Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Not good at all...

Boondock Saint
08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
That was fecal.

Patrick134
08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
KC is 4-4 against the Sox this year, 1-7 against the Tigers.

Carneyman14
08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Bruce Chen everybody.

I think if he didn't get to face us 3 or 4x a year he would not be in the majors

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Win the damn series tomorrow

kittle42
08-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Crap game. Another freakin' Chen loss. Makes tomorrow an important game (of course, they're all important) - would be embarrassing to lose a series at home to the mighty Royals. Especially when we already lost at home to the ****ing Astros.

Crooked Number
08-07-2012, 10:53 PM

This is what needs to happen. As long as we take the series we should be ok. Not going to sweep everybody. Yes KC sucks vs Det, but there isn't anything we an do about it. Except win two out of three.

EdHerman12
08-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Bottom line...we just do not hit good against left handed pitching...Oh well...1/2 lead now....go at it again tomorrow...g'nite..

GO WHITE SOX!

JB98
08-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Cy Chen casts his spell again.

The worst part of tonight's loss is knowing Detroit will probably go 15-3 against this terrible Kansas City team. The Sox will probably end up 10-8 or 9-9 simply because our hitters can't handle Chen or Mendoza.

Coming into this series, my hope was to win one of the first two against the two Cy Youngs, then pound Guthrie for the series win Wednesday. Could still happen.

Hopefully at least one of De Aza or Youkilis returns tomorrow.

JB98
08-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Also, this is Chen's first win in six weeks. Sucks to lose to him. Really sucks.

Brian26
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Nothing to add here other than Olmedo looks bad. I'm curious why he got the start at 3B over Hudson.

DickAllen72
08-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Stupid bunt.

Noneck
08-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Nothing to add here other than Olmedo looks bad. I'm curious why he got the start at 3B over Hudson.

Yes that really baffled me also.

TheOldRoman
08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Horrible, inexcusable loss. Second straight game with a terrible offensive output against a garbage pitcher. Peavy wasn't good, but the offense should have put up about 7 runs tonight. The Sox offense had a complete non-effort against the horse **** Royals, but meanwhile the Tigers won a game against a respectable major league team and picked up a game. The Sox need to stop pissing away games against horrible teams and need to start jumping on these garbage pitchers early because they can't always count on a late rally.

LoveYourSuit
08-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Stupid bunt.

This Danks version also sucks.

Kenny, no more Danks(plural) please!

southsideirish71
08-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Another Division opponent that we lose to before we take the field. Hawk and Stoney are pumping in the same rehashed garbage we used to hear with the Twins. Two games in a row that we have heard how the Royals are as tough as facing the Yankees according to Sox logic. Maybe they should just get it over and give them a nickname like the previous manager did. To win this division we need to beat bad teams like this.

Garfien was talking about how we have our work cut out against us with Guthrie. We need to stop with the inflation of the opposing teams skill level and just start to beat them regularly.

kittle42
08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Garfien was talking about how we have our work cut out against us with Guthrie. We need to stop with the inflation of the opposing teams skill level and just start to beat them regularly.

Yeah, by that Garfein logic, ANY pitcher should strike "fear" into a team.

DickAllen72
08-07-2012, 11:34 PM

Yes that really baffled me also.
Because Hudson is useless on this roster. I hope KW signs Fontenot and replaces Hudson ASAP.

SoxSpeed22
08-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Had no business in this one. Just win the series.

russ99
08-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Stupid bunt.

One bunt didn't lose this game, Hitting 1-7 RISP did.

Way too much scoring on longballs lately.

TDog
08-07-2012, 11:41 PM
KC is 4-4 against the Sox this year, 1-7 against the Tigers.

That really isn't relevant. The White Sox are 5-1 against the Mariners, but the Tigers are 1-5 against the Mariners. The Royals are 1-7 against the Mariners, but they are 3-2 against the Rangers. The American League is competitive, except, at the moment, for the Indians.

This was a very winnable game. Peavy had the lead going into the seventh inning, late enough in the game that if he didn't have enough to hold the lead, the bullpen should have been there to back him up. This loss was like the loss the Saturday after the break. Peavy stayed in the game until the Royals got the lead. Today he blew a lead after six.

