PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-5 Reed clips Angel wings; SOX 4 LAA 2 Postgamer

soxinem1
08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
What can we say about AJ we haven't said already? A career year indeed.

Youk keeps contributing, and a good-enough effort by Liriano. Hope he is okay.

And that big bottom nine/top of the tenth in the CLE/DET game as well, and we gain the game back!!

:bandance::bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Great to get the insurance run to secure the win!

doublem23
08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Hope that kid AJ drilled with his HR is OK

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Huge win with Detroit down to their last out down by three.

ElevenUp
AJ homers in 5 straight games. Man is on fire!

Tragg
Big win.

And thank you for the bunting, Mike Scosia. Your team executed it perfectly, and you got the results you wanted: 1 run innings.

Noneck
08-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Nice to see Reed isnt dead armed.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-05-2012, 04:11 PM
A.J. is a man, and Youk had himself a hell of a series.

Hope Liriano is alright. Never thought I'd say this, but we need him.

Hopefully the Tigers lose to re-pad the lead to 2.5.

PalehosePlanet
08-05-2012, 04:12 PM
What can we say about AJ we haven't said already? A career year indeed.

Youk keeps contributing, and a good-enough effort by Liriano. Hope he is okay.

And that big bottom nine/top of the tenth in the CLE/DET game as well, and we gain the game back!!

:bandance::bandance:

Not yet! Don't jinx it.

hoosiersoxfan
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Indians just blew a 3 run lead :angry:

Tied now

billyvsox
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Tigers tied it up

BigHurt3515
08-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Tied now

Perez sucks

voodoochile
08-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Wow what a long weekend of baseball. I'm exhausted. Definitely felt like a playoff series. Nice to see Paulie hit the ball hard 4 times in a row. Would have been nice to get that extra insurance run home, but turned out not to be necessary. Heck of a weekend of baseball. This is why we are fans...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

hoosiersoxfan
Walk off homer for Miguel Cabrera.

Lead remains 1.5 games

Tragg
A.J. is a man, and Youk had himself a hell of a series.

Hope Liriano is alright. Never thought I'd say this, but we need him.

Hopefully the Tigers lose to re-pad the lead to 2.5.
Liriano has been great.
What the heck happened to him?

And hats off to Nate Jones - pitched in all 3 games this series.

soxinem1
08-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Tied now

Mr. Automatic Chris Perez just blew the game. :angry: :angry:

What an unreal bottom nine/top ten/bottom ten in DET today.

Brian26
08-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Kid needs to move out of the way next time like his parents did. Totally his fault!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Walk off homer for Miguel Cabrera.

Lead remains 1.5 games

...and that's why no one wants to see your ****ty team play, Chris. Now shut the **** up and make sure you blow some games against us like this.

LITTLE NELL
Tigers tied it up

Oy vey.

Soxman219
Nice to take 2 out of 3 to a good team. Come on Indians, hold and score in the 11th!

Never mind, Indians blew it.

Noneck

Is your middle name, jinx?

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Whatever happens in the DET-CLE debacle, the Sox still have the division lead and control their own destiny. Just need to keep winning. The Royals may be the AL doormats, but they never roll over for us.

Dick Allen
08-05-2012, 04:19 PM
The Tigers' rally started after two outs with two straight walks. :angry:

WSox597
08-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I didn't expect the Toons to contend late in the season, but I sure didn't expect them to implode like they have been.

I think that's their 9th loss in a row.

It's a two team race. Let's go Sox!

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Is your middle name, jinx?

Just reporting all the news that fit to print.

Soxman219
08-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Well, we still have the division lead. Just keep winning and hope the Yankees help us out this week.

samurai_sox

Tied now

Ahh, **** you Cleveland! :angry:

doublem23
Can't count on the worthless Tribe to help you out; just win, baby

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Whatever happens in the DET-CLE debacle, the Sox still have the division lead and control their own destiny. Just need to keep winning. The Royals may be the AL doormats, but they never roll over for us.

But they love rolling over for the Tigers. The Tigers have won 9 out of the 10 meetings this year, IIRC.

Regardless, you're right. The Sox are still in control, and as long as they keep winning, the Tigers will be the ones feeling the pressure to keep up.

hoosiersoxfan
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Well, we still have the division lead. Just keep winning and hope the Yankees help us out this week.

Exactly. Sox also have 7 games left with Detroit so just beat them head to head.

Another great series win. Sale, Peavy, and Quintana the next three nights sets up very nicely against KC.

