PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-6 Sale, Reed give KC the Blues; SOX 4 KC 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Great start to the series!

soxnut1018
08-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Most years, the Sox lose that game.

Brian26
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
We got a team.

SoxSpeed22
08-06-2012, 09:35 PM
I was away for a wedding and we went 4-1 in that time. Awesome.

Frater Perdurabo
Let's hope in late October we look back on this game as when Bacon got on track and started producing at the plate.

cbone
Great DP to end the game, HR by Gordon, huge. What a fun team to watch!! :bandance::gulp:

Hitmen77
12 games over .500.

soltrain21
Favorite win of the season.

EdHerman12
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Awesome job all the way around...just keep winning Boys!

GO WHITE SOX!

voodoochile
08-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Favorite win of the season.

They had me nervous as all heck, but I've been hanging in for every inning recently and it's been paying off though I'm gonna be a basket case by October at this rate. Paulie and Beckham had some great at bats to tie and then give the Sox the lead. Sale was simply magnificent, no walks, two solo shots and then that 8th inning. Pitching out of that jam was simply incredible and we needed it.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :bandance:

Brian26
08-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Great DP to end the game, HR by Gordon, huge. What a fun team to watch!! :bandance::gulp:

Especially since Reed didn't get his ankle broken on that sloppy cover at first.

Frater Perdurabo
I also like that Paulie homered. Hopefully this signals that his power returns.

I also like that Danks went 1-3 in the leadoff spot and got that 8th inning walk, eventually to score the critical insurance run. It would be nice to get that kind of production from Danks regularly in order to give DeAza a few days off, in order to be fresh in September and October.

GlassSox
Let's hope in late October we look back on this game as when Bacon got on track and started producing at the plate.

I sure hope so

Chez
As Harry would say, "that was a honey of a ballgame." Solid pitching, timely hitting. This team is good.

central44
08-06-2012, 09:42 PM
This team has guts. You can never count them out of any game, which hasn't been the case these last few years.

You can tell they expect to win every time they step on the field, and they fight through the setbacks. Its a really, really fun group to watch. Even when they play like ****, they manage to find ways to win more than they lose.

JB98
08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Never easy against these Kansas City turds. Guys came through when they had to. Still can't believe Sale got out of that eighth inning unscathed.

hoosiersoxfan
08-06-2012, 09:45 PM
That whole 8th inning was awesome. First Sale getting out of the big jam then Beckham and Youk with the big hits.

slavko
08-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Strange feeling. I'm expecting come-from-behind wins. This has been away for so long I don't know how to react. Euphoria! Don't let it stop.

KC plays tough. They get some credit, but we got the cash.

DickAllen72
08-06-2012, 09:49 PM
I also like that Paulie homered. Hopefully this signals that his power returns.

I also like that Danks went 1-3 in the leadoff spot and got that 8th inning walk, eventually to score the critical insurance run. It would be nice to get that kind of production from Danks regularly in order to give DeAza a few days off, in order to be fresh in September and October.
Danks was cutting those corners rounding the bases the way Dick Allen used to do.

Madvora
08-06-2012, 09:53 PM
I love fast games. I've taken to watching just about every game delayed on the DVR now and I flew through this one by skipping the commercials and time between batters. I had a good feeling this game. I felt like the Sox were in control. Very nice. The time that feeling of confidence was at its height was in 2000 when they were so far ahead that losses really didn't matter, but that wasn't just game to game.

kittle42
08-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Strange feeling. I'm expecting come-from-behind wins.

No kidding - it's a great feeling!

Tragg
08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Very nice play by Reed to end the game. Sale in the 8th too - clean pick up.

The Royals seem poorly coached to me. Maybe because they play us so tough and usually come up short. They should have a better record.

PaleHoser
08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Strange feeling. I'm expecting come-from-behind wins. This has been away for so long I don't know how to react. Euphoria! Don't let it stop.

KC plays tough. They get some credit, but we got the cash.

+1. Feels great to watch a game knowing your club is going to find a way to pull it out in the end.

