PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-14 Breaking the Canadian Curse; SOX 3 TOR 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Finally a win in that dingy dome!

thomas35forever
08-14-2012, 08:42 PM
What a lovely land to win in.

aryzner
08-14-2012, 08:42 PM
This is incredible. The White Sox won in Toronto today. I'm opening a beer.

CoopaLoop
08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
And Reed had a relatively painless 9th!:gulp:

all*star quentin
:winner

soxfan1965
Nice win, eh?

SpartanSoxFan
I just luuuvv wins North of the border.:bandance:

And games that end at 8:41 PM CST. :bandance:

Noneck
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Did AJ call out Ventura before Thornton was yanked?

voodoochile
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Needed that one. Of course we need them all at this point in the game. Not a lot of offense but enough. Hurry back, PK. We need you big man.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

PushinWeight
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Nice win, do it again tomorrow! Go twins.

JB98
08-14-2012, 08:48 PM
It's a grind right now offensively, but the pitching has been good. It's about time Quintana picked up a win. Solid job by Reed in relief.

thomas35forever
08-14-2012, 08:48 PM
On another note, I saw the word "AstroTurf" on the field just before the next-to-last out. Is that what it looks like now?

SoxSpeed22
08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Some solid play, fortunately we caught a break and capitalized on it. At least we don't give others breaks that often.
Nice to win this one, especially facing a tough lefty in Romero tomorrow.

guillensdisciple
08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Quintana finally wins!! Let's hope the tigers drop another one.

They're stinky on the road.

DonnieDarko
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Looks like the Tigers won 5-4.

EDIT: My bad, 7th and they lead 6-4.

palehozenychicty
08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Hope that they can get another one tomorrow. Then they swipe the passports, grab some fries with curds and gravy, crack some Molsons, and cross the border.

DumpJerry
08-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Hope that they can get another one tomorrow. Then they swipe the passports, grab some fries with curds and gravy, crack some Molsons, and cross the border.
I'd prefer they stay one more day and play the fourth game of the series.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-14-2012, 09:07 PM

Meh, details.

palehozenychicty
08-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Oh, right. They can do all of that on Thursday.

Tragg
08-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Good win.
Another good Quintana effort.
We're playing .500 during this blase period. Sure beats a losing streak.
But we'll have to get hot a couple of more times this season.

BringBackBlkJack
08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Small sample size, but so far so good for DeWayne Wise.. Two games, two Ws; 3 for 8, R, 2 RBI.

SCCWS
08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Small sample size, but so far so good for DeWayne Wise.. Two games, two Ws; 3 for 8, R, 2 RBI.

Very wise decision by Robin having him hit 2nd. His hit turned the game around.

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
The defense was timely as well. Nice win.

TDog
08-14-2012, 09:34 PM

The Tigers had been perfect at Target Field before last night's game, but were 2-4 against the Twins in Detroit. They play the Twins tougher on the road than they do at home. Or maybe its the Twins who play the Tigers tougher on the road. Not that the Tigers are playing a great game tonight, but after giving up four unearned runs to blow a four-run lead, it looks like they will win anyway.

Teams that lose a lot of games make a lot of mistakes, and that's what ended up beating the Blue Jays tonight. But the Sox did get some clutch two-out RBI singles from the top of the order that set up the game-winning error.

Wise hitting second didn't keep the Sox from winning tonight, anyway.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Offense is still lousy but anytime you can get a win in the new "House of Horrors" for the Sox you thank the baseball gods.

I'd be very happy getting a split in that dump.

Lip

WisSoxFan
08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html

I ran across this on-line and according to the Magic 8 ball we're going to make the playoffs, but not win the World Series. I didn't ask if we're in as a wild card or division winner. I feel better. :D:

kittle42
08-14-2012, 10:37 PM
I enjoy the winning base-ball.

Brian26
08-14-2012, 11:03 PM

:rolling: :thumbsup:

Brian26
08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Finally a win in that dingy dome!

Tonight the roof was off :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
This game aside, does anyone else feel Skydome has become Dump Dome Jr.?

Brian26
08-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't know, but RICKY ROMERO BOBBLEHEAD NIGHT AUGUST 19TH is fried into my brain.

Noneck
08-14-2012, 11:10 PM

Its just the astro turf that bothers me. I like larger fields though.

FielderJones
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Its just the astro turf that bothers me. I like larger fields though.

I wish MLB would ban all artificial turf, effectively putting an end to new non-retractable domed stadiums.

Noneck
08-14-2012, 11:27 PM
I wish MLB would ban all artificial turf, effectively putting an end to new non-retractable domed stadiums.

A pop up drops and the ball bounces like a super ball, thats not baseball.

Crooked Number
08-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Man, it just me or are the Jays pitching like a first place club? Painting corners, ahead of almost every hitter. Both their starters and pen have been real tough.

