PDA

View Full Version : Robin

SCCWS
08-04-2012, 06:39 PM
As we get into the "heat" of the summer, I am still amazed at the job Robin has done. To take over a team without any managerial or even coaching experience, and have them play as good as they have is remarkable. I was one fan who thought he was an interim step while the rebuilding took place. A favorite son who fans would accept. I was wrong. He seems to be keeping it simple. The plan coming out of spring seems to be pretty much the same. Yes they added Youk and he changed the lineup some. But overall, he pretty much manages the same regardless of a player being hot or cold. His bullpen plan is also pretty much set even as a few pieces have changed. Robin seems to like consistency. So far it has worked well.

DickAllen72
08-04-2012, 06:42 PM
He has been a pleasant surprise so far. He has his faults, but he should improve as the years go by.

Noneck
08-04-2012, 06:48 PM
A young inexperiened manager needs a good coaching staff, which he has. He has also embraced guys like Torborg for help, Ventura is also a smart guy, add this all up and its not surprising at all.

TDog
08-04-2012, 07:03 PM
The idea that Ventura knew nothing about managing because he had never managed before was ridiculous.

Much of successful managing has to do with handing ballplayers. The chairman and his staff believed Ventura had the qualities to handle a team. How much of the comebacks of Rios and Dunn are related to personal pride and how much can be attributed to Ventura's inspiration is something I don't know. Peavy, coming off the season he came off his surgery, should have been expected to be stronger. Ventura seems to rely a lot on Don Cooper to make decisions regarding pitching, but it is fairly common for managers to look to pitching coaches even to suggest when a starter might need to be removed from a game.

Strategically, Ventura has been through a lot of baseball and he isn't that much different from other managers. He seems to understand how the moves he makes will affect the opposing manager's moves. The White Sox are still among the leaders in sacrifice bunts, although a bunch of teams, are bunched distantly behind the Angels.

I'm not surprised that Ventura is a solid manager. I have heard many suggest that he tends to leave his starters in too long. That may have cost the Whtie Sox some games this season, although some of those games in question would have been lost anyway. On the other hand, he seems to be intent on not burning out his bullpen, particularly his less experienced relievers.

billyvsox
08-04-2012, 11:31 PM
The idea that Ventura knew nothing about managing because he had never managed before was ridiculous.

Much of successful managing has to do with handing ballplayers. The chairman and his staff believed Ventura had the qualities to handle a team. How much of the comebacks of Rios and Dunn are related to personal pride and how much can be attributed to Ventura's inspiration is something I don't know. Peavy, coming off the season he came off his surgery, should have been expected to be stronger. Ventura seems to rely a lot on Don Cooper to make decisions regarding pitching, but it is fairly common for managers to look to pitching coaches even to suggest when a starter might need to be removed from a game.

Strategically, Ventura has been through a lot of baseball and he isn't that much different from other managers. He seems to understand how the moves he makes will affect the opposing manager's moves. The White Sox are still among the leaders in sacrifice bunts, although a bunch of teams, are bunched distantly behind the Angels.

I'm not surprised that Ventura is a solid manager. I have heard many suggest that he tends to leave his starters in too long. That may have cost the Whtie Sox some games this season, although some of those games in question would have been lost anyway. On the other hand, he seems to be intent on not burning out his bullpen, particularly his less experienced relievers.

I think personal pride was involved, but i also believe Robin had alot to do with it. I personally dont think those guys likrd Ozzie very much, especially with his statements to the media regarding their struggles. Robin has allowed them to do their thing and stay relaxed,

TDog
08-05-2012, 12:12 AM
I think personal pride was involved, but i also believe Robin had alot to do with it. I personally dont think those guys likrd Ozzie very much, especially with his statements to the media regarding their struggles. Robin has allowed them to do their thing and stay relaxed,

You might be right. There really is no way of knowing. And certainly, playing for a different manager, any different manager, would enhance the "fresh start" thing. But I don't believe a manager really has any impact on Rios, who has bounced back and forth between stardom and struggling, even under Guillen. I think he had to hit bottom to get serious about getting what he can out of his abilities. And playing right probably makes a different, too. With the personnel last year, Quentin, who should have been DHing fulltime, was going to be in right.

Daver
08-05-2012, 12:49 AM
I was quite pleased when Robin was named manager, a fresh approach with no preconceived notions of what has worked in the past, or an agenda to do things the way his mentor would have. Robin understands the game, and his calm demeanor along with his own work ethic are all he needed to set the standard for his expectations, though I will admit I had no idea that it would work this quickly.

sullythered
08-05-2012, 12:58 AM
I liked the move when we made it. What better a way to get away from our previous bad habbits than to bring a guy on board who has no preconceptions about how things "should" be done. And a smart, savvy, respected guy, at that. I figured Ventura would make a great manager. I am, however surprised as how quickly he is developing. The guy calms me down, for cripes sake.

He kinda has a zen Phil Jackson thing going on, minus the hippy stuff.

Viva Medias B's
08-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Robin has been a pleasant surprise. Sure, he has made his share of mistakes as a rookie manager and will probably make mistakes down the road. However, the level-headed approach he has brought (something we lacked last year and seasons before) has really helped us. Just ask Alex Rios.

russ99
08-05-2012, 01:23 AM
I still think Rios had a hard time with Greg Walker monkeying with swing and odd stance at the plate. But he did have a pretty good season in 2009, so maybe it worked for of while.

Robin's done a very good job so far with only two minor complaints: giving Coop too much control over the pitchers (with mixed results) and running the same lineup out every day, which may come back to bite us if players get worn out or injured down the stretch.

PaleHoser
08-05-2012, 10:46 AM
A manager's job is to take the pieces he's given and put them in the best position to succeed. I think Robin has done a great job at doing so.

I also think he should be given a lot of credit for handling the young bullpen. Watching Ozzie try to handle eight rookie pitchers would have been very ugly.

palehozenychicty
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I still think Rios had a hard time with Greg Walker monkeying with swing and odd stance at the plate. But he did have a pretty good season in 2009, so maybe it worked for of while.

Robin's done a very good job so far with only two minor complaints: giving Coop too much control over the pitchers (with mixed results) and running the same lineup out every day, which may come back to bite us if players get worn out or injured down the stretch.

I also wish that he'd mix the bench in a little bit more. But that's a small quibble. This franchise has long been thin on the roster side.

Otherwise, he's been excellent.