PDA

View Full Version : Radio/TV Announcers Switching Off

DSpivack
08-14-2012, 11:35 PM
I seem to recall it was not unusual in the past for baseball radio and TV announcers to switch off between innings: on a TV broadcast, the TV guy would call innings 1-3, radio 4-6, then back to the TV guy for the final 3 innings (using a hypothetical example).

As a fan of Jon Miller I noticed tonight that, while watching a close game between two first-place teams in San Francisco and Washington, the Giants broadcasts appear to still do this.

Did this use to be a widespread practice? Are the Giants the only team still practicing this somewhat bizarre trading off? Am I completely imagining this and just screwing up while changing audio feeds on MLB.tv?

LITTLE NELL
08-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Here in Chicago I remember Bob Elson being spelled by Don Wells, Ralph Kiner, Milo Hamilton and Red Rush. On TV Brickhouse was spelled by Harry Creighton, Vince Lloyd and LLoyd Pettit. When Harry came to the Sox he was on radio only and I would turn off the TV sound (Jack Drees) and listen to Harry. A couple of years of that and Harry was moved to TV but he switched over to radio for the middle 3 innings. I can't remember how long that lasted but in time Harry was just doing TV play by play.

Check out this list: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/broadcasters.jsp

SephClone89
08-15-2012, 07:43 AM
While the Giants do it on occasion mid game, I don't think it's standard. I do believe that when they're on the NBC OTA affiliate there, Miller always switches to TV from radio fo the whole game.

Probably the best broadcast team in baseball, across both media. Wish I could say that for the Sox, but they have only one guy who's competent and he 1) has lost a bit off his fastball and 2) isn't put in the best position for his skills alongside his current partner

Hitmen77
08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Here in Chicago I remember Bob Elson being spelled by Don Wells, Ralph Kiner, Milo Hamilton and Red Rush. On TV Brickhouse was spelled by Harry Creighton, Vince Lloyd and LLoyd Pettit. When Harry came to the Sox he was on radio only and I would turn off the TV sound (Jack Drees) and listen to Harry. A couple of years of that and Harry was moved to TV but he switched over to radio for the middle 3 innings. I can't remember how long that lasted but in time Harry was just doing TV play by play.

Check out this list: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/broadcasters.jsp

I remember the Sox doing this during Harry Caray's tenure. In fact, I remember as a kid thinking it was odd that the post-Caray broadcast team didn't switch between TV and radio.

Interesting that the White Sox apparently haven't maintained this list on their own website for several years. No mention of Stone, Singleton, or DJ on the radio.

mrfourni
08-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Harry switched Radio/TV for the Cubs as well. I remember him switching with Thom Brenneman back in the day.

RKMeibalane
08-15-2012, 11:15 PM
The Phillies do this, as well.

cub killer
08-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Harry switched Radio/TV for the Cubs as well. I remember him switching with Thom Brenneman back in the day.

And Dwayne Staats.

Bucky F. Dent
08-16-2012, 06:52 AM
I remember the Sox doing this during Harry Caray's tenure. In fact, I remember as a kid thinking it was odd that the post-Caray broadcast team didn't switch between TV and radio.

Interesting that the White Sox apparently haven't maintained this list on their own website for several years. No mention of Stone, Singleton, or DJ on the radio.

I remember it as well.