal implied. The last out of the game at first on the strikeout was a nice touch, though. Maybe it was a nod to Felix Hernandez acknowleging his special afternoon in Seattle.

I knew the White Sox had this game, not when Wise homered, not even when Dunn homered. When the White Sox put their two two hitters on in the seventh and Farrell yanked Romero in favor of Lincoln, a right-handed reliever, I knew the Sox were going to put up some runs. Not taking anything away from Dunn, but twice in this series, Farrell has brought in a new pitcher to face Dunn, twice the pitcher has been a righthander and twice Dunn has homered.

But that doesn't meant the Sox didn't earn it with a great, explosive night. The Sox only hit three home runs, but tonight they had hits staying in the park with men on base and none of the home runs were solo shots.

I don't know if this has been mentioned this week, but Wise came up with the Jays and has returned twice to play for the Jays after playing for other teams. His career batting average with the Jays is under .200. Just as Sox fans hated the success he had against the Sox in New York, this Wise week must be awful for Jays fans. I hope Wise continues to do well against teams that have never let him go (and, indeed, he did have a good game agaisnt Oakland).

SoxSpeed22
08-15-2012, 10:58 PM
This wasn't our best one defensively, but the long ball wins the day. Whatever it is, Robin and Kenny are sure pushing the right buttons with these players this year. Let's see if we can win a series here.

Tragg
08-15-2012, 10:59 PM
I knew the White Sox had this game, not when Wise homered, not even when Dunn homered. When the White Sox put their two two hitters on in the seventh and Farrell yanked Romero in favor of Lincoln, a right-handed reliever, I knew the Sox were going to put up some runs. Not taking anything away from Dunn, but twice in this series, Farrell has brought in a new pitcher to face Dunn, twice the pitcher has been a righthander and twice Dunn has homered.
If you are facing Dunn and you need a pitching change, why wouldn't you put in a lefty?

Crooked Number
08-15-2012, 11:00 PM

After my softball game tonight, had a discussion with two Tiger fans on my team about the race. Someone checked the score on their phone, and said 9-4. Tigers guy says "9-4, they lost right?" excitedly. Guy on the phone says "No, they won!" To which he responded "They won? Jesus, how the hell do they keep winning? Their pitching is horrible, horrible!"

That's when I entered in and asked them who they had in their rotation besides Verlander. He fired back with "we got Scherzer, he is 13 and 8 with 180 strikeouts, guy's a stud!"

Hmm. He is actually 11 and 6 with 168k, but who is counting. What he failed to mention is that he has a 4.65 era / 1.42 whip (yikes). Not counting tonight Gavin Floyd had a 4.43 era / 1.38 whip. So basically they have a slightly worse Floyd with a few more wins and more strikeouts. He was not selling me...

I ended my rebuttal with the fact that the Whitesox keep winning by catching the baseball. It was quite interesting to see a Tigers viewpoint of our club. According to them, somehow we are mysteriously winning, with no pitching! Never mind the fact that we have a Cy Young contender, backed by Peavy and to a lesser extent Quintana, coupled with a solid (but admittedly young and unproven) bullpen. The mlb league leader in HR, a scorching hot Alex Rios, the best offensive catcher in the league, Paul Konerko...

I didn't get to see the last 5 innings, but was very pleased with the result! Going to watch the highlights now. Great win! Let's take the series tomorrow.

Zakath
08-15-2012, 11:01 PM
We don't have enough of these 5-run innings. They must come more often.

No stats to back it up, but I'm pretty sure if you can put up a 5-spot, you're going to win at least 95% of the time.

Tragg
08-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Hmm. He is actually 11 and 6 with 168k, but who is counting. What he failed to mention is that he has a 4.65 era / 1.42 whip (yikes). Not counting tonight Gavin Floyd had a 4.43 era / 1.38 whip. So basically they have a slightly worse Floyd with a few more wins and more strikeouts. He was not selling me...
These sabre guys swear by strikeouts. They may be a decent predictive measure (you like to see prospects K minor league hitters) but when measuring effectiveness, an out is an out is an out (for the most part -sometime a K is better than a grounder and sometimes a grounder is better than a K, depending on circumstances).

TheOldRoman
08-15-2012, 11:09 PM
He had an OBP of .286 with the Yankees. Enjoy the ride while it lasts. He hasn't been anything close to "great".A .262 average is pretty good for a bench player. But you are right. He was bad in 2009 when Ozzie used him incorrectly, so he is totally worthless.

Zakath
08-15-2012, 11:09 PM
The best we usually hope to get out of Toronto is a split. Already have that, so a win tomorrow would be icing on the cake.