The Royals aren't a last place team because they are inept. They are a last pace team because they are inconsistent and make too many mistakes. They might have won last night's game -- at least last night's game would have been different -- if they hadn't botched the squeeze play. Tonight, the Royals didn't really make any mistakes, and the White Sox didn't take advantage of their chances. The inning with the line-drive double play could have been the one to put the Royals away.

I really don't know why Ventura is staying so long with his starters. Last night Sale pitched out of the jam that Peavy didn't, aided by a Royals mistake. It could be that he is concerned that the bullpen just isn't there for him. And, indeed, tonight the only reliever that wasn't scored on was Humber who pitched the ninth.

DickAllen72
08-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Way too much scoring on longballs lately.
I like when the Sox hit home runs.

kittle42
08-07-2012, 11:48 PM
That really isn't relevant. The White Sox are 5-1 against the Mariners, but the Tigers are 1-5 against the Mariners. The Royals are 1-7 against the Mariners, but they are 3-2 against the Rangers. The American League is competitive, except, at the moment, for the Indians.

This was a very winnable game. Peavy had the lead going into the seventh inning, late enough in the game that if he didn't have enough to hold the lead, the bullpen should have been there to back him up. This loss was like the loss the Saturday after the break. Peavy stayed in the game until the Royals got the lead. Today he blew a lead after six.

The Royals aren't a last place team because they are inept. They are a last pace team because they are inconsistent and make too many mistakes. They might have won last night's game -- at least last night's game would have been different -- if they hadn't botched the squeeze play. Tonight, the Royals didn't really make any mistakes, and the White Sox didn't take advantage of their chances. The inning with the line-drive double play could have been the one to put the Royals away.

I really don't know why Ventura is staying so long with his starters. Last night Sale pitched out of the jam that Peavy didn't, aided by a Royals mistake. It could be that he is concerned that the bullpen just isn't there for him. And, indeed, tonight the only reliever that wasn't scored on was Humber who pitched the ninth.

Great post. Agree completely.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Typical...Cy ****ing Chen.

After the Sox coming from behind to win night after night the past week I guess you had to expect this.

8th loss this season where the Sox had a lead in the 7th inning or later.

Detroit owns the ****in' Royals, they roll over and die against them. The Sox meanwhile continue to get beat and lose games against garbage pitchers and teams like Kansas City. JB has it right...it has cost them badly the past decade with this trend.

Kansas City by the way has now won 15 of 26 against the Sox dating back to last year and nine of the last 15.

That's not good. (and it's worse because it's against a terrible team and organization...)

Lip

southsideirish71
08-07-2012, 11:56 PM
In the second half teams are batting .278 against the Royals. As a team opponents are putting up nearly a .800 OPS against.

chisoxfanatic
08-07-2012, 11:58 PM
I am confident in Quintana tomorrow night...Gotta tattoo Guthrie and his huge ERA.

Tomorrow night will be my first game in attendance this season too, so I want to see a good one!

Lip Man 1
08-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Q has had some shaky outings recently. He does need to step up tomorrow.

I don't care if they only score one run against Kansas City ...as long as they win.

Sox have won 10 of 14 so they are playing very well...yet the lead is down to a half game now.

Lip

Aesero
08-08-2012, 12:14 AM
So much for me getting to see a win at the park :(: haven't seen one in years!

I did, however, get an autographed baseball from Crede! So all is not lost.

central44
08-08-2012, 12:16 AM
I think after the rest, Quintana will be fine. The Sox usually bounce back well from losses like this.

The only team right now that doesn't seem competitive at all is Cleveland. Thanks to our dumb luck, Detroit got to play them during the free fall while we battled LAA.

Still, there are worse things than losing to KC. We all knew they were going to play us tough, and with Bruce Chen starting tonight this shouldn't be a surprise. It's *strange*, absolutley. Downright bizarre in fact. But let's not pretend this is anything other than we expected.

Win the series tomorrow.

