PDA

View Full Version : CBS says Sox won't pick up Youk's option

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/mlb-rumors/19732008/report-white-sox-wont-pick-up-kevin-youkilis-option

I say they will unless they have their eye on some other free agent. Morel is not the answer.

Noneck
08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Coming from a boston reporter where it was thought the Sox committed a robbery of one of their darlings, who know knows if its true.

central44
08-05-2012, 03:43 PM
He says "unlikely"...in other words, he doesn't have a clue and is talking just to say something.

I doubt the Sox have even decided what they're going to do regarding Youk, yet. It's still August in the middle of a pennant race. Pretty sure 2013 is barely on their mind.

JB98
08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Yawn. I'm sure no decision has been made on Youk's option.

MarySwiss
08-05-2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/mlb-rumors/19732008/report-white-sox-wont-pick-up-kevin-youkilis-option

I say they will unless they have their eye on some other free agent. Morel is not the answer.

Exactly!

Tragg
08-05-2012, 04:15 PM
$13 mill is a high impost.
They also have a $20 mill Peavy price to deal with.

Boondock Saint
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
$13 mill is a high impost.
They also have a $20 mill Peavy price to deal with.

The thing is, almost all of the big money contracts are producing right now. If the attendance can stay high, they likely can afford to keep these guys.

doublem23
08-05-2012, 04:53 PM
The thing is, almost all of the big money contracts are producing right now. If the attendance can stay high, they likely can afford to keep these guys.

Or they could try and renegotiate new deals; who knows if Youk or Peavy would be willing to earn a little less in 2013 than their options for 1-2 more guaranteed years?

soxinem1
08-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Do we really need to concern ourselves with this now? Maybe in BOS and NYY this kind of chatter is inevitable because their fans and media have to always stir up some crap.

But here, this, like the AJ extension issue, is best tabled until the off-season.

Soxman219
08-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Reporter has no idea what he/she is talking about, not worried about that right now.

soltrain21
08-05-2012, 05:28 PM
We pick up after we win the World Series.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-05-2012, 05:29 PM

No deep pink.

I like the cut of your jib.

SCCWS
08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
YouK's departure from Boston will leave a bad taste in his mouth. If he likes the Chicago situation, he may work a deal both sides can live with. This is a problem for after the season. Luckily he is here now.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2012, 05:42 PM
It's a Boston reporter... who gives a **** what he says.

Peavy has already told the Chicago Tribune he'd like to stay in Chicago now and it's possible he'd be willing to renegotiate a new deal...same thing could be with Youkilis, at this point who knows.

And what's more who cares. Worry about the off season in November...now is not the time.

Lip

Noneck
08-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Jealousy runs deep out there, whatever it takes to rain on the parade.

Soxman219
08-05-2012, 06:13 PM

So true.

DSpivack
08-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Peavy has already told the Chicago Tribune he'd like to stay in Chicago now and it's possible he'd be willing to renegotiate a new deal...same thing could be with Youkilis, at this point who knows.

And what's more who cares. Worry about the off season in November...now is not the time.

Lip

I'll be shocked if the Sox pick up the option of either Peavy or Youkilis. That said, I agree--I won't be surprised to see them re-sign with the team for a lesser amount.

Zisk77
08-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I'll be shocked if the Sox pick up the option of either Peavy or Youkilis. That said, I agree--I won't be surprised to see them re-sign with the team for a lesser amount.

Exactly.

Tragg
08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
That will still be tricky as the Sox will have to offer at least market value plus the option buy out amount. Peavy's MV will likely be, just guessing - $10-$12 mill - sox may be able to accommodate that by adding more years: 3/36 or something.
Youk is similar - it would be nice if we could get a capable 3B and give Youk time at 1B and DH too (his range seems limited in my admittedly small sample size of seeing him play). Moving Dunn could be a possibility, except for his $15 mill tag.

We can't re-sign them all, and Liriano is looking mighty interesting himself.

Noneck
08-05-2012, 07:06 PM
We can't re-sign them all, and Liriano is looking mighty interesting himself.

I am thinking the same. Its early but he seems to have the most value and upside of the three.

SoxFanCPA
08-05-2012, 07:11 PM
No chance in hell they pick up the option. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to negotiate a new contract though.

Zisk77
08-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I am thinking the same. Its early but he seems to have the most value and upside of the three.

We could potentially have 4 lh starters next year:

Sale, Liriano, Danks, & Quintana

Twinkies and Indians would hate that.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Depending on what they find when they open up Danks tomorrow, my guess is that the Sox off season pitching priority is going to be getting Peavy to agree to a new lower priced deal if they can.

Lip

palehozenychicty
08-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I feel like it depends if the team makes the postseason and does a run. Otherwise, I don't see a point for even renegotiating their deals.