Schedule really helps Detroit though. 15 of their next 18 are at home.

Tragg
08-15-2012, 11:10 PM
He had an OBP of .286 with the Yankees. Enjoy the ride while it lasts. He hasn't been anything close to "great".

Indeed, but I'm glad his hot streak is with us. His last one was with us, too, in 2008.

sullythered
08-15-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm no huge fan of Wise, but he hits some of the prettiest looking homers in all of baseball. I know they are few and far between, but whenever he hits a bomb, it just looks awesome.

CoopaLoop
08-15-2012, 11:15 PM
A .262 average is pretty good for a bench player. But you are right. He was bad in 2009 when Ozzie used him incorrectly, so he is totally worthless.

Relax. Just pointing out great doesn't belong anywhere near Wise.

He has already been better than expected and Paulie is coming back.

guillensdisciple
08-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Great win today. Win tomorrow and take that lead up to 2.5. Who is detroit playing next anyway?

PS. Anyone notice how most of Viciedo's home runs are opposite field. That shows immense amount of strength. He needs to work on his bat speed or technique, because that is all he is missing from becoming a 30 to 40 home run guy. No guy should get that many push home runs without getting as many pull home runs. I believe he is almost there. BUt hey, I am also his biggest supporter.

Zakath
08-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Great win today. Win tomorrow and take that lead up to 2.5. Who is detroit playing next anyway?

Start a 9-game home stand on Friday. Baltimore for 3, Toronto for 3, Angels for 3.

guillensdisciple
08-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Start a 9-game home stand on Friday. Baltimore for 3, Toronto for 3, Angels for 3.

****ing ****. The Sox gotta stay close. The Tigers are a good team at home.

guillensdisciple
08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
I still believe the White Sox magic number is 20 games over .500. They make it there by the end of the year and they take the thing no problem.

Zakath
08-15-2012, 11:36 PM

After the 9 game homestand, they go to KC for 3, then come back home for 6, including 3 against us. If their rotation holds, it looks like we're going to miss Verlander again when we play them the weekend before Labor Day, and we might not see him when we play Detroit at home in mid-September for 4.

soxfan1965
08-15-2012, 11:37 PM
The batmen are finally hitting for Robin.

guillensdisciple
08-15-2012, 11:45 PM
That bat flip by Dunn was so sick. That's exactly what I would do if I jacked one like that.

"**** ye I just did that, just watch me run around the bases"

kittle42
08-15-2012, 11:47 PM
These sabre guys swear by strikeouts. They may be a decent predictive measure (you like to see prospects K minor league hitters) but when measuring effectiveness, an out is an out is an out (for the most part -sometime a K is better than a grounder and sometimes a grounder is better than a K, depending on circumstances).

Batter not hitting ball and being out is better for pitcher than hitting ball.

That's why K rate is generally significant in measuring the quality of a pitcher.

kittle42
08-15-2012, 11:47 PM
That bat flip by Dunn was so sick. That's exactly what I would do if I jacked one like that.

"**** ye I just did that, just watch me run around the bases"

The gum chewing like nothing just happened was also awesome.

JB98
08-15-2012, 11:50 PM
After the 9 game homestand, they go to KC for 3, then come back home for 6, including 3 against us. If their rotation holds, it looks like we're going to miss Verlander again when we play them the weekend before Labor Day, and we might not see him when we play Detroit at home in mid-September for 4.

I would be stunned if Detroit does not adjust its rotation to make sure Verlander pitches against the Sox.

guillensdisciple
08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
The gum chewing like nothing just happened was also awesome.

YES!!! By God, that is the closest to a bad ass moment I have seen in baseball in a long time.

That was not offensive to the other team, but at the same time it was so so so offensive to the other team.

08-15-2012, 11:59 PM

I can guarantee that you will see Verlander in that mid-September series. Leyland will shuffle the rotation in anyway possible to have him face us.

CHISOXFAN13
08-16-2012, 12:02 AM

A nice chance here to pad a lead against a Wild Card contender in Baltimore and the Tigers.

Just have to take care of business.

guillensdisciple
08-16-2012, 12:12 AM
A nice chance here to pad a lead against a Wild Card contender in Baltimore and the Tigers.

Just have to take care of business.

Business is the Royals and Toronto on the road. I like the fact that we're on the road to be sure, but I don't like the fact that we're playing the behemoths.

doublem23
08-16-2012, 12:17 AM
I can guarantee that you will see Verlander in that mid-September series. Leyland will shuffle the rotation in anyway possible to have him face us.

