PDA

View Full Version : Konerko's Slump

ShooterMcGavin
08-05-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm concerned with Konerko's slump, albeit a relative term, because Paul is still a great hitter. Alex Rios now has a higher batting average than Konerko.

Konerko's HR number is 17, good for only fourth best on the Sox. I heard Konerko say otherwise, but I think his declining production is at least partly due to his wrist.

Madvora
08-05-2012, 09:03 AM
I have no idea how his average is still so high because it seems like never gets a hit. He's terrible now.

white sox bill
08-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I have no idea how his average is still so high because it seems like never gets a hit. He's terrible now.
I was thinking same, this isn't the same Paulie from a while back when he was at .400 (not that I expected that pace) but he only has what 53 RBI's? Not too good considering where hes hitting in the lineup

TomBradley72
08-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I have to believe the wrist/hand is really bothering him- before this recent slump (1/20) he's been keeping his average up- but the power is way off vs. April/May- his slugging pct has had a really big drop- especially his doubles.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Konerko continues to say it's not his wrist.

Is he lying then?

I have a hard time believing that he is.

Folks, the guy is in his mid 30's...he's been playing in the majors since 99...maybe he is simply losing the touch. He can't go on as an elite player forever.

Lip

Noneck
08-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Maybe like Larry Merchant used to say about boxers, One day you just become old.

doublem23
08-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Konerko continues to say it's not his wrist.

Is he lying then?

I have a hard time believing that he is.

Folks, the guy is in his mid 30's...he's been playing in the majors since 99...maybe he is simply losing the touch. He can't go on as an elite player forever.

Lip

Or maybe it's his wrist and he's just lying.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Maybe he is but Konerko has never struck me as the type of person who'd do that. If the wrist was bothering him to the extent it was affecting his performance he'd tell the Sox and he wouldn't be playing in the first place.

I don't think he'd put the team in jeopardy vis a vis playing when he's not at his best.

Lip

JB98
08-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Maybe he is but Konerko has never struck me as the type of person who'd do that. If the wrist was bothering him to the extent it was affecting his performance he'd tell the Sox and he wouldn't be playing in the first place.

I don't think he'd put the team in jeopardy vis a vis playing when he's not at his best.

Lip

Thing is, Paul on his worst day is still better than anybody the Sox have on their bench. I'm sure he knows that, although he'd never say it. So, he's not going to ask out of the lineup.

He's had a terrible week. I hope he comes out of it quickly.

balke
08-05-2012, 02:04 PM
How long is this slump statisticaally this thread talks about? Can we get some numbers? He's been facing a string of pitchers he historically struggles against.

JB98
08-05-2012, 02:10 PM
How long is this slump statisticaally this thread talks about? Can we get some numbers? He's been facing a string of pitchers he historically struggles against.

Konerko enters Sunday's game in a 1-for-26 slump.

I do know he is 9-for-66 lifetime against Greinke. That wasn't going to be the guy he was going to bust out against.

voodoochile
08-05-2012, 02:35 PM
He's going to be fine and he's getting ready to bust out soon.

TheVulture
08-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Konerko batted .301 for the month of July, just for the record.

Shoeless_Jeff
08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Meh, it's a slump. He'll be alright.

Hartman
08-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Seems like every hit is a single these days. During this "slump", he has had some bad at bats swinging at pitches that he never would have in the past.

However I do not think he is in a slump.

TomBradley72
08-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Lip

"Lying" doesn't seem like the right term to me- it's not unusual to here in the offseason that an injury was worse then was being communicated publicly.

My guess it's a case of an injured version of PK is better than the alternative and rest/disabled list might not help that much- so he's just playing through it.

The drop off in June/July for power numbers is pretty dramatic- I don;t see how age could set in that quickly-seems more likely it's related to the wrist.