Hitmen77
08-08-2012, 12:17 AM

Once again, the Sox just have to :tiphat: to the might Cy Chen. :angry: I guess that drubbing we gave him a couple of weeks ago must have been a fluke.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2012, 12:18 AM
To all those who at various times tonight either here on the site or in front of their TV uttered the words, "Cy ****ing Chen..." take heart.

Great minds think alike.

Gonzo told me tonight Hawk spoke those same exact words when he and Gonzo walked down the stairs leaving the park and Hawk was pissed off.
Say what you want about Hawk (and some of it is deserved) but the guy is passionate about the team and takes it as hard as we do when they wet the bed against garbage teams and pitchers.

Lip

palehozenychicty
08-08-2012, 12:24 AM
What can you do? It's baseball. They know what he's throwing and still can't turn their luck against him? I bet the team is even more perplexed than we are at it all.

Mohoney
08-08-2012, 12:32 AM
We need to stop with the inflation of the opposing teams skill level and just start to beat them regularly.

Exactly. Good teams perform slightly above tread-water mark against other good teams and POUND the bad teams into dust.

4-4 against the Royals is pathetic. We should be 6-2 against them, and that would put us 2.5 games up instead of 0.5 games up.

If we lose this division, it will be because:

1) We choke against the Tigers
2) The Tigers gain 3 or 4 games on us due to our pathetic display against the sad sack Royals.

Mohoney
08-08-2012, 12:39 AM
The Royals aren't a last place team because they are inept. They are a last pace team because they are inconsistent and make too many mistakes.

They are a last place team because they pitch like ****. 11th in the AL in ERA, 13th in BAA, 13th in WHIP.

They get lit up like a Christmas tree most every night. Any time you score 2 runs against them is a missed opportunity.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2012, 12:48 AM
The tigers will be one of those teams that will only win at home and lose on the road. You can already see it. That's fine, we'll take advantage when they decide to suck on the road.

tstrike2000
08-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Chen sucks, the Royals suck, and their starter tomorrow really sucks. Tired of close games and losing to these perpetual cellar dwellars. Stop throwing belt high fastballs to Billy Butler and .238 hitting Jeff Francoeur. Let's pound them tomorrow.

amsteel
08-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Peavy probably should have been pulled a couple batters earlier. The bullpen should have showed up when it mattered. The offense should be able to hit Chen.

Win the series tomorrow. As long as they keep winning series Detroit will have to really earn the division.

thomas35forever
08-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Felt like 2011 out there tonight: black unis, Bruce Chen, bad offense. All of those are things I'd like to forget. Let's get back to 2012 tomorrow.

amsteel
08-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Also, can we get De Aza and Youk back please? Danks and his 0-3 on 6 pitches didn't help the cause.

TDog
08-08-2012, 02:19 AM
They are a last place team because they pitch like ****. 11th in the AL in ERA, 13th in BAA, 13th in WHIP.

They get lit up like a Christmas tree most every night. Any time you score 2 runs against them is a missed opportunity.

The Royals have pitched eight shutouts this season, the same number as the White Sox, and their shutout victims include the Yankees, against whom they are 3-4.

Tonight, the White Sox had the lead after six. It wasn't a matter of the Sox being shut down by Chen as much as the Royals lighting up Peavy and the bullpen in the seventh and eighth. And considering that they ran into an out in the eighth, it really could have been worse. If the bullpen had held the Royals scoreless tonight, the out at third might have come back to cost KC the game.

ShooterMcGavin
08-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Good to see Beckham driving the ball well over the past three games. Even his flyout tonight was a hard hit line drive to deep center field.

The Sox lineup was a poor group, with Olmedo and Danks starting, but Ventura's hands were tied and Olmedo did get a hit. The lineup did give Peavy two separate leads to protect, albeit one-run leads, but Peavy couldn't hold either.

Septimo is not good at pitching.

It was good idea to get Humber some bullpen experience.

doublem23
08-08-2012, 06:37 AM

And yet they've held teams to 2 runs or less 25 times, including the Yankees (twice) and Rangers (once).

