PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Loria is most displeased

vinny
08-07-2012, 01:00 PM
What did the Marlins get for their $190 million in free agent spending? Last place. Heads may roll.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/07/v-fullstory/2936431/last-place-miami-marlins-lament.html

BleacherBandit
08-07-2012, 01:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/5411/jose-reyes

Jose Reyes can't carry an offense, as it is. How's Giancarlo performing?

doublem23
08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Warms the cockles of my cold, cold heart

WisSoxFan
08-07-2012, 01:11 PM
From the article:

"We said we’re ‘all in.’ ’’

Apparently "all in" and Ozzie aren't made for each other. :o:

Lip Man 1
08-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Ozzie won't last his contract and there goes the chances of Loria selling the club for a huge profit and turning around to buy the Mets.

:tongue:

Lip

lpneck
08-07-2012, 01:28 PM
All in.

I would like to set up a poker game with Ozzie.

russ99
08-07-2012, 01:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/5411/jose-reyes

Jose Reyes can't carry an offense, as it is. How's Giancarlo performing?

Stanton isn't doing too bad (.284/19/50), but he's on the DL. He's been better at home than on the road. His 12 HRs are comparable to what he did last season, so he must have altered something to hit them out of that barn.

Pitching has been the Marlins' undoing, only 4 teams have a worse ERA in the NL, and only 3 teams worse in hits given up.

jdm2662
08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Ozzie won't last his contract and there goes the chances of Loria selling the club for a huge profit and turning around to buy the Mets.

Lip

He's such a slimeball that he will do this. Part of the stadium deal the Vikings got is that if the owner sells the team within a certain period of time, the state gets 25% of the profit. Because, once the stadium opens, the value of the team goes WAY up, and it's too easy to just not ignore that fact.

JB98
08-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm so glad Guillen is managing elsewhere these days. His team is once again a train wreck.

GlassSox
08-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm so glad Guillen is managing elsewhere these days. His team is once again a train wreck.

I am so happy that the Ozzie fest is in Miami. I don't feel sorry for the Marlins, they knew what they were getting.

asindc
08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
What did the Marlins get for their $190 million in free agent spending? Last place. Heads may roll.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/07/v-fullstory/2936431/last-place-miami-marlins-lament.html

The head that should roll in Mr. Loria's.

Irishsox1
08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Another sporting team in Miami struggling with attendance, what a shocker. Doesn't matter how good they are, what sport it is or the time of the year, the Miami fans don't support their teams. Maybe the Heat are doing fine since there area only holds 19,600 but I bet tickets are not hard to find.

SoxSpeed22
08-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Couldn't have happened to a better bunch of people.

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2012, 03:21 PM
How about Buerhle, would he not be happier back in Chicago in first place making a few dollars less. Next year Marlins Park will see crowds like the kind that use to show up at Dolphins Stadium.

voodoochile
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
All in.

I would like to set up a poker game with Ozzie.

:ozzie:
"How can I be losing? I always win. Where the heck is Greg Walker. He can explain what's going on."

Noneck
08-07-2012, 05:25 PM
How about Buerhle, would he not be happier back in Chicago in first place making a few dollars less.

Everyone has priorities in life, he chose his and not 1 ounce of sympathy will come from me. But then again , he may be as happy as a pig in poop, he shouldnt be shocked by whats going on down there.

voodoochile
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Everyone has priorities in life, he chose his and not 1 ounce of sympathy will come from me. But then again , he may be as happy as a pig in poop, he shouldnt be shocked by whats going on down there.

Meh. He's won tons of accolades, games and even a WS in Chicago. With only a few years left on his active career, I can't blame him for taking the guaranteed money.

Noneck
08-07-2012, 05:30 PM
With only a few years left on his active career, I can't blame him for taking the guaranteed money.

It was very obvious he felt the same.

WhiteSox5187
08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Meh. He's won tons of accolades, games and even a WS in Chicago. With only a few years left on his active career, I can't blame him for taking the guaranteed money.

That and I seem to recall the White Sox didn't make him an offer other than arbitration.

Noneck
08-07-2012, 11:26 PM
That and I seem to recall the White Sox didn't make him an offer other than arbitration.

I believe I read he went to the Sox with the offer he got from the marlins, to give the Sox a chance to match or beat it. The Sox of course said no, so technically they didnt give him an offer because the only acceptable offer would have been a beat or match offer.

ChiSoxGirl
08-07-2012, 11:29 PM
The Miami Marlins are the very definition of the term "hot garbage." I'm so glad it's Robin who's managing the Sox and not Ozzie anymore. Miami can have him. I sure hope he's enjoying his damn boat.

WhiteSox5187
08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I believe I read he went to the Sox with the offer he got from the marlins, to give the Sox a chance to match or beat it. The Sox of course said no, so technically they didnt give him an offer because the only acceptable offer would have been a beat or match offer.

