08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
That was awesome.

The Immigrant
08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
It's all good.

BigHurt3515
08-03-2012, 10:53 PM
I. Love. This. Team.

AJ pieing the reporter in the face was great.

34rancher
08-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Gave Sarah a great send off with that post game interview.

infohawk
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Rios!!!

aryzner
08-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I ****ing love this baseball team.

Starting pitcher has a rough night and they STILL win it.

This is the most fun I've had watching the Sox in what feels like a very, very long time.

WisSoxFan
It's good to be home! I'm not one to overstate wins or loses during the season, but that was a great win. Our #6 against their ace and the Sox pull it off especially with the Tigers playing the suddenlty hapless Indians.

kevingrt
Gave Sarah a great send off with that post game interview.

Nearly made my night as much as Rios' HR.

Anyone else besides me think Trout was for sure going to catch that ball?

KnightSox
08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
It's time teams start fearing the White Sox.

bunkaroo
08-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Dammit I was so close to buying tickets for this game this afternoon but I was feeling kind of tired. Damn.

Awesome ****ing game.

Scioscia's gotta be losing his mind over this loss after his hissy fit in the 1st.

voodoochile
Damn these games take a lot out of me, but it's worth it for nights like tonight which the Sox seem to be having more of than not this season. With the kittens absolutely pwning the toons tonight this was a very cool win. 11 games over is even cooler. Breaking through the ceiling finally. De Aza and Rios and AJ... oh my...

Don't stop now boys...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

bunkaroo

Absolutely.

The Immigrant
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM

I was surprised he didn't.

guillensdisciple
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM
If we can win the series against the angels, that goes a long way in showing how good and ready this team is.

Finally 11 over, what a game what a team and let's take this crap to the bank by beating them at least one more time.

Oh, I still dislike Humber with a passion but a win is a win so I'll keep the complaining to a minimum. Did not catch this one so can't wait to see the highlight of the walk off winner. We might have October baseball on the south side folks, and this time we're not livin on a prayer.

Just gotta keep on playing good ball.

Noneck
08-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Our #6 against their ace and the Sox pull it off especially with the Tigers playing the suddenlty hapless Indians.

Weaver is actually their ace but a very good win nonetheless.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2012, 11:00 PM
WisSoxFan:

Greinke is not their ace by the way that's Weaver but I understand your point.

--------------------------------------------

That's a White Sox walk-off winner.

6th time this year the Sox have come from behind in the 7th inning or later to eventually win the game. (Three of those occasions have taken place since July 24th!)

Humber now winless in his last 15 starts at U.S. Cellular Field.

He simply hasn't been the same pitcher since the All Star Break last year. I hoped he'd develop into a solid back end of the rotation guy...doesn't look like that's going to happen. What the doctors find in Danks Monday is going to be important. If he's OK from the start next year that lessens the reliance on Humber (and his importance).

Very very inconsistent. Pitches well at Texas, lousy against Detroit and the Angels and he can't seem to win at home.

I think this is the first time they are 11 over the .500 mark this year.

Lip

cbone
08-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Sarah decked in a black dress and A.J. letting her have it and in the same motion offering her a towel. The ultimate sign of respect. Great job Sox and Sarah! :bandance::gulp:

Zakath
08-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Rios is just in a zone this year. He now has 126 hits and has only had one string of 3 games in a row without a hit. 4th straight multi-hit game and the 40th this season. 9 for his last 18. Only 50 K in 396 AB. On pace for 194 H, 28 HR and 103 RBI.

2011 is more and more a distant memory for Alex.

WisSoxFan
08-03-2012, 11:05 PM
OK, Weaver is their ace, but Greinke pitches like one. Not a game most of us would have picked the Sox to win at 6:00 tonight.

Soxman219
08-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Love the good vibes surrounding the Sox right now. Feels so damn good to be home! I'm so happy for Rios, what a turnaround after last year!

Aesero
08-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Its all good just about sums it up.

voodoochile
08-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I think this is the first time they are 11 over the .500 mark this year.

Lip

Correct. I checked. They've been bouncing up against the 10 win ceiling for a while now and been unable to crack it until tonight.

voodoochile
08-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Sarah decked in a black dress and A.J. letting her have it and in the same motion offering her a towel. The ultimate sign of respect. Great job Sox and Sarah! :bandance::gulp:

In case anyone doesn't know this is her last night with CSN. I'm waiting for the video I know someone will have it eventually, but so far nothing.

