PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-12 Sale-a-brate a Wise series win; SOX 7 OAK 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Another nice outing from Sale. Reed made it more interesting than necessary with the HR, but that's better than walks or HBPs. With a 5-run lead, just throw strikes.

Wise with a nice return.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Jones also had a nice outing. I also love how AJ scored from first on the ground out, thanks to the little league brain fart by the Oakland infield.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Nice solid win, now if Texas holds on it will a great day. Go up by 2 and 3 in the loss column.

I was hoping for 6-3 on the homestand but those damn Royals spoiled the plan, have to live with 5-4.

doublem23
08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Reed made it more interesting than necessary with the HR, but that's better than walks or HBPs. With a 5-run lead, just throw strikes.

Give me a break, the A's WPA never rose above 0.5%. A solo HR with a 5-run lead and 1 out in the 9th inning is essentially meaningless. Congratulations to Derek Norris for padding his stats in garbage time.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Give me a break, the A's WPA never rose above 0.5%. A solo HR with a 5-run lead and 1 out in the 9th inning is essentially meaningless. Congratulations to Derek Norris for padding his stats in garbage time.

Oh, I agree that it was almost completely meaningless. I am glad Reed was throwing strikes.

voodoochile
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Another nice outing from Sale. Reed made it more interesting than necessary with the HR, but that's better than walks or HBPs. With a 5-run lead, just throw strikes.

Wise with a nice return.

Well I disagree that Reed "made it interesting" in any way. With a 5-run lead he did exactly what he is supposed to do, throw strikes. If people were nervous in the 9th, that's on them. The Sox were firmly in control.

Great game by Sale and AJ. Haven't seen that mistake since I left peewee league. In fact I made it one time as a catcher, but that's far to embarrassing for me and this maybe the first time I've ever told anyone other than my father who consoled me when it happened. Maybe the A's can go for ice cream and get over the pain.

Hope those Rangers can hold on and the Sox play well in Toronto. We owe that team a few up north there, eh?

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :bandance:

October26
08-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Great win. I am very happy that on my only day off this week, I was able to see the Sox play well and win the series against the A's. Now hoping that the Rangers hold on and beat the Tigers.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Sale 9-1 after Sox losses this year. When was the last time we had a starter with a 14-3 record? Some say pitchers' W-L records are meaningless, but in this case I think it's pretty significant.

SoxSpeed22
08-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Nice way to rebound from yesterday's loss. Wise making his presence felt already, fortunately, the A's helped us out quite a bit with their mistakes. Tough stretch coming up, just have to keep pluggin away.

PalehosePlanet
08-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Very nice win after a tough loss last night.

Nitpicking here, but, I wish Robin would have played Olmedo for Alexei instead of Youkilis. Alexei has played more than any of our regulars and we need to keep him fresh down the stretch. Youk seems to get 3 days off a week.

fram40
08-12-2012, 04:16 PM
disappointing 5 -4 homestand. although they may wind up losing only 1/2 game in the standings. They were 2.5 up when they got home - could be 2.0 up if texas wins.

Now I want a 5 - 2 road trip. And a healthy PK in the lineup on Friday in KC

DickAllen72
08-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Here's to A.J. Pierzynski! :gulp:

DickAllen72
08-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Nitpicking here, but, I wish Robin would have played Olmedo for Alexei instead of Youkilis. Alexei has played more than any of our regulars and we need to keep him fresh down the stretch. Youk seems to get 3 days off a week.
Youk was HBP last night, probably had something to do with it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 04:22 PM

It looked like he had some sort of wrap on his forearm.

doublem23
08-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Oh, I agree that it was almost completely meaningless. I am glad Reed was throwing strikes.

I guess I just took offense to the wording, Reed gave up a HR, but otherwise had a nice inning of work. Looked good.

doublem23
08-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Yeah, in the postgame press conference, Robin said Youk's arm and a knee injury were bugging him. Gave him a day off but he could have played had something happened.

tstrike2000
08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Don't want to sound ungrateful but really wanted a 7-2 homestand. Not pounding Cy Chen and/or Guthrie, to go along with last night's pitching implosion, is frustrating before heading out on the road. But...a series win over Oakland is a nice way to end it and the offense has looked good the last few days in Paulie's absence. 6 weeks left in the regular season. Let's win this.

sox1970
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't want to sound ungrateful but really wanted a 7-2 homestand. Not pounding Cy Chen and/or Guthrie, to go along with last night's pitching implosion, is frustrating before heading out on the road. But...a series win over Oakland is a nice way to end it and the offense has looked good the last few days in Paulie's absence. 6 weeks left in the regular season. Let's win this.

