PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Postseason

amsteel
08-07-2012, 09:07 AM
I did some research on Wikipedia about how the new 5 team postseason will work...and it might get messy.

Obviously, with the additional Wild Card you're more likely to have ties necessitating play-in games, but if two teams in one division have the same record and one would qualify for the wild card they will play a tie-breaker to see who the division winner is.

So what happens if The Sox and Tigers finish the season with identical 92-70 records, as do two other Wild Card teams. The Sox win the division play-in, so does that mean the Tigers have participate in a 3-way playoff for the two Wild Cards? What a mess.

They have also finally ended the requirement that 2 teams from the same division can't play each other in the DS.

Also the ALCS will be on TBS unless its NYY-BOS in which case it will be on FOX. How they swung that deal, I have no idea.

mrfourni
08-07-2012, 09:43 AM
So what happens if The Sox and Tigers finish the season with identical 92-70 records, as do two other Wild Card teams. The Sox win the division play-in, so does that mean the Tigers have participate in a 3-way playoff for the two Wild Cards? What a mess.

I might be wrong (and I actually hope I am), but I think the tie-breaker game counts as a regular season game. Therefore the loser of a theoretical Sox-Tigers play-in game will have a worse record than the winner of a play-in game between two wild-card contenders and will be left out of the playoffs.

amsteel
08-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I might be wrong (and I actually hope I am), but I think the tie-breaker game counts as a regular season game. Therefore the loser of a theoretical Sox-Tigers play-in game will have a worse record than the winner of a play-in game between two wild-card contenders and will be left out of the playoffs.

I kinda though that, but it seems unfair to the team that has to play 163 games.

Does anyone have Selig's cell #? I need to get this all clarified.

SephClone89
08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
The new format in general could have a bunch of crazy contingent tie-break situations, but it could especially blow up in Bud's face this season, since he decided to shoe-horn the new playoff system into a schedule that wasn't designed for it.

TheOldRoman
08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
I might be wrong (and I actually hope I am), but I think the tie-breaker game counts as a regular season game. Therefore the loser of a theoretical Sox-Tigers play-in game will have a worse record than the winner of a play-in game between two wild-card contenders and will be left out of the playoffs.The tie-breaker game would count as regular season, but it wouldn't count for the purposes of the wild card. We very nearly saw this in 2010. If the Padres won on the last day of the season, they would have been tied with the Giants and Braves for the West/Wildcard. If that happened, the Padres would have played the Giants in a tiebreaker for the division, and the loser would host the Braves the next night for the wildcard. They don't penalize teams for having to play tie-breakers.

As for the OP scenario, I'm guessing the other two WC teams would have a play-in for the first WC spot on the day the Tigers and Sox played. The Tigers would play the loser the next day, and then the winner of that match-up would play the first WC winner the next day in what would be considered a playoff game and not a tie-breaker. :?:

WLL1855
08-07-2012, 05:34 PM
If it is possible to end up a screwed up mess, then it will be. Selig will never learn.

thomas35forever
08-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I can't keep up with all this now. Come back to me in late September.

SoxFanCPA
08-07-2012, 08:29 PM

I assume that in the above scenario. The 2 wild cards would play, winner advances. Loser of that game plays the loser of the division tie breaker for the 2nd tie breaker as they would have identical 92-71 records.

SephClone89
08-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Full postseason schedule announced today:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp?y=12

Press release:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=36405618&partnerId=aw-8257321024209509968-996&vkey=pr_mlb&ymd=20120809

amsteel
08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
No off day between game 5 of the Div Series and game 1 of the Champ Series? Great scheduling!

amsteel
08-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Also, isn't the whole reason World Series home field is decided by the ASG is because of 'planning & travel logistics won't allow for it to be determined on such short notice'?

OK, Bud. The winner of the play-in game Friday will dictate where Game 1 is on Saturday. Same thing with Game 5s of the Div Series.

**** you.

sox1970
08-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Also, isn't the whole reason World Series home field is decided by the ASG is because of 'planning & travel logistics won't allow for it to be determined on such short notice'?

OK, Bud. The winner of the play-in game Friday will dictate where Game 1 is on Saturday. Same thing with Game 5s of the Div Series.

**** you.

The 2 vs 3 matchups are the day after the Wild Card games.

The 1 vs 4 AL matchup bumps up against the ALCS if it goes 5 games.

Thankfully this is a one-year thing where it's 2 away/3 home for the higher seeds in the DS. It really is unfair to the 1-seed to have to watch the Wild Card game to find out where they have to fly to.

They should finish the season with a 2-game series that ends on Tuesday. That would give them a little more wiggle room, and ultimately have Game 7 of the World Series on a Thursday, which is what they want.