PDA

View Full Version : Friday Sox/Angels Game is 100% Official. Angels Protest Denied.

Foulke You
08-06-2012, 03:01 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/08/06/angels-white-sox-protest-denied.ap/index.html?xid=si_mlb

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
One less thing we have to worry about.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-06-2012, 03:48 PM
That was fast! I've always liked that Joe Torre guy...

If the league had acquiesced to Scioscia's protest, I think we would have countered by protesting Gavin Floyd being allowed to pitch the 7th inning of Saturday's game. :tongue:

#1swisher
08-06-2012, 08:00 PM
The right call.

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2012, 08:07 PM
When was the last time a game was overturned on account of a protest? The Pine Tar Game in '83?

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2012, 01:08 AM
When was the last time a game was overturned on account of a protest? The Pine Tar Game in '83?A Pirates Cardinals game in '86.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-last-time-a-protested-game-was-actually-uphe?urn=mlb,242095

mmmmmbeeer
08-07-2012, 01:27 AM
A Pirates Cardinals game in '86.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/The-last-time-a-protested-game-was-actually-uphe?urn=mlb,242095

A little nostalgia reading "National League President" in that article.

CoopaLoop
08-07-2012, 01:33 AM
And I was really sweating a protest of a judgment call.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2012, 02:22 AM
A little nostalgia reading "National League President" in that article.Yeah, I wish they hadn't essentially erased the distinction between the leagues.

TheOldRoman
08-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I wish they hadn't essentially erased the distinction between the leagues.Sadly, it will only get worse with year-round interleague play. With the leagues playing every day, the distinction will grow smaller, and I'm sure the DH will be in the NL within the next 15 years. In a few years they will likey do away with having awards for each league. It would be like the NBA having an Eastern Conference and Western Conference MVP.

Gary Bettman screwed up the NHL by more or less killing off its traditions and trying to cater to people who didn't like hockey, and Bud is doing the same. The only difference is, Bettman was a hired goon from the NBA who didn't care about hockey, whereas Bud has presented himself as a baseball lifer who cares about the continuity of the game. We need to get back to what makes baseball baseball. No year-round interleague play, no 10-16 team playoff format. The season is long enough.

asindc
08-07-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm shocked.

DrCrawdad
08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Konerko could have been called out but if the Angels catcher hits Konerko with the throw instead of throwing into right field they almost definitely would have called Konerko out. Bad play by the Angel catcher.

DonnieDarko
08-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Sadly, it will only get worse with year-round interleague play. With the leagues playing every day, the distinction will grow smaller, and I'm sure the DH will be in the NL within the next 15 years. In a few years they will likey do away with having awards for each league. It would be like the NBA having an Eastern Conference and Western Conference MVP.

Gary Bettman screwed up the NHL by more or less killing off its traditions and trying to cater to people who didn't like hockey, and Bud is doing the same. The only difference is, Bettman was a hired goon from the NBA who didn't care about hockey, whereas Bud has presented himself as a baseball lifer who cares about the continuity of the game. We need to get back to what makes baseball baseball. No year-round interleague play, no 10-16 team playoff format. The season is long enough.

Coming from a younger generation than you (I assume) I disagree. I think that the way the playoffs are structured now are just fine (top three teams from each division make it while the two wild cards battle for the last spot) . DH will probably be in the NL within 15 years I agree. The year-round interleague play I'm honestly not sure on. I'll have to see how it plays out next season.

TheOldRoman
08-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Coming from a younger generation than you (I assume) I disagree. I think that the way the playoffs are structured now are just fine (top three teams from each division make it while the two wild cards battle for the last spot) . DH will probably be in the NL within 15 years I agree. The year-round interleague play I'm honestly not sure on. I'll have to see how it plays out next season.No, we're the same generation. I was fine with 8 teams in the playoffs. I thought four teams was two few. You had to win your division, and if you didn't there was only one spot remaining. That was perfect. The "second wildcard" wouldn't be as dumb if they just called it what it is, a play-in game to be the wildcard, rather than pretending like they created another playoff spot and both wildcards are actually going to the playoffs. Esentially this year's set up is the same, just more intellectually insulting in that way.

