PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Danks optioned to AAA

DonnieDarko
08-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Apparently, Ventura wants another bullpen arm.

I'll find a link ASAP.

Noneck
08-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Is an arm injured?

Gosh I hope a deal was made for a position player.

jcw218
08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Heard same on the post game show

SoxFanCPA
08-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Wise over Danks? Thanks for ruining my day.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Wow, kid hits a walk-off and is demoted.

kittle42
08-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Wise over Danks for the next 20 days makes little sense.

Somebody sell me on this.

Noneck
08-12-2012, 05:35 PM

I dont get it either. What happens if Paul comes back? Cant option Wise and if they need relief now, why wouldnt they need it then.

Maybe a deal is in the works.

sox1970
08-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Sox have no depth. Putting Wise on waivers is risky.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2012, 05:36 PM

As Red Buttons used to say ''Ho ho, hee hee, strange things are happening''.
We played one short the other night, now this. Deal in the works?

tstrike2000
08-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Grindy.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Wise obviously has some photos of Kenny Williams that he can use for blackmail.

Hopefully Olmedo goes and is replaced by Blum, Fontenot or Ankiel.

We'll see.

Lip

TDog
08-12-2012, 05:49 PM

The Sox probably want more playing time for Danks, and he hasn't been getting it with the Sox. He might have started today, except that Wise has hit Colon well in the past. In any case, the role Danks has had on the team is a role Wise is suited for, despite the Wise hatred at WSI. And, really, Wise isn't playing and frequently starting for the Yankees because the Yankees acquired Ichiro Suzuki. It isn't like you're talking about

The roisters will expand in a few weeks, and playing every day should make Danks a better player in September. If the Sox make the postseason, of course, the real question would be whether Danks or Wise makes that roster.

tick53
08-12-2012, 05:51 PM
All Danks did for them at his last at bat was hit a walkoff game winning home run. I can't believe we have Wise even back on this team!!! I don't care if he was two for four today, Danks is a highly touted high draft pick who with limited playing time is hitting 300.....Nice move!!!

balke
08-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Pitching is a bigger need - this way they don't have to risk losing Wise. 18 days and Danks will be back. No big deal.

Noneck
08-12-2012, 06:03 PM
The Sox probably want more playing time for Danks, and he hasn't been getting it with the Sox.

More playing time for less than 3 weeks, considering that he has been on the bench for a couple months already. Thats nonsense.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Gonzo just told me he thinks Santiago is going to be brought back up, gives Thornton a break to get things back together. Matt isn't being traded or sent down just wants to lessen his load.

We'll see.

Lip

tstrike2000
08-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Gonzo just told me he thinks Santiago is going to be brought back up, gives Thornton a break to get things back together. Matt isn't being traded or sent down just wants to lessen his load.

We'll see.

Lip

Which I hope is good because we'd like to see his load lessened, as well.

shingo10
08-12-2012, 06:12 PM

We'll see.

Lip

I can't stand Thornton. Every year he is complaining about pitching too many innings or too many days in a row or whatever else is bothering him. And then when he does pitch he sucks. Grr. If he can't handle it then please just replace him with Santiago.

As for Wise, whatever. Our current manager isn't going to stubbornly keep playing him for no reason at all.

dickallen15
08-12-2012, 06:13 PM
What is the fascination with Jordan Danks? After his home run his OPS is still lower than Gordon Beckham's. He's actually a little older than Gordon Beckham. I mention Beckham because if the Sox just cut him loose, half this board would be doing an Irish jig. Wise is no all star, but its pretty safe to assume he'll give you at least what Danks will give you right now at the major league level, and Danks comes back in 20 days.

slavko
08-12-2012, 06:15 PM

It's the old story: What have you done for me lately?

dickallen15
08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I can't stand Thornton. Every year he is complaining about pitching too many innings or too many days in a row or whatever else is bothering him. And then when he does pitch he sucks. Grr. If he can't handle it then please just replace him with Santiago.

As for Wise, whatever. Our current manager isn't going to stubbornly keep playing him for no reason at all.

Can you link a quote showing Thornton complaining just one time about his workload?

DickAllen72
08-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Hopefully Olmedo goes and is replaced by Blum, Fontenot or Ankiel.