Sox
08-05-2012, 10:01 PM
As excited as I am about the pennant race re-signing certain players is the furthest thing in my mind right now. I say let's enjoy the race for the pennant and concern ourselves about the details later at a more appropriate time and place.

BigKlu59
08-05-2012, 10:09 PM

Lip

Do we really need to concern ourselves with this now? Maybe in BOS and NYY this kind of chatter is inevitable because their fans and media have to always stir up some crap.

But here, this, like the AJ extension issue, is best tabled until the off-season.

Coming from a boston reporter where it was thought the Sox committed a robbery of one of their darlings, who know knows if its true.

A beaten up old Horse like Youk playing on strained fetlocks is better than an offensively anemic, fragile, Morel any day. Sox will fill this gap at 3B with the Grinning Goatee till "he" hangs up the spikes. He's in the gamer class of Fisk, Luzinski, Baines, et al.

Wow... Some Bean Towner's lamenting tears trying to put out the Sox fire...Say it aint pathetically obviously so... Must suck having to write about the BoSox at the moment.. Valentine must have come down with a case of Laryngitis...

BK59

SephClone89
08-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Re: signing Peavy to a two or three year deal, my friend and I were discussing this at the game today...

After Greinke, will Peavy be the best starter on the market? Might make it a tad harder to sign him to a hometown discount.

I think I'd be willing to give him $12-15m a year for two or three years...but he could get considerably more than that on the open market.

We'll see. A lot depends on how he performs down the stretch.

Day4Blouse
08-06-2012, 12:11 AM

Morel is the answer to a question nobody is asking. He'd be a fine replacement for Hudson, but that's about it...

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Morel is the answer to a question nobody is asking. He'd be a fine replacement for Hudson, but that's about it...Since he can only play third, no he wouldn't. The Sox need a genuine utility guy; there's no one at the moment who can play short to spell Alexei.

Day4Blouse
08-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Olmedo plays SS, but who knows how long he will be around...

SephClone89
08-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Since he can only play third, no he wouldn't. The Sox need a genuine utility guy; there's no one at the moment who can play short to spell Alexei.

Morel played a little short when he and Viciedo were in the minors together and apparently wasn't awful.

Still, obviously not ideal.

Bob Roarman
08-06-2012, 05:04 AM
Since he can only play third, no he wouldn't. The Sox need a genuine utility guy; there's no one at the moment who can play short to spell Alexei.

Thinking about it, Beckham might become that guy somewhere down the road. Utility players come from somewhere, sometimes they're 1st round draft busts.

SephClone89
08-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Thinking about it, Beckham might become that guy somewhere down the road. Utility players come from somewhere, sometimes they're 1st round draft busts.

Was discussing this at the game yesterday with my friends. They pointed out that while players like Beckham can reinvent themselves as utility guys and stick around the majors, it's usually not for the team they came up with.

Considering he played like 2/3rds of a season at 3B in the majors without embarrassing himself, and short is his "natural" position...it could happen. We were wondering if he could learn some corner outfield too.

DonnieDarko
08-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Was discussing this at the game yesterday with my friends. They pointed out that while players like Beckham can reinvent themselves as utility guys and stick around the majors, it's usually not for the team they came up with.

Considering he played like 2/3rds of a season at 3B in the majors without embarrassing himself, and short is his "natural" position...it could happen. We were wondering if he could learn some corner outfield too.

To play corner outfield, even as a utility guy, he needs to hit the ball better. Albeit, I think that he's just been very unlucky this year (hits lots of line drives, but they're right at people...also has a very low BABIP) and I think that he's better offensively than how he's playing so far (I see him as more of a .250-.260 hitter), I don't see him becoming a utility man any time soon.

I would also hope that he turns the corner in hitting soon. I know that he's no Joe Crede, but I hope like Crede he turns it on soon. What better time to turn it on than right before and into the playoffs?

A man can dream...*sigh*

Bob Roarman
08-06-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't really think he's better than he's showing. He's gotten worse every season in just about every aspect of hitting. He's swinging at more and more pitches out of the zone, not going to the opposite field as much as he used to, and putting into play balls that pitchers want him to put into play. It's getting to the point where it's not just a bad couple of months or a bad year (or being "rushed", which doesn't really make sense) but it's progressively getting worse as the seasons go on where if he were making the adjustments even somewhat, the curve wouldn't nearly be as steep as it has been. Where now it looks like that what he may be for the rest of his career. There are tons of hitters like that.

thomas35forever
08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
I'll worry about this at the end of the season and then, the Sox should make a decision based on how far they get. Until then, I just want some stability in the hot corner and Youkilis is providing it.

kittle42
08-06-2012, 02:21 PM
$13 million? Yeah, that's not getting picked up.

bigdommer
08-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't really think he's better than he's showing. He's gotten worse every season in just about every aspect of hitting. He's swinging at more and more pitches out of the zone, not going to the opposite field as much as he used to, and putting into play balls that pitchers want him to put into play. It's getting to the point where it's not just a bad couple of months or a bad year (or being "rushed", which doesn't really make sense) but it's progressively getting worse as the seasons go on where if he were making the adjustments even somewhat, the curve wouldn't nearly be as steep as it has been. Where now it looks like that what he may be for the rest of his career. There are tons of hitters like that.

