PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Well That Sucked" OAK 9 SOX 7 - 8/11 Postgamer

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Matt Thornton, you are ridiculous.

No, really, you are.

samurai_sox
08-11-2012, 10:51 PM
sigh...gotta root for the Rangers now I guess.

The Immigrant
08-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Real ****ty sequence in the late innings by Alexei. Fails to get the runner in from third with one out, and then allows Cespedes to get on base on a jamshot to short. He came around to score the go-ahead run.

doublem23
08-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Real ****ty sequence in the late innings by Alexei. Fails to get the runner in from third with one out, and then allows Cespedes to get on base on a jamshot to short. He came around to score the go-ahead run.

Cespedes had that play beat no matter what, guy's got ridiculous wheels

Soxman219
08-11-2012, 11:03 PM
No matter what happens, Thornton is gone after this season.

tstrike2000
08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
It's easy to blame Thornton as he's been inconsistent, but tonight's also on Liriano. 6 earned in 3.1 innings isn't gonna win you many games. We scored enough runs, the pitching just wasn't there tonight. Hopefully we get a needed series win tomorrow.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2012, 11:13 PM
True about Liriano but the fact remains the Sox took a lead into the 8th inning and Thornton pissed it away.

This guy has just fallin' off the face of the earth in two short years.

9th game this year the Sox lost when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later. Thornton has been directly responsible for three of those games.

2nd time this year the Sox had the A's on the ropes with the game won only to lose it.

Sigh...Go Rangers.

Win the series against Colon.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Tonight my mother asked what had happened to Podsednik. I explained that when a player loses his one plus tool - in his case, speed - he becomes useless at the MLB level.

Thornton used to have one plus tool, throwing 96-97, which is good enough from a LHP. Now he can't. He's become useless at the MLB level.

BigKlu59
08-11-2012, 11:31 PM
True about Liriano but the fact remains the Sox took a lead into the 8th inning and Thornton pissed it away.

This guy has just fallin' off the face of the earth in two short years.

9th game this year the Sox lost when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later. Thornton has been directly responsible for three of those games.

2nd time this year the Sox had the A's on the ropes with the game won only to lose it.

Sigh...Go Rangers.

Win the series against Colon.

Lip

Getting to be where I grab the nitro pills when this guy pops out of the pen.. My pharmacist can retire to the Cayman Islands if this continues. Nother one of those had em where ya wanted them, but the mouse popped out of the claws... I'm due for a nice 15 game winning streak to shake this malaise..

Go get them tomorrow and do a rectal on Colon...

BK59

BigHurt3515
08-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Why was Thornton in there against right handed hitters anyways? We have Myers and Jones for that not Thornton who hardly can get out lefties anymore

Danielgosox38
08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Rangers walk off!

The Immigrant
08-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Tigers lose a Verlander start.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Good news in Arlington - Mike Olt just hit a walk-off base hit to win it for Texas.

We're still up a game on the Motor City Kitties...but it likely should have been two. Oh well, we'll take what we can get.

Frater Perdurabo
Let's take the series tomorrow.

shingo10
08-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Tomorrow is a huge game considering we have to go to Toronto for four afterwards. I know they are scuffling but until the Sox actually play good up there I'll be concerned.

Humber looked really good.

I almost would trust Santiago to come up and take Thorntons place and do a better job. Almost.

Danielgosox38
08-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Tomorrow is a huge game considering we have to go to Toronto for four afterwards. I know they are scuffling but until the Sox actually play good up there I'll be concerned.

Humber looked really good.

I almost would trust Santiago to come up and take Thorntons place and do a better job. Almost.

I'm right there with ya. Agreed.

LoveYourSuit
08-12-2012, 12:13 AM
So many close games lately for the Sox an not enough chances to get to Reed.

I really want to find out if he's the answer or not before we get to September.

TDog
08-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Matt Thornton, you are ridiculous.

No, really, you are.

Myers had more to do with the White Sox losing this game than Thornton. For that matter, Liriano did. Actually, the only White Sox pitcher who had a good night was Humber, who would have given up a run himself if the double Crain gave up hadn't magically gone ground-rule.