I seem to recall that he asked if the Sox would just come close to the offer he got from the Marlins and the White Sox said no and then re-signed Danks. It seemed like whatever money was in the coffers last year went to Danks instead of Buehrle and I don't blame the White Sox at all for choosing Danks over Buehrle nor can I blame Buehrle for taking the Marlins offer.

palehozenychicty
08-07-2012, 11:57 PM

Thank you. People need to get over themselves. Burls did way more than this franchise expected when they drafted him. He owes no one anything.

DSpivack
08-08-2012, 12:05 AM
I seem to recall that he asked if the Sox would just come close to the offer he got from the Marlins and the White Sox said no and then re-signed Danks. It seemed like whatever money was in the coffers last year went to Danks instead of Buehrle and I don't blame the White Sox at all for choosing Danks over Buehrle nor can I blame Buehrle for taking the Marlins offer.

This is what I still do not understand. What about John Danks' career makes him worth 5 years and $65 million? Incredible overpay for a pitcher who is barely better than average.

Noneck
08-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I seem to recall that he asked if the Sox would just come close to the offer he got from the Marlins and the White Sox said no and then re-signed Danks.

That may have been the case but when I hear "that the Sox did not make him an offer", I think of Frank Thomas and Jim Thome and this was not that type of situation.

voodoochile
08-08-2012, 12:14 AM
It was very obvious he felt the same.

JR told him to take it.

Noneck
08-08-2012, 12:19 AM
JR told him to take it.

You ever go into your favorite car dealership with a offer from another dealership and they say, Sorry we cant beat it, Take their offer. Thats the way I take reinsdorfs comment.

central44
08-08-2012, 12:20 AM
This is what I still do not understand. What about John Danks' career makes him worth 5 years and $65 million? Incredible overpay for a pitcher who is barely better than average.

He's shown flashes of being well above average, but mostly he's living on reputation from the blackout game. Still, when he's on, he's a force.

central44
08-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Another sporting team in Miami struggling with attendance, what a shocker. Doesn't matter how good they are, what sport it is or the time of the year, the Miami fans don't support their teams. Maybe the Heat are doing fine since there area only holds 19,600 but I bet tickets are not hard to find.

The Heat are not doing fine attendance wise--remember the "Fan Up Miami" debacle from a year ago?

It's pretty clear that Miami will never support the Marlins. After two championships in six years (with a complete rebuild in between) and still barely drawing--especially with a new stadium--it's time to acknowledge that Miami is just a bad market. I don't understand why they built the new ballpark--if I own the Marlins, I move the team as soon as I possibly can.

I hate Miami as a sports town. It sucks that the worst fans in sports (just an allegation but one I feel comfortable making despite having no numbers to back it up) have enjoyed all the success they have this past decade. I love that this whole thing has blown up in their (and Ozzie's--thats a whole other thing) face.

Mohoney
08-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Loria's failures always make me smile.

Guillen's failures add the icing to the cake.

Daver
08-08-2012, 12:57 AM

Lip

He'll just threaten to declare bankruptcy on the Marlins and take his books to court and let MLB buy him the Mets and deal with unloading the Marlins.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Waiting on Mariotti Jr's article defending Ozzie, slamming the Marlins fans and taking a dig at KW.

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2012, 10:38 AM
He's shown flashes of being well above average, but mostly he's living on reputation from the blackout game. Still, when he's on, he's a force.

Hindsight and a buck can buy you a cup of coffee but with Buerhle's track record and with pitching 200 plus innings yearly and never on the DL, the Sox should have spent the money on Mark instead of Danks. With Buerhle's mechanics, he will if he wants to, pitch into his 40's.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Everyone has priorities in life, he chose his and not 1 ounce of sympathy will come from me. But then again , he may be as happy as a pig in poop, he shouldnt be shocked by whats going on down there.I agree. I have nothing against Buehrle for leaving, as the Sox wanted to go younger and cheaper in the rotation, and he got a huge payday elsewhere. However, I have no sympathy because he was going into a situation he clearly wouldn't be comfortable in (after saying for so long he was a country boy and wanted to get away from glitzy areas), and worst of all, he willingly followed Ozzie into this abyss. He worked with Ozzie for the past eight years, so he knew all the drama he would make and all the questions the players would be asked because of it. He decided the money was worth it. I respect his decision, and I will always fondly remember Mark's time with the Sox, but he is just another guy I neither root for or against as long as he works for Guillen and Loria.

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I watch either the Rays or Marlins just about every night unless the Sox are on and this is the first year since I moved to Florida that I'm having a hard time pulling for the Marlins.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
It's pretty clear that Miami will never support the Marlins. After two championships in six years (with a complete rebuild in between) and still barely drawing--especially with a new stadium--it's time to acknowledge that Miami is just a bad market. I don't understand why they built the new ballpark--if I own the Marlins, I move the team as soon as I possibly can.

