PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-13 Peavy gets the shaft, again; TOR 3 SOX 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Would be nice to get Peavy more run support...

DonnieDarko
08-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Same old, same old. What else is new? Just get 'em tomorrow.

PeteWard
08-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Luckily the Tigers bats are more limp than those of the Sox tonight. But would have been nice to go up three. :(:

Frater Perdurabo
Nice job by Dunn to hit two homers tonight.

RadioheadRocks
Luckily the Tigers bats are more limp than those of the Sox tonight. But would have been nice to go up three. :(:

Exactly. Treading water isn't gonna cut it.

JB98
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
You walk people, you lose.

Septimo has shown me he can't handle high-leverage situations. The Sox cannot defense a walk. Kelly Johnson stinks, but Septimo was too timid to challenge him.

fram40
08-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Seven very impressive ABs in extra innings tonight. 6 Ks and a ground out. That ain't gonna cut it.

Sox have lost 16 of 19 in Toronto. good god.

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Games like this could bite them in the behind in a month and a half when they're heading down the final stretch of the season.

ChiSoxFann
08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
I missed most of the game, but did Septimo have another 4 pitch walk? I can't stand the guy. We're trying to win a division. Let him figure it out in AAA. I also hate when our offense sleepwalks like this.

RadioheadRocks
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I missed most of the game, but did Septimo have another 4 pitch walk? I can't stand the guy. We're trying to win a division. Let him figure it out in AAA. I also hate when our offense sleepwalks like this.

Yes, he did.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm convinced that the Blue Jays' MLB roster could get hurt all at once, they would call up their entire A squad, and we'd still lose to them.

fram40
08-13-2012, 10:27 PM
****ty pitchers shut down other teams as well. Samuel Deduno (who?) is shutting down the Tigers - 2 hits through 7 innings. Maybe he's a soft tossing lefty they've never faced before. It is just so damn frustrating watching it happen to Sox for years.

This could be a rough road trip. Very rough.

PalehosePlanet
08-13-2012, 10:31 PM
****ty loss to a ****ty, bombed out and depleted team. First Vilanueva has a career night, then Delabar makes us look like idiots because apparently we don't read advance scouting reports and know that he throws a splitter when ahead in the count. Guy had a 4.25 coming into the game so apparently other teams know what to expect. Annoying as all hell; not to mention Nate and Septimo sucking up the joint.

EDIT: At least the twinkies are up 8-1 after 7 on Murder City.

Crooked Number
08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm going to go a different route here. First off, the play of Alex Rios in right field has been stellar all season. The barehand off the wall bullet to get the guy at 2b was beautiful (third time this year?).

Jake Peavy, with another outstanding peformance. Man is he wearing it this year. Him and Quintana just, they just cannot catch a break. Myers came in and I swore I heard here comes the Boom - its the boys from the South because he pitched that inning like vintage Big Bad Bobby. My god that 12 to 6 was gorgeous.

Dunn, what can we say here except that it was Jays 2, Dunns 2 until the end there. We wouldn't even be talking about a Septimo/Jones implosion if it werent for his bombs. His first bomb looked like it was going to hit his own face on the jumbotron in center. What a titanic clout.

If it werent for old man Vizquel at 3b, we might be talking about a Sox victory tonight. Yes, it was a pretty crappy ending. Yes it's frustrating. Sure the offense should have scored more. But you know what, that was a pretty well played baseball game. Sox need to not hang their heads after this one and go win a series. A four game sweep is very rare as it is, get the loss out of the way early. Doom and gloom is rampant, let's try to look at some positives. Go Sox.

aryzner
08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Has Septimo ever recorded an out? I feel like every time he pitches he walks people. This is probably just a feeling and not fact, though.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Peavy pitches his ass off (again)...
Peavy gets nothing to show for it (again)...
Sox lose in Toronto (again)...
Sox tip their hats (again)...

At least the Tigers are losing but like other have said these are chances going by the boards...Sox still have to play Detroit twice more as in series. It would be nice having a bigger lead than two games at the end of the month when they have to go to Comerica.

What can you do...Sox are 5-7 in extra inning games this year.

Lip

SpartanSoxFan
08-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Walks are a killer, but this Sox offense is D-E-D dead. How soon can Paulie come off that weird 7-day DL??? I know Lip posted he can ride a bike starting tomorrow.

ChiSoxFann
08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Has Septimo ever recorded an out? I feel like every time he pitches he walks people. This is probably just a feeling and not fact, though.

