PDA

View Full Version : Wimpy's Back...

Lip Man 1
08-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Didn't see this so just letting you know Tom is going to be working at least part of the Toronto series.

Enjoy.

Lip

34rancher
08-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Farmer can't go to Toronto due to his transplant, right?
Edit:Or was that just for the SARS scare?

SephClone89
08-12-2012, 07:32 PM

I have no idea, but I know Paciorek is going to be on TV.

34rancher
08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I have no idea, but I know Paciorek is going to be on TV.
Huh, welcome back wimpy. Missed you TP.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
That's ****ing awesome! Does anyone know which games?

Bucky F. Dent
08-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Love the Wimperoo!

DumpJerry
08-12-2012, 08:06 PM
That's ****ing awesome! Does anyone know which games?
Nope. Even Wimpy doesn't know.:tongue:

Lip Man 1
08-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I think it's Monday and Wednesday but don't hold me to that.

Lip

SI1020
08-12-2012, 08:35 PM
As I've said many times here and elsewhere I really enjoyed Hawk and Wimpy calling the Sox games. It's always nice to have TP back, even if it's just for a short time.

whitesox4eva
08-12-2012, 08:54 PM
This thread title made me think at first that there was something wrong with wimpy's back. :tongue:

Brian26
08-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Edit:Or was that just for the SARS scare?

That was for the SARS scare in 2003. I have no idea how I remember that, but Dave Wills joined Rooney in Toronto, and Farmer was on the mic back in the studio in Chicago for an odd three man team.

Steelrod
08-13-2012, 04:03 AM
This thread title made me think at first that there was something wrong with wimpy's back. :tongue:
Hips!

Over By There
08-13-2012, 08:52 AM
I find Hawk & Stone's chemistry to be a bit better this year (winning undoubtedly helps), but I still enjoy Hawk & Wimpy whenever they're together. Looking forward to it.

Steelrod
08-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Wimpy is tops. Looking forward to hearing his cackle. Maybe he'll drown out some of the Hawkisms!

SI1020
08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I find Hawk & Stone's chemistry to be a bit better this year (winning undoubtedly helps), but I still enjoy Hawk & Wimpy whenever they're together. Looking forward to it. I've thought the same thing. In the past the tension between them was obvious. I don't know if their bosses told them to make nice, or if they decided it on their own. Whatever the reason it is a welcome change. I also look forward to Hawk and Wimpy teaming up this week.

doublem23
08-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I've thought the same thing. In the past the tension between them was obvious. I don't know if their bosses told them to make nice, or if they decided it on their own. Whatever the reason it is a welcome change. I also look forward to Hawk and Wimpy teaming up this week.

I have a feeling that Hawk is a lot easier to get along with when the Sox aren't playing like horse****.

bunkaroo
08-13-2012, 02:55 PM
I've thought the same thing. In the past the tension between them was obvious. I don't know if their bosses told them to make nice, or if they decided it on their own. Whatever the reason it is a welcome change. I also look forward to Hawk and Wimpy teaming up this week.

One of my friends does a lot of audio engineering for many sporting events including some Sox games, and he's told me even recently it looks like Hawk and Stone don't even talk to each other when not live. Take that for what it's worth.

Quentin08
08-13-2012, 03:43 PM
It's probably just my imagination, but at times it seems like Stoney pushes Hawk's buttons. Hawk's the biased homer, and Stoney goes out of his way to be the opposite. Whenever the home plate ump makes a questionable call, like when Floyd pitches right down the middle (a rarity I know) and the ump calls a ball, Stoney will say, 'let's take a look at the pitch tracking illustration [or whatever it's called], and we'll see that this is far out of the strike zone'. And yet it shows the ball touching the outer corner of the strike zone. :D:

bunkaroo
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
To me it sounds like Hawk talks over Stone a lot.

#1swisher
08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen

Tom Paciorek (1988-99 White Sox color guy) rejoins Ken Harrelson for the four-game series at Toronto. Steve Stone has the series off.