PeteWard
08-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Don't forget Beckham perhaps saving a run in the 7th by starting that great DP. Rios might have never had his chance.

Tragg
08-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Rios - wow.

May not have needed extras had Dunn slid in the first - weird not to slide.

PeteWard
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
The game is under protest after Sciosia claimed PK was out of the baseline in the 1st. There is no chance this will stick is there?

doublem23
08-03-2012, 11:23 PM
The game is under protest after Sciosia claimed PK was out of the baseline in the 1st. There is no chance this will stick is there?

No, Scioscia is just being a dick.

That would be the lamest interference call ever, Konerko was never more than an arm-length off the base line, which I believe is a runner's right. It's not like he took some incredibly ridiculous line to the bag.

Moses_Scurry
08-03-2012, 11:24 PM

I can't imagine them replaying the entire game from the bottom of the first. That would be looney.

Great win!!!

voodoochile
08-03-2012, 11:25 PM

What's MLB gonna do, roll the game back to the first inning and make the teams start with men on 2nd and third and 2 away? That's ALL they could do. Anything else would be completely unprecedented.

Tragg
08-03-2012, 11:27 PM
You're supposed to run inside the line (although few runners ever do) and Konerko was on the outside.

asindc
08-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Rios - wow.

If he had busted ass to begin with he would not have needed to slide. At any rate, it's all good!!:bandance::bandance:

Zakath
08-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Q6b-lO_f18k

doublem23
You're supposed to run inside the line (although few runners ever do) and Konerko was on the outside.

Konerko was inside the line

WLL1855
What's MLB gonna do, roll the game back to the first inning and make the teams start with men on 2nd and third and 2 away? That's ALL they could do. Anything else would be completely unprecedented.

Exactly. It is the ump's call to make concerning interference. The can of worms that would be opened if MLB allowed this kind of appeal on a judgement call would be unbelievable.

The last time I think I saw a runner's interference call was against against Sizemore when the Sox played the Indians at home sometime around 2004-2005. And he was running on the infield grass when he got hit by the ball.

LoveYourSuit
Rios - wow.

Catcher was about 4 feet up the line taking the throw and blocking the path. I'm glad Dunn plowed him. He also had no choice.

AnkleSox
08-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Off work early, lollapalooza, get home just in time to see a walk off win, a bottle of maker's mark, and a brand new California king bed to sleep in. This is the best night I've had in a while.

PeteWard
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM

He really should have been called out.

Zakath
08-03-2012, 11:44 PM
A little better version of AJ's farewell to Sarah:

CMEdaIWCVyc

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2012, 11:45 PM
He really should have been called out.

Had he obstructed the throw, yes. That throw was **** with or without a baserunner going down the line.

Tragg
08-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Well, to be clear, you're supposed to be on the foul side of the line; Konerko was on the infield side of the line.

Catcher was about 4 feet up the line taking the throw and blocking the path. I'm glad Dunn plowed him. He also had no choice.
He blocked the line, not the plate. Dunn would have been safe with a slide - now part of that is that the catcher had to reach high for the ball and Dunn could have gone underneath. A throw lower to the ground, and I'd say he'd have been out regardless.

PeteWard
08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Had he obstructed the throw, yes. That throw was **** with or without a baserunner going down the line.

I think the argument is that by being inside the line PK forced the catcher to alter his throw thus pulling the first baseman off the bag towards second base.

Anyway, I will still be shocked if it is upheld.

PalehosePlanet
08-03-2012, 11:52 PM

There are horrible calls and non-calls every night all around MLB. This will be tossed aside like the thousands of protests that came before. The only protest that stuck, that I can recall -- in the last 40 years anyway -- is the George Brett pine-tar game in NY.

CHISOXFAN13
08-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Where's Home Fish?

Just when I think I can't have anymore fun watching this team, they pull off something like tonight.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Where's Home Fish?

Just when I think I can't have anymore fun watching this team, they pull off something like tonight.

Looks like he got banned.

Also, I wonder what "Tomorrow's Tribune Headline" would have been concerning Pierzynski's pie-ing of Kustok.

"Sox catcher shows misogynist tendencies after brutal, unprovoked attack on helpless reporter"

Madvora
08-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Game winning homerun in the bottom of the 10th and half of the posts in this thread are about a sideline reporter leaving a cable channel?

Lip Man 1
08-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Harold Reynolds on MLBN went off on the play saying it's the stupidist rule in baseball and then spent the rest of the night telling Eric Byrnes (who is in favor of the rule) every time a base runner on video was inside the line reaching for the base with his foot.

