PDA

View Full Version : Going to Fenway Park! Your suggestions?

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM
I will be in Boston from Saturday afternoon until next Wednesday night. One of the things I will be doing while there is the Fenway experience. I will be attending the game against the Angels there. My boyfriend and I will also be having a personal guided tour of the ballpark, meaning pretty much any place that we want to go see, we will have access to!

A few things I already want to see are the Ted Williams seat, the place inside the Green Monster, and I want to sign Pesky's Pole.

If you were to be given a personal tour of Fenway, where would you ask to go? I definitely will post some photos when I get back!

DumpJerry
08-14-2012, 10:21 PM
If you see Yaz, ask him if he ever played with a guy named Ken "Hawk" Harrelson. If he says "who?," I will bust a lung laughing.

samurai_sox
08-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Don't forget to tell them thanks for Youk.

DumpJerry
08-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Take Matt Thornton with you.

Leave him there.

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Don't forget to tell them thanks for Youk.
I plan on doing that. I intend on bringing one of my White Sox hats and wearing it into a bar. If the Sox beat the Yankees, I'd see if I can milk it for free drinks at the bar. :D:

True story: After attending a Blackhawks win in Toronto, a Montreal Canadiens' fan bartender served everyone of us at the table (all Hawks fans) a free round of whisky shots!

kittle42
08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I've gone three times this year.

Eat near the park before or after the game. The food inside is crap.

Hang out during what's basically a street fest around the park pregame.

Watching the game from the Monster was cool for like two innings, then I realized it was pretty much like being on a rooftop.

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
I've gone three times this year.

Eat near the park before or after the game. The food inside is crap.

Hang out during what's basically a street fest around the park pregame.

Watching the game from the Monster was cool for like two innings, then I realized it was pretty much like being on a rooftop.
After breakfast, we're going to see Matthews Arena and do the Sam Adam's Brewery tour. But, after that, we're heading over for a 90-minute personal guided tour, and then we are going to spend some quality time having lunch at Bleacher Bar. Did you go to Bleacher Bar?

vinny
08-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Bring along one of those pine tree air fresheners and hang it on the seat in front of you. It may help with the urine/stale beer/hot dog water smell.

Noneck
08-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Take a long shower after you leave.

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Bring along one of those pine tree air fresheners and hang it on the seat in front of you. It may help with the urine/stale beer/hot dog water smell.
Are you being serious here? I've heard that it doesn't have the stench that Wrigley has.

Daver
08-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Are you being serious here? I've heard that it doesn't have the stench that Wrigley has.

It did the one time I wasted my money to go there, the place is a turd.

kittle42
08-15-2012, 12:57 AM
After breakfast, we're going to see Matthews Arena and do the Sam Adam's Brewery tour. But, after that, we're heading over for a 90-minute personal guided tour, and then we are going to spend some quality time having lunch at Bleacher Bar. Did you go to Bleacher Bar?

Bleacher Bar is the Fenway equivalent of Sluggers.

MUsoxfan
08-15-2012, 01:17 AM

I agree with Daver. The place is horrid. You'll wonder how it doesn't topple over on itself

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2012, 01:18 AM
I intend on bringing one of my White Sox hats and wearing it into a barWear this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512qgOd5YyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Whenever I wear that one, somebody asks me if it's a Red Sox cap!

chisoxfanatic
08-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Wear this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512qgOd5YyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Whenever I wear that one, somebody asks me if it's a Red Sox cap!
I don't have one of those...My 3 favorite Sox caps are my Halfway to St. Paddy's Day with the green SOX and a white background, my 1917 logo cap, and my black visor with the standard Sox logo. I'll probably bring one of those. :)

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Boston is heavily Irish; the green one might get the best reaction.

DumpJerry
08-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Bring a good pain killer. The seats are too narrow for adult butts. Unless the adult is a female Olympic Gymnast.

kittle42
08-15-2012, 08:28 AM
It's not horrible as some of the folks here are making it out to be. It just isn't really "special" like one would hope once you get past the "Oh, there's the Monster; oh, there's the pole" moments. Comparisons to Wrigley are valid, except there are a lot more restrooms.

Saracen
08-15-2012, 08:43 AM
It did when I went to college there in the 80's. Can't imagine it's improved with 25 more years of stale beer and urine.

doublem23
08-15-2012, 08:43 AM
It's not horrible as some of the folks here are making it out to be. It just isn't really "special" like one would hope once you get past the "Oh, there's the Monster; oh, there's the pole" moments. Comparisons to Wrigley are valid, except there are a lot more restrooms.

Pretty much. It's a cool place to check out from a baseball history perspective, even if a lot of the history has kind of been combed over to keep the place functional in the 21st century. But it's still a 100-year-old building, so as much as they've done, they can't improve the size of the place; it's very cramped, from the concourse, aisles, seats, etc, that aspect of the place has not changed.

Still, should be a good time. I always like going to baseball games when I have no real interest in who wins or loses, you can walk around the place, sample a lot more of the food, just take in the experience, as opposed to when I'm at Sox games and I'm living and dying with every pitch. Should be a good time for your boyfriend, too; I know when I lived away from Chicago, the chances to go to a Sox game were always special occassions.

Overall, Boston's a pretty cool city. Definitely one of my favorite places I have visited.

Chez
08-15-2012, 08:51 AM
I've been to Fenway three times -- all three times before Boston won the World Series in 2004. I thoroughly enjoyed each visit. As Kittle42 posted, eat before you go inside the ballpark. The street fest outside the park is fun and there are plenty of food vendors selling tasty encased meats. I found Red Sox fans (this was before 2004) to be both knowledgeable and passionate about their team -- much more so than Chicago fans. Besides, it's amusing to hear Boston fans encouraging or berating their players with that thick New England accent ("Hey No-mah; you're ruining my summah" is the one I remember).

I wouldn't call Fenway Park a "turd." I would characterize it as "uncomfortable." The seats are small and many are not angled towards home plate. The concourse and the aisles are too narrow. But Fenway has an undeniable aura and I'm sure you will enjoy your visit.

jaguiar2
08-15-2012, 08:53 AM

I went for the White Sox series in July. Wasn't much of a tour, just sat in a tasting room while they brought you beer. Was still a cool place to see.

If you want a better tour, check out Harpoon Brewery, I enjoyed that one much more.

Golden Sox
08-15-2012, 08:58 AM
I read an article recently and one of the executives of the Red Sox said that spending millions of dollars on rehabbing Fenway Park was a mistake. If they had to do it over again they would of built a new stadium.

Foulke You
08-15-2012, 01:37 PM
I've been there many times in the 2000s. It doesn't have any odor to it other than normal ballpark smells. Hot dogs grilling, etc. They have fixed up Fenway pretty nice these days. It's a lot cleaner and better maintained than Wrigley.

Foulke You
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I will be in Boston from Saturday afternoon until next Wednesday night. One of the things I will be doing while there is the Fenway experience. I will be attending the game against the Angels there. My boyfriend and I will also be having a personal guided tour of the ballpark, meaning pretty much any place that we want to go see, we will have access to!

A few things I already want to see are the Ted Williams seat, the place inside the Green Monster, and I want to sign Pesky's Pole.

If you were to be given a personal tour of Fenway, where would you ask to go? I definitely will post some photos when I get back!
I'd ask to see the inside of the monster. Lots of players have signed it from what I understand. Jake Peavy and his kids signed the wall the last time the White Sox were there from what I understand.

If you like beer, I recommend Boston Beer Works outside the ballpark after your tour. All home made beers. Lagers, IPAs, Ales, Wits, etc. Good stuff. The food is also pretty decent.