Foulke You
08-13-2012, 05:26 PM
To me it sounds like Hawk talks over Stone a lot.
They both talk over each other. It's one of my only complaints about them as a team. They both like to talk a lot and it sometimes doesn't mesh well.

TheVulture
08-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Really? Hawk and Stone have made a good team as far as I'm concerned. Seems like they both leave plenty of space for each other. Anyway, I'll definitely enjoy Paciorek this week.

SpartanSoxFan
08-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I agree that Hawk and Steve Stone sounded a bit strained at first, and that they have improved their on-air chemistry. I think the problem used to be that Hawk can at times be insufferable when the Sox are playing poorly, and I think Steve wasn't sure how to react to it.

Anyway, I always loved Wimpy and am glad to hear him again.

Why does Steve Stone take these broadcasting breaks during the season? Does he have health issues that impact long distance travel?

SephClone89
08-13-2012, 08:21 PM
I agree that Hawk and Steve Stone sounded a bit strained at first, and that they have improved their on-air chemistry. I think the problem used to be that Hawk can at times be insufferable when the Sox are playing poorly, and I think Steve wasn't sure how to react to it.

Why does Steve Stone take these broadcasting breaks during the season? Does he have health issues that impact long distance travel?

Would you want to deal with Hawk 162 games a year?

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Would you want to deal with Hawk 162 games a year?

Are you accusing Stone of taking mental health sick days?

DSpivack
08-13-2012, 08:30 PM

I think it's not uncommon for broadcasters to have in their contract a clause for a series off or two during the long slong of baseball season.

SephClone89
08-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Are you accusing Stone of taking mental health sick days?

I sure wouldn't blame him.

SpartanSoxFan
08-13-2012, 08:49 PM
The reason I asked about why Steve taking time off is I don't ever recall Hawk getting time off unless it was directly health-related (like his eye issue a few years ago). That is interesting if it indeed was negotiated into his contract.

russ99
08-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Glad to hear Hawk and Wimpy back in the booth again.

I wonder if Steve decided to skip this series because it's the only Sox road series in a different country, i.e. customs, etc.

tstrike2000
08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I like how Tom has fun in the booth and Hawk generally seems looser in their last couple of games together. It's nice to hear Wimpy again, albeit for a short time.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Stone has it in his deal with the Sox that he can take some time off during the season.

Lip

SpartanSoxFan
08-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Stone has it in his deal with the Sox that he can take some time off during the season.

Lip

Thanks for clarifying.

Does Hawk have such a clause in his contract?

spongyfungy
08-13-2012, 11:41 PM
That Krusty the Klown laugh on Dunn's first homer had me cracking up.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Thanks for clarifying.

Does Hawk have such a clause in his contract?I don't think Hawk wants time off.

palehozenychicty
08-14-2012, 01:53 AM
I don't think Hawk wants time off.

Because if he leaves the booth, it would be a problem for him and him only.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Because if he leaves the booth, it would be a problem for him and him only.You know, you Hawk haters don't speak for everybody.

Madvora
08-14-2012, 08:22 AM
You know, you Hawk haters don't speak for everybody.
I agree. The anti-Hawks speak up a lot more on this board.

ohiosoxfan
08-14-2012, 09:09 AM

How about in the 10th when Flowers reached on 3rd strike passed ball and went to 2nd on a wild pitch. . . Wimpy said with a laugh. . "a couple more passed balls and we'll be right there"

Steelrod
08-14-2012, 12:07 PM
I agree. The anti-Hawks speak up a lot more on this board.
This board has 80 comments on who is the 25th man, who rarely plays!

Chez
08-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Me too. I think he was laughing at Hawk yelling "stretch" etc. when the ball clearly didn't need any help or encouragement to get way the heck out of the park.

Wimpy is a nice change of pace -- kind of a breath of fresh air, but Stone is a far superior analyst.

harwar
08-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Wimpy is a nice change of pace -- kind of a breath of fresh air, but Stone is a far superior analyst.

Steve Stone is the best in the business and we're lucky to have him ..