We'll see.

Lip
I'd rather see Hudson go rather than Olmedo. I've been calling for Fontenot for a while now. There must be something wrong or he would've been signed by now.

Zisk77
08-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Expect a lot of minor roster shuffling before Aug. 31/ sept 1 deadline. Anyone playing prior is eligible for post season play. Gm's want lots of options. danks will be back and now he get some regular at bats. Expect johnson up here soon as well.

Hitmen77
08-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Appreciate the game!

dickallen15
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Expect a lot of minor roster shuffling before Aug. 31/ sept 1 deadline. Anyone playing prior is eligible for post season play. Gm's want lots of options. danks will be back and now he get some regular at bats. Expect johnson up here soon as well.

Dan Johnson is another guy I don't understand the fascination with. He hasn't hit above .200 in the major leagues in 5 years. Pretty good chance that's not going to change now.

TomBradley72
08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Now that Wise is called up (due to PK injury)- if they cut him- they risk losing him- so for a few weeks until the rosters expand and Danks comes back- the move makes sense- this is basically our last OF on the bench- so no big deal to me.

Makes sense to get an extra arm the way most of our starters can't consistently get past the 5th/6th inning (Floyd/Liriano especially).

I don't mind Wise as a 24th/25th guy on the roster- he was productive in the 2nd half of 2008 as well as the postseason- along with his great catch in the Buehrle perfecto in 2009-

doublem23
08-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Danks is a highly touted high draft pick

negative

doublem23
08-12-2012, 06:43 PM
I'd rather see Hudson go rather than Olmedo. I've been calling for Fontenot for a while now. There must be something wrong or he would've been signed by now.

Yeah, he sucks

DickAllen72
08-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah, he sucks
Worse than Hudson? I don't think so.

shingo10
08-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Can you link a quote showing Thornton complaining just one time about his workload?

He's complained each of the last three seasons about being overworked. In 2010 he asked for some rest, last year was the same. Earlier this year he was quoted as telling the rookies to speak up and tell people when their arms were dead and they needed rest. I will look back for the articles when I have more time.

I wouldn't care about it if he didn't then suck when he did get in to pitch.

dickallen15
08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
He's complained each of the last three seasons about being overworked. In 2010 he asked for some rest, last year was the same. Earlier this year he was quoted as telling the rookies to speak up and tell people when their arms were dead and they needed rest. I will look back for the articles when I have more time.

I wouldn't care about it if he didn't then suck when he did get in to pitch.
Link up the complaint. If he does it every year, it should be easy.

SoxSpeed22
08-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Hopefully Hector was improving his breaking stuff because we are going to need him during this stretch. With Wise here now, Danks was really the only one who was expendable to send down.

DumpJerry
08-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Wise over Danks? Thanks for ruining my day.

I dont get it either. What happens if Paul comes back? Cant option Wise and if they need relief now, why wouldnt they need it then.

Maybe a deal is in the works.
Options. A player has only so many of them.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I favored BA over Wise during that memorable era, but I have no problem with Wise as the 4th OF. It's not like Robin will have him lead off against RHP like Ozzie did. Our OF is set; Wise will play 1-2 times per week just to give our starters a breather, maybe a little more until Paulie returns.

amsteel
08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Wise did that one thing once

Danks did that one thing once

Seems pretty even to me

shingo10
08-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Link up the complaint. If he does it every year, it should be easy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0803-white-sox-chicago--20120803,0,6961538.story

This alludes to it...I know for a fact there was an article right around the all star break about him telling rookies to ask for time off when they need it, ect. I'm not saying he is doing anything wrong, I'd just prefer if he talked less and pitched better.

soxinem1
08-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Maybe Wise was brought back because:

1. It lets Danks get more playing time in AAA.
2. He is accustomed to the bench role.
3. He provides LH depth out of the bullpen.

JB98
08-12-2012, 10:59 PM
What is the fascination with Jordan Danks? After his home run his OPS is still lower than Gordon Beckham's. He's actually a little older than Gordon Beckham. I mention Beckham because if the Sox just cut him loose, half this board would be doing an Irish jig. Wise is no all star, but its pretty safe to assume he'll give you at least what Danks will give you right now at the major league level, and Danks comes back in 20 days.