Youk with the 2nd row grab, and the game saving dp. The guy's war since joining this club has to be right near the top next to Rios or AJ's. Good to finally get a win for JQ, kid deserves it. Winning run scores because of the routine yet almost always unsuccessful third to first pick off play. Baseball gives you something new almost every game. Love it. Shout out to Wise for getting his second clutch 2 out RBI in as many games. Tough tilt tomorrow, Romero gives us fits. Go get em Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
08-15-2012, 06:59 AM

That would be ideal, but is MLB going to build new stadia for the Jays and Rays, or forcibly relocate them? Otherwise, I don't see either community paying for new baseball-only facilities.

I certainly don't think any new stadium built from this point forward will have an artificial surface.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2012, 09:41 AM
I wish MLB would ban all artificial turf, effectively putting an end to new non-retractable domed stadiums.The Blue Jays announced before the season that they are looking into the feasibility of installing grass for 2013. I would imagine it wouldn't work due to the massive wall of hotels blocking the light in CF, but that's just a guess. Also, they would have to kick out the Argonauts in time for them to find a new place. I haven't heard anything since March or so, but at least they are looking into it.

Sadly, even if the Blue Jays ditch the turf, it will remain in baseball until the Rays finally move. Despite having full infield dirt, turf in the Trop looks way worse. It looks like it's dirty and badly in need of a wash. It's so freaking dreary to watch games from the Trop.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Great win last night. I was getting worked up in the seventh, as I thought Robin should have removed Quintana early. He was already at 100 pitches after the double. I wanted him pulled then, and even more so after the walk to Davis. He left him in and he was able to get the second out before being pulled. That was huge. Robin seems to have had a number of those moments this year where I was screaming for the starter to be pulled and Robin was able to get an additional out or two out of them.

chisoxfanatic
08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
The Blue Jays announced before the season that they are looking into the feasibility of installing grass for 2013. I would imagine it wouldn't work due to the massive wall of hotels blocking the light in CF, but that's just a guess. Also, they would have to kick out the Argonauts in time for them to find a new place. I haven't heard anything since March or so, but at least they are looking into it.

Sadly, even if the Blue Jays ditch the turf, it will remain in baseball until the Rays finally move. Despite having full infield dirt, turf in the Trop looks way worse. It looks like it's dirty and badly in need of a wash. It's so freaking dreary to watch games from the Trop.

I don't see how that can happen. It would get much less sunlight than even Soldier Field. We know how bad the grass is for Bears games. That would be 10 times worse!

soxfan2504
08-15-2012, 10:36 AM
The Blue Jays announced before the season that they are looking into the feasibility of installing grass for 2013. I would imagine it wouldn't work due to the massive wall of hotels blocking the light in CF, but that's just a guess. Also, they would have to kick out the Argonauts in time for them to find a new place. I haven't heard anything since March or so, but at least they are looking into it.

Well, it does work in Oakland as far as I know despite the presence of Mt. Davis, so I don't see why this wouldn't apply in Toronto as well.

That being said, I believe Rogers Centre is used for conventions as well, that require the removal of the turf and exposing the concrete, so I don't know how well it would work in that regard.

doublem23
08-15-2012, 10:44 AM

The hotels in CF shouldn't be a problem, the field is oriented in a way that CF is north, home plate is south, so infield is almost a perfect compass, the sunlight would be coming from behind home plate and, if you look at the stadium in the aerial view on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Skydome,+Toronto&hl=en&ll=43.641572,-79.388773&spn=0.00354,0.006866&sll=39.739318,-89.266507&sspn=7.702641,14.0625&hq=Skydome,+Toronto&t=h&z=17), you can see that it gets plenty of sunlight in summer.

I don't see how that can happen. It would get much less sunlight than even Soldier Field. We know how bad the grass is for Bears games. That would be 10 times worse!

Maybe, but of course football takes a much greater toll on grass tha baseball would, and also, it seems like the Soldier Field turf is usually in pretty good shape in the earlier, sunnier part of the season and wears down as the days shorten and the sun gets lower in the sky AKA not baseball season. Biggest challenge is probably that they share the stadium with the Argonauts.

voodoochile
08-15-2012, 11:23 AM
The hotels in CF shouldn't be a problem, the field is oriented in a way that CF is north, home plate is south, so infield is almost a perfect compass, the sunlight would be coming from behind home plate and, if you look at the stadium in the aerial view on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Skydome,+Toronto&hl=en&ll=43.641572,-79.388773&spn=0.00354,0.006866&sll=39.739318,-89.266507&sspn=7.702641,14.0625&hq=Skydome,+Toronto&t=h&z=17), you can see that it gets plenty of sunlight in summer.

Maybe, but of course football takes a much greater toll on grass tha baseball would, and also, it seems like the Soldier Field turf is usually in pretty good shape in the earlier, sunnier part of the season and wears down as the days shorten and the sun gets lower in the sky AKA not baseball season. Biggest challenge is probably that they share the stadium with the Argonauts.

Football is also played mostly in the fall and winter months. The sun is in the south then. During the summer it's in the north. Toronto will get plenty of sunlight to grow some grass most of the summer I would think.

SCCWS
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Wise hitting second didn't keep the Sox from winning tonight, anyway.