Didn't the guy have a good debut in Yankee Stadium, IIRC? It seems ever since he's been awful. I have no confidence in the guy.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't either...the guy is a stiff but Gonzo says Cooper is his biggest supporter in the organization. I don't know what he sees in him myself. I'd rather have Santiago pitching.

Lip

JB98
08-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Walks are a killer, but this Sox offense is D-E-D dead. How soon can Paulie come off that weird 7-day DL??? I know Lip posted he can ride a bike starting tomorrow.

Friday is the earliest Konerko can return.

The Sox did post a respectable 18 runs in the three-game set against a good Oakland pitching staff. The ups and downs of the offense have been frustrating, but it's pretty much been that way all year.

Noneck
08-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Veal should get his shot soon. If that doesnt work then bring back Santago. At least there are choices.

JB98
08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Didn't the guy have a good debut in Yankee Stadium, IIRC? It seems ever since he's been awful. I have no confidence in the guy.

It was a good debut -- in a 14-7 ballgame.

Check out Septimo's splits (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=septile01&year=2012&t=p) on baseballreference.com. Go down to the leverage chart and see for yourself how much he sucks in pressure situations.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2012, 10:58 PM
I hope Robin sees those stats and never uses this guy again unless it's a five run game either way.

Lip

fram40
08-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm going to go a different route here. First off, the play of Alex Rios in right field has been stellar all season. The barehand off the wall bullet to get the guy at 2b was beautiful (third time this year?).

Jake Peavy, with another outstanding peformance. Man is he wearing it this year. Him and Quintana just, they just cannot catch a break. Myers came in and I swore I heard here comes the Boom - its the boys from the South because he pitched that inning like vintage Big Bad Bobby. My god that 12 to 6 was gorgeous.

Dunn, what can we say here except that it was Jays 2, Dunns 2 until the end there. We wouldn't even be talking about a Septimo/Jones implosion if it werent for his bombs. His first bomb looked like it was going to hit his own face on the jumbotron in center. What a titanic clout.

If it werent for old man Vizquel at 3b, we might be talking about a Sox victory tonight. Yes, it was a pretty crappy ending. Yes it's frustrating. Sure the offense should have scored more. But you know what, that was a pretty well played baseball game. Sox need to not hang their heads after this one and go win a series. A four game sweep is very rare as it is, get the loss out of the way early. Doom and gloom is rampant, let's try to look at some positives. Go Sox.

a post this positive cannot possbly be written by a Sox fan. :tongue:

Seems like the post describes the attitude that RV has instilled in the Sox this season. Lots of credit goes to him and his staff. Let's watch Q shut the Jays down tomorrow night.

If the previous manager was still here, there might be blow-up dolls in the clubhouse. Slump busters.

JB98
08-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I hope Robin sees those stats and never uses this guy again unless it's a five run game either way.

Lip

He dominates in low leverage spots. Opponents bat .050 against him in those situations. He hasn't walked a soul in low leverage.

In high leverage, he has walked 50 percent of the batters he has faced.

The White Sox don't have time to wait for him to work out his rookie jitters.

Soxman219
08-13-2012, 11:06 PM
House of Horrors for our Sox. 16 L's in the last 19? Damn. Feel so bad for Peavy and Quintana never getting run support when they have to. Go get them tomorrow.

SoxSpeed22
08-13-2012, 11:06 PM
We really need Paulie back for these kind of games. That Jays bullpen really kicked our asses.

TDog
08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
This White Sox team really isn't putting together much offense. This was the second game in the last four that the only runs came on solo home runs, and they lost the two home games before that because they couldn't generate any offense against the Royals. I don't know if Konerko being out of the lineup is making a big difference, but tonight it wasn't really a question of missed opportunities because they only got two runners in scoring position, if you exclude the brief time Dunn spent on the bases. And they were there almost as briefly, reaching second on a two-out steal and a two-out wild pitch.

This game wasn't so different from the 14-inning loss agaisnt the A's early in the season, in that Konerko tied the game at two in the ninth with his 400th home run. Except tonight, the Blue Jays didn't have to scramble to hold the White Sox before both staffs broke at the end. The Jays used just one pitcher in extra innings, and the one fair ball hit off of him was an easy out. You're not going to win most of your extra-inning games on the road in the best of times.

The difference in this game, of course, is that the Jays didn't put runners on base the way the White Sox did. Encarnacion, the best Jays hitter, drove in the first run with a single after two hit batters, and then he set up the winning run by singling a walk over to third with one out. If not for one of the longest successful rundowns of the Sox season, the Jays might have scored more runs after that first single.

On the plus side, Ventura didn't bring in Thornton to lose the game. Seriously, Dunn had a good night, and it felt like he was going to have to get a three-home run night if the Sox were going to win. Pierzynski kept his hitting streak alive, athough he didn't have a particularly good offensive night.

And, really, if the Sox had won in extras tonight, it would have been an indictment on the closer mentality. You have a one-run lead in the ninth inning. You are already into your bullpen. With Dunn leading off, why would you go to your right-handed closer when you have Darren Oliver available. Oliver, a lefty, has faced Dunn 13 times. Has given up two hits that have stayed in the park, has never walked him and has struck him out eight times. If Tuesday night's game is close and Dunn comes up with a chance to hurt the Jays, I expect Oliver will come in.

SpartanSoxFan
08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Friday is the earliest Konerko can return.

The Sox did post a respectable 18 runs in the three-game set against a good Oakland pitching staff. The ups and downs of the offense have been frustrating, but it's pretty much been that way all year.

I do have a short memory of the Sox offense on the homestand when the media does nothing but trumpet how bad they are in Toronto.

aryzner
08-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Tigers lose so there's the good news of the night.

ChiSoxGirl
08-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Seven very impressive ABs in extra innings tonight. 6 Ks and a ground out. That ain't gonna cut it.

Rogers Centre is the new Metrodome! :o:

TDog
08-13-2012, 11:22 PM

The A's didn't use their best pitching against the Sox. Friday was McCarthy's first game back from the disabled list. The middle game of the series was a bullpen game for the A's. They started a lefty reliever/spot starter who wasn't expected to go deep to give their rookie starters additional rest, apparently reading on WSI that the Sox rolled over an played dead against weak southpaws no one has ever heard of. Sunday, after the gift unearned run, half of the offense came from Pierzynski and the other half came from two-out hits by Viciedo, Wise, Olmedo and Beckham.

Still, they would have swept the series if any pitcher except Humber had done their job Saturday night.

XplodingScorbord
08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Time to put the black unis back on the shelf. Road greys here on out.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Anybody know why Thornton wasn't used tonight ? any health issues or is Robin just trying to protect his fragile psyche ?

JB98
08-13-2012, 11:36 PM
The A's didn't use their best pitching against the Sox. Friday was McCarthy's first game back from the disabled list. The middle game of the series was a bullpen game for the A's. They started a lefty reliever/spot starter who wasn't expected to go deep to give their rookie starters additional rest, apparently reading on WSI that the Sox rolled over an played dead against weak southpaws no one has ever heard of. Sunday, after the gift unearned run, half of the offense came from Pierzynski and the other half came from two-out hits by Viciedo, Wise, Olmedo and Beckham.

Still, they would have swept the series if any pitcher except Humber had done their job Saturday night.

The Sox had enough runs to win all three games of that Oakland series. And I think McCarthy and Colon are pretty good pitchers. Colon hadn't given up an earned run in three starts (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=colonba01&t=p&year=2012) before the Sox got to him Sunday.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Amazing isn't it now that Colon actually wants to play as compared to his second stint with the Sox when he could have cared less. (Well that and whatever that doctor did to his arm...nudge, nudge, wink, wink SAY no more...)

Lip

thomas35forever
08-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Whatever. Detroit loses, one more day off the schedule. Get back at it tomorrow.

amsteel
08-14-2012, 01:21 AM
When your entire offense is predicated on Adam Dunn hitting dingers, you got problems.

Is it possible that the Sox are just a '10-games-or-so above 0.500' type of team? Which is fine as long as the Tigers are a '9-games-or-so above 0.500' type of team.

palehozenychicty
08-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Toronto is a tough matchup for the Sox. The Jays hit into the gaps, and the Sox aren't the most athletic team in the world. Rios can play the caroms, but he's an exception.

Anyways. We just need to get them tomorrow.

guillensdisciple
08-14-2012, 01:51 AM
I don't care how the sox get to the playoffs as long as they get there. Win tomorrow.

WhiteSox5187
08-14-2012, 02:28 AM
I only saw some of the game but the breaking ball that Villanueva had tonight was just filthy in the parts I saw. Also it looked like that guy in the tenth (I think?) Delbar had a pretty good splitter.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-14-2012, 06:44 AM

IIRC, I think he debuted in the blowout where Wise ended up pitching for the Yanks. So it's not like he was in a pressure-filled situation.

Madvora
08-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I can't watch the Sox in extra innings on the road anymore. I can only think of doom and gloom. Lately if the Sox don't score in the 9th, I turn the game off and check the score later.

SOXSINCE'70
08-14-2012, 08:33 AM
House of Horrors for our Sox.

It's the new Metrodoom.:(:

ohiosoxfan
08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Time to put the black unis back on the shelf. Road greys here on out.

Does anybody have W-L stats on the black jerseys this year? Doesn't seem like I remember a whole lot of wins with those. Maybe I have a selective memory??

WisSoxFan
08-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Amazing isn't it now that Colon actually wants to play as compared to his second stint with the Sox when he could have cared less. (Well that and whatever that doctor did to his arm...nudge, nudge, wink, wink SAY no more...)

Lip

Well at least he cared a little. It would have really sucked if he couldn't have cared less.

Huisj
08-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm convinced that the Blue Jays' MLB roster could get hurt all at once, they would call up their entire A squad, and we'd still lose to them.

The Lansing Lugnuts are 74-43 this year, so you could be right.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/team.cgi?id=3c6e7a9e

Actually, they've run a lot of ex-lugnuts out there the last few years. It's kind of fun to live in a town with an A-ball team that is part of an organization with a real good minor league system. It's not as much fun when those guys do well against the Sox. Both Sierra and Cooper played here a number of years ago, and I think Casey Janssen did too.

kobo
08-14-2012, 11:18 AM
The Sox struck out 16 times last night. Adam Dunn did not.

:bundy

kittle42
08-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Is it possible that the Sox are just a '10-games-or-so above 0.500' type of team?

Very possible. They're not really that good consistently.

DonnieDarko
08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
The Sox struck out 16 times last night. Adam Dunn did not.

lolwut

hawkjt
08-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Frustrating game:

The Good:

Dunn....please hit that 400th homer before returning to Soxpark so they can take that jinxing sign down! Clearly,once freed up from seeing that goofy git r dunn sign he relaxed and got his stroke back...hit a couple more and the tyranny of the ''sign'' will be over.

Jake...keeps chucking hard. No luck with run support,but continues to have high quality starts.

The BAD:

Septimo,as has been said, is bad in pressure situations,but good in low-pressure situations....must be addressed.

Letting Nate pitch to Cooper was a mistake by Robin. Walk him..especially after he fell behind. Cooper was raking all nite anyway. Take your chances with the right-handed rookie.

The Offense: bad. Their guy was not breaking 89mph,which did allow Dunn's slow bat to catch up,but the rest struggled to make any contact.
Too many strikeouts,not enough foul balls,even. This team is uppercutting everything and could not use the fast track with hard grounders or line drives at all....just popups. Hate these domes,and do so the Sox.

Pitching matchups look ok for the Sox but so did last nite. Find a way!

slavko
08-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Nate Jones. Filthy evil stuff, but iffy control. When he gets in a situation where he has to throw a strike, like to Cooper, it's a fastball down the middle. Until that's fixed, I back off on him as a future closer. Shoulda walked the guy.

WisSoxFan
08-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I know this has sort of been covered but I don't understand the need to use a lefty against Kelly Johnson. Are his splits so great that Jesse Crain is not a valid option? It would be like Toronto bringing in a righty to face Gordon Beckham. It's not needed. Let the guy on the hill do his job and even if Johnson gets on you've still got Crain facing Encanarcion. It's not as if that's a terrible option. Just my opinion.

russ99
08-14-2012, 05:02 PM
He dominates in low leverage spots. Opponents bat .050 against him in those situations. He hasn't walked a soul in low leverage.

In high leverage, he has walked 50 percent of the batters he has faced.

The White Sox don't have time to wait for him to work out his rookie jitters.

Especially when Crane retired the first batter quite well. No need to make a change to Septimo there, especially in an extra inning game when the bats aren't working.

Do we have one guy who has the patience to hit a major league-quality curveball? Maybe Paulie or Dunn...

Hitmen77
08-14-2012, 07:46 PM

Toronto has our number and KC "plays us well". That's bad news when this stretch of 7 games are against these two teams. The Sox need to start figuring out how to beat these teams.

Yeah, we're up 2 games on Detroit, but I think we're going to need to pad our lead since we apparently can't beat Detroit much this year either.