Amen. We're talking about extra outfielders here. There shouldn't be any outrage about Jordan Danks heading back to AAA. He got a big hit Friday. Good for him. But he, like Wise, is nothing more than a depth player.

palehosepub
08-12-2012, 11:06 PM
i would love a trade but dont be surpised if Brian Bruney is brought up

sox1970
08-12-2012, 11:22 PM
i would love a trade but dont be surpised if Brian Bruney is brought up

He hasn't pitched in 9 days.

Daver
08-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Options. A player has only so many of them.

A player has an unlimited number of options, the team, however, only has three years in which they can exercise those options.

Mohoney
08-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Question 1: if Wise would have been put on waivers and went unclaimed, could he have been sent to the minors, or would he have earned the right to refuse the assignment because of the time he spent on the White Sox?

Question 2: if Wise was claimed on waivers, could the White Sox have pulled him back and made the Danks demotion anyway?

TDog
08-13-2012, 12:27 AM
More playing time for less than 3 weeks, considering that he has been on the bench for a couple months already. Thats nonsense.

What's nonsense is making such a big issue about Danks being sent to AAA for less than three weeks.

PalehosePlanet
08-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Question 1: if Wise would have been put on waivers and went unclaimed, could he have been sent to the minors, or would he have earned the right to refuse the assignment because of the time he spent on the White Sox?

Question 2: if Wise was claimed on waivers, could the White Sox have pulled him back and made the Danks demotion anyway?

Wise would have the right to refuse an assignment to AAA if he cleared waivers.

Basically, if a player clears waivers, the team either releases him outright or DFA's him then outrights him to AAA. At that point the player accepts or refuses the assignment.

CoopaLoop
08-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Wise did that one thing once

Danks did that one thing once

Seems pretty even to me

:clap:

Daver
08-13-2012, 12:34 AM

1. I would need to know if the White Sox purchased his minor league contract, I assume they did, and if so they would have to re-sign him. If he is on the roster under the minor league deal he was signed to he could be sent down upon clearing waivers.

2. He would have to be DFA'd, so, no, he could not be pulled back.

DSpivack
08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
1. I would need to know if the White Sox purchased his minor league contract, I assume they did, and if so they would have to re-sign him. If he is on the roster under the minor league deal he was signed to he could be sent down upon clearing waivers.

2. He would have to be DFA'd, so, no, he could not be pulled back.

Your assumption was correct.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/white-sox-call-dewayne-wise-200230245--mlb.html

Whenever I see the acronym DFA, I always think of Apocalypse Now and Death From Above. Which I suppose is a apt moniker to being released.

Noneck
08-13-2012, 12:39 AM
What's nonsense is making such a big issue about Danks being sent to AAA for less than three weeks.

Yes and stating that the reason he was sent down was to get playing time. He was sent because he has a option and Wise doesnt.

Tragg
08-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Gotta do it when you have a talent like DeWayne Wise. How can you possibly send a proven 34 year old veteran with a career .257 OBP down to the minors?

It's pretty obvious that the bizarre personnel choices since 2006 weren't all on Guillen.

And what the heck is Hudson still doing on this roster? Have they even looked at Fontenot? Good in the clubhouse - obviously more important to the Sox in the depths of the pennant race than is baseball skill.

DSpivack
08-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Gotta do it when you have a talent like DeWayne Wise. How can you possibly send a proven 34 year old veteran with a career .257 OBP down to the minors?

It's pretty obvious that the bizarre personnel choices since 2006 weren't all on Guillen.

And what the heck is Hudson still doing on this roster? Good in the clubhouse - obviously more important to the Sox in the depths of the pennant race than is baseball skill.

Despite that, his offensive numbers are better than Jordan Danks.

And, again, they can't send him down to the minors.

The Sox care so little about baseball skill that they have the 3rd best record in the AL.

Tragg
08-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Despite that, his offensive numbers are better than Jordan Danks.

And, again, they can't send him down to the minors.

The Sox care so little about baseball skill that they have the 3rd best record in the AL.