6-3 would have been nice.

7.5 weeks left.

tstrike2000
08-12-2012, 04:49 PM
6-3 would have been nice.

7.5 weeks left.

Oops, yes, 7 weeks. Read my fantasy league schedule wrong.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2012, 04:53 PM
We'll see how much Youk plays on that turf up north the next few days.

Hopefully PK gets cleared tomorrow and gets back to work Friday.

Thank God for Chris Sale.

Regarding 14-3, I know James Baldwin started off 9-1 in 1996 if memory serves.

LaMarr Hoyt was 9-0 in 1982.

Gary Peters was 12-5 after 17 decisions in 1963 (on his way to a 19-6 record)

Wilbur Wood was 13-4 after 17 decisions in 1973.

Eric King was 12-4 on the year in 1990.

Richard Dotson was 11-3 after 14 decisions in 1984.

14 of the next 20 on the road thanks to the "kind" schedule makers.

Lip

TDog
08-12-2012, 05:21 PM
I would have loved to have been in the park today to see Pierzynski score from first on a groundout to short. There weren't any errors on the play, and I'm not sure why the official scorer didn't give Ramirez an RBI on that play after seeing hitters get credit for RBI and sacrifice flies on fly outs that score runners from second. It amazes me how often Pierzynski does things that remind me how baseball-smart Pierzynski is.

Of course, he got what used to be called the game-winning hit. After Gomes tied the score with a home run against Sale (just as he tied it with a home run against Thornton last night -- he is in the game because he has been hitting home runs against lefties), Pierzynski drove in the first earned runs Colon had allowed in 28.2 innings. But what essentially put the Sox in position to win was the three runs after two out and none on that followed, knocking out Colon in the process. The Wise two-strike, two-out single to score Viciedo (who A's radio said Wise was replacing in the lineup today) and the Beckham two-strike, two-out hit after the intentional walk to De Aza (because Colon was confident he could get Beckham out) kept the game from becoming interesting. Although the seventh run the Sox scored was certainly interesting. Unfortunately, my cable provider blacked out the TBS game, and I had to watch Ray Fosse and Glen Kuiper complain about how Pierzynki's home run wouldn't have been out in most ballparks.

I wasn't confident that the Sox would gain ground on the Tigers today, as well as Colon had been pitching an as poorly as Darvish has been pitching for the Rangers. Fortunately, the Sox took advantage of some sloppy play by the A's before getting to Colon and the Tigers wilted under the 100-degree sun in the DFW Metroplex.

DonnieDarko
08-12-2012, 05:21 PM
The Tigers lost, so that means the White Sox are back to 2.0 games in first place. Considering that things could have been a lot worse for this homestand, I'll take it. It's looking more and more like this division race is going to go down the wire. Tigers just don't want to fade away. Unfortunately for the aforementioned Tigers, the White Sox seem to love first place and have a lot of fight in them.

I'm not going to say that it's a for sure thing, but I think the White Sox might actually take this division.

fram40
08-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Lip

all that means is a six game homestand wrapped by two seven game road trips. After that stretch they have a 10 game homstand that ends with a four game series vs Tigers.

Only three homestands left.

Crooked Number
08-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Wonderful day at the park. I lucked into some tickets this morning (thanks to my roommate), and to my amazement they were sec 143 second row behind the Sox dugout! Best seats of my life. It was such a pleasure to be able to witness Sale's dominance up close, and AJ's historic run scored on a 6-3 fielders choice.

Great win, and my prediction of two out of three from the A's worked out. On to the house of Canadian horrors. Sox need a big week here, they can really capitalize with a solid trip.

Noneck
08-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Lip

Lip,

Joel Horlen was 14-3 at about this time in 67.

oldgrouch
08-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Youk needs to buck up a bit. Every time he gets a sore pimple on his
butt he takes a day off. Take a lesson from AJ!