I hate Miami as a sports town. It sucks that the worst fans in sports (just an allegation but one I feel comfortable making despite having no numbers to back it up) have enjoyed all the success they have this past decade. I love that this whole thing has blown up in their (and Ozzie's--thats a whole other thing) face.I have said for a while that I think the Marlins could succeed in a downtown ballpark. They made the right call putting the ballpark in Little Havana, which apparently is right near a downtown area and within walking/transit distance of everything. There is a large Latino population which is baseball crazy, and they would be more likely to back the Marlins than the Dolphins or Heat. I figured that a new ballpark paired with a young, exciting team, a "destination" ballpark and a legitimate effort from management could turn the Marlins into a success. The problem is, the team underacheived and management has shown to be the slime we knew before.

The Marlins were never in a good situation, but Loria was essentially given a "get out of jail free" card with this new stadium. He has blown it already with the hiring of Ozzie and his dumb remarks, along with pulling the plug on the team and trading its best player after signing a lesser player to replace him in the offseason. The fans have seen this slash-and-burn before, and they are going to stay away now. Bud needs to strip Loria of the team and give it to an owner who cares. That dirtball already made a gigantic profit as soon as they moved into the new park, so maybe he would go quietly. I know Bud won't do anything, but he should. Loria already killed off what momentum the Marlins had. I don't think their attendance will ever get close to being as bad as it was in the JoePlayerSunShark years, but fans will still stay away as long as that dirtball cries poor and mismanages the team.

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I have said for a while that I think the Marlins could succeed in a downtown ballpark. They made the right call putting the ballpark in Little Havana, which apparently is right near a downtown area and within walking/transit distance of everything. There is a large Latino population which is baseball crazy, and they would be more likely to back the Marlins than the Dolphins or Heat. I figured that a new ballpark paired with a young, exciting team, a "destination" ballpark and a legitimate effort from management could turn the Marlins into a success. The problem is, the team underacheived and management has shown to be the slime we knew before.

The Marlins were never in a good situation, but Loria was essentially given a "get out of jail free" card with this new stadium. He has blown it already with the hiring of Ozzie and his dumb remarks, along with pulling the plug on the team and trading its best player after signing a lesser player to replace him in the offseason. The fans have seen this slash-and-burn before, and they are going to stay away now. Bud needs to strip Loria of the team and give it to an owner who cares. That dirtball already made a gigantic profit as soon as they moved into the new park, so maybe he would go quietly. I know Bud won't do anything, but he should. Loria already killed off what momentum the Marlins had. I don't think their attendance will ever get close to being as bad as it was in the JoePlayerSunShark years, but fans will still stay away as long as that dirtball cries poor and mismanages the team.

I think they made a very big mistake putting the Stadium in Little Havana, a huge portion of their fan base is in Broward County and it's quite a trek down to Little Havana. Much like the Rays the majority of the population lives north of the stadium. It's 28 miles from Ft. Lauderdale and even further from places like Boca Raton, Pompano and West Palm Beach. A better spot would have been right next to Dolphin Stadium.

soltrain21
08-08-2012, 01:17 PM
How about Buerhle, would he not be happier back in Chicago in first place making a few dollars less. Next year Marlins Park will see crowds like the kind that use to show up at Dolphins Stadium.

Yes, what a poor, sad victim. My heart weeps for him.

dickallen15
08-08-2012, 01:36 PM
No, he has stated he would have returned for less but the Sox didn't make him an offer and JR told him he should go to Miami.

I don't know how anyone came blame Buerhle or question his priorities for leaving. He didn't have a job here anymore and he was offered one for $58 million in Miami. For those with a problem with his "decision" what would you have done?

Noneck
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't know how anyone came blame Buerhle or question his priorities for leaving. He didn't have a job here anymore and he was offered one for $58 million in Miami. For those with a problem with his "decision" what would you have done?

I would have probably taken the best offer but then again I dont know how it is to work or play for ozwaldo or loria. Working or even playing under aholes can be a bitch and 4 years is a long time.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I would have probably taken the best offer but then again I dont know how it is to work or play for ozwaldo or loria. Working or even playing under aholes can be a bitch and 4 years is a long time.Yeah, the move was strange coming from someone who said for the past years he would likely retire after 2011, had more than enough money/didn't care about the money, wanted to go somewhere he was comfortable, etc. I don't bedgrudge him for signing with the Marlins, but it was clear that the ONLY reason he did so was because they offered him far more money than any other team.

MILTMAY5
08-08-2012, 05:05 PM
The Heat are not doing fine attendance wise--remember the "Fan Up Miami" debacle from a year ago?

I hate Miami as a sports town. It sucks that the worst fans in sports (just an allegation but one I feel comfortable making despite having no numbers to back it up) have enjoyed all the success they have this past decade. I love that this whole thing has blown up in their (and Ozzie's--thats a whole other thing) face.Second worst next to Atlanta!

anewman35
08-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I don't bedgrudge him for signing with the Marlins, but it was clear that the ONLY reason he did so was because they offered him far more money than any other team.

I'm sure the money played a large part, but isn't it possible that at least some of the reason is that, for whatever reason, he likes playing for Ozzie? I don't understand why he would, I'm no Ozzie defender, but I can't imagine he'd have signed there if he hated playing for him.