JB98
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Don't worry about the Tigers, guys. They are still chasing the Sox. We won two out of three against a quality team. These were tough, playoff-caliber games. We have more reasons to be happy this afternoon than reasons to be pissed.

It's time to start beating Kansas City tomorrow. Cy Mendoza and Cy Chen have cast their spell for long enough.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Exactly. Sox also have 7 games left with Detroit so just beat them head to head.

Another great series win. Sale, Peavy, and Quintana the next three nights sets up very nicely against KC.

We need to really step up and sweep KC, they have been a thorn in our side for a few years now.

Tragg
08-05-2012, 04:30 PM
We need to really step up and sweep KC, they have been a thorn in our side for a few years now.

I thought they'd be decent this year - and they've assumed their position of normalcy, although the Tribe look like they're working hard to take over that spot.

WisSoxFan
08-05-2012, 04:39 PM
But they love rolling over for the Tigers. The Tigers have won 9 out of the 10 meetings this year, IIRC.

Regardless, you're right. The Sox are still in control, and as long as they keep winning, the Tigers will be the ones feeling the pressure to keep up.

The Indians had won 7 or 9 coming into this series against the Tigers this year.

Noneck
08-05-2012, 04:42 PM

The matchups are all sweet and time to rest the pen. I am never greedy, 2 of 3 will suit my fancy.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2012, 04:44 PM
The matchups are all sweet and time to rest the pen. I am never greedy, 2 of 3 will suit my fancy.

Yeah, I was hoping for a 6-3 homestand going 2-1 with each team but after Detroit came back from the dead today I want the sweep against KC.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Glad to see Liriano's injury is not to his arm or shoulder. (He was hit in the quad by a hard hit ball and the Sox say he has a bad bruise...)

He'll be fine but will need therapy on it at least for a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox skipped a start for him.

Bullpen stepped up today nicely.

What can you say about A.J.

Cleveland has now lost nine in a row, they are toast...it's between the Sox and Tigers now.

Just hope this walk off ungodly win by the Tigers today doesn't mark the start of a crazy run by them.

7th win this season where the Sox trailed in the 7th inning or later. 4th time since July 24th. In each case the last four times they did this,they either tied the game or took the lead in the 7th inning.

Lip

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-05-2012, 04:56 PM
The Indians had won 7 or 9 coming into this series against the Tigers this year.

I was referring to the Royals.

Jollyroger2
08-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I was hoping for a 6-3 homestand going 2-1 with each team but after Detroit came back from the dead today I want the sweep against KC.

If the Sox are for real, they need to start beating and sweeping teams like KC.

The Indians were bound to fall off a cliff at some point. The Tigers are a solid team and Detroit winning today doesn't surprise me at all. That's why they Sox need to show up against those guys instead of rolling over and getting swept like they did.

doublem23
08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
The Indians were bound to fall off a cliff at some point. The Tigers are a solid team and Detroit winning today doesn't surprise me at all. That's why they Sox need to show up against those guys instead of rolling over and getting swept like they did.

Meh, the Sox just caught Detroit at the wrong time; they were red hot and the Sox were scuffing a bit. Overall, Detroit is still a pretty mediocre team.

Zisk77
08-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Where's homefish and his "pain train"? :rolleyes:

Keep winning series.

BNLSox
08-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Liriano has been great.

+1, Jones was huge this weekend

Noneck
08-05-2012, 05:33 PM
+1, Jones was huge this weekend

Dont forget Myers.

TDog
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
If the Sox are for real, they need to start beating and sweeping teams like KC.

KC came back to beat Texas today in extra innings despite being down 5-2 going into the bottom of the fourth. Granted, the run scored in the 10th after the Rangers waled the leadoff man and made two errors on the infield. For that matter, the Twins, who have lost five of six to the White Sox in the last couple of weeks, today lost for the first time to a team that isn't the White Sox for the first time since they lost to Kansas City on July 21. There really aren't any pushovers in the American League, although the Indians look like they have had the fork stuck in them, losing nine straight since beating the Tigers in two of three in Cleveland.

Today's White Sox win wasn't as grindy as the the win in Liriano's White Sox debut, but it was on the grindy side. It looked like the wide strike zone today (although Reed didn't get the benefit of it with the first batter in the ninth) may have had something to do with that. Two times through the order and only Konerko had a hit, singling twice against Haren, who was living outside.