SI1020
08-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Danks was cutting those corners rounding the bases the way Dick Allen used to do. I never say anyone do it as fast and efficiently as Dick Allen. It was a thing of beauty to watch him run out a triple.

Saracen
08-06-2012, 09:56 PM
For those of us who didn't get to watch, how did Sale look? Velocity up at all?

WLL1855
08-06-2012, 09:58 PM
As soon as Butler hit that go ahead homer I was certain we would end up losing to another horse**** pitcher in Mendoza. Thankfully Paulie and Bacon didn't want to see that movie again.

FielderJones
08-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Strange feeling. I'm expecting come-from-behind wins.

Very much like the 1977 team. Except this bunch has much better pitching.

This was a very satisfying win tonight. Keep it up! :bandance:

Tragg
08-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Danks' D is enough to give De Aza or Rios an occasional day off. Yahoo has a strange stat for him - OBP below his batting average. I need a new abacus to figure that one out.

I'm not so sure I'd lead him off, but I don't know who else could, except maybe for Alexei.

DonnieDarko
08-06-2012, 10:00 PM
For those of us who didn't get to watch, how did Sale look? Velocity up at all?

Very much so. Hit 93 with consistency and could go up to 95 if he wanted to.

DonnieDarko
08-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Danks' D is enough to give De Aza or Rios an occasional day off. Yahoo has a strange stat for him - OBP below his batting average. I need a new abacus to figure that one out.

I'm not so sure I'd lead him off, but I don't know who else could, except maybe for Alexei.

I've been wondering this for the longest time: how in the hell is that possible?

Tragg
08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
I've been wondering this for the longest time: how in the hell is that possible?

Just a thought - a sacrifice doesn't go against your batting average (counted as a non-event), but because you don't end up on base, it counts as a plate appearance for OBP. And because Danks, until tonight, had zero walks, a single sacrifice would put his OBP below his batting average.

TheFrisbee
08-06-2012, 10:07 PM
As soon as Butler hit that go ahead homer I was certain we would end up losing to another horse**** pitcher in Mendoza. Thankfully Paulie and Bacon didn't want to see that movie again.

I wouldn't call him horse****. He's the best pitcher the royals can throw at the Sox and for most of the game had shut down the offense by taking advantage of the aggressive approaches, spotting pitches, and jamming quite a few hitters. He's the real deal.

It's also good to see some Mexican born talent in the MLB.

slavko
08-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Very much like the 1977 team. Except this bunch has much better pitching.

This was a very satisfying win tonight. Keep it up! :bandance:

Good lookback. '77 didn't have many who could catch the ball, either.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2012, 10:22 PM
With respect I agree with WLL, Mendoza is horse**** and so are the Royals (They roll over and crap in their pants against Detroit but somehow always seem to play well against the Sox...)

The Sox have now won eight games this year where they trailed in the 7th inning or later.

Five of them have come since July 24. FOUR OF THOSE HAVE COME IN THE LAST WEEK! (July 31 - August 3,5,6) In each case since July 24 the Sox either tied the game (and eventually won) or took the lead outright in the 7th inning!

Lip

sullythered
08-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Every time Hawk says, "Sully's happy," I think "get out of my mind, Hawk."

Noneck
08-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Every time Hawk says, "Sully's happy," I think "get out of my mind, Hawk."

Who is sully?

palehozenychicty
08-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Another good win. They actually have to play at this steady pace, because every night is a different tale in the AL. One could argue that KC will pass up Cleveland when it's all over. They have some decent talent in spots.

lpneck
08-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Sacrifice bunts do not count against your OBP, but sacrifice flies do. I really can't tell you why.

It's OBP = (H+BB+HBP)/(AB+BB+HBP+SF)

Sorry, I'm a math geek and former minor league baseball official scorer.

FielderJones
08-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Who is sully?

Beckham's mom (http://onlineathens.com/multimedia/galleries/062208-ugabaseball/slides/GALLERY09.html)

Noneck
08-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Beckham's mom (http://onlineathens.com/multimedia/galleries/062208-ugabaseball/slides/GALLERY09.html)

Oh jeez, I remember seeing her and beckhams dad on tv during a game.

They reminded me of George and Lorraine McFly from back to the future.

