PDA

View Full Version : Another Name...

Lip Man 1
08-10-2012, 07:37 PM
To consider when looking at possible ways the Sox can update and help one of the worst benches in baseball.

Rick Ankiel, released by the Nationals last month. Can play the outfield, has power and has one of the better arms in baseball. (In this week's print edition of S.I. he was voted by players as having the 3rd most dangerous arm in baseball behind Francoeur and Ichiro)

Lip

delben91
08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
To consider when looking at possible ways the Sox can update and help one of the worst benches in baseball.

Rick Ankiel, released by the Nationals last month. Can play the outfield, has power and has one of the better arms in baseball. (In this week's print edition of S.I. he was voted by players as having the 3rd most dangerous arm in baseball behind Francoeur and Ichiro)

Lip

I'm not saying our bench scares anyone, but is this statement based on anything other than the current WSI disgust with the bench? I mean, what is this based on, offensive performance?

I ask because I have no issue with Danks as a defensive replacement or pinch runner (and how is Ankiel an improvement over him, since that's who would be replaced onteh roster?), nor do I have a problem with either one or the other of Hudson/Olmedo (by all means replace one of them though, but Ankiel can't), and I'm one of the few that doesn't think Flowers is totally worthless.

I guess I could be in the minority, but I'd venture in terms of general value the Sox are more middle of the pack than "worst in baseball."

Lip Man 1
08-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Delben:

My comment is based on things like batting average, ability to get an extra base hit in the late innings and so forth. Ankiel is a pretty good outfielder and has shown power in the past. My guess is he was let go because of Harper.

It's just a suggestion to go along with the other names that have been mentioned Blum, Fontenot and Bentacourt.

Kenny has options if he wants to go that route.

Lip

DSpivack
08-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Delben:

My comment is based on things like batting average, ability to get an extra base hit in the late innings and so forth. Ankiel is a pretty good outfielder and has shown power in the past. My guess is he was let go because of Harper.

It's just a suggestion to go along with the other names that have been mentioned Blum, Fontenot and Bentacourt.

Kenny has options if he wants to go that route.

Lip

Ankiel was cut because he sucks, hitting .228/.282/.411. I think Danks can match that.

Noneck
08-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Ankiel was cut because he sucks, hitting .228/.282/.411. I think Danks can match that.

Im with you. This a 1st place club, its mid august, your summer sports competition will be floundering for years to come, great time to show your fan base how much you really want to win and gain some new fans. I am sure the wavier wire has guys out there that are decent ball players but overpaid. Use some of that profit that was made over all these years and give this thing a real shot.

white sox bill
08-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Whats Ankiels contract $$ wise? Can't be a whole lot can it?

SephClone89
08-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Whats Ankiels contract $$ wise? Can't be a whole lot can it?

If he's been released, I'm pretty sure he has no contract.

Chez
08-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Lip,

I like it. Ankiel gives you a little pop off the bench, can play all three outfield positions and can pitch in a pinch. I wouldn't replace Danks with Ankiel. I would use Ankiel to fill the Konerko slot or reshuffle the Hudson/Olmedo profile.

I suspect Hudson is popular/solid in the clubhouse and KW doesn't want to mess with the team's chemistry -- which is a valid concern. Otherwise, I can't figure out why he is here. I use to love O-Dog in his prime. He's just not an ideal bench player for the Sox.

TheVulture
08-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Danks is the only thing keeping the bench from being a disaster. I'd take Castro over Flowers as a backup every day of the week, Hudson can't hit and really only plays one position well, while Olmedo is Olmedo. Dewayne Wise? He might not be a bad 5th OFer if the other guys on the bench could actually hit a baseball. This is clearly the worst bench the Sox have had in years.

CoopaLoop
08-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Bench is fine other than needing a utility INF that can handle short.

Noneck
08-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Bench is fine other than needing a utility INF that can handle short.

Thats if Paul returns or another injury doesnt occur.