After the Angels (who had three sacrifice bunts on the day) unsed an infield hit, a sacrifice attempt-turned-bunt-single, a sacrifice bunt and a sacrifice fly into a run, Youkilis got Haren on his third trip trhough the order. After the Angels took the lead on a walk, a sacrifice and a single, Viciedo singled off the new pitcher and Pierzynski turned the game around with a pinch-hit homer. The Ramirez RBI triple in the eighth made Reed's job easier, but today's game, like Friday night's game, felt like a one-run win.

It was nice to see Konerko hit the ball so well. Even his out was hit well. The defensive lapse that loaded the bases was followed by a slick double play at a time when the Angel were leading and threatened to break the game open. But the White Sox got a Dunn walk and a Konerko single with game scoreless in the fourth and did nothing with that opportunity.

And with Haren continuing to pitch well as he had in his last two starts, it helped that the White Sox starter showed up today and shut down a very good offense that had knocked him around early in the year.

A nice series against a pretty good team. The Angels were in position to win every game of the series, but it feels like the White Sox could have swept.

amsteel
08-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Keep winning series and good things will happen.

guillensdisciple
08-05-2012, 06:11 PM
No reason to even pay attention to the tigers. The sox, with play like this, will make the playoffs either through the division or the wild card. I don't trust the a's or Angela to stick around and become power houses and the al east will beat itself so the sox have a really good chance here.

Detroit is a ****ty city with a ****ty baseball team.

Chicago is better and we have a really good baseball team on the south side.

The goal now is 20 games over and 55 games left so go 35 and 20 for a record of 94-68.

Harry Potter
08-05-2012, 06:15 PM

His father should be a nominee for Father of the Year for a) failing to shield the kid and b) actually moving farther away from the kid so as not to get hurt

Bucky F. Dent
08-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Just got home from the Southside. Great Game!

Wedema
08-05-2012, 06:48 PM
His father should be a nominee for Father of the Year for a) failing to shield the kid and b) actually moving farther away from the kid so as not to get hurt

How about the guy in the row behind the kid who tried to get the ball after the kid took it off the stomach.

FoulTerritory
08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
No reason to even pay attention to the tigers. The sox, with play like this, will make the playoffs either through the division or the wild card.

But the wild card is bull**** now. You have to win a play in game to get in the real playoffs. A one game play in is a coin flip basically and even if you win that game you probably used a top starter to do so and are therefore disadvantaged in the ALDS.

Winning the division is way more important now. You gotta do all you can to avoid that wild card play in game.

johnnyg83
08-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Great win against a guy who's got great stuff ... following on the phone on vacation ... down one ... tie it ... down one ... take the lead ... this series shows that we never stop fighting. Even though we lost yesterday we came back from two three-run deficits.

Detroit has a four game series against NYY and then Texas on the road ... if they go .500 on that road trip, it'll be a victory.

SCCWS
08-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Detroit has a four game series against NYY and then Texas on the road ... if they go .500 on that road trip, it'll be a victory.

The 4 against NYY are in Detroit. Their roadtrip is Texas and Minnesota.

Harry Potter
08-05-2012, 07:13 PM
https://twitter.com/scottmerkin (https://twitter.com/scottmerkin)
Don Cooper, on his Sun show on 670TheScore announced White Sox back to five-man rotation. Philip Humber to the bullpen as long man

When asked if there would be times for spot starts, Cooper said he didn't see it right now. Going to the whip for the final 2 months

johnnyg83
08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
The 4 against NYY are in Detroit. Their roadtrip is Texas and Minnesota.

:redface:

Bucky F. Dent
08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Was at the game and didn't see any highlights. Did Dayan make the catch on Pujols in the first. Couldn't tell from where I was, and frankly neither could the second base ump who made the call.

WSox597
08-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Was at the game and didn't see any highlights. Did Dayan make the catch on Pujols in the first. Couldn't tell from where I was, and frankly neither could the second base ump who made the call.

No, it rolled right out of his mitt. Never had control. It was a rare good call by the umpires.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
That's where Humber belongs for the rest of the season.

Lip

Bucky F. Dent
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
No, it rolled right out of his mitt. Never had control. It was a rare good call by the umpires.

Thanks!

SephClone89
08-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't trust the a's or Angela to stick around

What'd she ever do to you?!?!

guillensdisciple
08-05-2012, 07:59 PM
What'd she ever do to you?!?!