Really, the defense didn't have a strong night. Thornton had to retire Crisp twice to lead off the eighth after the Sox took the lead -- three times if you include the two-strike swing that wasn't called a swing. The next two hits barely got to the infield grass, Beckham being out of position to catch the popup becasue the was covering second base with the runner going. Myers came in to give up the barely fair line drive into the corner that drove in what turned out to be the winning run. But the pitching failed but for the three hitless innings by Humber. I think seven of the nine A's runs came on two-out hits. The Gomes home run came with one out, but Gomes is in the lineup because he has hit some home runs against lefties. He hit a grand slam against Liriano in July.

As many runs as the Sox scored tonight, it was such a close game that the runs they didn't score were huge. Beckham failed to get the runner in from third with one one to make the score 3-0 in the second. Ramirez grounded into a double play with runners on first and third in the seventh. Either of those runs would have changed the game. In fact, Crisp misplayed Pierzynski's tie-breaking hit, and it looked like Rios might have scored on the play, but he was held at third, where he was left. Inge, who got the game-winning hit, may have saved the game defensively in the seventh, first by keeping the Rios hit from going into the corner, holding Rios to first, which proved huge, and then starting the double play on a ball that looked like it might have been too hot to handle.

Even then, the A's run with two outs in the ninth, aided by a Rios misplay, made coming back that much more difficult. Balfour put Youkilis on, but the next three hitters, all capable of tying the game, went down.

It was a tough loss, with plenty of blame to go around, if you're looking for blame. What it comes down to is that the A's simply outplayed the Sox tonight.

It was a game the White Sox had more business winning than the game they won Friday night. But the relievers who shut down the A's Friday night struggled Saturday night.

An interesting game, but utlitmately a heartbreaking loss. It would have been nice to get a win with a game-winning hit from Pierzynski on a night when Flowers had a better offensive night.

If it makes anyone feel any better, the Tigers lost tonight after failing to break the tie with the bases-loaded and one out in the ninth.

DrCrawdad
08-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Matt Thornton I really don't like you.

FielderJones
08-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Disappointing finish to what turned out to be an entertaining game. Sitting in the park after Liriano gave up a five-spot, I thought there was a chance for this to be a real stinker. It was strange, because Liriano struck out five in two innings and I was thinking dominant performance. However, I had watched his pregame warm up in the pen and he looked wild there.

Tyler Flowers had the game of his life, and yet there were few cheers when he came up for his fourth at bat. That was disappointing.

Also disappointing was the DJ playing Na Na Hey Hey during match-up pitching changes; that really is ridiculous. Someone needs to sit the DJ down and show the 1977 documentary, so the concept of that tradition is clear. The song is for a pitcher who has just given up a lead or has been shelled from the get go, not a pitcher who has just struck out your slugger and is being taken out for match-up sake.

Glad the Detroit juggernaut got slowed down again.

doublem23
08-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Tonight my mother asked what had happened to Podsednik. I explained that when a player loses his one plus tool - in his case, speed - he becomes useless at the MLB level.

Thornton used to have one plus tool, throwing 96-97, which is good enough from a LHP. Now he can't. He's become useless at the MLB level.

I believe we've been over this before, but Thornton's not really lost any zip on his fastball

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?playerid=1918&position=P&pitch=FA

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2012, 01:55 AM
I believe we've been over this before, but Thornton's not really lost any zip on his fastball

Thanks for that, Doub. I was among those who mistakenly thought he had lost velocity. While it shows his average velocity being pretty much the same, it does show his max velocity being down a little.

SBSoxFan
08-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Oakland scored 7 runs after two outs. :o:

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Disappointing finish to what turned out to be an entertaining game. Sitting in the park after Liriano gave up a five-spot, I thought there was a chance for this to be a real stinker. It was strange, because Liriano struck out five in two innings and I was thinking dominant performance. However, I had watched his pregame warm up in the pen and he looked wild there.

Tyler Flowers had the game of his life, and yet there were few cheers when he came up for his fourth at bat. That was disappointing.

Also disappointing was the DJ playing Na Na Hey Hey during match-up pitching changes; that really is ridiculous. Someone needs to sit the DJ down and show the 1977 documentary, so the concept of that tradition is clear. The song is for a pitcher who has just given up a lead or has been shelled from the get go, not a pitcher who has just struck out your slugger and is being taken out for match-up sake.

Glad the Detroit juggernaut got slowed down again.

I've noticed this many times this year, someone needs to get the user manual out and read it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks for that, Doub. I was among those who mistakenly thought he had lost velocity. While it shows his average velocity being pretty much the same, it does show his max velocity being down a little.