Lip

Zisk77
08-04-2012, 12:01 AM
I think the argument is that by being inside the line PK forced the catcher to alter his throw thus pulling the first baseman off the bag towards second base.

Anyway, I will still be shocked if it is upheld.

Still, interference can only be called when the throw is actually interfered with. Its like when the batter moves in front of the catcher when a guy is stealing a base. If the catcher doesn't attempt to throw and make contact with the batter its not interference.

PeteWard
08-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Harold Reynolds on MLBN went off on the play saying it's the stupidist rule in baseball and then spent the rest of the night telling Eric Byrnes (who is in favor of the rule) every time a base runner on video was inside the line reaching for the base with his foot.

Lip

Good point. The only time I have ever seen a guy called out on this is when the throw hits him.

samurai_sox
08-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Nice to beat the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of the United States of America of North America of the Western Hemisphere of Planet Earth of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Zisk77
08-04-2012, 12:12 AM
I would have named tonight thread:

Rios put the halos in the ghetto

or

Rios shakes, rattles, and rolls the halos.

or

Rios is the devil in disguise.

StillMissOzzie
08-04-2012, 12:15 AM

After that catch he made that was on ESPN's Web Gems highlights for a month or so, yes, I thought he had a chance. Happily, the moat is farther across than even he can reach.

SMO
:gulp:

Foulke You
08-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Good point. The only time I have ever seen a guy called out on this is when the throw hits him.

Exactly. Sox were on the other end of this last Monday against the Twins in the 9th. There was a play at first where the runner clearly was out of the line and blocked the throw. Set up the inning for the walkoff. Umps didn't call it and Robin didn't even go out to argue and that was the 9th and not the 1st inning. Umps just arent going to call that often. I didn't feel it was a "play under protest" type call. Scosia was just making a huge spectacle.

Foulke You
08-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Nice to beat the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of the United States of America of North America of the Western Hemisphere of Planet Earth of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Nicely done.:cool:

PeteWard
08-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Let's hear it for the bullpen. They have been pretty good.

voodoochile
08-04-2012, 12:22 AM

Agreed, Konerko was basically running with his right foor 6" inside the line and the catcher nearly heaved the ball into RF.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2012, 12:27 AM
No, Scioscia is just being a dick.

That would be the lamest interference call ever, Konerko was never more than an arm-length off the base line, which I believe is a runner's right. It's not like he took some incredibly ridiculous line to the bag.Nope. MLB rule 6.05 states:

A batter is out when...
(k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the threefoot line or inside (to the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;

So, you have to be in that lane that starts halfway down the first-base line.

He really should have been called out.Yes, he should have been.

I don't know how the appeal will go. Since the rule says "in the umpires judgment" it probably won't go anywhere. I don't think they overrule judgment calls.

voodoochile
08-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Nope. MLB rule 6.05 states:

A batter is out when...
(k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the threefoot line or inside (to the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;

Yes, he should have been.

I don't know how the appeal will go. Since the rule says "in the umpires judgment" it probably won't go anywhere. I don't think they overrule judgment calls.

I highlighted what seems the relevant portion of that rule. The ump clearly didn't feel Konerko interfered and as poor and wide as the throw was that's probably a valid assessment.

If the catcher had hit Paulie in the back there might be an argument, but he didn't. The catcher had a clear line to throw the ball to the firstbaseman, he just threw it too wide and that ended up causing PK to be safe.

It's a judgment call. The rule is clear about that.

Edit: And as to the appeal the only option they would seem to have is to make the teams start over from the point PK is called out. To start taking runs off the board and changing the outcome would be a ridiculous overreach. That's basically what they did with the Brett HR, forcing the teams to pick up the game at that point. If they overturn this game based on that play, Sox fans should picket and the Chicago newspapers should hammer MLB relentlessly as should ESPN and every other national sports station.

Edit2: Clearly PK did not interfere with the first baseman's ability to catch the ball, because he did indeed catch the ball. The rule says nothing about interfering with the fielder who throws the ball's ability to have a clean line to throw. This seems open and shut

Noneck
08-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Forget the protest, its a judgement call, the umps gave Scioscia more than enough time to argue his case, discussed the matter twice with the crew and stuck with the original decision. Case will be closed.

delben91
08-04-2012, 12:49 AM
I've never seen a protest actually result in changing the outcome of the game, so this would be a first for me.

Has it ever happened in the modern era?

