PDA

View Full Version : Humber to bullpen

BigHurt3515
08-06-2012, 12:29 AM
I guess it was a toss up between Humber and Floyd.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Humber-to-bullpen-as-White-Sox-shorten-r?blockID=751957&feedID=10338

edit: Mods please change the title so its spelled right. Sorry

Noneck
08-06-2012, 12:41 AM
I hope Sale isnt still dead armed and Liriano wont miss a start.

SephClone89
08-06-2012, 12:45 AM

In which case it's an easy choice. While both are bad right now, Floyd has a much more proven track record, perfecto notwithstanding.

doublem23
08-06-2012, 04:00 AM

I guess since they're willing to announce this so early, that is good news for Liriano? :dunno:

DonnieDarko
08-06-2012, 07:18 AM
So no more six-man rotation? I'm cool with that.

I just hope that Sale's velocity is back and the dead arm period for him is over. Yeesh, we're going to need him down the stretch.

delben91
08-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Or might mean they're more willing to go with Axelrod or Santiago (who I read they're stretching out) from Charlotte vice putting Humber back in the rotation if a 6th starter is called for.

Hitmen77
08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
I was pretty disappointed in Humber and Floyd's performance this weekend. I can see why they're moving Humber to the pen at this point.

With the off day this Thursday, Sox starters won't have to go every 5th day until August 15. Maybe at that point, they'll call up Axelrod (as delben91 suggested) for a spot start if they feel they need to give their starters extra rest. Interesting that they're transitioning Santiago over to starter mode down in Charlotte.

tstrike2000
08-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Seems logical, he'll spot start if need be.

kittle42
08-06-2012, 10:22 AM
At least Phil Humber will always have a place in history - the worst pitcher to ever throw a perfect game.

Harry Potter
08-06-2012, 10:33 AM
At least Phil Humber will always have a place in history - the worst pitcher to ever throw a perfect game.

That's debateable. Don't forget about

http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/05/20100510_braden_560x375.jpg

doublem23
08-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Charlie Robertson was nothing really to write home about, either...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/roberch01.shtml

hawkjt
08-06-2012, 11:47 AM

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Humber-to-bullpen-as-White-Sox-shorten-r?blockID=751957&feedID=10338

edit: Mods please change the title so its spelled right. Sorry

Even with a shaky start on Saturday, Gavin has given up only 12 earned runs in his last 45 innings...a 2.40 ERA in his last 7 starts....not a disaster. Going into Saturday he had given up only 7 Earned Runs in 39 innings...a 1.70 ERA in his last 6 starts.

Fans have short memories.

FoulTerritory
08-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Even with a shaky start on Saturday, Gavin has given up only 12 earned runs in his last 45 innings...a 2.40 ERA in his last 7 starts....not a disaster. Going into Saturday he had given up only 7 Earned Runs in 39 innings...a 1.70 ERA in his last 6 starts.

Fans have short memories.

Or long memories . . . because we can remember back further than the recent 7 starts. The 7 before that were pretty damn atrocious.

This is the way it is with Floyd. He ebbs and flows between pretty good and abjectly horrific.

As long as you have 4 other starters that are better than him you can live with his manic pitching. If Sale, Peavy, Liriano, & Quintana can stay healthy and relatively strong, then Floyd isn't a worry. We'll just take what we can get from that #5 starter.

hawkjt
08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I am convinced that the six man rotation has hurt Gavin lately,as he has come out too strong,with no sharpness from a long layoff. After first couple of innings he gets sharper,and settles in,but he is one guy who is better off working in a 5 man rotation.

I think he will settle in quicker if he is not sitting for a week between starts. Give me a guy who has a sub-2.4 ERA over the last 7 starts anyday,as we go down the stretch.

balke
08-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I guess since they're willing to announce this so early, that is good news for Liriano? :dunno:

In the postgame interview Robin explained the situation. Liriano got hit in the meat - not the bone. He was able to stay out - but the muscle started cramping up.

Robin pretty much said he'd be shocked if Liriano missed his next start. He's going to take it easy - but it's just a bruise.

I know sometimes managers lie - but this would be an emmy worthy performance if he was.

It seemed as though Robin was trying to explain the situation without making Liriano seem as though he isn't "tough" for playing through it.

CPditka
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Curious on your thoughts of where Humber will pitch out of the pen? Only long relief? Or will they use him 7 or 8th? Could actually turn out to be a quality arm in the pen.

thomas35forever
08-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Curious on your thoughts of where Humber will pitch out of the pen? Only long relief? Or will they use him 7 or 8th? Could actually turn out to be a quality arm in the pen.
My guess is long relief. He's already stretched out as a starter, he can eat some innings for us on a bad night.

That said, I'm glad this finally happened. I'd rather have five reliable starters (though Floyd's not much these days) than a six-man rotation with a big question mark at the end.

kittle42
08-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Curious on your thoughts of where Humber will pitch out of the pen?

Probably on the mound.

Seriously, though, why would you put him in a high-leverage situation in the 7th or 8th? He stinks, and it's not like he's not been getting hit hard early in his starts. He'll purely be an innings-eating long guy, a role the team actually needs, based on what happened the last two days. Nate Jones is not a long man.

Noneck
08-06-2012, 01:18 PM

He enables the Sox to pull a starter early without forcing a stater to just eat innings. With Axlerod and possibly Santiago a phone call away, a 6th starter will not be a problem.

DickAllen72
08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Thought I heard Axelrod was put on the DL recently.

delben91
08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Thought I heard Axelrod was put on the DL recently.

You heard right, but he's off now.

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/244888190/mug_normal.jpg Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Dylan Axelrod, off 7-day DL, will start tonight for Class-A Charlotte at Indianapolis

slavko
08-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Thinking this AM after Cubs All-Star Bryan LaHair was sent to the bench that he and Humber are on the same career path. This confirms it. I still love his stuff, but I'm the guy who loved Mike MacDougal's stuff.

He might not be a bad long man.

Tragg
08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Probably on the mound.

Seriously, though, why would you put him in a high-leverage situation in the 7th or 8th? He stinks, and it's not like he's not been getting hit hard early in his starts. He'll purely be an innings-eating long guy, a role the team actually needs, based on what happened the last two days. Nate Jones is not a long man.

It's a lot different having to go out there for 1 or 2 innings max.

kittle42
08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
It's a lot different having to go out there for 1 or 2 innings max.

Sure, but why would you put him in any role other than long man, a role he is suited for and which the Sox need?