PDA

View Full Version : Lofton to Giants?

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2002, 10:20 PM
Caught the end of the sports report on CLTV. They were talking about what was going to be in Saturday's Tribune, and they made mention of a possible trade of Lofton to the Giants for a minor leaguer.

I'll post the story later on when its' up on the web.

LongDistanceFan
07-26-2002, 10:27 PM
where i live, the sports talk radio was mentioning clee going there. i found that as well in either espn or cbs or fox. i don't remember which. the way the sox are trading, i rather the sox hold on to clee and wait till next yr.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-26-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Caught the end of the sports report on CLTV. They were talking about what was going to be in Saturday's Tribune, and they made mention of a possible trade of Lofton to the Giants for a minor leaguer.

I'll post the story later on when its' up on the web.

You actually pay attention to what Cubbies Lose TV says? Spare me.

TheBigHurt
07-26-2002, 10:31 PM
wouldnt be to surpries if KW traded Lofton for a new pair of socks

doublem23
07-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
wouldnt be to surpries if KW traded Lofton for a new pair of socks

If we get that much for Kenny, I'll be happy.

:lofton
I suck!

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
You actually pay attention to what Cubbies Lose TV says? Spare me.

From Jayson Stark at espn:

Several clubs burning up the phone lines report the Giants are one of the most aggressive teams out there. With Tsuyoshi Shinjo out (strained right hamstring), they've stepped up their pursuit of a center fielder (the Rockies' Todd Hollandsworth and Kenny Lofton of the White Sox are the two names being mentioned most to fill the Giants' need). And they're looking for both right-handed and left-handed relievers. The Giants actually have turned into both sellers and buyers. The biggest name they're selling continues to be Livan Hernandez, who -- according to some rumblings -- has expressed a desire to go elsewhere.

danman31
07-26-2002, 11:10 PM
Livan likely wouldn't be going to the Sox because he wants to stay in the NL so he can hit. He is batting .275 or something like that. Maybe we can DH him!

WinningUgly!
07-26-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Livan likely wouldn't be going to the Sox because he wants to stay in the NL so he can hit. He is batting .275 or something like that. Maybe we can DH him!

Livan is a great hitter. Imagine the numbers he could put up if he got to bat every day.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by danman31

We'd be getting a minor league stiff I'm sure.

Chili-Sox
07-26-2002, 11:28 PM
Bruce Levine mentioned during the radio pre-game show that a trade of Lofton and possibly Howry to the Giants for Fultz (I think this is who he said) is nearly a done deal and could be announced tomorrow.

Daver
07-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Chili-Sox
Bruce Levine mentioned during the radio pre-game show that a trade of Lofton and possibly Howry to the Giants for Fultz (I think this is who he said) is nearly a done deal and could be announced tomorrow.

Hey welcome aboard. :redneck

Chili-Sox
07-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by daver

Hey welcome aboard. :redneck

Thanks. Long time lurker, first time poster.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Chili-Sox

Didn't the Sox orginally accquire Howry from the Giants as part of the White Flag trade? Good grief! Howry hasn't been as effective this season, but I don't think trading him for nothing will improve this ballclub. I don't care about the Lofton deal. Maybe his departure would allow the Sox to call up Joe Borchard and give him some playing time.

:KW

"Actually, I was thinking of including Borchard in the deal. We will receive Livan Hernandez and Shawn Dunston in return."

Daver
07-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Didn't the Sox orginally accquire Howry from the Giants as part of the White Flag trade? Good grief! Howry hasn't been as effective this season, but I don't think trading him for nothing will improve this ballclub. I don't care about the Lofton deal. Maybe his departure would allow the Sox to call up Joe Borchard and give him some playing time.

You won't see Joe till there is a new CBA.

kevingrt
07-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Bruce Levine, Chicago WhiteSox Beat Reporter, says the trade could happen as early as tommorow. I can't wait to see Rowand as an everyday player @ CF in Chicago...

Daver
07-27-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
I can't wait to see Rowand as an everyday player @ CF in Chicago...

I hope you forgot to write that in teal.......