Brian26
08-12-2012, 06:00 PM

Lip

Some more-

Buehrle was 11-3 in 2009. Loaiza was 11-2 and then 15-5 in 2003.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Noneck:

Doing a check shows that to the best of my knowledge the last time a Sox pitcher started 14-3 in 17 decisions was Horlen.

He won his 14th game on August 18, 67 the first game of a DH at home against Baltimore 3-1.

Lip

Noneck
08-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Noneck:

Doing a check shows that to the best of my knowledge the last time a Sox pitcher started 14-3 in 17 decisions was Horlen.

He won his 14th game on August 18, 67 the first game of a DH at home against Baltimore 3-1.

Lip

Amazing and I dont know what I had for breakfast, oh well.

amsteel
08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
3-3 on the week. Gotta do better than that.

Gotta at least split with the Jays and take 2 of 3 in KC. Keep on with the offense.

SCCWS
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Youk got hit in the arm w a pitch last night. It was not a rest but a precaution.

Railsplitter
08-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Jones also had a nice outing. I also love how AJ scored from first on the ground out, thanks to the little league brain fart by the Oakland infield.

And this doesn't make Sports Center or Baseball tonight (at least from what I saw.

jcw218
08-12-2012, 09:53 PM
And this doesn't make Sports Center or Baseball tonight (at least from what I saw.

This is ESPN after all. If it did not happen east of PA or west of the Rockies it did not occur.

JB98
08-12-2012, 10:06 PM
The two-out offense was nice to see in that sixth inning. A base hit by Wise plated Viciedo. Olmedo kept the rally going, then Beckham broke the game open with a two-run single after the A's intentionally walked De Aza to get to him. Key hits from guys you wouldn't expect to get key hits.

Sale was terrific again. One of the key points of the season was when the Sox rescinded the ridiculous decision to put Sale in the bullpen. He's our ace and he could finish in the top five of the Cy Young voting this year.

doublem23
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Youk needs to buck up a bit. Every time he gets a sore pimple on his
butt he takes a day off. Take a lesson from AJ!

Give me a ****ing break, he's sat out 3 games since the Sox picked him up.

Harry Potter
08-12-2012, 10:28 PM

This is ESPN after all. If it did not happen east of PA or west of the Rockies it did not occur.

If you have MLB Network, there is no reason to watch Sports Center, Baseball Tonight, or anything other baseball programming on ESPN anymore.

MLB Network definitely had the AJ play on tonight

doublem23
08-12-2012, 10:43 PM
A's/White Sox highlights on SportsCenter next, SO WE'LL ALL GET TO FIND OUT

EDIT - Nope, they showed Sale's awkward power slide and Pierzynski's HR.

slavko
08-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Been watching that AJ play, gets better every time I see it. He checked out the corner of his eye to see that Carter had his eyes down before he took off from 3rd. Great sucker play, reminds me of the one we all know from 2005 when he deked going back to the dugout and wound up stealing 1st base. To those writing the stories calling it a fielder's choice, no it wasn't. And Alexei deserves a RBI.

AJ has to be back here next year and I hope a White Sox lifer. Problem is, we have a manager who's likely to be here a long time.

CoopaLoop
08-12-2012, 11:00 PM
A.J play http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=23858931&topic_id=11493214

doublem23
08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Official box score doesn't give Alexei an RBI, how does he not get credit for one? Grounded out, no errors on the play, run scores. Fielder's indifference?

CoopaLoop
08-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Fielder's incompetence* it's a new Billy Beane stat

RadioheadRocks
08-12-2012, 11:39 PM

Eastern
Seaboard
Propaganda
Network

That's all you need to know.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Official box score doesn't give Alexei an RBI, how does he not get credit for one? Grounded out, no errors on the play, run scores. Fielder's indifference?I don't get that either, unless they credited AJ with a steal of home.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Okay, I found the explanation. MLB rule 10.04 states:

(c) The official scorer's judgment must determine whether a run batted in shall be credited for a run that scores when a fielder holds the ball or throws to a wrong base. Ordinarily, if the runner keeps going, the official scorer should credit a run batted in; if the runner stops and takes off again when the runner notices the misplay, the official scorer should credit the run as scored on a fielder's choice.

So, there you have it. AJ stopped at third, noticed the fielder holding the ball, and took off for home. It's a fielder's choice, no RBI.

Noneck
08-13-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't get that either, unless they credited AJ with a steal of home.

