PDA

View Full Version : Danks Surgery Today - Gonzo Says More Than Exploratory

Lip Man 1
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Danks hinted he could be out six months:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-danks-surgery-destined-to-be-more-than-exploratory-20120806,0,1808452.story

Wonder what they'll find. Obviously it's not just a shoulder strain.

Lip

delben91
08-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Danks hinted he could be out six months:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-danks-surgery-destined-to-be-more-than-exploratory-20120806,0,1808452.story

Wonder what they'll find. Obviously it's not just a shoulder strain.

Lip

All the more reason to do it now, still give Danks a shot at being ready for spring training next year.

Don't think it's a surprise (or at least it isn't to me) that it's more than exploratory. All the starts and stops he had during his rehab, and the talk of how it wasn't really improving, had me thinking something was wrong in there for a while now.

Thank goodness for Quintana, and to a lesser extent Axelrod and now Liriano for filling in so well.

tacosalbarojas
08-06-2012, 01:06 PM
After his last rehab start that caused more concern they did an mri which found a small tear as I recall. Whoever said it was a strain obviously forgot about that.

hawkjt
08-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I suspect it would be almost a shock if they opened him up and found nothing to be repaired. That would mean they unecessarily opened him up.

Just hope that it is not a full-blown torn rotator cuff.

If he can get back by opening day,all good.

#1swisher
08-06-2012, 01:15 PM
After his last rehab start that caused more concern they did an mri which found a small tear as I recall. Whoever said it was a strain obviously forgot about that.

This.
Wishing John a speedy recovery.

doublem23
08-06-2012, 01:16 PM

The translation may just be lost in medical jargon, however, as a tear is a Grade 2 Strain.

doublem23
08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
From the Sox's Facebook page:

UPDATE: Chicago White Sox pitcher John Danks underwent successful surgery this morning at RUSH University Medical Center to arthroscopically repair a capsular tear and minor debridements of the rotator cuff and biceps in his left shoulder. Danks will be immobilized in a sling for four weeks. He is expected to be fully able by the start of 2013 spring training, where he will be on a regular schedule.

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Here's hoping John's recovery and rehab goes well and he comes back to have a great 2013 season.

thomas35forever
08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Who will return first: Danks or D-Rose?

central44
08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Thank goodness for Quintana, and to a lesser extent Axelrod and now Liriano for filling in so well.

Absolutley. The job Quintana has done this year is outstanding. With Peavy and Sale being so good, and Floyd and Humber being so bad, Quintana might be the difference between contending and being lousy.

cards press box
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
The Trib article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-danks-surgery-destined-to-be-more-than-exploratory-20120806,0,1808452.story) says that the surgery revealed a normal labrum. That sounds like good news.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2012, 05:17 PM
"Repair a capsular tear and minor debridements of the rotator cuff and biceps in his left shoulder."

If there are any doctors in the house and care to 'translate' this, I'd appreciate it.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
08-06-2012, 05:38 PM
"Repair a capsular tear and minor debridements of the rotator cuff and biceps in his left shoulder."

If there are any doctors in the house and care to 'translate' this, I'd appreciate it.

Lip

I will dig in and say any sort of "tear" in the shoulder area required immediate attention. I'm glad the surgery took place.

DumpJerry
08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Who will return first: Danks or D-Rose?
Sox Opening Day is shortly before the Bulls' regualar season ends. Apples and oranges if the Bulls don't make it to the postseason and there is no reason to bring Rose back for two or three meaningless weeks.

Zisk77
08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
I will dig in and say any sort of "tear" in the shoulder area required immediate attention. I'm glad the surgery took place.

Not true...It depends on the grade of the strain/sprain. Every time you sprained an ankle you technical had a low grade tear. Did you need surgery? Often rest and rehab is all thats needed.

Jay Cutler tore his MCL...no surgery required (the same tear of the ACL would have required surgery due to the internal invironment of the knee being unconducive to healing).

Lip Man 1
08-06-2012, 11:27 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0807-bits-white-sox-royals-chicago--20120807,0,2774833.story

Lip

bigdommer
08-07-2012, 08:00 AM

Lip

I am not a doctor but I had a similar surgery and experience. MRI showed a "minor" tear and the doc said I could shut it down and rest it, fight through it, or have "exploratory" surgery. He basically said that the MRI would not show everything and they could clean it up once they got inside. I decided to fight through it and do the surgery in the offseason. The shoulder has never "felt" as strong and recovery time is longer, but the arm strength came back in 9 months. But John has a great medical staff and nothing to do but rehab and no rush (8 months until opening day) so I am optimistic.

doublem23
08-07-2012, 08:52 AM

Lip

The articular capsule is the fibrous tissue that essentially "holds" the bones of the shoulder joint together. Debridement is the (usually) surgical removal of dead or damaged tissue. It's usually not serious or life-threatening, it just helps the healthy tissue heal better.