PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign Jose Lopez

PalehosePlanet
08-14-2012, 11:21 PM
He's in AAA for now but I can't see him being there long while Orlando Hudson still occupies a roster spot.

http://www.examiner.com/article/white-sox-sign-infielder-jose-lopez-and-assign-him-to-aaa-charlotte-knights

SephClone89
08-14-2012, 11:22 PM
A better option than anything else we've got.

thomas35forever
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Hope he works out well regardless of where he ends up.

Frater Perdurabo
08-14-2012, 11:30 PM
It seems Lopez's ability to play 2B, 3B and SS would make both Hudson and Olmedo expendable. This in turn would allow the Sox to bring up Dan Johnson, who is a much better hitter than any other bench player currently on the 25-man roster.

Putting Johnson and Lopez on the roster in place of Hudson and Olmedo would give Robin better options for late-inning pinch hitting/running situations.

Brian26
08-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Did a double-take at first, because the name reminded me of a guy that played middle infield on the Reds and Nats, but that was FELIPE Lopez. I remember Jose Lopez now from the Mariners...had 25 HRs as recently as 2009.

KRS1
08-14-2012, 11:45 PM
It seems Lopez's ability to play 2B, 3B and SS would make both Hudson and Olmedo expendable. This in turn would allow the Sox to bring up Dan Johnson, who is a much better hitter than any other bench player currently on the 25-man roster.

Putting Johnson and Lopez on the roster in place of Hudson and Olmedo would give Robin better options for late-inning pinch hitting/running situations.

Lopez doesn't play SS.

Noneck
08-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Upgrade from Olmedo but dont know how well he is defensively, at least at one time he was a true major league player.

Noneck
08-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Lopez doesn't play SS.

Yea I see he hasnt played short since 2004.

SephClone89
08-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Did a double-take at first, because the name reminded me of a guy that played middle infield on the Reds and Nats, but that was FELIPE Lopez. I remember Jose Lopez now from the Mariners...had 25 HRs as recently as 2009.

I made the same mistake.

DSpivack
08-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Lopez doesn't play SS.

Upgrade from Olmedo but dont know how well he is defensively, at least at one time he was a true major league player.

Hudson doesn't either, does he? If Olmedo plays SS perhaps he's more of a Hudson replacement than an Olmedo replacement.

That said, I see no reason why Alexei can't go every day.

Noneck
08-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Hudson doesn't either, does he? If Olmedo plays SS perhaps he's more of a Hudson replacement than an Olmedo replacement.

Ive said this before, The Sox best backup SS is playing 2nd now. If Ramirez needs a day or 2 off, move the 2nd baseman to ss, its not like that will affect his hitting at this stage.

Tragg
08-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Sounds good to me. And if Lopez can't play SS, use Beckham to give Alexei a day off.

russ99
08-15-2012, 01:45 PM

If Lopez can't play SS, he's the same as Hudson. Both have hit better in the past and poorly the last 2 seasons.

No need to make a move to replace a guy who plays once a week for a similar player at the plate, and Hudson is probably a better fielder depending on which fielding metrics you prefer.

Seems like Lopez will be a September callup.

slavko
08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Ive said this before, The Sox best backup SS is playing 2nd now. If Ramirez needs a day or 2 off, move the 2nd baseman to ss, its not like that will affect his hitting at this stage.

Got me laffin' there. Can .230 become .200? This might be the guy to prove the point for us, the way all his hitting woes were blamed on change of position by most of you. It's taken this long for all of us to figure out that he can't hit. He's still likeable though.

SOXSINCE'70
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
He's in AAA for now but I can't see him being there long while Orlando Hudson still occupies a roster spot.

http://www.examiner.com/article/white-sox-sign-infielder-jose-lopez-and-assign-him-to-aaa-charlotte-knights

And with Hudson fouling a ball off his foot last night,that may become reality very soon.