She tuk my jiaaarb

voodoochile
08-05-2012, 08:00 PM

Actually hit the ground as he dove for it. Then he tried to fake it...

central44
08-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Considering that the Sox used Floyd and Humber in this series vs. a tough Angels team, i'd say this is a terrific series win.

KC always scares me but the Sox are hot right now--hopefully it continues.

Day4Blouse
08-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm actually more worried about not having Peavy and Sale for the Oakland series. But they always play us tough no matter how you slice 'em...

johnnyg83
08-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm actually more worried about not having Peavy and Sale for the Oakland series. But they always play us tough no matter how you slice 'em...

We play KC better in USCF than at Kaufmann, but they are a good hitting team with really bad pitching, OAK is the opposite. So would it follow to put your best pitchers against a good hitting team or a bad one?

I don't claim infallibility, but to take 2 of 3 against the LAA with our 3, 4 and 5 leaves us in a good spot against KC. (fingers crossed)

JB98
08-05-2012, 11:53 PM

If they are going back to a five-man rotation, Sale would pitch Sunday against Oakland.

Day4Blouse
08-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Actually, I had thought I heard they are going with a Daypitcher™ rotation. So Floyd pitches on Saturdays, Liriano on Sundays and so forth.

Bob Roarman
08-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Only discouraging thing about this game was that again it was proof that the decades long, league wide umpire conspiracy against the Sox is still alive and well and trying their best to derail their season.

cards press box
08-06-2012, 05:59 AM
I don't claim infallibility, but to take 2 of 3 against the LAA with our 3, 4 and 5 leaves us in a good spot against KC. (fingers crossed)

If Danks were healthy and available, I would say that Sox ran their 4th (Liriano), 6th (Floyd) and 7th (Humber) starters out there. With Danks out, the Sox pitched their current 3rd, 5th and 6th starters against one of the best hitting clubs in the major leagues and took two of three. Not too shabby!

:winner

happydude
08-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Only discouraging thing about this game was that again it was proof that the decades long, league wide umpire conspiracy against the Sox is still alive and well and trying their best to derail their season.

Lol. He just can't help it...

jdm2662
08-06-2012, 07:56 AM

I didn't watch the game. But, it's funny when a close pitch or play goes the Sox way, Hawk doesn't seem to complain...

Hitmen77
08-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Great series win against a good Angels team - especially good to get two wins when Humber and Floyd gave us two sub-par starts.

I just hope the Sox can keep it up this coming week vs. KC and Oakland. I think we're going to need every win we can get to win this division.

Lol. He just can't help it...

I actually switched from the CSN broadcast to the TBS broadcast when Hawk started complaining about the umpire.

jdm2662
08-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I actually switched from the CSN broadcast to the TBS broadcast when Hawk started complaining about the umpire.

What was the issue?

In the Minnesota game where call got reversed (even though it was the wrong call), I changed the channel to Baby First TV. I missed the entire rally afterwards. Yes, I couldn't stand listening to him that much. At least you had an option to change to TBS...

TheOldRoman
08-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I didn't watch the game. But, it's funny when a close pitch or play goes the Sox way, Hawk doesn't seem to complain...No, but he does say "we caught a break there". Hawk may be a little too much at times, but let's not pretend he harps on one isolated pitch out of nowhere. He gets upset when the umpire has had notably different strikezones for the two teams the entire game. You will never hear him asking "where was that pitch?" in the second inning.

Hitmen77
08-06-2012, 09:03 AM
What was the issue?

In the Minnesota game where call got reversed (even though it was the wrong call), I changed the channel to Baby First TV. I missed the entire rally afterwards. Yes, I couldn't stand listening to him that much. At least you had an option to change to TBS...

Balls and strikes.

jdm2662
08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Balls and strikes.

Yet, when a close call goes the Sox way it's good eye, or HE GAWN!!!!!! He didn't seem to mind Crain getting a generous called strike three on Friday. That wasn't even close to the plate. Retire already old man.

Bob Roarman
08-06-2012, 09:31 AM
No, but he does say "we caught a break there". Hawk may be a little too much at times, but let's not pretend he harps on one isolated pitch out of nowhere. He gets upset when the umpire has had notably different strikezones for the two teams the entire game. You will never hear him asking "where was that pitch?" in the second inning.

Not saying it doesn't exist somewhere out there, but I've also never heard a MLB commentator say, on air, "You better swing AJ, he (the umpire) doesn't want to see that run cross the plate." That's a first for me.

jdm2662
08-06-2012, 09:55 AM
No, but he does say "we caught a break there". Hawk may be a little too much at times, but let's not pretend he harps on one isolated pitch out of nowhere. He gets upset when the umpire has had notably different strikezones for the two teams the entire game. You will never hear him asking "where was that pitch?" in the second inning.

