PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened....

Bucky F. Dent
08-06-2012, 09:59 PM
What ever happened to pitchers waiting at the mound until the the guy that got called in to relieve them made it to the mound?

Sox
08-06-2012, 10:55 PM
What ever happened to pitchers waiting at the mound until the the guy that got called in to relieve them made it to the mound?

Some things will just never be the way they used to be unfortunately. That's the only answer that I can come up with. But then again I am a HUGE fan of the old school!!

Moses_Scurry
08-06-2012, 10:58 PM
You know what I miss?

Bullpen carts. The big baseball-shaped golf carts with hats on them. Like the one Jake Taylor used to follow his ex-girlfriend home after a game.

Bring back the bullpen cart!!

sox1970
08-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Flip sunglasses.

Glasses on the hat during the game...not good.

DSpivack
08-06-2012, 11:35 PM
...Predictability? The milk man? The paper boy? Evening TV?

Irishsox1
08-07-2012, 12:08 AM
What about Ribbi and Roobarb?....I haven't seen them in a while.

russ99
08-07-2012, 12:17 AM
You know what I miss?

Bullpen carts. The big baseball-shaped golf carts with hats on them. Like the one Jake Taylor used to follow his ex-girlfriend home after a game.

Bring back the bullpen cart!!

I saw an article about this a while ago - a minor league team is using them again. :D:

CoopaLoop
08-07-2012, 01:02 AM
I miss the steroids the most

samurai_sox
08-07-2012, 01:18 AM
I miss video stores, and browsing in them on Friday nights.

TDog
08-07-2012, 02:23 AM

This reminds me of one of my favorite baseball stories, which may be true. It's Game 1 of the 1954 World Series at the Polo Grounds, Indians hitting in the top of the eighth. Just like in the song Take Me Out to the Ballgame, the score is tied 2-2. Giants starter Sal Maglie walks Larry Doby and gives up a single to Al Rosen. Don Liddle is brought in to face Vic Wertz, who hits a deep drive to the deepest centerfield in baseball. Willie Mays makes what is known as THE CATCH.

Giants manager Leo Durocher replaces Liddle with Marv Grissom. Liddle, who waits on the mound to hand the ball to Grissom allegedly tells him, "Well, I got my guy."

The Thomenator
08-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Flip sunglasses.

Glasses on the hat during the game...not good.

I was watching a Tigers/ Indians game the other day and Cleveland OF Ezequiel Carrera delayed the start of an inning because he wanted to replace his sunglasses with the flipable ones. After all of that got settled he then misplayed a ball and was seen wincing in the sunlight on the replay that went for a triple.......with the glasses flipped up.

bigsoxfan420
08-07-2012, 01:48 PM
...Predictability? The milk man? The paper boy? Evening TV?

...Everywhere you look...

DSpivack
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I was watching a Tigers/ Indians game the other day and Cleveland OF Ezequiel Carrera delayed the start of an inning because he wanted to replace his sunglasses with the flipable ones. After all of that got settled he then misplayed a ball and was seen wincing in the sunlight on the replay that went for a triple.......with the glasses flipped up.

:rolling:

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
As best as I can remember in the old days at Comiskey the relief pitcher would make that long walk in from the CF bullpen behind the 415 Foot sign and I mean walk, when he got almost to second base the bat boy would run out to meet him there and the pitcher would hand over his warm up jacket. I don't remember much that the starter would flip the ball to the relief pitcher, I can still see Al Lopez taking the ball from the pitcher and patting him on the back as he made his way to the showers as Lopez and Lollar waited for the relief man.