Yea - 639 OPS for Wise v. 621 for Danks. Wise has 942 plate appearances and Danks has 49.
But you got me. The exact level of logic we had since 2006 - coddle and make excuses for the lousy veteran and snipe at the young player.
Yea, the Sox are finding the best talent they can - .639 OBPs are exactly the level of talent you need in the pennant race, not to mention Hudson's .512 this season . Can't do better than that. - you got me again.

Noneck
08-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Yea - 639 OPS for Wise v. 621 for Danks. Wise has 942 plate appearances and Danks has 49.
But you got me. The exact level of logic we had since 2006 - coddle and make excuses for the lousy veteran and snipe at the young player.
Yea, the Sox are finding the best talent they can - .639 OBPs are exactly the level of talent you need in the pennant race, not to mention Hudson's .512 this season . Can't do better than that. - you got me again.

You know it really doesnt matter which one is on the club at this stage. They should only get a handful of at bats and both can pinch run and come in for defense. This way Wise and Danks will be with the club in september. Why Wise was brought up yesterday and suddenly a pitcher is needed on sunday but wasnt on saturday, heck if I know, unless a deal is in the works.

Zisk77
08-13-2012, 08:59 AM
You know it really doesnt matter which one is on the club at this stage. They should only get a handful of at bats and both can pinch run and come in for defense. This way Wise and Danks will be with the club in september. Why Wise was brought up yesterday and suddenly a pitcher is needed on sunday but wasnt on saturday, heck if I know, unless a deal is in the works.

because Liriana left the game prematurely and gavin has the same tendency. Therefore Robin doesn,t want to tax the bull pen. These games are going to be tight down the stretch.

Oh and people don't try to use reason with Tragg, His hate for Wise is legendary and unfathomably.

Dibbs
08-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I knew my Wise nightmare would turn into reality. Ghosts of Guillen.

dickallen15
08-13-2012, 09:18 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0803-white-sox-chicago--20120803,0,6961538.story

This alludes to it...I know for a fact there was an article right around the all star break about him telling rookies to ask for time off when they need it, ect. I'm not saying he is doing anything wrong, I'd just prefer if he talked less and pitched better.

He was cutting down on his workouts. How is that complaining he is pitching too often?

asindc
08-13-2012, 09:19 AM
because Liriana left the game prematurely and gavin has the same tendency. Therefore Robin doesn,t want to tax the bull pen. These games are going to be tight down the stretch.

Oh and people don't try to use reason with Tragg, His hate for Wise is legendary and unfathomably.

You mean to tell me that the Sox are not deliberately trying to stunt the growth of one of its young players by depriving him of 20-30 major league ABs over the next three weeks? What evidence do you have to support this view?

TaylorStSox
08-13-2012, 09:24 AM
All Danks did for them at his last at bat was hit a walkoff game winning home run. I can't believe we have Wise even back on this team!!! I don't care if he was two for four today, Danks is a highly touted high draft pick who with limited playing time is hitting 300.....Nice move!!!

:whiner:

4 pages about a 4th OF?

dickallen15
08-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Why can't Sox fans just enjoy being in first place instead of being up in arms about a 26 year old rookie with a .621 OPS being sent down to the minors for 3 weeks?

Does anyone really believe Jordan Danks not being here is really going to affect the Sox playoff chances?

TaylorStSox
08-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Why can't Sox fans just enjoy being in first place instead of being up in arms about a 26 year old rookie with a .621 OPS being sent down to the minors for 3 weeks?

Does anyone really believe Jordan Danks not being here is really going to affect the Sox playoff chances?

Sports talk radio, seriously.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Danks is a highly touted high draft pick

Don't let facts get in the way of beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Danks

dickallen15
08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Don't let facts get in the way of beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Danks

Yes, any team could have had Danks in the rule 5 this past winter. They all past. Their loss. When will the Jordan Danks statue be revealed?

Domeshot17
08-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Its just disappointing because of chemistry. I think Danks brought a very positive vibe to the clubhouse. And for all the people totally freaking out about Wise, the guy is extremely replacable. It is not like if we lost him we would be screwed.

That said, people here are seriously confused about the playoff roster rule. It is not just as simple as getting Wise eligible, if we leave Danks down, he now CAN'T be on the playoff roster.

To be eligible for a teamís playoff roster a player must be on either a) the 25 man active roster, b) the disabled list, c) the bereavement list, d) the suspended list as of August 31st at midnight.

