PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-4 No miracles tonight LAA 6 SOX 5 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Floyd really screwed the pooch by giving up five runs.

Callaspo always kills us.

guillensdisciple
08-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Meh, good game to watch.

Oh and beer still sucks.

Hartman
08-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Something has to be done about thornton and his meatballs.

billyvsox
Thornton killed all the momentum by lobbing that 3-2 pitch over the plate for Callespo. He still scares me.

samurai_sox
I have zero, absolutely ZERO confidence in Thornton.

I haven't cringed seeing a Sox reliever go out there since Mike Macdougal.

RadioheadRocks
08-04-2012, 11:01 PM
i have zero, absolutely zero confidence in thornton.

I haven't cringed seeing a sox reliever go out there since mike macdougal.

+1

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Lead down to 1.5 games.

I like the home runs, but it would be nice if we could string together some hits to stack up some runs. PK, Dunn, Viciedo and Beckham killed our rallies tonight.

Boondock Saint
08-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Anybody would have drilled that meatball Thornton threw to Callaspo. On the other hand, we're not even in this boat if Floyd could figure out how to put a decent game together.

voodoochile
08-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Dunn just missed the game winner and even PK in the 10th just got under that popup. He was right no it timing-wise (which was nice to see). Even Tank scalded a pitch just right at a guy. I got a feeling the offense ready to bust out again.

Aesero
08-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Floyd and Thornton, what new.

RadioheadRocks
08-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Floyd and Thornton, what new.

Unfortunately the way things are going, I have a sick feeling that the season is going to boil down to these two clowns.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2012, 11:08 PM
The way these guys have been winning one run games and after what happened last night I felt for sure they were going to do it again. Shows what I know.

Have to beat these guys tomorrow and take the series, Detroit took three of four from them just a few weeks ago.

After blowing two straight games in Texas and after the Sox beat them the way they did yesterday, tonight's game was there for the taking. Disappointing.

Typical Gavin Floyd game. Unfortunately the Sox may have to pick up the option and keep him around if Danks isn't ready to go.

Lip

Soxman219
08-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Gotta win the series tomorrow and hope Cleveland can find enough heart to beat the Tigers.

CHISOXFAN13
08-04-2012, 11:10 PM
The pitch selection to Callaspo on 3-2 was a joke.

EdHerman12
08-04-2012, 11:33 PM
I don't know if the club has a team Psychiatrist, but if it does....someone please book an appointment for Gavin Floyd...this guy has lost it....I'm not blaming Thornton...Floyd poops his pants...again! Enough is enough....What a shame...this team can hit the ball...but can we pitch the ball?

GO WHITE SOX!`

PalehosePlanet
08-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Looking at the pitching matchups coming into the weekend, I figured there was a good chance we'd lose Friday vs. Greinke, but that we'd kill the struggling Santana and Haren. Yet somehow, we only score 3 in 6 innings? Terrible.

Hopefully we jump on Haren tomorrow and win the series.

Tragg
08-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Floyd had a bad first inning.
Relievers give up runs. They're not perfect.
Angels can hit.
Too much swinging for the fences.

TDog
08-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Something has to be done about thornton and his meatballs.

Thornton got the win last night after a scoreless 10th. Ventura considered him the best option out of the bullpen in extra innings tonight against the Angels' explosive offense, even though he had pitched the night before. And Ventura understands that the Sox are going to face an appreciably tougher pitcher if the the Angels have the lead. Scioscia isn't going to bring out his closer unless he has the lead. If Thornton doesn't give up the run, the Sox have a better chance of scoring in the 10th.

Considering that the only rookie pitcher from the Sox predominately rookie bullpen to pitch in the last two nights has been Nate Jones, brought in both last night and tonight with the Sox trailing in the game, I am wondering what faith he has in the rest of the bullpen. I am guessing that is why he went so long with Floyd, only taking him out after surrending the home run to Puljos. The longer the starter goes, the fewer relievers will be needed. There might have been fans at the park, though, looking for Floyd to be pulled in the first.

Ventura probably doesn't want to overwork Reed and prefers not to pitch him in a tie game, which would be the only way he would start an extra inning at home. The reality is that anyone the Sox would have brought in to pitch the 10th tonight had a good chance of giving up at least one run to the Angels. And if you aren't going to go to the rookie pitchers, you are going to pitcher who are pitching on consecutive nights against the same team.

Really, the White Sox needed to win this game in the eighth or ninth, even if their bullpen came into the series with more rest than the Angels bullpen.

It's amazing, though, that this was such a winnable game for the Sox. In the first inning, it seemed it was going to be a long night. It was a long night, and a tough loss, of course, but it was a great game, especially if you don't dwell on the home run Trout took away and absense of any hits with runners in scoring position.