SephClone89
08-14-2012, 03:03 PM
What does Herman Munster have to do with baseball?

EDIT: Ah, apparently in one episode he plays baseball. Having trouble finding a clip.

Madvora
08-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Awesome. I found the call online. He even cracks Hawk up in the middle of his home run call.
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23867391&source=MLB&gid=2012_08_13_chamlb_tormlb_1

Noneck
08-14-2012, 03:15 PM
I would like to hear Stone and Paciorek in the booth together discuss their frugal ways. Actually see who is the biggest piker.

KenBerryGrab
08-14-2012, 03:43 PM
What does Herman Munster have to do with baseball?

EDIT: Ah, apparently in one episode he plays baseball. Having trouble finding a clip.

If I remember right, Herman blasted one that knocked down the scoreboard.
Leo Durocher was in the episode.

chicagowhitesox1
08-14-2012, 04:11 PM
If you ever get a chance to watch that episode Leo Durocher says some somewhat racist remarks which at the time weren't considered racist.

MeteorsSox4367
08-14-2012, 04:26 PM
I like how Tom has fun in the booth and Hawk generally seems looser in their last couple of games together. It's nice to hear Wimpy again, albeit for a short time.

Agreed. Although I think Stone is outstanding, it is a nice change of pace to hear Wimpy. Plus, Hawk even came up with an "I love it when you analyze" during last night's game.

That might just be my favorite Hawkism and one that hasn't been used in some time.

Madvora
08-14-2012, 04:27 PM
If you ever get a chance to watch that episode Leo Durocher says some somewhat racist remarks which at the time weren't considered racist.
I think he says something about sending Herman Munster to Vietnam.

slavko
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I think he says something about sending Herman Munster to Vietnam.

Also calls him a term that sounds like "setback." Wimpy's Easy Listening. Stoney's like a Baseball Professor, in good and bad ways.

everafan
08-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Did anyone catch this exchange last night?

Hawk: Old school baseball is great but I wish they had some of the new stuff when we were playing.
Wimpy: Like helmets?

Golden.

tstrike2000
08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Agreed. Although I think Stone is outstanding, it is a nice change of pace to hear Wimpy. Plus, Hawk even came up with an "I love it when you analyze" during last night's game.

That might just be my favorite Hawkism and one that hasn't been used in some time.

True, Hawk doesn't do much of those "I love...." comments anymore with Stone Pony in the booth. That were some of the things I didn't mind about Hawk when he was with Wimpy and DJ.

TaylorStSox
08-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Steve Stone is the best in the business and we're lucky to have him ..

Agreed. If Hawk ever runs Stone out of town, I'll be livid.

SpartanSoxFan
08-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I do appreciate Hawk and Stone, but after listening to last night's broadcast, I just don't think they are as great together as Hawk and Wimpy. Hawk is much more at ease with Tom, and like others have mentioned he dusted off some classic "hawkisms" that many of us miss. Can you say, "Grab Some Bench"???

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 10:36 PM

I REALLY miss "I luv email!"

True story: Hawk read one of my emails during a broadcast about 10 years ago. I'm sure some of you who were here around the time this board started remember me signing all of my posts "Heather the Redbird." Well, he said "This comes from Heather the Redbird...Waaaayyy down at ISU!" then, he read the email! I think it had to do with El Caballo or something.

SBSoxFan
08-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Awesome. I found the call online. He even cracks Hawk up in the middle of his home run call.
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23867391&source=MLB&gid=2012_08_13_chamlb_tormlb_1

In their prime, Wimpy used to chime in on the "YES!" part of "put it on the board." They were in perfect synchronicity. Last night was funny when Wimpy said "I don't know what you were so worried about" in response to Hawk's "stretch" during Dunn's first homer.

Two of the things I remember most from Wimpy:

1. He would always do the pre-game intro and when it was time for the first pitch he would always say "... and here is ... the Hawk-a-roo."

2. Paciorek once said that Ron Kittle was the strongest thing he'd seen since a big ape climbed to the top of the Empire State building, or words to that affect. I wonder what his thoughts are on Adam Dunn.