DonnieDarko
08-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Its just disappointing because of chemistry. I think Danks brought a very positive vibe to the clubhouse. And for all the people totally freaking out about Wise, the guy is extremely replacable. It is not like if we lost him we would be screwed.

That said, people here are seriously confused about the playoff roster rule. It is not just as simple as getting Wise eligible, if we leave Danks down, he now CAN'T be on the playoff roster.

Man, and I was hoping to see him come playoffs, even if only as a pinch runner.

Domeshot17
08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Man, and I was hoping to see him come playoffs, even if only as a pinch runner.

I think he is one of our best defenders as well. If we are protecting a 1 run lead in the 8th, I would much rather have him in LF than Tank.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 10:57 AM
It is a much bigger issue that Rey Olmedo and Orlando Hudson are both on the active roster.

DonnieDarko
08-13-2012, 11:01 AM
It is a much bigger issue that Rey Olmedo and Orlando Hudson are both on the active roster.

This as well.

asindc
08-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Still not worth the carping and caterwauling.

Foulke You
08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I think he is one of our best defenders as well. If we are protecting a 1 run lead in the 8th, I would much rather have him in LF than Tank.
Wise is no slouch in the outfield either. He has plenty of range and takes good routes. Dwayne Wise is essentially Jordan Danks with more MLB experience. Both are plus defenders, both have plus speed, both can play any outfield positions, and both are left handed hitters. When you are trying to make a run at another World Series, why wouldn't we want the guy who has more experience facing MLB pitching over the rookie with the identical skill set?

doublem23
08-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Wise is no slouch in the outfield either. He has plenty of range and takes good routes. Dwayne Wise is essentially Jordan Danks with more MLB experience. Both are plus defenders, both have plus speed, both can play any outfield positions, and both are left handed hitters. When you are trying to make a run at another World Series, why wouldn't we want the guy who has more experience facing MLB pitching over the rookie with the identical skill set?

Well stated. I know Danks' calling card is his defense, but there were a few times he looked a little shaky in the field, I'm not sure if he's not used to the game at this level or it was just nerves, but it's not the end of the world that he's back in AAA. He has a future in the Majors, maybe regular playing time in a platoon or in an OF rotation, but for now Wise and Danks is kind of a lateral move.

I agree with the sentiment, though, that it's time to address the Hudson/Olmedo situation. I really don't understand why both are here.

dickallen15
08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Until his last AB when he went deep, Danks had a .260 OBP and a .271 SLG for a .531 OPS.

You are really looking for stuff to complain about when you complain about him going to AAA for 3 weeks and actually trying to make an argument about what a difference maker he is.

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Exactly.

It's not like Wise is supplanting one of our productive starting OFs, or leading off.

JB98
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM

On the basis of what? I'm sure Jordan is a good guy and all, but none of us are in the clubhouse or on the plane or in the hotel with these players.

I've always believed the manager is the one most responsible for setting the tone in the clubhouse anyway, not the fourth outfielder. People always said Kotsay was great in the clubhouse. Doesn't mean I want him on my team.

Yeah, you're right that Wise is replaceable, but so is Danks. Nevertheless, I'd prefer to see both kept in the organization. There isn't much depth here, so let's keep the depth we do have.

These two players are essentially the same guy. I can only assume the amount of carping about this is related to Danks hitting a big HR for the ballclub the other night. Danks will have his moments, but he's nothing more than a spare part in the long run. The same can be said of Wise, who had a strong game yesterday, but isn't going to set the world ablaze either.

This thread reminds me of the Fukudome thread last offseason. Pages and pages of teeth gnashing over an extra outfielder.

Tragg
08-13-2012, 02:01 PM
I heard two weeks ago "it's not like he's on the club - he's just signed for Charlotte". That lasted about 10 days. Now I hear he's not starting (he did yesterday) and not leading off (leading off??? My lord - we'd have to be mad to do that).
What is even tolerable about a .257 OBP? What makes him better than even Johnson or Jackson?
Is Wise a better baseball player than Danks?
No
The Sox have had a long blind spot for low OBP veteran ballplayers and it wasn't all Guillen. And he was popular when he was here.