Fortunately, the Sox will miss the Angels' ace this weekend. The Angels roughed up Liriano in three starts in April and early May this season. Hopefully on Sunday Dan Haren (who has given up two three runs in 12 innings in his last two starts) will be due for a bad start and the Angels will face a different Liriano.

EdHerman12
08-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Floyd had a bad first inning.
Relievers give up runs. They're not perfect.
Angels can hit.
Too much swinging for the fences.

Floyd blew this game...period...he's the biggest head case in baseball...When I looked at the threee game rotation THIS was the game I shook my head and thought...uh-oh....Hey..it's only one game, but there's too much of a pattern going on here between Gavin and Humber....they want to rest the other arms that's fine...but they better hope the team keeps hitting well because these two are blowing it! Thornton is Thornton...good in the eighth...bad after... I'm done....On to the next game...

guillensdisciple
08-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Guys, the tigers are only good at home so they can go **** themselves.
**** detroit.

And ye buddy.

Beer still sucks.

WisSoxFan
08-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Guys, the tigers are only good at home so they can go **** themselves.
**** detroit.

And ye buddy.

Beer still sucks.

Not to mention they are playing the Indians who are playing dead. They are D-U-N done!

guillensdisciple
08-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Not to mention they are playing the Indians who are playing dead. They are D-U-N done!

That's hilarious because you misspelled done.
Did i say this??? **** Detroit and it's dumb ass city.

WisSoxFan
08-05-2012, 12:18 AM
That's hilarious because you misspelled done.
Did i say this??? **** Detroit and it's dumb ass city.

I want one of what you're having...:D: Sounds like you're having a good night - the game notwithstanding.

JB98
08-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Five runs is enough to win if you get halfway decent starting pitching. The Sox got poor starting pitching for the second night in a row.

The guys battled back, but you can't expect to win when your starter puts you in a hole like that right off the bat. The Sox were fortunate it was only 3-0. Could have easily been 5-0 or 6-0.

Offensively, there is a little too much swinging from the heels going on. The team is relying on the home run to score. I like home runs, but I'd also like to see three or four hits strung together sometime tomorrow.

guillensdisciple
08-05-2012, 12:38 AM
I want one of what you're having...:D: Sounds like you're having a good night - the game notwithstanding.

Meh can't let the sox do damage on the rest of the night and I'm not having anything but beer- which is doing nothing to my well being.

Oh and did I mention that detroit is a very ****ty city with nothing going for it.

Damn there is nothing to do at 12 in San Antonio.

On a more serious note. **** you Detroit.

SpartanSoxFan
08-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Meh can't let the sox do damage on the rest of the night and I'm not having anything but beer- which is doing nothing to my well being.

Oh and did I mention that detroit is a very ****ty city with nothing going for it.

Damn there is nothing to do at 12 in San Antonio.

On a more serious note. **** you Detroit.

Post of the year candidate. :bandance:

Dick Allen
08-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Attended my first game this year. My friend and I were astounded that Floyd came out for the 7th inning. One of the many little things that cost us the game.

thomas35forever
08-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Attended my first game this year. My friend and I were astounded that Floyd came out for the 7th inning. One of the many little things that cost us the game.
Yeah, I was surprised he came out for the 7th. Robin seems to have a tendency of sticking with his starters a little longer than he should. I don't know what the justification is, but he might want to revisit the mindset so events like the Pujols homer don't happen.

Also, I remain in the boat of "please do something about Floyd before he dooms this team's chances", but I'd be surprised (albeit pleasantly) if anything happens with him.

kufram
08-05-2012, 04:06 AM
It was a team loss.... the game was tied after Floyd left, I believe. Get a win today keep it going. The Tigers have the Yankees and Rangers next.

October26
08-05-2012, 08:54 AM
It was a team loss.... the game was tied after Floyd left, I believe. Get a win today keep it going. The Tigers have the Yankees and Rangers next.

I like the way you think. Yes, it was a tough team loss for the Sox last night.

I hope to be done with work by the time today's Sox game starts and plan to jump in the gamethread later. GO SOX!

Chez
08-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I know Matt Thornton has become the 2012 WSI whipping boy, but here is a list of the left handed set-up men for A.L. contenders:

Phil Coke
Boone Logan/Clay Rapada
Scott Downs (curently on DL)
Jerry Blevins
Robbie Ross
Jake McGee/J.P. Howell

Who would you take over Thornton?

fram40
08-05-2012, 09:38 AM
I know Matt Thornton has become the 2012 WSI whipping boy, but here is a list of the left handed set-up men for A.L. contenders:

Phil Coke
Boone Logan/Clay Rapada
Jerry Blevins
Robbie Ross
Jake McGee/J.P. Howell

a rested Leyton Septimo over an overused Thornton.

btw - I would also prefer an overused Septimo over a rested Thornton.

sox1970
08-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Thornton is a victim of his own past greatness.