Brian26
08-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Got to love Hawk and Wimpy when they can reminisce about two at bats by Big Frank in a game against Juan Guzman twenty years ago, specifically mentioning the outside breaking ball and inside heater that Frank connected on in successive at bats.

PalehosePlanet
08-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Agreed. If Hawk ever runs Stone out of town, I'll be livid.

Oh please, Stone is a condescending ass that never really states anything but the obvious. I wouldn't miss him at all.

SpartanSoxFan
08-14-2012, 11:43 PM
In their prime, Wimpy used to chime in on the "YES!" part of "put it on the board." They were in perfect synchronicity. Last night was funny when Wimpy said "I don't know what you were so worried about" in response to Hawk's "stretch" during Dunn's first homer.

Two of the things I remember most from Wimpy:

1. He would always do the pre-game intro and when it was time for the first pitch he would always say "... and here is ... the Hawk-a-roo."

2. Paciorek once said that Ron Kittle was the strongest thing he'd seen since a big ape climbed to the top of the Empire State building, or words to that affect. I wonder what his thoughts are on Adam Dunn.

I think this precisely demonstrates the lack of egotism between Hawk and Wimpy. Stone NEVER has nor ever will join Hawk on that home run call.

Brian26
08-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Oh please, Stone is a condescending ass that never really states anything but the obvious. I wouldn't miss him at all.

Gospel. Stone is extremely overrated, master of the obvious and the next ticket he sells for the White Sox will be his first. I'd take Wimpy back in a second and DJ back in two.

Brian26
08-14-2012, 11:50 PM
In their prime, Wimpy used to chime in on the "YES!" part of "put it on the board." They were in perfect synchronicity.

I'm completely nitpicking here, so please don't take offense- but did Pacoirek ever join in on the "YES" call when he was here? His last year was '99, and I don't remember him doing it. DJ didn't join in for his first few years either. I think it wasn't until 2004 or 2005 that DJ started doing the "YES" in unison with Hawk, and it seemed like a new thing at the time.

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Gospel. Stone is extremely overrated, master of the obvious and the next ticket he sells for the White Sox will be his first. I'd take Wimpy back in a second and DJ back in two.
I would too. Stone seems too "sterile" for my liking. I don't like broadcasters without a personality. We're fortunate to have personalities like Foley, Olczyk, Joniak, and Hawk here in Chicago. I wouldn't include Stone Pony in that group. I kinda miss DJ, to be honest with you. I didn't mind "Uh oh! Bye bye!" for a home run call when Hawk went on his potty breaks. I thought DJ had a fun, innocent personality.

Brian26
08-14-2012, 11:52 PM
We're fortunate to have personalities like Foley, Olczyk, Joniak, and Hawk here in Chicago.

Joniak sucks. He's a carnival barker that should still be doing high school football on CLTV. Agree with everyone else on your list.

SpartanSoxFan
08-14-2012, 11:54 PM
And I'm sorry, but DJ continues to make my ears bleed on the radio. He wouldn't be missed.

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 11:57 PM
And I'm sorry, but DJ continues to make my ears bleed on the radio. He wouldn't be missed.
You have to say that "Uh oh! Bye Bye!" was outstanding, though! That's classic DJ for you!

Speaking of Hawk and DJ, I remember the moment that DJ called Hawk "sexy" during a broadcast. I have never heard as long of a period of dead air as right after that! It was priceless! I was laughing hysterically when that happened. Does anyone else remember that moment?

SpartanSoxFan
08-15-2012, 12:09 AM
You have to say that "Uh oh! Bye Bye!" was outstanding, though! That's classic DJ for you!

Speaking of Hawk and DJ, I remember the moment that DJ called Hawk "sexy" during a broadcast. I have never heard as long of a period of dead air as right after that! It was priceless! I was laughing hysterically when that happened. Does anyone else remember that moment?

