PDA

View Full Version : Rank Your Confidence In The Sox Lineup

Madvora
08-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Of the regular starting lineup, at the time of your post, how confident do you feel when they step up to the plate?

Rios
De Aza
Pierzynski
Youkilis
Dunn
Viciedo
Ramirez
Konerko
Beckham

Noneck
08-04-2012, 11:08 PM
1. Rios
2.De Aza
3. Ramirez
4. Youkilis
5. AJ
6.Dunn
7. Viciedo
8. Beckham
9. Konerko

WisSoxFan
08-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Rios
De Aza
Youkilis
AJ
Rameriz
Dunn
Viciedo
Konerko
Beckham

JB98
08-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Right at this moment it would be:

1. De Aza
2. Rios
3. Pierzynski
4. Ramirez
5. Youkilis
6. Dunn
7. Viciedo
8. Beckham
9. Konerko

sullythered
08-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Right at this moment it would be:

1. De Aza
2. Rios
3. Pierzynski
4. Ramirez
5. Youkilis
6. Dunn
7. Viciedo
8. Beckham
9. Konerko

I would like:

1. Youkilis
2. De Aza
3. Rios
4. Dunn
5. Konerko
6. AJ
7. Ramirez
8. Tank
9. Beckham

I know that is a little unconventional, but I think Youk would get on base at a mad pace leading off, and I really think De Aza'a quick bat speed could get him over without sacrificing stolen base attempts. Let DA knock Youk over to third on hit and run, then DA can steal second uncontested. I think this could reek havoc to start the game. Plus Youk will make the opposing pitcher throw a zillion pitches right off the bat.

Noneck
08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
I would like:

1. Youkilis
2. De Aza
3. Rios
4. Dunn
5. Konerko
6. AJ
7. Ramirez
8. Tank
9. Beckham

I know that is a little unconventional, but I think Youk would get on base at a mad pace leading off, and I really think De Aza'a quick bat speed could get him over without sacrificing stolen base attempts. Let DA knock Youk over to third on hit and run, then DA can steal second uncontested. I think this could reek havoc to start the game. Plus Youk will make the opposing pitcher throw a zillion pitches right off the bat.

I believe the question was , who you have most confidence in now, not what you think the lineup should be.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Rios
DeAza
Youk
AJ
Paulie
TCM
Tank
Dunn
Beckham

Madvora
08-05-2012, 08:02 AM

I believe the question was , who you have most confidence in now, not what you think the lineup should be.
Right. Notice the lack of confidence in Konerko. This sounds almost hilarious to say but Konerko doesn't seem like he's done much since the point where he was hitting .399. I expect a double play everytime he's at bat now... even if there's no one on base.

harwar
08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Rios
DeAza
AJ
Youk
Konerko
Ramirez
Viciedo
Dunn
Beckham

#1swisher
08-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Rios
De Aza
Pierzynski
Dunn
Youkilis
Viciedo
Beckham
Ramirez
Konerko *I think he's playing injured.*

doublem23
08-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Right. Notice the lack of confidence in Konerko. This sounds almost hilarious to say but Konerko doesn't seem like he's done much since the point where he was hitting .399. I expect a double play everytime he's at bat now... even if there's no one on base.

Which is actually hilarious because since he topped out at .399, his OBP is still .320 which is still basically the league average. I know he's one of the best hitters in the AL when he's right, but putting the guy dead last? I'm rolling my eyes so hard at this thread I can see behind me.

Get a grip, guys. I know he's been in a slump lately, but even at 1/2 strength, he's still a better hitter than 1/2 our lineup.

Noneck
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Which is actually hilarious because since he topped out at .399, his OBP is still .320 which is still basically the league average. I know he's one of the best hitters in the AL when he's right, but putting the guy dead last? I'm rolling my eyes so hard at this thread I can see behind me.

Get a grip, guys. I know he's been in a slump lately, but even at 1/2 strength, he's still a better hitter than 1/2 our lineup.

The question is who do you have confidence in as of this moment, not who is a better hitter. Thats great that you have confidence in Paul now but I dont.

TDog
08-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Perception is everything. Konerko hasn't grounded into a double play since June. He doesn't lead the team. Dunn doesn't either, but he has grounded into three double plays since the end of June. Konerko was hot a week ago. His seven-game hitting streak, during which he hit .500, was broken a week ago. He has only two hits since. In the last game of the hitting streak, he hit a home run against Matt Harrison that put the White Sox ahead to stay. But he didn't do anything the next day when the White Sox were shut out, didn't do anything in Minnesota, a team he tore up a week earlier, and hasn't done anything against the Angels. Konerko has had two RBIs in that span, but they came in two one-run losses, and he was in situations where he could have done more. But Dunn was in more RBI situations in those one-run, ending a few innings.