Absolutely. Cannot apply normal pitcher rules to Verlander. The man is a machine.

ChiSoxGal85
08-16-2012, 01:02 AM
So glad for Adam Dunn to find the groove again. It's a little sad that now that he's in the groove, he probably won't hit #400 at the Cell. And Paulie hit #400 earlier this year, also away in Oakland...Ah well, that's the way it goes.

Great win tonight. The Tigers must be gnashing their teeth these last few weeks. Every time they win, so do the Sox. Love it!! :bandance:

Noneck
08-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Maybe Dunn is hitting better because he is playing everyday in the field. I see no difference defensively between him and Paul.

Zakath
08-16-2012, 07:57 AM
I would be stunned if Detroit does not adjust its rotation to make sure Verlander pitches against the Sox.

They have the luxury of two off-days before they see us (August 20 and 27), so they could juggle it so that he would possibly pitch against us on Sunday, September 2, as he is scheduled to pitch this Friday vs. Baltimore. If they follow the rotation, he would pitch August 23 vs. Toronto, August 29 at Kansas City, and then September 3 vs. Cleveland.

Including today, Detroit has 5 off-days left in the season, while we, having played 2 fewer, have only 3 (August 23, September 6 and 17).

Oh, and Kansas City, screw you for making us play a night game on Thursday, September 20, when the Sox are in LA the next night. I'm sure that the extra 50 fans you have that will show up for the night game vs. a day game to see your pathetic team will appreciate it. They can all come dressed as their favorite empty seat.

doublem23
08-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Maybe Dunn is hitting better because he is playing everyday in the field. I see no difference defensively between him and Paul.

I don't think there is any connection; his best weeks of the season, he was still the everyday DH. He was just in a funk. Hawk has noted that in the week or two previous, Adam had just missed a few pitches that, when cold, are just harmless pop ups but when hot are monster HR.

If anything had changed, it's that Dunn is being protected in the lineup now by the still scorching Alex Rios instead of Konerko whose had his share of struggles at the plate.

Also, it seems to help that the Blue Jays apparently have no situational lefties in their bullpen.

TheOldRoman
08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Oh, and Kansas City, screw you for making us play a night game on Thursday, September 20, when the Sox are in LA the next night. I'm sure that the extra 50 fans you have that will show up for the night game vs. a day game to see your pathetic team will appreciate it. They can all come dressed as their favorite empty seat.I don't have any issue with that. I mean, at least the Sox will pick up two hours on the flight. It would be much worse if it were the other way around, losing two hours. And that has happened with the Angels, as they are dicks and generally schedule night games on get-away day unless their homestand is ending.

Harry Potter
08-16-2012, 10:31 AM
They have the luxury of two off-days before they see us (August 20 and 27), so they could juggle it so that he would possibly pitch against us on Sunday, September 2, as he is scheduled to pitch this Friday vs. Baltimore. If they follow the rotation, he would pitch August 23 vs. Toronto, August 29 at Kansas City, and then September 3 vs. Cleveland.

Including today, Detroit has 5 off-days left in the season, while we, having played 2 fewer, have only 3 (August 23, September 6 and 17).

Oh, and Kansas City, screw you for making us play a night game on Thursday, September 20, when the Sox are in LA the next night. I'm sure that the extra 50 fans you have that will show up for the night game vs. a day game to see your pathetic team will appreciate it. They can all come dressed as their favorite empty seat.

Not sure if this factored into your analysis but with the off-day today, Detroit is pushing Anibal Sanchez back a few days until next Weds and starting Fister in Sanchez spot this Sunday

jdm2662
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Verlander will pitch against the Sox. There should be no doubt. I remember years back when Minnesota did the same with Johan Santana. Some people on here were complaining about it and called in bush league, etc. I got a chuckle out of that. Hell, Manuel once adjusted his rotation for the fricken Cubs.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-16-2012, 11:11 AM
He is having a great year, even in his time with the Yankees. I had no apprehensions when the Sox signed him and then called him up because we have a manager who isn't going to force him into the lineup every night no matter what. Wise can do a good job as a reserve.

Amen!

TheOldRoman
08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Verlander will pitch against the Sox. There should be no doubt. I remember years back when Minnesota did the same with Johan Santana. Some people on here were complaining about it and called in bush league, etc. I got a chuckle out of that. Hell, Manuel once adjusted his rotation for the fricken Cubs.It was busch league in 2005 when the Twins had no shot at the playoffs and were only doing it in an attempt to ruin the Sox' season. Every other year the Twins were in competition for the division title.