No I don't, but I would really luvvvvv a link here....:cool:

SBSoxFan
08-15-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm completely nitpicking here, so please don't take offense- but did Pacoirek ever join in on the "YES" call when he was here? His last year was '99, and I don't remember him doing it. DJ didn't join in for his first few years either. I think it wasn't until 2004 or 2005 that DJ started doing the "YES" in unison with Hawk, and it seemed like a new thing at the time.

You know, I thought it was Pacoirek, but I certainly could be mis-remembering. I barely recall DJ in the booth with Hawk. :(:

Frater Perdurabo
08-15-2012, 07:54 AM
I like Stone. I think he was even better with the Cubs, in large measure because Harry gave him more time to explain things. (I'm not sure if that's because Harry was still good enough to know when to get out of the way, or because he was sipping or burping off-mic.)

As a former pitcher, Stone understands pitching in a way that Hawk does not, and Wimpy and DJ never could, either. When Stone is given a little more time, he can explain how a pitcher is setting up a batter, and often can even predict how the pitcher will get out the batter. That's more than the "just missed a cookie" or "he swung over the top of it" that former hitters offer from the booth.

As a former pitcher, Farmer also can explain pitching in a way that Hawk, DJ and Wimpy cannot, and as a analyst Farmer is quite good. But Stone is even better than Farmer at communicating the pitcher's perspective.

I learn more about the actual game of baseball from Stone than any other announcer.

TaylorStSox
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
I like Stone. I think he was even better with the Cubs, in large measure because Harry gave him more time to explain things. (I'm not sure if that's because Harry was still good enough to know when to get out of the way, or because he was sipping or burping off-mic.)

As a former pitcher, Stone understands pitching in a way that Hawk does not, and Wimpy and DJ never could, either. When Stone is given a little more time, he can explain how a pitcher is setting up a batter, and often can even predict how the pitcher will get out the batter. That's more than the "just missed a cookie" or "he swung over the top of it" that former hitters offer from the booth.

As a former pitcher, Farmer also can explain pitching in a way that Hawk, DJ and Wimpy cannot, and as a analyst Farmer is quite good. But Stone is even better than Farmer at communicating the pitcher's perspective.

I learn more about the actual game of baseball from Stone than any other announcer.

This. Plus, Stone got us Veal, so he's already contributed more than Hawk did as GM. :)

TheOldRoman
08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
I think this precisely demonstrates the lack of egotism between Hawk and Wimpy. Stone NEVER has nor ever will join Hawk on that home run call.Well, he technically did once. In 2007, the year before he joined the radio team, he sat in with Hawk for a game. During the homerun call, Stone gave a really over-the-top and sarcastic "yes" call. The call is not as good with Hawk doing it by himself. In an attempt to make it better, Hawk has started saying "yes" twice, which had made it worse.

I like Stone in the booth, and although he and Hawk are working together much better this year, it still doesn't touch the chemistry between Hawk and Wimpy. They've still got it after years apart. Hearing Wimpy these past few games has taken me back to my childhood.

hawkjt
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I like Stoney as well as Hawk. Nit-pickers complain about their ''chemistry'' but I think it is fine. When a pair is on the air for over 450 hours in 6 months, it is not going to be perfect all the time. And there is so much dead time in baseball, there is so much more stream of consciousness conversing required,it is not an exact science.

Wimpy and Hawk were a fun duo,and I was sad to see it end. Nice to hear them back together for a couple of series,but I am fine with the regular team.
Stoney does offer pitching insight,and it works for me.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Tom and Hawk used to yell 'yes' together on home run calls. Stone doesn't do that.

Lip

TheVulture
08-15-2012, 01:17 PM
This board has 80 comments on who is the 25th man, who rarely plays!

That's because the 25th man appears to be the best hitter on the bench, and that's no compliment to DeWayne Wise.

SpartanSoxFan
08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
So, since most of us agree that Hawk and Wimpy are better together than Hawk and Stone, why did Hawk and Wimpy break up? Did the Sox choose not to hire back Wimpy?

jdm2662
08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
So, since most of us agree that Hawk and Wimpy are better together than Hawk and Stone, why did Hawk and Wimpy break up? Did the Sox choose not to hire back Wimpy?