Dunn has only one RBI since he homered later in the win against Matt Harrison. It was an important sacrifice fly in a 3-2 win (all three runs were runners scored from third with less than two outs, two with productuve outs and one with a De Aza bullet that knocked out the pitcher), but he hasn't had a hit with a runner in scoring position in the week that Konerko hasn't been hitting.

The three-four hitters in the White Sox lineup haven't produced in the last week. Dunn has three hits in 24 at bats with two walks and a sacrifice fly. Konerko has one hit in 27 at bats, a run-scoring single, with one walk, one hit-by-pitch and a run-scoring ground out.

The best clutch hitter, the most reliaable RBI man for the Sox lately has been De Aza. Rios, who was pobably the best offensive player for the Sox in the first half of the season, continues to be the most dangerous hitter. Pierzyski has been hot. Ramirez has been hitting well and has been since his family isuses were resolved.

Overall, if you weren't taking current streaks into consideration, you would probably want Rios batting third and Pierzynski batting fifth with Konerko cleaning up. Maybe you would have Ramirez second. Beckham has slumped since being taken out of the No. 2 spot, which could be related to being a better hitter with De Aza on base. But Youkilis has proven a very good No. 2 hitter. De Aza, of course, is your best leadoff man with the bonus of being a good RBI man when the lineup turns over.

The thing is, you don't know when slumps and hot streaks are going to end. Especially as a fan, it might feel like Konerko will never hit again, or at least in the near future. You build your lineup for what players are expected to do, but they aren't performing in a vacuum. It might not be a coincidence that Dunn and Konerko are so cold at the same time.

The everyday lineup Ventura is putting out there may end up team-wise as the best he can send out there.

JB98
08-05-2012, 12:47 PM
The question is who do you have confidence in as of this moment, not who is a better hitter. Thats great that you have confidence in Paul now but I dont.

Exactly. I was at the game last night. When Paul came up with runners on first and third and one out in the third inning, I was just *praying* he would make only one out instead of two.

He hit a chopper to 3B that would have been a DP had Youkilis not been running on the pitch. The 3B foolishly threw home and failed to get De Aza, but it was still not a good swing by Konerko.

I have no faith that anything positive is going to happen when Paul is at the plate right now. He'll get better, sure, he has a track record. But the question was who do you have confidence in right now. I think the OP was looking for a snapshot of this moment in time, as opposed to a big picture view of the situation.

Madvora
08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
I'd like an update from the WSI community now. And remember...

Of the regular starting lineup, at the time of your post, how confident do you feel when they step up to the plate?

Noneck
08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
1. Rios
2. Ramirez
3. Youkilis
4. Viciedo
5. Wise
6. Dunn
7. Beckham
8. Konerko
9. AJ

slavko
08-31-2012, 12:53 PM

#1swisher
08-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Rios
De Aza
Pierzynski
Youkilis
Dunn
Viciedo
Ramirez
Konerko
Beckham

At this moment De Aza will be back Sunday.

Rios
Youkilis
Dunn
De Aza/Wise
Pierzynski
Beckham
Ramirez
Viciedo
Konerko (IMO, lingering effects of concussion)

delben91
08-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Konerko (lingering effects of concussion)

Has this been reported somewhere, or just your opinion?

If he's still having effects, he shouldn't be playing, period.

#1swisher
08-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Has this been reported somewhere, or just your opinion?

If he's still having effects, he shouldn't be playing, period.

Just my opinion.

TomBradley72
08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
rios
deaza
youk
aj
paulie
tcm
tank
dunn
beckham

+1

harwar
08-31-2012, 01:58 PM
1 Rios
2 Ramirez
3 Youk
4 Tank
5 Beckham
6 Konerko
7 Wise
8 Dunn
9 AJ

Huisj
08-31-2012, 02:03 PM
If there are runners in scoring position, especially on third, I think I have the most confidence in Ramirez. Stats:

2012:
w/ RISP: .367/.392/.477 in 122 PA
2 outs w/ RISP: .354/.380/.479 in 50 PA
w/ runner on 3rd: .442/.462/.626 in 52 PA

career:
w/ RISP: .305/.347/.457
2 w/ RISP: .302/.358/.462
w/ runner on 3rd: .379/.397/.617

Those are some crazy numbers.

Hitmen77
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
I'd have to say that, for the current lineup, Rios is #1 and then it drops off significantly after that. I'd put Youk and Ramirez 2nd and 3rd and then I don't have much confidence at all after that.