PeteWard
08-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Meanwhile this is already looking like a two-team race. I figured Cleveland would be done by Labor Day not by today. I hope they show a bit more fight the rest of the weekend.

PeteWard
08-04-2012, 12:56 AM
I've never seen a protest actually result in changing the outcome of the game, so this would be a first for me.

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tar_Incident

palehozenychicty
08-04-2012, 12:59 AM

For real. Can't Bud Selig make them shorten that back to Anaheim? I don't know one human being there who considers Anaheim part of LA.

JB98
08-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Rios is the hero, but it's worth noting De Aza has been great lately. Really, he's had a fine year overall. It's been a long time since we've had such good play from our leadoff hitter.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2012, 01:08 AM

Yes, in the aforementioned "pine tar incident." George Brett hit a walk-off home run against the Yankees with a bat that had pine tar too far up the handle. Billy Martin pointed out the bat, and the umpire called Brett out, ending the game with a Yankees victory.

A review of the incident resulted in the game being replayed from the point of Brett's at bat, and the Royals went on to win the game.

TheOldRoman
08-04-2012, 01:11 AM
I don't know how the appeal will go. Since the rule says "in the umpires judgment" it probably won't go anywhere. I don't think they overrule judgment calls.Yeah, no chance the appeal is successful. If Selig didn't overturn Jim Joyce's colossal blunder which would have been the last out of Armando Galaraga's perfect game, he isn't going to overturn this call and have them replay the game from the first inning on.

fisk4ever
08-04-2012, 01:12 AM
[QUOTE=Zakath;2968710]A little better version of AJ's farewell to Sarah:

Sarah was a good sport about it. Good luck to her!

TheOldRoman
08-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Yes, in the aforementioned "pine tar incident." George Brett hit a walk-off home run against the Yankees with a bat that had pine tar too far up the handle. Billy Martin pointed out the bat, and the umpire called Brett out, ending the game with a Yankees victory.

A review of the incident resulted in the game being replayed from the point of Brett's at bat, and the Royals went on to win the game.Not a walk-off. The game was in Yankee Stadium. And he had settled back in the dugout to calmly watch when he was tossed out, at which point he exploded.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2012, 01:13 AM
I highlighted what seems the relevant portion of that rule. The ump clearly didn't feel Konerko interfered and as poor and wide as the throw was that's probably a valid assessment.

If the catcher had hit Paulie in the back there might be an argument, but he didn't. The catcher had a clear line to throw the ball to the firstbaseman, he just threw it too wide and that ended up causing PK to be safe.

It's a judgment call. The rule is clear about that.

Edit: And as to the appeal the only option they would seem to have is to make the teams start over from the point PK is called out. To start taking runs off the board and changing the outcome would be a ridiculous overreach. That's basically what they did with the Brett HR, forcing the teams to pick up the game at that point. If they overturn this game based on that play, Sox fans should picket and the Chicago newspapers should hammer MLB relentlessly as should ESPN and every other national sports station.

Edit2: Clearly PK did not interfere with the first baseman's ability to catch the ball, because he did indeed catch the ball. The rule says nothing about interfering with the fielder who throws the ball's ability to have a clean line to throw. This seems open and shut

I was mainly addressing the contention that it's the runner's "right" to run an arm's length inside the base path. It's absolutely not.

You're correct that it's a judgment call, which I'm pretty sure in not reviewable. The umpire determined that it wasn't Konerko that caused the throw to be so wide that it pulled the first baseman off the bag. However, it could easily have gone the other way (and personally I think it should have) because the rule says "interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base," not just taking the throw.

There were a couple of these "running inside the baseline" incidents in Minneapolis, as well. If the umpires aren't going to call them, catchers are going to be drilling the runners in order to force the call.

whitesoxfan1986
08-04-2012, 01:18 AM
You forgot the Solar System and Local Group:cool:

BigKlu59
08-04-2012, 01:41 AM
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:It's all good in banana dance land :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Another chest grabber, but hey... Gotta love those walkoff Home Runs..

Alex Rios has definately found the groove... He's been the most consistent hitter this season whilst others have had their ups and downs. Hats off to you Alex.. Job well done !!!!

BK59

Word has it Sarah is gonna go work for the Pinstripes at YES network.. I hope we dont lose her to the evil empire..

hoosiersoxfan
08-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Just made it home from the game. That was awesome! First walkoff homer I've been to since Scotty Pods in the 2005 World Series!

This team just doesn't give in, going to be a fun next two months and hopefully October as well!