Actually, Wise hitting second resulted in the win. He had the key hit to score tying run and advance winning run. He won the Canadian 2nd star of the game.

doublem23
08-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Football is also played mostly in the fall and winter months. The sun is in the south then. During the summer it's in the north. Toronto will get plenty of sunlight to grow some grass most of the summer I would think.

The sun never appears in the northern sky at any time of year at any point in latitude north of the Tropic of Cancer (which includes all of the USA and Canada).

hawkjt
08-15-2012, 11:39 AM
DWise has been clutch with two precious two-out rbi hits in two games.
Still do not understand why some Sox fans hate him so much.

The Jays are pitching and hitting like a very good team,not a team that is mired in a bad losing streak with many injured players....just love to play the Sox,clearly.

Romero has a 2.7 ERA his last three starts so once again, Sox will be scrambling for runs,I suspect. Gavin has to keep them off the bases or they will steal 100 bases tonite. The Jays always have tons of fast,strong latin prospects....we need their scouts.

Rios seems to be having a reunion slump...worst two games he has had in awhile. Get off his arse,Jay fans!!

Quintana has saved the season,really. Almost 100 innings of 2.77 ERA pitching? Out of nowhere? Makes up a lot for losing Danks.

Keep it going Sox...dog days still stretch out for another 2.5 weeks.

JB98
08-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Not exactly. There's no question the Sox struggle to win games in the Skydome just as they struggled to win games in the Dump Dome. That said, the nature of the struggling feels a little different.

In the Dump Dome, it always seemed like the Twins were getting fluke hits and funny bounces to mount miraculous rallies against the Sox. I don't see the Blue Jays doing that. In fact, our pitchers have held the Toronto lineup relatively in check.

The real problem for the Sox in Toronto is they just can't hit in that place. It's been going on for years. I remember a four-game set up there in 2008 where the Sox got swept by scores of 2-0, 5-2, 4-3 and 1-0.

When we were losing all those games to the Twins, I felt it was because our pitchers couldn't get their ******* punch-and-judy hitters out. These games in Toronto the last few years, I feel like we lose because our guys just can't get any ****ing hits.

I guess you might say the effect is the same, but the cause is a little different.

TDog
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM

Years ago I talked to a scientist who said he could have grown grass in the Astrodome with a colored translucent roof instead of the greenhouse-type roof they originally tried. I don't know if the original plan failed or if the grass died after they blocked off parts of the roof because it became impossible to follow a fly ball during the daytime. But the specially bred hearty bermudagrass (nasty stuff to play baseball on, really) died and the dirt was painted green to finish the season.

Without the Astrodome needing a synthetic surface, there wouldn't have been AstroTurf (Monsanto renamed the stuff they were working on when it was first rolled out in Houston), and perhaps it never would have been used in baseball. It became all the rage in the late '60s. It was prevelant in the new parks in the National League. The White Sox even replaced their old fashioned lovely green living infield carpet with what management called Sox Sod. Couldn't afford the outfield, though. But there were companies working on sythetic surfaces as early as the 1950s, and football might have used them anyway, and baseball, wanting to be popular like football, might have gone synthetic-turf nuts anyway.

Still, considering the problems the Diamondbacks have had with their grass in their retractable-domed stadium, I have become skeptical about this scientist's claims.

FielderJones
08-15-2012, 02:27 PM
That would be ideal, but is MLB going to build new stadia for the Jays and Rays, or forcibly relocate them? Otherwise, I don't see either community paying for new baseball-only facilities.

I certainly don't think any new stadium built from this point forward will have an artificial surface.

That's what I was going for. The current stadiums have to be grandfathered-in, but all new stadiums must be grass surface.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2012, 02:44 PM
That's what I was going for. The current stadiums have to be grandfathered-in, but all new stadiums must be grass surface.Well, that's pretty much taken care of itself. Teams realized that 1) synthetic turf sucks, and 2) domes suck. All new parks are open-air, or at very least have retractable roofs. I mean, maybe 30 years from now some dumb owners will get nostalgic for their childhoods in the '70s and decide to build a multipurpose concrete donut stadium with Astroturf, but I can't see that happening.

FielderJones
08-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I mean, maybe 30 years from now some dumb owners will get nostalgic for their childhoods in the '70s and decide to build a multipurpose concrete donut stadium with Astroturf, but I can't see that happening.

That's what I want MLB to prohibit; take it out of the owners hands.

Hitmen77
08-17-2012, 12:59 PM

That's what I was going for. The current stadiums have to be grandfathered-in, but all new stadiums must be grass surface.

I wouldn't be against a rule that new parks must be grass, but I don't see artificial surfaces ever making a comeback.

I wonder how many years we're going to have to wait until MLB is finally rid of artificial surfaces? I think the Rays will move at some point, but they're locked into a long-term lease. The Blue Jays aren't going anywhere - so they may be playing on fake grass for a long time to come.

I remember a time when I think a majority of NL teams played on astroturf. Back then, only 3 out of 14 teams played on fake grass. So, the NL was the league where a lot of game were played on astroturf. Today, there are no NL teams on fake grass. The only 2 artificial surface teams are in the AL.