Hopefully Wise can swing a hot bat at least until De Aza comes back and hopefully De Aza is healthy and back to giving this offense a boost.

These guys better rack up a lot of runs at Detroit this series because I'm completely expecting the Tigers to score a bunch of runs against us (even against Sale and Peavy).....and yes, I'm aware of what Cy Chen and Catfish Guthrie did to the Tigers this week.

sox1970
08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm not going to rank them, but I'm ready for Hawk to bring back the word "contagion", even if it is annoying.

beasly213
08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
1. Youk
2. Rios
3. Ramierez
4. Konerko
5. Tank
6. AJ
7. Wise
8. Dunn
9. Beckham

fram40
08-31-2012, 04:26 PM

Rios
Ramirez (with RISP)
Youk
Wise/De Aza
Konerko
AJ
Beckham
Dunn
Tank

dolphinron11
09-01-2012, 06:52 AM
konerko beckham no question on bottom.
will konerko ever learn to bunt with two on and no outs and tie game or one down?....no
just hit into double play.
beckham is just a rally killer every damnnn time.

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Dunn with his .205 batting average has no business batting 3rd in the lineup. A guy who has 38 HRs should have over 100 ribbies, look at Cabrera, batting .329, 33 HRs and 109 RBIs, thats production. Dunn with all his Ks is a huge rally killer. As a kid I always made fun of Ernie Banks as he would either hit a HR or pop it up, Banks with his .274 lifetime B.A. is like Ty Cobb compared to Dunn.

Confidence Level 9-1-12:

Rios
TCM
Youk
DeAza
PK
AJ
Tank
Beckham
Dunn

Konerko05
09-01-2012, 02:44 PM
will konerko ever learn to bunt with two on and no outs and tie game or one down?....no
just hit into double play.

So you have two men on with no outs and your best hitter up at the plate (struggling or not), and you want him to make an out on purpose?

Wow.

You do not drive in 1300+ runs in your career by grounding into double plays everytime there are men on base. Sorry.

#1swisher
09-01-2012, 06:02 PM
At this moment De Aza will be back Sunday.

Rios
Youkilis
Dunn
De Aza/Wise
Pierzynski
Beckham
Ramirez
Viciedo
Konerko (IMO, lingering effects of concussion)

UPDATED: 9.1.11
Rios
Youkilis
Pierzynski
Johnson
Beckham
Ramirez
Viciedo
Konerko
Wise

34rancher
09-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Dunn with his .205 batting average has no business batting 3rd in the lineup. A guy who has 38 HRs should have over 100 ribbies, look at Cabrera, batting .320, 33 HRs and 120 RBIs, thats production. Dunn with all his Ks is a huge rally killer. As a kid I always made fun of Ernie Banks as he would either hit a HR or pop it up, Banks with his .274 lifetime B.A. is like Ty Cobb compared to Dunn.

Confidence Level 9-1-12:

Rios
TCM
Youk
DeAza
PK
AJ
Tank
Beckham
Dunn

Be careful, people around here don't like hearing how strikeouts are bad. He's hitting like .204 with RISP. If he hit .275 with runners in scoring position, he'd have another 30-40 rbis and we'd have the division locked up.
Konerko hasn't been great as of late, but the walk Dunn for a gidp by konerko almost seems intentional lately. Imagine if TCM had as many RBI situations with his RISP average.
I like your list, but I'd put D-Wise in there somewhere. In fact when DeAza is healthy, I would mind seeing some pinch hitting by Wise as clutch as he's been.

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Be careful, people around here don't like hearing how strikeouts are bad.Most of them are people who like the newer analytics. I would direct them to Dunn's WAR and WAA for this season. Not good.

Madvora
09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Rios
Pierzynski
Ramierez
DeAza
Dunn
Wise
Youkilis
Viciedo
Konerko
Beckham

russ99
09-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Rios
DeAza
Pierzynski

--

Konerko
Ramirez

---

Everyone else.

BTW: I hope Paul has his hand surgery or whatever he needs to get that fixed this offseason.
Don't want to waste yet another half season of him due to that again.

Mohoney
09-26-2012, 10:39 PM
1 Rios
2 Pierzynski
3 De Aza
4 Wise
5 Dunn
6 Konerko
7 Youkilis
8 Beckham
9 Ramirez

palehozenychicty
09-26-2012, 10:43 PM
1 Rios
2 Pierzynski
3 De Aza
4 Wise
5 Dunn
6 Konerko
7 Youkilis
8 Beckham
9 Ramirez

Who would've thunk that Rios would be the best player on the team in March?

His ability isn't in question. It's the consistency and focus. Hopefully he can do it again these next few years.

enurb
09-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Dan Johnson is at the top of my list.