He has not been good, but this is not totally accurate. His offensive numbers are the same as last year, but he has cut down somewhat significantly on his strikeouts. Just looking at similar guys at his age (baseball reference), Omar Infante and Rickie Weeks jump out as they were solid starters and even made an all-star team in their late 20's.

Bringing this back on topic, in order to even think about picking up options for guys like Peavy and Youk, you need your cheap guys like Beckham to be at least average. He's near the bottom right now, but to be an average 2B he only needs about 10 walks and 3 HR on his current numbers.

SCCWS
08-07-2012, 09:06 AM
I think the addition of Youk makes a big difference. When you had Morel at 3rd, you were basically playing 2 weak offensive players at the same time. Add in the early season woes that Alexei had and the offense had 3 weak spots. Now Beckham hitting in the .220's is not as big a problem with the results from the rest of the order.

Tragg
08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Morel needs to stay in AAA and work on his offense.

Beckham is an excellent defensive infielder. Despite the love for utility types, those guys usually are not plus defenders - they can just adequately cover multiple positions.

russ99
08-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Since the MLBPA frowns on deals that circumvent options which were contracturally decided upon, a one year deal wouldn't work.

Unless we're signing these guys to a multi-year deal or Kenny rolls the dice that one of them will play above their option price, we'll be looking for replacements.

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2012, 10:18 AM
With Youk out again I'm thinking that this guy is another injury prone Carlos Quentin. Red Sox fan who I play golf with told me to expect a lot of DL days with Youk. Maybe the Sox should look elsewhere after the season for a third sacker instead of working out a deal. I love the intensity he brings to the game but if he's always hurt he is just might not be worth the investment the Sox would have to make to keep him on the Southside.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
3rd base is just going to be a small piece of a large off season puzzle for the Sox.

To me the priority first is going to have to figure out the starting pitching situation...with three potential free agents and a recovering (hence unknown) Danks that has to be solved first.

Lip

SCCWS
08-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I think with injuries, you have to utilize your medical staff. Peavy has been worse than Youk. Before you sign guys, you need to know are they recurring or not. They are both hard-nosed stubborn guys. That often can lead to injuries because they play all out. But if a guy keeps playing 3/4 season due to the same problems, then the money versus the benefit comes into play. Tough decisions lie ahead.

cards press box
08-09-2012, 06:49 PM

Maybe so but that does not mean that the Sox might not try to work out some deal with Youkilis. He seems to have found a home with the White Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox tried to work out a 2 or 3 year deal.

On a similar note, the Sox may not pick up Peavy's option but still try to work out a 2 or 3 year deal with him.

I will be very interested to see what the Sox do with Youkilis, Peavy, Liriano and AJ in the offseason. If Nick Carfano wants to follow that now, I suppose that's OK. Personally, I'll wait until the offseason to see what the 2013 White Sox will look like.

slavko
08-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Maybe so but that does not mean that the Sox might not try to work out some deal with Youkilis. He seems to have found a home with the White Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox tried to work out a 2 or 3 year deal.

On a similar note, the Sox may not pick up Peavy's option but still try to work out a 2 or 3 year deal with him.

I will be very interested to see what the Sox do with Youkilis, Peavy, Liriano and AJ in the offseason. If Nick Carfano wants to follow that now, I suppose that's OK. Personally, I'll wait until the offseason to see what the 2013 White Sox will look like.

I love Youk and Jake, but their contracts are not based on current performance level. Bye.

AJ and Liriano, I'd be competitive for Liriano based on what we see through this year. I'd be more than competitive for AJ, he's "ours" and is playing at a high level.

Tragg
08-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Floyd and Peavy:

Keeping neither will cost $4 mill
Keeping both costs $31.5 mill
Keeping Floyd (9.5) and dumping Peavy (4) costs $13.5 mill
Keeping Peavy (22) and dumping Floyd (0) costs $22 mill

Is Peavy worth $8.5 mill more than Floyd?

sox230
08-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Floyd and Peavy:

Keeping neither will cost $4 mill
Keeping both costs $31.5 mill
Keeping Floyd (9.5) and dumping Peavy (4) costs $13.5 mill
Keeping Peavy (22) and dumping Floyd (0) costs $22 mill

Is Peavy worth $8.5 mill more than Floyd?