He was the best lefty setup guy in baseball. Now he's still good, but not great.

WSox597
08-05-2012, 09:44 AM
When the "bad Gavin" shows up, all too often these days, you can see why Philly was willing to give up on him.

Mr. Inconsistency may be beyond "Coop'll fix him". Hopefully he's not, but it's not looking good.

8 wild pitches this year, so far. Way too many walks.

As the pitching staff questions come up, we have a candidate right here for trade bait. But he'd have to pitch better at least for a little while. Even with the injury history, Peavy is a much better bet than Floyd.

Saracen
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Phil Coke
Boone Logan/Clay Rapada
Jerry Blevins
Robbie Ross
Jake McGee/J.P. Howell

Robbie Ross in a heartbeat.

KenBerryGrab
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Floyd should not have faced Pujols in the 7th. Pat him on the butt after getting the first out, and let Jones give Albert a new arm slot to find.

That's on Robin.

palehozenychicty
08-05-2012, 11:48 AM
I've given up on Floyd a long while ago. He's the definition of mediocre.

This was a tough loss. They were fortunate to make it even interesting.

These teams in the AL are evenly matched. It's a thin margin of error.

TheOldRoman
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Floyd blew this game...period...he's the biggest head case in baseball...When I looked at the threee game rotation THIS was the game I shook my head and thought...uh-oh....Hey..it's only one game, but there's too much of a pattern going on here between Gavin and Humber....they want to rest the other arms that's fine...but they better hope the team keeps hitting well because these two are blowing it! Thornton is Thornton...good in the eighth...bad after... I'm done....On to the next game...No. Floyd didn't have a good game (against a great offense), but this game was still there for the taking. The offense allowing Santana to go 6 innings AND only scoring three runs off him him cost the Sox the game, if anything. His ERA was almost 6 coming into the game. He has been one of the worst starting pitchers in baseball this year, and the Sox only scratched across 3.

As per Floyd, I'd like to say that all the people castigating him now weren't calling him a "mental midget" after his last three starts giving up 0, 2, and 1 runs, but we all know they were. Floyd has been inconsistent in his career, but more often than not he gives the team a chance to win. He has received far more hatred than his performances have dictated, and I guess that will never change. Hell, a few people blamed him for losing us the game last Sunday in which he gave up 1 earned run and lost 2-0!

SCCWS
08-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't understand the angst over Floyd. He has been pitching here for 6 years. He is having a typical Floyd year, actually a perfect microcosm of his career:

W/L ERA Opp.BA

2012 8/9 4.43 .261

Career 66/64 4.49 .259

He is basically a .500 pitcher who will give a team innings and he is pretty healthy. A typical 4-5 starter. He doesn't need a psychiatrist. He is consistently mediocre. He has been with Coop 6 years and he still produces the same results.

doublem23
08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't understand the angst over Floyd. He has been pitching here for 6 years. He is having a typical Floyd year, actually a perfect microcosm of his career:

W/L ERA Opp.BA

2012 8/9 4.43 .261

Career 66/64 4.49 .259

He is basically a .500 pitcher who will give a team innings and he is pretty healthy. A typical 4-5 starter. He doesn't need a psychiatrist. He is consistently mediocre. He has been with Coop 6 years and he still produces the same results.

Because people have unrealistically crazy results. Floyd doesn't throw 8 IP of shutout baseball every time out? He's a bum who needs professional medical attention!

I don't think people give this Angels team credit for how good their offense is. 116 OPS+ is tops, by far, in the American League.

Floyd didn't have a great game, but he held a pretty solid team to only 5 runs, which could have been enough but the Sox offense couldn't handle Santana, who by the way, is having a horrible season. Lots of blame to go around, but whatever, sometimes you just lose. It's baseball. Hopefully they win today, win the series, and everyone takes a chill pill.

JB98
08-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Floyd should not have faced Pujols in the 7th. Pat him on the butt after getting the first out, and let Jones give Albert a new arm slot to find.

That's on Robin.

Agreed. I called Pujols' home run before it happened. It was the same situation as Friday. Pujols was allowed to get a fourth look at a tiring pitcher. That's not what you want.

RadioheadRocks
08-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Phil Coke
Boone Logan/Clay Rapada
Jerry Blevins
Robbie Ross
Jake McGee/J.P. Howell

Bachelor #8

hawkjt
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Gotta defend Floyd....as Stoney said yesterday,he did not profit from the Six man rotation concept,with a week off between starts. He came into Saturday nites game too strong,and could not find the plate early...not surprising when he if off for 6-7 days. Once he settled down,he held an explosive offense down well enough to allow the Sox to tie it up.

If Trout does not rob Gordo of that homer,Sox win in regulation.

Greinke gave up 5-6 runs the nite before and he is the second coming,but Gavin is a bum? That bum has a 2.40 ERA over his last 7 starts...some bum!