But even further, there are any number of 4th and 5th outfielders (and infielders) that could be had for salary only. The Astros took 2 stiffs from Toronto, one of whom is an outfielder, so they could get more in prospects. He (and many others) could easily be had for salary.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I heard two weeks ago "it's not like he's on the club - he's just signed for Charlotte". That lasted about 10 days. Now I hear he's not starting (he did yesterday) and not leading off (leading off??? My lord - we'd have to be mad to do that).
What is even tolerable about a .257 OBP? What makes him better than even Johnson or Jackson?
No
The Sox have had a long blind spot for low OBP veteran ballplayers and it wasn't all Guillen. And he was popular when he was here.

But even further, there are any number of 4th and 5th outfielders (and infielders) that could be had for salary only. The Astros took 2 stiffs from Toronto, one of whom is an outfielder, so they could get more in prospects. He (and many others) could easily be had for salary.

You're making other peoples' point for them. We all agree Wise is barely a 25th man on a roster, and I don't think that anyone is going to disagree that the scrap heap could produce a comparable player, and that Johnson/Jackson are of a similar caliber overall. Thus, what does it really matter which of them it is?

Olmedo is worse than all of them.

Noneck
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Was a player called up or a player obtained? Less than 5 hours till game time. I sure hope they arent going to play with 24 again today.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Was a player called up or a player obtained? Less than 5 hours till game time. I sure hope they arent going to play with 24 again today.

They're calling up Santiago, I thought.

doublem23
08-13-2012, 02:39 PM

Trib just posted that Donnie Veal is coming back

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-lefthander-veal-recalled-by-white-sox-20120813,0,598808.story

doublem23
08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
No

Ha ha ha ha, Jesus Tap Dancing Christ, dude, calm the **** down.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
A bench of: Wise, Olmedo, Hudson, and Flowers is terrible.

A bench of: Danks, Olmedo, Hudson, and Flowers is terrible.

There isn't one guy I want up there pinch-hitting out of all those people.

SCCWS
08-13-2012, 02:54 PM

I think it would be great if they had a veteran bat coming off the bench. But this past weekend, Danks, Flowers and Wise all had big hits as starters. So who knows.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 02:58 PM
I think it would be great if they had a veteran bat coming off the bench. But this past weekend, Danks, Flowers and Wise all had big hits as starters. So who knows.

Would love to have a Greg Dobbs type.

WisSoxFan
08-13-2012, 03:02 PM

I'm not suggesting the bench is good, far from it. However, when the regular line-up is in the game who are you going to pinch hit for? Beckham and who else? My point is that the Sox 1 through 8 all bring something to the table so pinch hitters aren't a necessity either. It would still be nice to have a left handed bat with some pop you could run up there for Beckham or Viciedo from time to time, but I don't think that's holding the team back any. I think the biggest issue with the lack of bench isn't a lack of pinch hitters, but rather it forces Ventura to rely on his regulars virtually every, single day.

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Wise got a start on a Sunday, when starters often get a day off, and also on a day when the regular LF played DH, because the regular DH had to play first, because the regular 1B has a concussion.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Wise got a start on a Sunday, when starters often get a day off, and also on a day when the regular LF played DH, because the regular DH had to play first, because the regular 1B has a concussion.

It really doesn't need to even be explained. If it had been Danks, who is not much different than Wise, Tragg wouldn't be complaining.

TheVulture
08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm not suggesting the bench is good, far from it. However, when the regular line-up is in the game who are you going to pinch hit for? Beckham and who else?

Who else do you need? A pinch hitter can only pinch hit once a game, unfortunately no one is worth pinch hitting even for Beckham against an unfavorable match up.

Still, the regulars are not always going to be in the lineup. If you've got Olmedo or Wise subbing it would be nice to have someone who can come in hit when the time is right. Especially in the World Series.

WisSoxFan
08-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Who else do you need? A pinch hitter can only pinch hit once a game, unfortunately no one is worth pinch hitting even for Beckham against an unfavorable match up.

Still, the regulars are not always going to be in the lineup. If you've got Olmedo or Wise subbing it would be nice to have someone who can come in hit when the time is right. Especially in the World Series.

If Olmedo or Wise were playing wouldn't the pinch hitter be Youkilis or Viciedo or whoever they were playing for.