Like a stolen base isnt counted on defensive indifference, an rbi isnt counted on fielders indifference?

Ok explanation is above.

slavko
08-13-2012, 06:03 AM

(c) The official scorer's judgment must determine whether a run batted in shall be credited for a run that scores when a fielder holds the ball or throws to a wrong base. Ordinarily, if the runner keeps going, the official scorer should credit a run batted in; if the runner stops and takes off again when the runner notices the misplay, the official scorer should credit the run as scored on a fielder's choice.

So, there you have it. AJ stopped at third, noticed the fielder holding the ball, and took off for home. It's a fielder's choice, no RBI.

Fielder's choice to do nothing? So it is. Ya got me.

Jollyroger2
08-13-2012, 07:54 AM
The Tigers lost, so that means the White Sox are back to 2.0 games in first place. Considering that things could have been a lot worse for this homestand, I'll take it. It's looking more and more like this division race is going to go down the wire. Tigers just don't want to fade away. Unfortunately for the aforementioned Tigers, the White Sox seem to love first place and have a lot of fight in them.

I'm not going to say that it's a for sure thing, but I think the White Sox might actually take this division.

Do the Sox have fight in them? That's what's maddening about them. Sometimes they battle and show heart, etc. and then sometimes they don't even show up, against the likes of KC, the Cubs, etc. Wins they should be getting and if they had shown up, their division lead would be larger.

That, plus the fact they have only won four of eleven vs. Detroit with seven more to play vs them, tells me they still have a huge uphill battle for the division even if they are in 1st place right now. Their last time out vs. Detroit they rolled over like cupcakes.

doublem23
08-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Do the Sox have fight in them? That's what's maddening about them. Sometimes they battle and show heart, etc. and then sometimes they don't even show up, against the likes of KC, the Cubs, etc. Wins they should be getting and if they had shown up, their division lead would be larger.

Once again, for the millionth time, the Sox have the 3rd best record in the AL against sub-.500 teams.

asindc
08-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Once again, for the millionth time, the Sox have the 3rd best record in the AL against sub-.500 teams.

I'm sure you'll have to make it 1,000,001 before long.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2012, 09:38 AM
If you have MLB Network, there is no reason to watch Sports Center, Baseball Tonight, or anything other baseball programming on ESPN anymore.

I agree. Thank God Con-Cast carries the MLB network.It is my savior when I have to work until 8:30 at night,or be at work by 6:30 AM.:cool:

Jollyroger2
08-13-2012, 12:01 PM

Hey we're all thrilled about that. Do they get a banner for that? They've lost home series to teams like KC, the god-awful Astros and the Cubs. If they had won more of those games, maybe they'd have the best record in the AL against that kind of trash and a bigger division lead.

They should be winning against these types of teams, but they don't all the time.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
They should be winning against these types of teams, but they don't all the time.

And neither does ANY team, yet the Sox win more of these than 11 other AL teams.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Hey we're all thrilled about that. Do they get a banner for that? They've lost home series to teams like KC, the god-awful Astros and the Cubs. If they had won more of those games, maybe they'd have the best record in the AL against that kind of trash and a bigger division lead.

**** happens. The Sox aren't going to be "on" every single game. Sometimes you lose a series to a clearly inferior opponent. The last series, the Royals had three garbage pitchers pull three great starts out of their asses. Stuff like that will happen. Also, when we played the Astros, they weren't as bad as they are now. Their free-fall happened after we played them. Also, the Sox are 5-1 against the Mariners, while the amazing Tigers are 1-5. The Sox also have a better record against the Twins than the Tigers do. The only thing is that the Royals lay down for the Tigers every time they play, while they always seem to play with a chip on their shoulder against the Sox. So EVERY team has their share of struggles against lesser opponents.

Frankly, I'm more concerned what the Sox do against the Tigers. More and more, it's looking like that will ultimately decide who wins this division. They need to start playing better against them.

cards press box
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM

I, too, would have been more upset with a walk than with a home run in garbage time in a 7-2 game in the 9th inning.

Nice game and nice homestand with good wins coming from two playoff contenders out west.

:winner

TDog
08-13-2012, 12:38 PM

I understand that, but there was no error charged on the play. If the run was scored because of a misplay, then the run shouldn't be charged against the pitcher as earned. (Even if there had been an error charged on the play, the run would have been earned because the error wouldn't have resulted in an out, and a hit followd, but if there had been no hit, there is nothing in scoring the play as a fielder's choice that makes the run unearned.)