HawkDJ
07-27-2002, 12:07 AM
Normally you can at least kind of see KW's though process in trades. Trying to acquire a veteran pitcher in Ritchie, a young pitcher in Adkins. But this, I can't explain. Fultz is a reliever who is 28 and has a 5 something ERA. I'm lost!

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 12:13 AM
I hope you forgot to write that in teal.......

Even though he shouldn't be there, Harris would move to center if Kenny was traded.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2002, 12:17 AM

Even though he shouldn't be there, Harris would move to center if Kenny was traded.

Of course. Harris moving to center would qualifty as tinkering, and Manuel loves to do that, as we know all too well.

BuehrleACE56
07-27-2002, 01:38 AM
i hope they move K-Lo. he's not gonna be around next year. Giants could use him without bonds and shinjo in their OF. I would like to get Livan Hernandez and maybe a prospect. this fultz guy sounds like he stinks. send the gascan for whomever, he's worthless. ginter is way way better. if Kenny goes i think rowand and/or borchard willl get the job. hopefully rowand. jerry manuel talked like harris was gonna play 2nd base and not get moved around. fine with me.

borchard shmorchard. we got rowand. it's aaron time!

kevingrt
07-27-2002, 10:40 AM
I hear everyone talking about moving Harris to CF, but then who would play 2B, Hummel, or Graffinino? I'd rather see more young players then players like Graffy in the line-up, nothing againt Tony G. I guess Hummel wouldn't be bad though...

HawkDJ
07-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
I hear everyone talking about moving Harris to CF, but then who would play 2B, Hummel, or Graffinino? I'd rather see more young players then players like Graffy in the line-up, nothing againt Tony G. I guess Hummel wouldn't be bad though...

Probably Jiminez.

dougs78
07-27-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Didn't the Sox orginally accquire Howry from the Giants as part of the White Flag trade? Good grief! Howry hasn't been as effective this season, but I don't think trading him for nothing will improve this ballclub.

payroll, payroll, payroll.....Howry is set to earn like 3.2 million next year. I think we can live without paying 3.2 million for a middle reliever who is not even too great.

soxtalker
07-27-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

payroll, payroll, payroll.....Howry is set to earn like 3.2 million next year. I think we can live without paying 3.2 million for a middle reliever who is not even too great.

And he has been playing rather well lately, which might make him attractive to a team in contention.

spaz
07-27-2002, 02:50 PM
If kw could pull off this trade it would not be a bad one. I mean if he could dump gascan and lofton for livan it would be a worthwhile trade

Though livan's strikeout rate has gone down in the last couple years, and also his era has gone up, and he also has worked a ton of innings the last couple years. However I think he would make a decent third or forth starter, if all kw has to do is give them lofton and a couple relivers I say go for it!

Jjav829
07-27-2002, 02:54 PM
Whatever the Giants are hoping to change, they'll have to do it fast, as they trail the first-place Diamondbacks by five games after losing four of their last five. That could come via a trade, as ESPN Radio is reporting that San Francisco is close to finalizing a deal with the White Sox that would bring center fielder Kenny Lofton and right-handed reliever Bob Howry -- a former Giant -- as early as Saturday.

"I think we're inclined to do something and I think it's reasonable to think that we will," said general manager Brian Sabean on his weekly radio show on KNBR. "I don't know that it's going to be of the grand variety, but it would be something that will help the ballclub."

Ironically, Lofton has been dealing with a right hamstring problem for the past two months, the same injury that has recently sidelined Barry Bonds, Reggie Sanders and Tsuyoshi Shinjo. He is owed about $350,000 this season and will be a free agent during the winter. Howry, who was dealt to the White Sox from the Giants in a 1997 trade deadline deal, has struggled with a loss of velocity since shoulder surgery two years ago but had his best outing of the season Tuesday against Minnesota when he threw two perfect innings and struck out three. He has a 4.15 ERA in 47 2/3 innings.

Any deal with the White Sox would likely include one or more of the Giants' pitching prospects like Kurt Ainsworth, Jerome Williams, Jesse Foppert or Boof Bonser . Chicago could also be interested in Livan Hernandez and is also looking for help at the catching position.