Jollyroger2
08-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Another loss to a lousy team and a lousy pitcher. They just don't get up mentally for some of these games, and that's why Detroit will probably overtake them at some point. It's bad enough the Sox have won four of eleven vs. Detroit but to keep losing games to crap opposition is just handing them the division.

SCCWS
08-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Also, can we get De Aza and Youk back please? Danks and his 0-3 on 6 pitches didn't help the cause.

7 hits two straight nights explains the lack of offense. Hopefully the top in the order return and get the offense rolling again. In fairness to Danks, he had a walk and a hit Monday.

doublem23
08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Another loss to a lousy team and a lousy pitcher. They just don't get up mentally for some of these games, and that's why Detroit will probably overtake them at some point. It's bad enough the Sox have won four of eleven vs. Detroit but to keep losing games to crap opposition is just handing them the division.

The Sox have won 10 more games against teams with sub-.500 records than Detroit.

slavko
08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
The Sox have won 10 more games against teams with sub-.500 records than Detroit.

Facts won't work. It only confuses them.:?:

oldgrouch
08-08-2012, 09:32 AM

The worst part of tonight's loss is knowing Detroit will probably go 15-3 against this terrible Kansas City team. The Sox will probably end up 10-8 or 9-9 simply because our hitters can't handle Chen or Mendoza.

Coming into this series, my hope was to win one of the first two against the two Cy Youngs, then pound Guthrie for the series win Wednesday. Could still happen.

Hopefully at least one of De Aza or Youkilis returns tomorrow.

I must have missed something ,what is the problem with these two? :?::?:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-08-2012, 09:34 AM
I must have missed something ,what is the problem with these two? :?::?:

De Aza was out with back stiffness, and Youkilis was a late scratch with knee soreness.

palehozenychicty
08-08-2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks for letting facts get in the way of bias! 'Can't teal'.

oldgrouch
08-08-2012, 09:52 AM
De Aza was out with back stiffness, and Youkilis was a late scratch with knee soreness.

I have a sore knee too but the old lady never gives me a day off.

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe when JR mentioned 2 teams should be contracted, KC was one of them. They are a Royal pain to the Sox.

Chez
08-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Because Hudson is useless on this roster. I hope KW signs Fontenot and replaces Hudson ASAP.

We need to sign a utility infielder who can play 2B, SS and 3B like Fontenot or Yuniesky Bettancourt (just released by KC). That would enable us to liberate both Hudson (who Robin has no faith in) and Olmedo from the roster and bring up or acquire another bat for the bench. Having two light hitting back-up infielders on the 25 man roster to cover three infield positions is inefficient.

hawkjt
08-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Our bench is weak....and it cost us last nite.
Danks bunt....why try to go to first when he could force the third baseman to field it,and have no one covering at third base? Going toward first is a very tough angle for someone who never bunts...and the resulting popup was a disaster. Too bad AJ was not hustling back to the bag as the throw was off,and he probably makes it to avoid the double play.

Sox hit .292 off of Chen,so it is not like he dominated them. They just did not get clutch hits.

Robin left Jake in for one batter too many....it happens.
Go out and get them tonite. Winning series is never a disaster. Yanks getting swept in Detroit would be a disaster,but hopefully CC and the starter for thursday(Hroki?) can shut the Tiger machine down...and then the Rangers can melt them in Texas.

kittle42
08-08-2012, 12:57 PM
,but hopefully CC and the starter for thursday(Hroki?) can shut the Tiger machine down...and then the Rangers can melt them in Texas.

Took me 4 clicks and literally 13 seconds.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28950/hiroki-kuroda

fram40
08-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Sox hit .292 off of Chen,so it is not like he dominated them. They just did not get clutch hits.

I was at the game and it seems to me the Sox hit a lot of balls hard. A lot. But they were hit right at guys or in some cases, they hung up a bit too long and the Royals chased them down

AJ getting doubled off hurt, but so did not scoring Rios' leadoff single/SB (stranding him at third with 1 out) and stranding both Rios and Dunn in scoring poition in the 6th. Right there are three missed opportunities.

It happens. It is frustrating as hell when it happens. Especially when the Yankees seem to be rolling over in Detroit.