We got this because Bud was pissed that one of the prescious Red Sox and Yankees finished second in the WC standings in 2008, 10 and 11. This was an attempt to create an automatic spots for both of those teams, or at very least if the Rays get in the way again, get a Yankees-Red Sox one game media orgasm for the right to go on to the playoffs. Realistically, Bud can't help himself. They will go to 12 playoff teams within the next ten years, and likely 16 shortly thereafter. That is unneccesary, as a 162 game season is more than long enough to determine the best four teams in each league. Expanding the playoffs to that length makes the regular season meaningless. Playoff ratings are going down further each year, and people don't want to see any more baseball than they have now. Instead of addressing the root of the problem - casual fans not watching because the Yankees and Red Sox aren't going deep after they've been told by all media for the last 6 months only those teams matter, they just try to rig it so one or both of those teams advance further.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Roman:

I don't care if they keep the DH or not myself, just as long as both leagues play by the same rules.

The N.L. is the only professional league in the world by the way that still allows pitchers to hit.

And I agree a lot with your comments on why the post season was "expanded". I yearn for one season when neither the Yankees nor the Red Sox make it but that seems to be a pipe dream.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Roman:

I don't care if they keep the DH or not myself, just as long as both leagues play by the same rules.

The N.L. is the only professional league in the world by the way that still allows pitchers to hit.

And I agree a lot with your comments on why the post season was "expanded". I yearn for one season when neither the Yankees nor the Red Sox make it but that seems to be a pipe dream.

Lip
I know what you meant, but pitchers aren't prohibited from hitting. You're not required to use the DH.

TDog
08-07-2012, 08:02 PM
... The N.L. is the only professional league in the world by the way that still allows pitchers to hit. ...

I thought Japan's Pacific League still plays without the DH except in interleague games wtih the Central League. Maybe that has changed. And I know I've seen starting pitchers hitting in AAA Fresno, although I haven't been to any games this year.

I don't see why it's necessary to have both leagues playing under the same rule.

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2012, 12:57 AM
I thought Japan's Pacific League still plays without the DH except in interleague games wtih the Central League. Maybe that has changed. And I know I've seen starting pitchers hitting in AAA Fresno, although I haven't been to any games this year.

I don't see why it's necessary to have both leagues playing under the same rule.As it moves more and more to one league with "conferences," which is the way it's heading, to not have the same rules is unacceptable. It'd be like if the NFL had kept the AFC under the old AFL rules, (I remember Super Bowls where they had to change back and forth between the NFL and AFL ball depending on who was on offense) or the NBA had one conference playing with the three-point shot (started in the ABA,) and one without.

TDog
08-08-2012, 01:45 AM
As it moves more and more to one league with "conferences," which is the way it's heading, to not have the same rules is unacceptable. It'd be like if the NFL had kept the AFC under the old AFL rules, (I remember Super Bowls where they had to change back and forth between the NFL and AFL ball depending on who was on offense) or the NBA had one conference playing with the three-point shot (started in the ABA,) and one without.

Major League Baseball is comprised of two leagues. The presence or lack of a DH assures that the games are played differently. There is nothing wrong with that.

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Major League Baseball is comprised of two leagues. The presence or lack of a DH assures that the games are played differently. There is nothing wrong with that.The whole point is that the "two leagues" are becoming more and more blurred. There are no longer separate league offices, just "Major League Baseball" and the commissioner. Moving teams from one league to the other has now happened a couple of times, at the whim of the commissioner. Next year, there will be "inter-league" games played every day of the season. They are becoming less leagues than conferences of MLB. And that cries out for rule uniformity.