No one knows the real answer. There have been whispers they had a falling out. And, when you piss off the ol Hawk, you don't get to work in his booth (see Jack McDowell recently).

Personally, I think Stone is wasted in the booth (although I will admit Hawk and Stone are better this year). I'd say just hire Wimpy back (provided he wants the job, of course) if we are stuck with Hawk. Otherwise, it will just be another yes man for Hawk because that's how he likes it.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Officially the Sox said that Tom was let go because he wasn't preparing enough for the games. That appears to be pure blarny since Tom had worked for ten seasons already. If that was such a problem, why wasn't it an issue three years or five years before they let him go?

Unofficially Hawk made some comments about Tom personal life and some very bad past instances which made it impossible for the two to continue working together at that time.

Lip

SpartanSoxFan
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Officially the Sox said that Tom was let go because he wasn't preparing enough for the games. That appears to be pure blarny since Tom had worked for ten seasons already. If that was such a problem, why wasn't it an issue three years or five years before they let him go?

Unofficially Hawk made some comments about Tom personal life and some very bad past instances which made it impossible for the two to continue working together at that time.

Lip

I would agree about pure blarney. Tom seems to me to be very prepared especially for a fill-in role. You can tell that he has been following the Sox this year.

WhiteSox5187
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
I would agree about pure blarney. Tom seems to me to be very prepared especially for a fill-in role. You can tell that he has been following the Sox this year.

He seems prepared this year but I remember last year there was a game where we stranded a couple of runners (shocking, I know) and Tom said something like "Boy it seems like the White Sox are having a hard time bringing that run in from third tonight, has that been a problem all year?"

Steelrod
08-15-2012, 05:14 PM
He seems prepared this year but I remember last year there was a game where we stranded a couple of runners (shocking, I know) and Tom said something like "Boy it seems like the White Sox are having a hard time bringing that run in from third tonight, has that been a problem all year?"
That's making conversation, allowing for your partner to respond. Especially that all-knowing Hawk. It keeps the booth friendlier.

CoopaLoop
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
They have been great together this series. Takes me back to my childhood.

ChiSoxGirl
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
They have been great together this series. Takes me back to my childhood.

Absolutely! I've loved listening to them during this series and during their other pairings throughout the last couple seasons.

chisoxfanatic
08-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Did anyone else catch the old Wimpy commercials they pulled out from decades ago during the middle of tonight's game? Too funny!

fisk4ever
08-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Did anyone else catch the old Wimpy commercials they pulled out from decades ago during the middle of tonight's game? Too funny!

"That's not my best work." --Wimpy

Tragg
08-15-2012, 11:24 PM

I like Stone too. He'd probably be a good radio PBP guy too....the best in the old days would teach the listeners baseball.

Lamp81
08-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I like Stone too. He'd probably be a good radio PBP guy too....the best in the old days would teach the listeners baseball.

I liked Stone in the year he was in the radio booth. Anyone would be better than Farmer doing PBP. I'd take a Paciorek/Harrelson TV Booth and a Stone/Jackson Radio booth in a heartbeat. DJ and Farmio have a terrible chemistry, and should be seperated.

Andy T Clown
08-16-2012, 12:10 AM
We need Wills on the radio!

Urban Legend
08-16-2012, 12:17 AM
I read in an on-line interview - sorry, don't remember the site - that Wimpy simply wanted to spend more time with his family, with his kids and grandkids in Stone Mountain, Georgia. I remember that the article said he helped coach one of his grandkid's school teams this season

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2012, 01:08 AM
We need Wills on the radio!
"Aww shucks! You paid too much!"

Yea, I really miss Willsy.

ZombieRob
08-16-2012, 01:17 AM
The Smirnoff exchange cracked me up. He totally caught Hawk off guard with that one. They have to find a spot for Wimpy. If not in the Booth post or pre game. The guy is Gold with Sox fans. IMO Farmer just makes me want to chuck the radio.

