PDA

View Full Version : Melky Cabrera suspended

ChiSoxFann
08-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Rosenthal reporting on twitter it's for testosterone. Gone the rest of the season.

Foulke You
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Huge blow to the Giants playoff chances. Also, this would explain Melky suddenly "figuring it out" last year for KC.

LITTLE NELL
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Another dumb ballplayer, what's with these guys.

aryzner
08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
There goes an important member of my fantasy team.

Chez
08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Maybe Melky, like Manny, was trying to get pregnant?

Marqhead
08-15-2012, 03:13 PM

He's made millions of dollars by using the stuff.

ohiosoxfan
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
If baseball was smart, they would put clauses in the contracts that would void them if someone was found using. . . that may take SOME of the incentive out.

LITTLE NELL
08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
If baseball was smart, they would put clauses in the contracts that would void them if someone was found using. . . that may take SOME of the incentive out.

:thumbsup:

soxinem1
08-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I never liked him anyway.

Bet he still gets a decent contact for 2013......

DSpivack
08-15-2012, 03:29 PM

They don't have these already?

hawkjt
08-15-2012, 03:36 PM
If he is suspended,he will not get paid for those games he misses,right?

The last two years he just seemed too good to be true.
He seemed to square up every pitch.
Now,we know why.
Just another illustration of how much these chemicals do enhance performance.
And another reason for those suspected of using should never touch the HOF...sorry Barry Bonds,Clemens,Sammy,Palmero,ect.

thomas35forever
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Unbelievable. Players coming from out of nowhere continue to be frauds. You'd think we'd have gotten past this by now.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
If the Giants make the post season and he's missed 50 games is he allowed to return?

Lip

#1swisher
08-15-2012, 04:27 PM
MLB
Despite his 50-game suspension, Melky Cabrera could win NL batting title:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120815&content_id=36734312&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&partnerId=aw-5042164723966841843-996

Boondock Saint
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Dammit, I initially read it as Miguel Cabrera, and just about did a happy dance.

WisSoxFan
08-15-2012, 04:42 PM

I'm not sure the teams would want to do this. Assuming the voided contract makes the player a free agent, you know another team is going to pay the man.

TDog
08-15-2012, 04:43 PM

If baseball was run like college sports or the Olympics, the Giants might have to forfeit all the games they won this year in which Cabrera played. That would certainly affect the races in both leagues and give the AL the homefield advantage in the upcoming World Series. Of course, baseball really can't do that, and if you don't do that, you have to acknowledge the records.

The Giants have less than 50 games remaining in the season. The suspension would run into the postseaon, and Cabrera would be eligible to come back either in the NLCS or the World Series, depending on how deep the Giants go into the postseaon and how many games they play in each round.

I feel bad for the Giants fans, who have really embraced Cabrera. There were the Melk Men and the Melk Maids who came to the game in costumes now destined for the back of the closet or the weekend yard sales. I always thought he was a strong hitter, but he is having an unreal season. This hurts the Giants, of course, but Sandoval just came back, and they picked up Pence, who is starting to hit. Posey is having a monster season. They have more offense than they did in 2010, although in August on waivers they picked up Ross who went nuts in the postseason.

The Giants are one team, maybe only one of a couple, that could end up with the wild card and not be heavily penalized because their starting pitching is so deep. And that pitching could make them a tough team to beat in the postseaon. But the Dodgers are so much better than they were going into the season.

While I don't have sympathy for Cabrera, this really hurts him more than it hurts his team. He was having a great season in a free-agent year. He was headed for a huge payday, probably with another team. That may be why he risked everything to score big performance-enhancing drugs.

DonnieDarko
08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Dammit, I initially read it as Miguel Cabrera, and just about did a happy dance.

This.

ChiSoxFann
08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
If the Giants make the post season and he's missed 50 games is he allowed to return?

Lip

One of the national baseball writers said he could since post-season games count toward the suspension and he could return in their 5th or 6th game, if they even make it. He doubts they would give him a roster spot after missing so much time though.

palehozenychicty
08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
One of the national baseball writers said he could since post-season games count toward the suspension and he could return in their 5th or 6th game, if they even make it. He doubts they would give him a roster spot after missing so much time though.

Oh, Melk Man. He was a solid player with the Yankees, until his club-hopping downtown with Robbie Cano annoyed management.

Then he played better last year in KC, and had been a good story this year.

These guys keep trying, and it's over. They will NEVER make it through again.

seventyseven
08-15-2012, 05:45 PM
He's made millions of dollars by using the stuff.