Peavy is absolutely worth $8.5 million more than Peavy. But Peavy isn't worth $22 million and Floyd isn't worth $9.5 million.

Tragg
08-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Peavy is absolutely worth $8.5 million more than Peavy. But Peavy isn't worth $22 million and Floyd isn't worth $9.5 million.
Well, the net cost of Peavy is really $18 mill.
We pay Danks $14.25 million

Is Peavy worth $3.75 million more than Danks? Especially as you're tied up for 1 year?
My point is that the Peavy deal as structured isn't as out of whack as it seems.

And then throw in Liriano - if he would command, say, a Danks deal of $14.25 per year, is he worth $5.25 more than Floyd? I'd say yes, but my caveat is that I don't know that we want 4 lefties in the rotation. I love the looks of Liriano so far....wish we could keep him. The albatross is looking to be the Danks deal (admittedly it's magnified in retrospect of his injury).

Also considering that we have offensive holes that will only widen, can we afford to lose one of our 2 near-ace pitchers?

Lip Man 1
08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Six players will be question marks for next year depending on their contracts, free agent status and such:

A.J., Youk, Liriano, Floyd, Peavy and Myers. Add in Danks' injury status and that's a lot of question marks Kenny has to deal with.

A.J. and Peavy have already indicated they want to return for what it's worth.

But that's something to deal with in three months, not right now.

Lip

Noneck
08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Viciedo is up for arbitration also.

SCCWS
08-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Six players will be question marks for next year depending on their contracts, free agent status and such:

A.J., Youk, Liriano, Floyd, Peavy and Myers. Add in Danks' injury status and that's a lot of question marks Kenny has to deal with.

A.J. and Peavy have already indicated they want to return for what it's worth.

But that's something to deal with in three months, not right now.

Lip

I doubt Sox go for Myer's 10 mil club option. He got a starter salary and is now a set-up guy.

Youk will be a interesting problem. He is high at 12 mil but the next tier down for 3rd basemen is 8-9 mil. That is Uribe and Figgins.............uggh. The Sox offense is struggling despite big improvement years from AJ-Rios-Dunn. Meanwhile Alexei lost his power, Tank lost his stroke and Beckham is still lost.
Maybe if managment thinks Youk is basically healthy, they try for 8-9 mil as a 3rd baseman and hope someone else doesn't offer him the same or more but as a 1st baseman or DH.

doublem23
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Viciedo is up for arbitration also.

No he's not, doesn't look like he has the service time to hit arbitration until after the 2014 season.

Noneck
08-10-2012, 02:14 PM
No he's not, doesn't look like he has the service time to hit arbitration until after the 2014 season.

Then what? His contract ran through this year.

doublem23
08-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Then what? His contract ran through this year.

Pre-arb

kittle42
08-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Myer's

Is he friend's with Kerry Wood's and Barry Bond's?

Tragg
08-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Youk will be a interesting problem. He is high at 12 mil but the next tier down for 3rd basemen is 8-9 mil. That is Uribe and Figgins.............uggh. .

As in Juan Uribe? 8-9 Mill? LOL. Maybe 2.
He and Figgins will more likely be non-roster Spring Training invitees for some team.

esbrechtel
08-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Youk is going to give the final out ball to the chairman... then signs a 5 year deal :D:

Zisk77
08-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I love Youk and Jake, but their contracts are not based on current performance level. Bye.

AJ and Liriano, I'd be competitive for Liriano based on what we see through this year. I'd be more than competitive for AJ, he's "ours" and is playing at a high level.

Offensively yes. Defensively he is showing his age. He has been horrible trying to block passed balls/wild pitches. Really lazy at times. I love A. J. and would love to see him retire a whitesox, but if the money isn't right it time to move on.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2012, 12:16 PM
For what it's worth I saw a recent poll of A.L. players stating that A.J. was the second best defensive catcher in the league behind the kid from Baltimore.

Lip

SephClone89
08-11-2012, 01:32 PM
For what it's worth I saw a recent poll of A.L. players stating that A.J. was the second best defensive catcher in the league behind the kid from Baltimore.

Lip

I looove the kid from Baltimore.

SCCWS
08-11-2012, 02:12 PM
As in Juan Uribe? 8-9 Mill? LOL. Maybe 2.
He and Figgins will more likely be non-roster Spring Training invitees for some team.

Think again. Juan Uribe is signed though 2013. He gets 8 mil this year and 7 next. Figgins gets 9.5 mil ( 12)--8.5 (13)--9 (14).