PDA

View Full Version : Julio Cruz and Rudy Law Video

Believer2005
08-08-2012, 06:59 PM
See how Julio Cruz and Rudy Law helped ignite the Winning Ugly Fire back in 1983. :o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qKH1uMtEY

Plus one more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmd3YRCIaeQ

Madvora
08-09-2012, 08:47 AM
That's cool. I just looked up Scotty Fletcher after seeing him in this video and found out he's Greg Walker's assistant in Atlanta.

34rancher
08-09-2012, 09:23 AM
That was an awesome video. Brought back a lot of memories. I remember getting up to read the stats in the paper for that team and how special they were. Couple thoughts in that video
1. When did Harold learn to talk? That may have been most I've ever seen him talk.
2. 77 SB. Loved the line where Rudy says the way they run now, that record will not get broken. Those guys looked like gazelles compared to how slow now.
3. Size. The bull doesn't look so big compared to guys now. But man could he hit a ball a long way.
4. Cruz really did get the ball out of his glove quick on the turn.
5. Jerry Hairston talked about batting second. It seemed like he pinch hit more than anyone I ever remember.
6. What would we give to have 4 starters with an era below 4 all in their 20s eating up those kinds of innings. Too bad Hoyt got mixed up in other things.

Wow, did I love that team. Nicknamed winning ugly by Texas manager, Glenbrook North grad, and future coach Doug Radar. Why JR did you ever let Tony go? I also never realized that Koosman was 40.

kba
08-09-2012, 10:46 AM
At :26, Hawk calls a walk-off gamewinner without using a single catchphrase. Not even a "YES!" When did he add all that stuff to his repertoire?

LITTLE NELL
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
The second half of 1983 that team was as good as any Sox team I've seen in my 60 years of following the team. That 'Winning Ugly'' slogan was anything but that in the second half. Now the uniforms, they were ugly.

tstrike2000
08-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Fun year and a really fun team to watch. Also probably the most you'll hear Harold Baines speak.