And likely lost millions too, being a UFA this coming offseason.

seventyseven
08-15-2012, 05:47 PM

Is there anything preventing teams from doing this now?

Patrick134
08-15-2012, 05:52 PM

if you could, what's to stop teams like the Cubs putting substances in Soriano's postgame meals to get a positive test result and nullify an albatross contract?

The Immigrant
08-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Only the strongest union on the planet.

The Immigrant
08-15-2012, 05:55 PM
if you could, what's to stop teams like the Cubs putting substances in Soriano's postgame meals to get a positive test result and nullify an albatross contract?

I don't know, maybe the prospect of spending significant time in the pokey?

getonbckthr
08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
I'll be completely honest if I was a tweener guy and a free agent at the end of the season I would at least consider the thought of juicing.

CoopaLoop
08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Well that explains that, now on to how Vogelsong is any good?

gosox41
08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Only the strongest union on the planet.

Exactly. The strongest union on the planet will fight to no end for the right of one of their union members to cheat and break the law while getting guaranteed millions.

The penalities for getting caught abusing steroids are a joke.

Bob

guillensdisciple
08-16-2012, 12:19 AM
http://deadspin.com/5935216/did-performance+enhancing-drugs-actually-help-melky-cabrera

take it for what it is, but maybe it's a possibility that he was just good.

I don't know, I'll be interested to see the uproar over this in comparison to Braun's scandal.

It's already on higher OH MY GAH levels. Not going to go into reasoning as to why I am paying attention to that as it's not baseball related, but I believe there is a reason for that. You guys can probably figure out what I mean.

slavko
08-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Maybe Melky has Comcast Internet. Ads for the stuff keep popping up every other web page. :cool:

Foulke You
08-16-2012, 03:08 PM
I don't know, I'll be interested to see the uproar over this in comparison to Braun's scandal.
Ryan Braun is way more of a household name than Melky Cabrera. Braun was the reigning NL MVP and one of the best players in the game not to mention coming off a big postseason run. Melky is a good player but I'm not sure if this ranks up there with the Braun situation.

SI1020
08-16-2012, 09:20 PM
http://deadspin.com/5935216/did-performance+enhancing-drugs-actually-help-melky-cabrera

take it for what it is, but maybe it's a possibility that he was just good.

It's already on higher OH MY GAH levels. Not going to go into reasoning as to why I am paying attention to that as it's not baseball related, but I believe there is a reason for that. You guys can probably figure out what I mean. That's a terrible article effectively skewered by the first commenter. Even the author admits as much. Why suspend common sense?

Lip Man 1
08-16-2012, 10:59 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-conte-testosterone-use-rampant-in-mlb-20120816,0,2591227.story

Lip

Bucky F. Dent
08-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Ryan Braun is way more of a household name than Melky Cabrera. Braun was the reigning NL MVP and one of the best players in the game not to mention coming off a big postseason run. Melky is a good player but I'm not sure if this ranks up there with the Braun situation.

He leads the NL in hits (obviously he'll get passed) and is second in the NL in average. I believe he's played enough games to win the NL batting championship.

TDog
08-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Exactly. The strongest union on the planet will fight to no end for the right of one of their union members to cheat and break the law while getting guaranteed millions.

The penalities for getting caught abusing steroids are a joke.

Bob

Really, there is no evidence that Melky Cabrera abused steroids. He went from being a .255-hitting fourth outfielder in Atlanta to a .305-hitting member of the Royals to someone who would have been in contention for the NL MVP if he had continued to perform as he had with the Giants this season. If he hadn't surprised everyone by being caught, he would have been held up as some baseball ideal. He is being penalized for using, not abusing, and it is a severe penalty. If you were to ban people from baseball based on the severity of the criminal offense for the drugs involved, Josh Hamilton would be out of baseball.

Without getting at least fringe political by analogizing, the union isn't protecting criminal behavior but protecting its membership from instituationalized abuses that the could be put in place by baseball in the name of getting tough on criminal behavior. Perhaps it is a fine distinction. I wish I had a group as strong as the players' union advocating for me.

And to Cabrera's credit, he didn't abuse baseball's equivalent of a justice system. He did what an attorney and probably the union would tell you not to do. He issued a statement admitting his guilt and apologizing for his actions. And he will probably never play for the Giants again. Braun, on the other hand, admitted nothing and attacked the process, which led to his suspension being overturned.

chicagowhitesox1
08-17-2012, 03:50 AM
I dont know alot about steroids but his ops sure shot up during the last two years whatever he was taking helped him. The president of Balco claims 50 percent of Major Leaguers are on steroids now. That seems kinda high to me but if that is true these steroids sure weren't the super powered steroids from the 1993 to 2003 era.