DSpivack
08-04-2012, 02:44 AM
I have been to two games this season. Both have featured walk-off hits (the first one was via an Orlando Hudson single (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201206070.shtml)).

Tonight was one of the most fun nights I have ever had at the ballpark.

Took a friend to her 1st Sox game, she's also a big Elvis fan, from her father's love for him.

Ran into DumpJerry and friends on the concourse prior to the game.

Saw Flying Elvii make their entrance.

Had my first Irish "Nacho" helmet (better than the other nacho helmet, IMHO).

Met my brother-in-law and 3-year old nephew at our seats.

Watched a great game with a walkoff HR.

Saw the Return of the Flying Elvii, followed a few songs by a decent Elvis impersonator and then a pretty good fireworks show.

:bandance:

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 05:28 AM
For real. Can't Bud Selig make them shorten that back to Anaheim? I don't know one human being there who considers Anaheim part of LA.

Not even the same county but then we have to remember when the Sox were going to move to Addison which is in DuPage county would the Sox still have been considered a Chicago team.

doublem23
08-04-2012, 05:45 AM

I don't think they do either, but thanks for finding that for me. I learned something today. :)

doublem23
08-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Not even the same county but then we have to remember when the Sox were going to move to Addison which is in DuPage county would the Sox still have been considered a Chicago team.

Yeah, but counties out west and counties in the east are different animals. Cook County is just under 1,000 square miles, which is actually pretty big by eastern U.S. standards (it is the 6th largest county in Illinois after McLean, LaSalle, Iriquois, Livingston, and Champaign).

Los Angeles County, on the other hand, is over 4,000 square miles, and that's not even good enough to crack California's top 10 largest counties.

If you wanted to build a county around Chicago that is as extensive physically as Los Angeles County, you would need to combine Cook County with the the 5 traditional collar counties (DuPage, Lake, McHenry, Kane, and Will) and then also annex Lake County, Indiana.

vinny
08-04-2012, 06:59 AM
http://s13.postimage.org/gjx9wf25h/Screen_shot_2012_08_04_at_6_56_51_AM.png

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/v11_videodetail?PID=6cLLTB-ls6IjPUZtiRHB0t8nR0ioeJEA0wAtnoL

kittle42
08-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Sarah decked in a black dress and A.J. letting her have it and in the same motion offering her a towel. The ultimate sign of respect.

*Now* I know why people don't think I respect them. Where's my shaving cream?

SI1020
08-04-2012, 08:29 AM
OK I'm very happy about this win, as much as any win this year. On another note, I don't want another demographics argument and I really enjoyed the post by samurai_sox, but I understand why Arte Moreno is trying to capitalize on the "LA" thing. The team started out as the Los Angeles Angels and played in the old minor league ball park Wrigley Field. They actually played in Dodger Stadium from 1962-65. Orange County has many residents who started out in LA county, much like DuPage, Kane, Will, etc have many former Cook County residents. Plus LA means glitz, glamour and Hollywood, and Anaheim means, well whatever. So I understand but of course the name deserves to be made fun of at every opportunity. Last, how about Rios? I can't remember a Sox player in my lifetime making such a dramatic turnaround. Not even Adam Dunn. Maybe someone can, but I can't think of one right now.

DickAllen72
08-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Game winning homerun in the bottom of the 10th and half of the posts in this thread are about a sideline reporter leaving a cable channel?
That's because Sarah is the coolest. I wish her all the best.

October26
08-04-2012, 08:55 AM
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:It's all good in banana dance land :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Another chest grabber, but hey... Gotta love those walkoff Home Runs..

Alex Rios has definately found the groove... He's been the most consistent hitter this season whilst others have had their ups and downs. Hats off to you Alex.. Job well done !!!!

BK59

Word has it Sarah is gonna go work for the Pinstripes at YES network.. I hope we dont lose her to the evil empire..

Love the thread title and :thumbsup: to everything in your post except Sarah leaving. I always liked her. I enjoyed seeing AJ give Sarah the pie-in-the-face during her postgame interview with Alex and then immediately handing Sarah the towel - that was hilarious!

As for last night's Sox game, what a terrific win! :bandance: :bliss: :bandance: Kudos to the Sox offense for battling back, especially AJ (and his career-high19 homers this season) and of course, Alex Rios and that fantastic homer to give the Sox the win. Humber wasn't great but the Sox bullpen did a good job. I am really enjoying watching this Sox team and love the job Robin and the rest of the coaches are doing this year. I'm dreaming of seeing our Sox playing in October; keep on winning, White Sox!