In a game of inches, losing 1-2 MPH max velocity may be the difference between a swing and a miss on one hand, and a foul tip (which extends the at bat) or even a souvenir in the cheap seats. His strikeout/9 inning rate in 2012 is the lowest of his career.

SCCWS
08-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Could you please tell mom that Posednik is hitting .379 in 21 games for Boston and has stolen 6 out of 7 bases.

SOXSINCE'70
08-12-2012, 10:13 AM
sigh...gotta root for the Rangers now I guess.

Rangers-2,Tiggers-1.

:ozzie

"TANK GOT!!"

SOXSINCE'70
08-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Matt Thornton,I am BEGGING you,PLEEEEEEEEASE develop an off speed pitch that works.My sanity is suffering every time you enter a game.:praying::praying:

Brian26
08-12-2012, 10:46 AM

The problem with Thornton, at least to my completely uneducated eye, seems to be that he can't locate his fastball, which is straight as ever. I remember him in '06 and '07 blowing left handers away with a cut fastball on the outside corner. His fastball always had movement. Watching that game last night, every hit came off a belt high straight fastball right down the middle or middle-in. Most major leaguers can sit on a 96 MPH fastball if they have a good idea where its going to be. It's the 96 MPH with movement, maybe located on the corners, that gives guys nightmares.

doublem23
08-12-2012, 10:55 AM
The problem with Thornton, at least to my completely uneducated eye, seems to be that he can't locate his fastball, which is straight as ever. I remember him in '06 and '07 blowing left handers away with a cut fastball on the outside corner. His fastball always had movement. Watching that game last night, every hit came off a belt high straight fastball right down the middle or middle-in. Most major leaguers can sit on a 96 MPH fastball if they have a good idea where its going to be. It's the 96 MPH with movement, maybe located on the corners, that gives guys nightmares.

This is what I think is his problem, too.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the balls he got hurt on, such as Gomes' HR were not fastballs but where breaking balls that he may as well have just underhand tossed.

ChiSoxGal85
08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
A bit of a frustrating game, but at least the Sox battled back after Liriano's rough start. And the Tigers lost.

Let's get the series today.

Oh, and about Brandon Inge - I initially thought he broke his wrist catching that liner in the 7th, because of the way he was pulling on his hand after he got up. Turns out he dislocated his shoulder and he was popping it back in place. He stayed in the game, started a double play, and hit in the go-ahead run later...Hats off. :tiphat:

SCCWS
08-12-2012, 11:40 AM
This is what I think is his problem, too.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the balls he got hurt on, such as Gomes' HR were not fastballs but where breaking balls that he may as well have just underhand tossed.

Actually they were non-breaking balls.

slavko
08-12-2012, 12:06 PM
The MLB play-by-play says that he threw sliders, cutters, two-seamers and four-seamers. I can't tell the difference between the last three from watching him. They all look pretty straight.

fram40
08-12-2012, 12:26 PM
A bit of a frustrating game, but at least the Sox battled back after Liriano's rough start. And the Tigers lost.

Let's get the series today.

Oh, and about Brandon Inge - I initially thought he broke his wrist catching that liner in the 7th, because of the way he was pulling on his hand after he got up. Turns out he dislocated his shoulder and he was popping it back in place. He stayed in the game, started a double play, and hit in the go-ahead run later...Hats off. :tiphat:

seriously? I've always respected Inge. Just another reason to :tiphat: even if he does do it against the Sox. Repeatedly

DickAllen72
08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
seriously? I've always respected Inge. Just another reason to :tiphat: even if he does do it against the Sox. Repeatedly
I wanted the Sox to pick him up when he was released earlier this season.

doublem23
08-12-2012, 01:24 PM
I wanted the Sox to pick him up when he was released earlier this season.

Luckily KW was patient and was able to snag a 3B that doesn't totally suck ass

doublem23
08-12-2012, 01:28 PM
The MLB play-by-play says that he threw sliders, cutters, two-seamers and four-seamers. I can't tell the difference between the last three from watching him. They all look pretty straight.

Pitch FX has it as a slider.

amsteel
08-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Just win the damn series and then win 3 of 4 in Canada to make up for that **** show of a series against KC.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Could you please tell mom that Posednik is hitting .379 in 21 games for Boston and has stolen 6 out of 7 bases.

OK, I've been pwned, but despite those numbers he'd still a marginal major leaguer at this point, only playing for a fourth place team that has had a ton of injuries.