I saw Don Mattingley and Matt Kemp were thrown out of todays game, makes me wonder if they are a bit on edge with all this. You gotta kinda feel for Kemp, first he loses his MVP to Braun who I feel was using but he did get off and now the Giants have their best hitter go down from steroids. Thats a pretty tight race in the NL West and you gotta wonder how many games they woulda lost had Melkey Caberra been clean.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-17-2012, 07:34 AM
I dont know alot about steroids but his ops sure shot up during the last two years whatever he was taking helped him. The president of Balco claims 50 percent of Major Leaguers are on steroids now. That seems kinda high to me but if that is true these steroids sure weren't the super powered steroids from the 1993 to 2003 era.

I saw Don Mattingley and Matt Kemp were thrown out of todays game, makes me wonder if they are a bit on edge with all this. You gotta kinda feel for Kemp, first he loses his MVP to Braun who I feel was using but he did get off and now the Giants have their best hitter go down from steroids. Thats a pretty tight race in the NL West and you gotta wonder how many games they woulda lost had Melkey Caberra been clean.

Your second paragraph doesn't make sense to me. I get that he may have lost the NL MVP illegitimately (although Braun was ruled clean), but why would Kemp (and Mattingly) be upset that one of the biggest successes on their biggest competitor for the NL West is out for the rest of the regular season for a positive test result? If I were them, I'd be thrilled.

The reason they flipped out was because the umpire was getting heckled by the Dodgers' bench for being bad, gave them a warning, and proceeded to throw Kemp out for cheering on Andre Ethier (allegedly).

chicagowhitesox1
08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Your second paragraph doesn't make sense to me. I get that he may have lost the NL MVP illegitimately (although Braun was ruled clean), but why would Kemp (and Mattingly) be upset that one of the biggest successes on their biggest competitor for the NL West is out for the rest of the regular season for a positive test result? If I were them, I'd be thrilled.

The reason they flipped out was because the umpire was getting heckled by the Dodgers' bench for being bad, gave them a warning, and proceeded to throw Kemp out for cheering on Andre Ethier (allegedly).

True he's out for the rest of the year but how many games would the Dodgers be up if Caberra never used steroids and all this has got to be on the back of Kemps mind and maybe thats why he flipped. This is the second player the Giants have had who has tested positive this year, I mean how many players do the Giants have over there using . This has gotta be somewhat discouraging for Kemp.

TheVulture
08-17-2012, 06:04 PM

From what I've read, that type of thing is standard procedure in the KHL.

mzh
08-17-2012, 06:45 PM

That's the thing- Braun didn't get off because he was clean. He exploited a technicality in the system to get the ban overturned. He definitely tested positive- just jumped through a loophole.

Regardless, I do highly doubt that Ryan Braun was anywhere in the vicinity of Kemp's mind last night. IIRC, he just signed a massive extension- no particular reason for him to be nervous about anything.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2012, 11:57 AM
This story (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8282185/san-francisco-giants-melky-cabrera-launched-fake-website-ruse-report-says) is getting worse by the day. It really is unbelievable how far certain players are willing to go to gain an advantage.

tstrike2000
08-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I picked him up cheap in my fantasy league in March. Oh well, too good to be true. After seeing the article today that he created a fake website featuring a cream in an attempted ruse, figured it was best to stop reading.

ShooterMcGavin
08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
The first time an MLBer tests positive for performance-enhancing drugs, is the penalty 50 games?

I thought I remember the first positive test remained private and not released to the public, and the second positive test resulted in a 50-game suspension.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-24-2012, 06:12 PM
The first time an MLBer tests positive for performance-enhancing drugs, is the penalty 50 games?

I thought I remember the first positive test remained private and not released to the public, and the second positive test resulted in a 50-game suspension.

1st offense - 50 games

2nd offense - 100 games

3rd offense - lifetime ban

PalehosePlanet
08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
With the whole fake web site ruse to try to avoid the suspension and/or bad press, MLB should make an exception on the 50 game rule and make him sit out a full year.

ShooterMcGavin
08-24-2012, 06:50 PM
1st offense - 50 games

2nd offense - 100 games

3rd offense - lifetime ban

Thanks for the info!