PDA

View Full Version : Matt Garza Shut Down

#1swisher
08-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Hardball Talk

Matt Garza headed to the disabled list with triceps injury

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/matt-garza-headed-to-the-disabled-list-with-triceps-injury/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-06-2012, 07:26 PM
There goes that trade value. That will be interesting to see what they do this offseason.

WLL1855
08-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Even though nothing has been said, he's got to be done for the year I imagine. That club is going nowhere.

DumpJerry
08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Well, that'll put the Cubs' season in the crapper.

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Well, that'll put the Cubs' season in the crapper.

I really thought they were going to go on a run here in August with Vitters and Jackson up.

Tragg
08-06-2012, 07:37 PM
There goes that trade value. That will be interesting to see what they do this offseason.

Which the Cubs consistently over-estimated for this 3-4 starter.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Tribune says he might be done for the year:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0807-bits-cubs-padres-chicago--20120807,0,6653255.story

Lip

white sox bill
08-07-2012, 08:55 AM
This will be a race right down to the wire, possibly down to the final game....between the lovables and the Stros

WhiteSox5187
08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
This will be a race right down to the wire, possibly down to the final game....between the lovables and the Stros

The Cubs are bad but the Astros are taking bad to a whole other level right now. They're in '62 Mets territory.

doublem23
08-07-2012, 09:04 AM
The Cubs are bad but the Astros are taking bad to a whole other level right now. They're in '62 Mets territory.

Yeah, I think the Astros' 8 1/2 game lead for the #1 overall pick is looking pretty insurmountable right now.

FWIW, they are 4-31 in their last 35 games. That's almost incomprehensible.

white sox bill
08-07-2012, 09:19 AM

Absolutely, but its amazing that according to cub fans, these dismal days are growing pains and that they are on the 4 yr plan and that Theo and Company are the ones that will lead them to the promised land. Seems like they said that about Dallas Green....and Dusty.....and Lou.....and McFail....

Tragg
08-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Astros are starting a mediocre AAA team, with only 1 ML player as starter. They are a little better off in pitching. Sox cast-off Lucas Harrel has had a nice year for them.
The best prospects they got in these trades came from the Hunter Pence deal and they were A and AA players when acquired and haven't seen the ML club.
Getting anything at all for Carlos Lee was a feat of legerdemain and they actually got a decent one for him.

Is it time for a draft lottery?

doublem23
08-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Everything you need to know about the Astros:

http://deadspin.com/5932452/the-nationals-bunted-in-the-winning-run-from-first-because-the-astros-played-defense-like-morons

SOXPHILE
08-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Absolutely, but its amazing that according to cub fans, these dismal days are growing pains and that they are on the 4 yr plan and that Theo and Company are the ones that will lead them to the promised land. Seems like they said that about Dallas Green....and Dusty.....and Lou.....and McFail....

That's what cracks me up. All the Cubs fans accepting before this season even started that they would be bad, but then confidently stating that 2013 would be a little better, and by 2014, they will be competing on a regular basis from there on out, as if it's guaranteed. Theo Epstein being there guarantees multiple world championships within the next couple of years. Certain sports radio talk personalities have also taken up this banner. Theo Epstein is tearing it down, and rebuilding from the ground up. Big Boy Baseball. With his perfect, flawless drafts and trades, he will build an eventual World Series champion that will be a dynasty for years to come. These people never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. Look how everyone was tripping over themselves to laud Epstein and Hoyer on the trades they made this week for Dempster and the other players they unloaded. They got some guys who are in A ball. Maybe they will pay off, maybe they won't. But they are in A ball. Yet, to Cub fans and certain members of the electronic and print media, these guys are going to pay HUGE dividends in the coming years, Theo is awesome !

Lip Man 1
08-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Sunday on Instant Replay I'm was amazed by the comment from Dan Roan on WGN-TV and more importantly the way he said it.

When talking about the Cubs bringing up more prospects he said, "what's another five years..."

But what grabbed me was it almost sounded sarcastic to my ears. Like he was getting disgusted with the entire approach.

Not saying that's the case to be sure but that's how it sounded to me.

Lip

doublem23
08-07-2012, 01:07 PM
I think he's referring to that little title drought the Cubs are mired in... You might have heard about it.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Double:

I know that, my point was the way he said it. As if he was getting frustrated by having to wait still longer.

Lip

doublem23
08-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Double:

I know that, my point was the way he said it. As if he was getting frustrated by having to wait still longer.

Lip

What, is Dan Roan some kind of moron? Because even the most dip****ted Cub fans I know knew that they were probably going to have to punt the 2012 and 2013 at least.

As for your shock over his comments, he's one in a long line of local and national guys who poke fun at the Cubs' losing history.

DSpivack
08-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Sunday on Instant Replay I'm was amazed by the comment from Dan Roan on WGN-TV and more importantly the way he said it.

When talking about the Cubs bringing up more prospects he said, "what's another five years..."

But what grabbed me was it almost sounded sarcastic to my ears. Like he was getting disgusted with the entire approach.

Not saying that's the case to be sure but that's how it sounded to me.

Lip

What, is Dan Roan some kind of moron? Because even the most dip****ted Cub fans I know knew that they were probably going to have to punt the 2012 and 2013 at least.

As for your shock over his comments, he's one in a long line of local and national guys who poke fun at the Cubs' losing history.

I think Roan is just another frustrated Cubs fan.

As for WGN, I think Rich King is a Sox fan.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Spivak:

Rich is (he's a former Sox radio announcer by the way) but Dan has always kept his personal feelings under wraps in my opinon. I do think he tends to root for the Cubs but I have no proof of that.

And given the ties between WGN and the Cubs I'm amazed when anyone at that station makes mention of things along the lines of what Dan said which could be considered a rip at the organization.

Lip

robertks61
08-07-2012, 05:52 PM
I always remind my cubbie clown fan friends when they bring up the WS Championship they're going to win in 2014, 15, 16 or when ever? Don't forget, 29 other teams aren't going to drop off the face of the earth because you are rebuilding and have theo!

guillensdisciple
08-14-2012, 07:29 AM
That's what cracks me up. All the Cubs fans accepting before this season even started that they would be bad, but then confidently stating that 2013 would be a little better, and by 2014, they will be competing on a regular basis from there on out, as if it's guaranteed. Theo Epstein being there guarantees multiple world championships within the next couple of years. Certain sports radio talk personalities have also taken up this banner. Theo Epstein is tearing it down, and rebuilding from the ground up. Big Boy Baseball. With his perfect, flawless drafts and trades, he will build an eventual World Series champion that will be a dynasty for years to come. These people never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. Look how everyone was tripping over themselves to laud Epstein and Hoyer on the trades they made this week for Dempster and the other players they unloaded. They got some guys who are in A ball. Maybe they will pay off, maybe they won't. But they are in A ball. Yet, to Cub fans and certain members of the electronic and print media, these guys are going to pay HUGE dividends in the coming years, Theo is awesome !

Wow. Theo must have perfectly flowing hair and the cure for all diseases that ail mankind.

Only the great leader can compare to such a man of wonder.

SpartanSoxFan
08-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Wow. Theo must have perfectly flowing hair and the cure for all diseases that ail mankind.

Only the great leader can compare to such a man of wonder.

After a century-plus of ineptitude, you have to hang your hat on something, don't you?? :rolleyes:

Back to Garza, is "stress reaction" medical jargon for a broken bone? Or is it just a muscle issue?