Uhhh...what are the people at MLB.com smoking that they think KW could possibly pull a trade off for these guys? IF he somehow manages to pull off a trade like this, I will forgive him for getting nothing for Durham.

kermittheefrog
07-27-2002, 03:13 PM
I would actually like to see T-Graff get regular playing time at second. Neither Harris nor Hummel has been particularly good this year so how about send them both for a second year of AAA and give Graffy an opportunity he deserves? I would love to see an infield of Konerko, Graffy, Crede and Jimenez. With Mark Johnson catching, an outfield of Lee, Borchard, Ordonez and Thomas at DH. I think we could have a better offense next year than we had this year.

Cheryl
07-27-2002, 03:29 PM
We're gonna trade for some guy named Boof?

Daver
07-27-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
We're gonna trade for some guy named Boof?

2. Boof Bonser, rhp

Age: 20. B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 230. Drafted: HS–St. Petersburg, Fla. Signed by: Alan Marr.

Background: Bonser officially changed his name from John to Boof, a childhood nickname that stuck, in the offseason. Don’t let that fool you, though–the Giants point to increased maturity as the biggest reason Bonser was named the low Class A South Atlantic League’s No. 1 prospect.

Cheryl
07-27-2002, 03:45 PM

Background: Bonser officially changed his name from John to Boof, a childhood nickname that stuck, in the offseason. Don’t let that fool you, though–the Giants point to increased maturity as the biggest reason Bonser was named the low Class A South Atlantic League’s No. 1 prospect.

Oh, even better. People call him Boof and he likes it.

WinningUgly!
07-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Oh, even better. People call him Boof and he likes it.

Only makes sense that he got drafted by San Fransisco :D:

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 05:27 PM
there is no way possible that kw is a good enuf gm to pull off a trade for any of the above mention prospect.

if it was able, i would take boof, and then jerome williams

btw wu another great sig

Tragg
07-27-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
there is no way possible that kw is a good enuf gm to pull off a trade for any of the above mention prospect.

if it was able, i would take boof, and then jerome williams

btw wu another great sig

You're right, but it irks me because he has leverage. Oakland, Seattle, Boston, California - 2 of those aren't going to the playoffs. And yet, all 4 could win the WS. The prices should be rising.

Similar situation in the NL West.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

You're right, but it irks me because he has leverage. Oakland, Seattle, Boston, California - 2 of those aren't going to the playoffs. And yet, all 4 could win the WS. The prices should be rising.

and yet he could've played hard ball with those other teams.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

What teams can afford to take on payroll? According to Gammons the Mariners GM said he is really in a bind.

For Thomas he doesn't have much leverage. If only one team is willing to take on his contract, you either take what they offer or keep him.

Jjav829
07-27-2002, 06:40 PM
Well Lofton isn't in the lineup tonight. So it's possible that the trade will happen tonight. Or it might just be because the Sox are facing a lefty. We'll see...

duke of dorwood
07-27-2002, 06:43 PM
Bruce Levine says the deal is done except for incentive $ that Lofton would be owed. He sais the trade would be for a young pitcher, possibly left handed.

Daver
07-27-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Well Lofton isn't in the lineup tonight. So it's possible that the trade will happen tonight. Or it might just be because the Sox are facing a lefty. We'll see...

Lofton usually sits against Lefty starters.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Bruce Levine says the deal is done except for incentive $ that Lofton would be owed. He sais the trade would be for a young pitcher, possibly left handed.

the only lefty that i want from that team is threets. the hardest thrower in the minor league. fastball 102 according to BA.

but knowing kw, he will screw this trade as well.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
the only lefty that i want from that team is threets. the hardest thrower in the minor league. fastball 102 according to BA.

but knowing kw, he will screw this trade as well.

If your the Giants would you trade this guy for Lofton?

I didn't think so.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 07:46 PM

If your the Giants would you trade this guy for Lofton?

I didn't think so.

:D: :gulp: :D: lol yeah you are right, what was i thinking about.

:)

bc2k
07-28-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Only makes sense that he got drafted by San Fransisco :D:

Hilarious WU. Nicely done.

If KW got any decent minor leage pitcher in return for Howry and Lofton I would be content.