JB98
08-06-2012, 10:56 PM
With respect I agree with WLL, Mendoza is horse**** and so are the Royals (They roll over and crap in their pants against Detroit but somehow always seem to play well against the Sox...)

The Sox have now won eight games this year where they trailed in the 7th inning or later.

Five of them have come since July 24. FOUR OF THOSE HAVE COME IN THE LAST WEEK! (July 31 - August 3,5,6) In each case since July 24 the Sox either tied the game (and eventually won) or took the lead outright in the 7th inning!

Lip

Mendoza made his big-league debut in 2007, and he has 11 career wins (3 against the Sox). He's certainly not "the real deal." I personally consider him horse**** as well, but to put it more kindly, he's a journeyman filling space in the starting rotation of a bad team.

He's the type of pitcher the Sox should beat. Fortunately, they finally got to him in the late innings.

russ99
08-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I was a bit nervous about Sale pitching the 8th, but he got out of that big jam on a nice play/bad baserunning, and surely Thornton would have given up at least 2 runs.

This is one of those games we probably would have lost last season.

bunkaroo
08-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Great night at the ballpark. Can't believe I'm 7-0 this season. Now I have to keep going so they keep winning!

Was sitting on the 1st base club level side and from there Francoer looked bad trying get to both Rios' triple and Youk's double. Not sure if he's dogging it or what.

thomas35forever
08-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Had seats in Row 31 behind the plate tonight and wow, I couldn't have asked for a better game to have a good view. I thought it was over when Butler hit it out since the Sox seemed to be laying down against Mendoza again. Then, Paulie did his best to copy Youk's shot from yesterday. Sale's reaction after striking out Cain was the most pumped up I've seen a pitcher in a long time. Loved the play he made beforehand. Right before Beckham stepped up, my dad said something along the lines of "ugh, Beckham." Then, gone on one pitch. Of course, Reed had to make things interesting, but the 3-6-1 DP at the end made it all worthwhile.

Great crowd, great night, great game. As you can probably tell, I loved the final three innings.

TDog
08-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Sacrifice bunts do not count against your OBP, but sacrifice flies do. I really can't tell you why. ...

It should be obvious. Sacrifice bunts in theory come at the direction of the manager. Your job is to give yourself up to advance the runner. Sacrifice flies involve swinging away, driving the ball to the outfield. If you don't find a gap in the defense, your consolation is that it doesn't count against your batting average. However, it is a plate appearance where the manager didn't take the bat out of your hands. A sacrifice fly, unlike a sacricife hit, will break a consecutive hit streak. If you have nothing but sacrifice flies in a game where you have a hitting streak on the line, your hitting streak will be stopped.

Baseball has gone back and forth on the sacrifice fly. When Ted Williams hit .406, two run-scoring fly outs counted as at-bats against his batting average. Later, the rule was changed so that hitters were not charged with times at bat for run-scoring fly balls caught in the outfield by outfielders. Run-scoring line drives counted as a hitless time at bat. In the 1970s, the rule was changed to award sacrifice flies if an infielder running in the outfield caught a run-scoring fly and to allow sacrifice flies to be awarded on line drives.

The theory was that players would try to score runs with fly outs. The way the game has changed, that often is not the case, especially when you have hitters driving in runs with fly balls late in lopsided games, where sacrifice flies are strategically meaningless and could just as easily be considered defensive indifference. (You don't see sacrifice bunts in the eighth inning with eight-run leads.) But sacrifice flies have become sort of a batting-average consolation prize that was never applied to on-base percentages.

Statistics, unfortunately, have come to drive how games are managed. In addition to the save rule telling you when to bring in your closer, you see a lot of sacrifice bunts in the American League that really aren't fundamental baseball. You don't need to bunt to move a runner from second to third with none out. But a lot of players are more willing to bunt than to be be penalized staticistically for making an out by hitting behind the runner.

October26
08-07-2012, 06:43 AM
I hope Alexei is okay after being hit in the hand last night. I was glad to see him stay in the game as I was really nervous when I saw him rolling around on the ground in pain after being hit.