Stone is the one that usually says they caught a break. Hawk may do it once a while, but not very often, if it all. It isn't pointing out that it was a bad call that annoys me. It's the constant whinning and acting like the whole world is against the Sox. Shut up already. The Sox get as many close calls go their way as they do against them. His tough guy act is beyond old and stale.

Chez
08-06-2012, 10:17 AM
It was good to see Reed's velocity return. The Angels regular line-up is really stacked 1 through 5. But there is a huge drop off once you get to 6 through 9. Alberto Callaspo is their #6 hitter! The Sox 6 through 9 hitters are far better than most teams' -- huge advantage.

When I left my seats after the last out, the Tigers were down three with 2 outs and 1 on in the bottom of the 10th!! Just gotta keep taking care of business and play the Tigers close to even in head-to-head.

hawkjt
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Liriano has been great.

This should be no surprise. Liriano has pitched well since May 30,with an ERA of around 2.80 since then.
Frankie has the best ''stuff'' in the rotation at this moment.
If he throws strikes like yesterday, he is definitely a top line starter.

As for Hawk...hey, Jordan had three called strikes,none of which were in the strike box....with a man on third and one out...it was a legit complaint.

Bob Roarman
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
There's a difference between calling something a bad call/play and coming out and actually saying an umpire is calling the game against your team and is trying to stop you from scoring.

doublem23
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
There's a difference between calling something a bad call/play and coming out and actually saying an umpire is calling the game against your team and is trying to stop you from scoring.

Eh, I think it's all part of the Hawk "sounds just like a fan in the booth" schtick... I think you might be taking it a little more seriously than was intended.

aryzner
08-06-2012, 01:06 PM
I didn't have a problem with it. The strike zone for Danks was brutal for that at-bat.

doublem23
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
I didn't have a problem with it. The strike zone for Danks was brutal for that at-bat.

Yep.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/numlocation_io.php?pitchSel=538227&game=gid_2012_08_05_anamlb_chamlb_1/&batterX=66&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3

SI1020
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Dick Stockton and Dennis Eckersley called the game I watched. Too bad for some of you, they were both suitably professional and while not very exciting, had more life than the average bland vanilla modern day baseball announcers. They showed a picture of a much younger Hawk and Stockton in their early years broadcasting in Boston. As for me, I would have rather watched the game with Hawk and Stone.

Chez
08-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Yep.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/numlocation_io.php?pitchSel=538227&game=gid_2012_08_05_anamlb_chamlb_1/&batterX=66&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3

Wow! That's brutal. My apologies to Jordan for yelling at him as he trudged back to the dugout without putting the ball in play. My seats are great -- just not great for seeing the strike zone.

SI1020
08-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Baseball has to do something about this.

Bob Roarman
08-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Eh, I think it's all part of the Hawk "sounds just like a fan in the booth" schtick... I think you might be taking it a little more seriously than was intended.

Based on his history of rants against the umpires, I doubt it. He's always inferred it in the past, but this is the first time I've heard him (or anyone else in his position) actually say the umpire is now actively calling the game against the Sox, he's actually trying to stop them from scoring. That it's not just a bad call, but a fix. I've never heard that before, joking or not, and it sure didn't sound like he was joking. Whatever the intent is, that's not sounding like a fan, that's sounding like a ****ing moron.

kittle42
08-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Baseball has to do something about this.

There's already almost no reason to have a human being call balls and strikes.

doublem23
08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Based on his history of rants against the umpires, I doubt it. He's always inferred it in the past, but this is the first time I've heard him (or anyone else in his position) actually say the umpire is now actively calling the game against the Sox, he's actually trying to stop them from scoring. That it's not just a bad call, but a fix. I've never heard that before, joking or not, and it sure didn't sound like he was joking. Whatever the intent is, that's not sounding like a fan, that's sounding like a ****ing moron.

:chillpill:

It's been Hawk's schtick forever, I don't see the point of getting all worked up over it. I heard it, too, and didn't think much of it. Hawk being Hawk. He was just talking like a coach would be to kids trying to get them to buy into the Us vs. Them thing... It is what it is.

SI1020
08-06-2012, 04:00 PM
There's already almost no reason to have a human being call balls and strikes. I'm an OF who is supposed to be against such heresy but I'm not.