ZombieRob
08-16-2012, 01:20 AM
I liked Stone in the year he was in the radio booth. Anyone would be better than Farmer doing PBP. I'd take a Paciorek/Harrelson TV Booth and a Stone/Jackson Radio booth in a heartbeat. DJ and Farmio have a terrible chemistry, and should be seperated.
Sometimes you can feel the tension between them as a fan. Farmer has no sense of humor and is just dry. Having no play by play guy would be fine if BOTH guys had a personality. Farmer doesn't.

HawkDJ
08-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Stone > DJ
Hawk + Stone < Hawk + DJ

I said it.

TomBradley72
08-16-2012, 10:31 PM
ANY team with DJ is unacceptable to me- he's like an annoying 7th grader- I listened to an entire 9 inning game driving through Michigan- he didn't make more than 2-3 comments of real value the entire game.

Farmer isn't much better.

Wills/Stone on radio, Hawk/Wimpy on TV- those are my "dream teams".

Lip Man 1
08-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Tom:

It would be nice to think Dave might return but as I was told by someone very close to that situation, "that ship has sailed..." The Sox people who were pushing Dave for the job a few years ago could never get JR to sign off on it, for whatever reason.

I know a lot of people in the broadcasting business including some who work at the major league level and it's amazing how many times when the subject gets around to the people doing the Sox games that they say generally 'the Sox only have one professional announcer, Stone...'

I think Farmer is very, very good as an analyst...go back and listen to him and Rooney in 2005 for example. It was uncanny how ofter Farmer was one or two pitches ahead in predicting something would happen and it did. But he is not a play by play guy.

DJ is absolutely one of the nicest men you'll ever meet. (I have twice) And he has gotten better since he started in 2000, but he still is very 'dry' for my taste.

Regarding Hawk...in my opinion like Farmer he was a brilliant analyst. There was none better to me then when he and Drysdale worked together. Both knew their ****, both had pleasent voices and both had good chemistry in the booth (like Harry and Jimmy did) but I think time has taken its toll on him. He wasn't a bad play by play guy 15 years ago but he's not the same today in my opinion.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
08-16-2012, 10:48 PM

I credit John Rooney for teaching me a lot of what I know about the game of baseball. His broadcasts with Wayne Hagin and eventually Ed Farmer were so descriptive that I was able to vividly picture in my mind what was happening on the field.

Noneck
08-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Regarding Hawk...in my opinion like Farmer he was a brilliant analyst. There was none better to me then when he and Drysdale worked together. Both knew their ****, both had pleasent voices and both had good chemistry in the booth (like Harry and Jimmy did) but I think time has taken its toll on him. He wasn't a bad play by play guy 15 years ago but he's not the same today in my opinion.

Lip

I am quite intrigued by your comments about Harrelson and Drysdale. Since that was the time the sox management alienated their fan base , I was not able to hear them often. Its a shame I never heard them enough to have any real opinion of them.

Brian26
08-16-2012, 11:17 PM
The Sox should go after Rick Rizzs of the Mariners. I listened to him on XM call the perfect game yesterday. He's terrific, in a John Rooney old-school way. Some further research shows that he grew up on the south side of Chicago and idolized Brickouse, who was doing Sox and Cubs games at the time.

Lip Man 1
08-16-2012, 11:25 PM
When KSTW broadcast back to Seattle the final game at the original Comiskey Park (I have it in the library) Rizzs talked during the pregame about how he bought himself a 1959 Sox hat that final weekend because that was the team he grew up idolizing.

Lip

Brian26
08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
When KSTW broadcast back to Seattle the final game at the original Comiskey Park (I have it in the library) Rizzs talked during the pregame about how he bought himself a 1959 Sox hat that final weekend because that was the team he grew up idolizing.

Lip

I have no idea what is situation is with family or the Mariners, but it seems like a nice fit. The Sox need to clean house on the radio side, though. In a perfect world, John Rooney would come back, but I assume there's no chance of that happening.