Kudos to Paulie for hitting the homer that tied the game! :bandance:

Kudos to Beckham for hitting the homer that won the game! :bandance:

Kudos to Sale and Reed for pitching great last night! :bandance:

I really enjoy watching this Sox team play day in and day out. :bliss: Keep on winning, White Sox!

Hitmen77
08-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Who is sully?
http://lizditz.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b6fc69e20133f5e69ee9970b-800wi

Oh jeez, I remember seeing her and beckhams dad on tv during a game.

They reminded me of George and Lorraine McFly from back to the future.

LOL. I see what you mean.

SephClone89
08-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Who is sully?

http://ratethisvideogamecharacter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Uc3_Sully-436x360.jpg

#1swisher
08-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Who is sully?

Sully is Gordon Beckhams' mother.

delben91
08-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Kudos to Beckham for hitting the homer that won the game! :bandance:

Take it for what it's worth, but in the game recap (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_08_06_kcamlb_chamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws#gid=2012_08_06_kcamlb_chamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws) on whitesox.com, Beckham's quoted as saying he made an adjustment after last nights game. Be interesting to see how he does the next few nights...

And Chris Sale, shame on me for ever doubting you. Won't happen again.

#1swisher
08-07-2012, 09:05 AM
KKKKKKKhris Sale is phenomenal!

Recap (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_08_06_kcamlb_chamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws)

DonnieDarko
08-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but in the game recap (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_08_06_kcamlb_chamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws#gid=2012_08_06_kcamlb_chamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws) on whitesox.com, Beckham's quoted as saying he made an adjustment after last nights game. Be interesting to see how he does the next few nights...

And Chris Sale, shame on me for ever doubting you. Won't happen again.

I wonder what adjustment that is? Did he change his leg kick? Not trying to hit the ball to the right side all the time anymore? Don't get me wrong, I love that he's trying to use right field (at least it shows he's got a plan), but he keeps hitting line drives and fly balls right AT people. So frustrating for me, I can only begin to wonder how bad it must be for him.

hawkjt
08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
There are no gimmees in the AL,period.
Opponents usually fall into three categories...
below .500 teams that play the Sox tough....Royals.
Above. 500 teams that are just good...Yanks,Rangers,Angels..
teams that are just hot....A's this weekend...they also always play the Sox tough...yuck..

Minny is hot. Glad we are done with them for awhile. They have scored the most runs in baseball since the All Star break...go figure.
Jays are a below .500 team that just play the Sox tough....especially in Toronto....4 next week will be tough.

This is not like the NL where there are really bad teams.
The Royals have won only 14 less games than the Sox going into last nite...and they are the worst in the league.

Embrace every win...respect every opponent.

Great to see Chris Sale back on his stuff...huge factor for our chances.
Nice job Gordo,PK, and the rest!

JB98
08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I wonder what adjustment that is? Did he change his leg kick? Not trying to hit the ball to the right side all the time anymore? Don't get me wrong, I love that he's trying to use right field (at least it shows he's got a plan), but he keeps hitting line drives and fly balls right AT people. So frustrating for me, I can only begin to wonder how bad it must be for him.

I figure the adjustment was asking Mendoza to throw a hanging breaking ball right in the center of home plate. Credit to Beckham for hitting a home run, but honestly, that's a pitch that should be hit hard by every hitter in MLB.

Aesero
08-07-2012, 02:23 PM
I wonder what adjustment that is? He said he was looking for first pitch fastball and adjusted for the breaking ball.

slavko
08-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I figure the adjustment was asking Mendoza to throw a hanging breaking ball right in the center of home plate. Credit to Beckham for hitting a home run, but honestly, that's a pitch that should be hit hard by every hitter in MLB.

He was on it like a pouncing cat. Looked like he read it and adjusted. Not all the credit goes to Mendoza.

JB98
08-07-2012, 04:22 PM
He was on it like a pouncing cat. Looked like he read it and adjusted. Not all the credit goes to Mendoza.

I did give him credit for hitting a home run.

All I'm saying is it doesn't take a special approach or a mechanical adjustment to hit a hanging breaking ball hard.