The idea is that Ramirez didn't actually drive in the run. There was runner on first, breaking with the pitch. Ramirez put the ball in play, not getting a hit, but putting the runner in scoring position. Pierzynski was at second by the time to ball was thrown to first and broke for third when he saw no one covering. The catcher seeing there was no one covering third ran to cover the base. Pierzynski seeing Carter (who is not at all a good first baseman) had no interest in throwing the ball to third and ceased paying attention thinking the play was over, broke for home where the pticher wasn't covering for the vacated catcher. The game was moving much faster for the inexperienced A's than it was for Pierzynski.

The thing is, I have seen hitters credited with sacrifice flies (RBIs and no times at bat) when runners from second stopped at third and continued home when they saw outfielders slow in getting up form the ground after a catch. Maybe this rule addresses those situations.

Still, if a hitter puts a ball in play and the result is a run scored without the defense making an error, there should be an RBI.

I also understand that the term "fielder's choice" is a catch-all. If a runner is thrown out after a ball gets away from a catcher, it isn't a caught stealing because there would not have been a stolen base. It's a fielder's choice. You can't say that a team that celebrated pulling within four the half inning before was indifferent defensively to Pierzynski scoring in the bottom of the inning, so it isn't defensive indiffernce. Still, the fielders on the Ramirez grounder made two choices. Get the out at first and do nothing to stop the runner who was on first to circle the bases.

I would have charged an error or given Ramirez an RBI on the play. But the league would probably have taken it away on review.

JB98
08-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Not this **** again. :gah:

voodoochile
08-13-2012, 12:49 PM
AJ clearly scored because someone made a mental mistake. Since mistake and error are synonyms, it seems logical to give someone an error, but who?

However, how do they score a bunt where the pitcher and 2B both forget or are not tasked to cover first and the batter is safe as a result?

This seems a similar play, the only issue being whether Alexei gets an RBI...

doublem23
08-13-2012, 12:50 PM

And the same can be said for just about any other team including the Tigers who are barely above .500 against teams that have a losing record.

The point is you keep bringing up this same, tired point over and over again that, in your reality, the Sox are horrible against inferior opponents, but the truth is they do it better than almost everyone else in the A.L. There are plenty of reasons why they don't have a commanding division lead, but their play against crap ass teams is not one of them.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 12:54 PM
What is it about facts and logic that some people really, really dislike?

TDog
08-13-2012, 01:27 PM
AJ clearly scored because someone made a mental mistake. Since mistake and error are synonyms, it seems logical to give someone an error, but who?

However, how do they score a bunt where the pitcher and 2B both forget or are not tasked to cover first and the batter is safe as a result?

This seems a similar play, the only issue being whether Alexei gets an RBI...

Jerome Holtzman advocated team errors when no individual could be held responsible. It was never adopted, although it wouldn't have hurt baseball as much as his save rule.

If Pierzynski hadn't stopped, Ramirez would have an RBI, but hesitating at third is probably what made the play work, making the first baseman think the play was over when he could see neither that catcher nor pitcher was covering first.

This is the second time this season that I've seen a White Sox runner from first score on a groundout. Youkilis did it on a play where he broke for third on a Dunn groundout taking advantage of the shift. But on that play there was an error on the ill-advised throw to third.

bunkaroo
08-13-2012, 01:57 PM
I was watching the reply again on AJ scoring, and it sure looked like Alexei was safe at first to me. Not sure if that got lost in all the commotion of AJ scoring from first, but it was really close at the bag. Anyone else see it that way? Maybe it was just the angle.

everafan
08-13-2012, 03:12 PM
I agree. Thank God Con-Cast carries the MLB network.It is my savior when I have to work until 8:30 at night,or be at work by 6:30 AM.:cool:

Except since it's on round the clock I never know if I just missed the Sox update of if it is coming up - since I have no patience it doesn't work for me.

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
What is it about facts and logic that some people really, really dislike?

Because facts and logic often contradict opinion and preconceived notions.

kittle42
08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Because facts and logic often contradict opinion and preconceived notions.

I guess fantasy worlds *are* more comfortable than reality! :wink: