PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts From Charlotte

WhiteSoxWinner
07-26-2002, 10:36 PM
Well, I got to come down to Charlotte for business, and was lucky enough to catch a couple Knights' games on Friday and Saturday. Here are a few random thoughts I am taking from the games...

1) It was announced today that Kenny Williams was in the park. Wonder who else he is looking to get rid of...

2) The Knights' have a promotion every night where you can "Grill the GM". The Knights' GM stands in the Grill area for an inning and you can ask him anything you want. Could you imagine KW on the Center Field Concourse taking questions? They'd have to have a battalion of National Guard to prevent a riot.

3) JOE CREDE IS READY!!! He hit a homer last night over the wall (the wall is pretty tall with 3 levels of advertising) and added two more tonight. His stats in comparison to the rest of team just seem silly. His defense looked OK, at least he dove for a few, even if he dove over the ball. He's as good as anyone else we have here playing 3rd.

Otherwise, I got to see a split of the two games against Louisville (Reds affiliate). Not bad for a business trip.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
1) It was announced today that Kenny Williams was in the park. Wonder who else he is looking to get rid of...

3) JOE CREDE IS READY!!!

*cough*

soxtalker
07-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Just curious -- did you find any of the turmoil that the fans feel regarding the organization when you were in Charlotte?

WhiteSoxWinner
07-26-2002, 11:28 PM
I cannot say that I did. I noticed a few things while I was there.

1) Charlotte does not draw for games, either. Today's 6:15 game was about half full in the fourth inning. By the end of the game, the stadium was 3/4 full for the Christian Rock band that was there after the game. Thursday night, it was maybe a 1/3 full.

2) It is a lot of family's going out to enjoy a day away from home. Getting back to your question, I didn't notice anyone complaining or anything. Most people just out there to watch teams play baseball, obilivious to the parent's club's problems. The Knights' don't even get a good write-up in the paper in Charlotte. If you ever read the Daily Herald, they get as much coverage as the KC Cougars. For perspective, the day they took two games of a double header, the Duke basketball program had a bigger story than the Knights.

3) The oddest thing was, on Thursday I think I saw 3 people in the entire stadium wearing any kind of team gear (hats, shirts, whatever). I can recall a guy and his son with hats and another guy with a shirt. That's it.

Sorry, I guess more random thoughts.

NC_sox_fan
07-26-2002, 11:30 PM
I was in Charlotte last Sunday. The fans sitting around me were ready to run the White Sox out of town. Rauch had pitched very poorly (he walked the first four batters in the first inning and was taken out) and Pawtucket just kept on rolling from there. It wasn't much of a game. Several fans told me that this was the worst team they had EVER had there. It was pretty sad.