The part of my post that says lack of pinch hitters isn't holding the team back was left out and I'll stand by that statement.

Mohoney
08-14-2012, 12:06 AM
If Olmedo or Wise were playing wouldn't the pinch hitter be Youkilis or Viciedo or whoever they were playing for.

The part of my post that says lack of pinch hitters isn't holding the team back was left out and I'll stand by that statement.

I guess the point would be that it would be nice to have a pinch hitter if, say, Viciedo is pulled for defensive purposes in the 9th when the Sox have a lead, the Sox squander that lead, and Viciedo's spot in the lineup comes up again in extra innings.

Another hypothetical could be, in this same situation, while Paulie is still out, Youk moves from 3B to 1B in the 9th to spell Dunn, and one of Hudson/Olmedo replaces Youk. If the game went extra innings, it would be nice to be able to hit for Hudson or Olmedo.

Other than that, I wouldn't see too much of a need for anybody to pinch hit for any of the regulars in any situation, except for a LH hitter to hit for Beckham if you're trailing late.

bigdommer
08-16-2012, 12:02 PM
:whiner:

4 pages about a 4th OF?

He really should be a 5th or 6th OF. Wise's top 3 career accomplishments: saving the perfect game, making the fake catch in Yankee Stadium, and the man who stunted Jordan Danks career.

CHISOXFAN13
08-16-2012, 12:15 PM
He really should be a 5th or 6th OF. Wise's top 3 career accomplishments: saving the perfect game, making the fake catch in Yankee Stadium, and the man who stunted Jordan Danks career.

Guess we are forgetting his clutch hit that helped win the game Tuesday and a 4 RBI performance yesterday.

I'm not claiming he's an everyday player, but he's been a key contributor to the last two wins.

kobo
08-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Yet he's produced more in a week than Danks did in a month+.

bigdommer
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Guess we are forgetting his clutch hit that helped win the game Tuesday and a 4 RBI performance yesterday.

I'm not claiming he's an everyday player, but he's been a key contributor to the last two wins.

Wow that flew by.

JB98
08-16-2012, 01:49 PM

He's not stunting Jordan Danks career. Danks isn't a prospect anymore. He's a 26-year-old who spent three years at AAA. He projects as a career fourth outfielder. People need to get over this idea that Jordan Danks is somehow a big part of the Sox future. He is not.

slavko
08-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Yet he's produced more in a week than Danks did in a month+.

That's the philosophical point. The veteran journeyman most often produces more in the here and now than the rookie. The result is that the rookie doesn't play and never developes. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Some teams, some teams' fans, are willing to deal with growing pains. We're not.

bigdommer
08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
He's not stunting Jordan Danks career. Danks isn't a prospect anymore. He's a 26-year-old who spent three years at AAA. He projects as a career fourth outfielder. People need to get over this idea that Jordan Danks is somehow a big part of the Sox future. He is not.

Gotta follow the feed. The comment was a half joking response to another post about "4 pages about a 4th OF." Nobody thinks this is stunting Jordan's career. Neither of these guys figure into the Sox future, and they shouldn't figure into the Sox present either, if they want to make a postseason run. Jordan could turn into a D'Aza, a Wise, or career AAA guy. Who knows. This move is about bench depth in October and has little to do with who they think is better in August.

voodoochile
08-16-2012, 02:01 PM

He already stunted BA's career too, will the career wrecking ball named Dewayne Wise ever be stopped?

OH THE HUMANITY!

TheOldRoman
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Gotta follow the feed. The comment was a half joking response to another post about "4 pages about a 4th OF." Nobody thinks this is stunting Jordan's career. Neither of these guys figure into the Sox future, and they shouldn't figure into the Sox present either, if they want to make a postseason run. Jordan could turn into a D'Aza, a Wise, or career AAA guy. Who knows. This move is about bench depth in October and has little to do with who they think is better in August.Okay. Which readily available bench players should they have acquired? Do you really think that having either Jordan Danks or Wise on the team will hurt their chances of making the playoffs? If not, I don't know what you are arguing.

QueerGirrl
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
He already stunted BA's career too, will the career wrecking ball named Dewayne Wise ever be stopped?

OH THE HUMANITY!

:rolling: That is hilarious!