Zakath
08-04-2012, 08:56 AM

Make them go back to being the California Angels and be done with it.

balke
08-04-2012, 09:12 AM

He gave it a heck of a shot. His spikes were nearly halfway up the wall. Rios just crushed that ball - out of reach.

ChiSoxGal85
08-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I got on Rios' case quite a bit last year, but this year Awesome Alex has been my pick to click many times. I salute him!

Great game. These guys don't quit!!! :bandance:

Hitmen77
08-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Great to win a game when you have Humber going against Grienke. We're going to need wins this weekend because the Tigers are playing the free-falling Indians. I love this team's ability to come back when they give up leads. If this was last year and they lost the lead, the game would be "ovah". Great job by the bullpen in stopping the Angels and giving our offense a chance to win the game.
:bandance::gulp:

I wasn't happy with the decision to send Dunn home in the 1st. But, McEwing has generally been pretty good about when to send players this year. It's much better than the terrible job Joey "windmill" Cora did when he was our 3B coach.

On the down side, Humber was terrible again. Once the Sox jumped out to a 4-1 lead, I just knew he was going to give those runs back. Those two-out runs are just brutal. Is that right that 5 of the 6 runs he gave up came after 2-outs and nobody on base? Geez. As JB98 pointed out in the game thread and Garfein pointed out in the post game, Humber has been just awful at home going back to June 2011. I forget the exact numbers, but the Sox won-loss in home games he started has been abysmal. At least they pulled this one out.

One other downside was Paulie going 0-5. I'd like to see him become the heart of this offense again going down the stretch.

hawkjt
08-04-2012, 10:54 AM
One of the more memorable wins of the year.
The Angels are playing great,and have a huge payroll.
No one thinks the Sox are in their league,but hey,better record.

Question:
While I like the 6 man rotation cocept,does it cause the pitchers to lose sharpness,control-wise? I would think that could be a concern.
But, while everyone hammers Humber, are the Angel fans hammering the 15 million dollar/yr Greinke who gave up the same number of runs as Humber? It was one of those lively ballpark nites,and both pitchers got hammered....one makes 1 million,the other makes 15 million and was traded for two of the top prospects on their farm. I like our guy.

DeAza was spectacular again...so clutch.
Rios passed PK as our best average hitter,along with homers and rbis last nite....kudos to Alex.
AJ? I'll have what you are having.....keep eating those wheaties,man! Tremendous late career season from our catcher. Sign him.

Tonite? A game we need,with a very erratic starter for the Angels. Gavin- time to give us a game...just throw strikes,man!
Sox caught a break missing Weaver and Wilson...must take advantage and win this series.

kevingrt
08-04-2012, 10:56 AM
I've already watched the replay about ten times this morning at random times.

I have also already come to the realization that these next two months are going to suck. I am going to be such an emotional wreck I won't be able to handle myself.

But... It is ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Good!

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, but counties out west and counties in the east are different animals. Cook County is just under 1,000 square miles, which is actually pretty big by eastern U.S. standards (it is the 6th largest county in Illinois after McLean, LaSalle, Iriquois, Livingston, and Champaign).

Los Angeles County, on the other hand, is over 4,000 square miles, and that's not even good enough to crack California's top 10 largest counties.

If you wanted to build a county around Chicago that is as extensive physically as Los Angeles County, you would need to combine Cook County with the the 5 traditional collar counties (DuPage, Lake, McHenry, Kane, and Will) and then also annex Lake County, Indiana.

I knew that but remember when Richard J. Daley said if the Bears moved to Arlington Hgts. he would not let them be called the Chicago Bears. Actually the Bears probably would have gone to court to keep Chicago in their name and won. I'm sure there are many companies in the suburbs that use Chicago in their names.

DonnieDarko
08-04-2012, 11:58 AM
I really regret missing the end of this game...especially due to the bad date I was on. :| Oh well. At least the Sox won, and in dramatic fashion, too.

DSpivack
08-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I knew that but remember when Richard J. Daley said if the Bears moved to Arlington Hgts. he would not let them be called the Chicago Bears. Actually the Bears probably would have gone to court to keep Chicago in their name and won. I'm sure there are many companies in the suburbs that use Chicago in their names.

His son did the same thing when the team threatened to move to Gary in the 90s, IIRC.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I really regret missing the end of this game...especially due to the bad date I was on. :| Oh well. At least the Sox won, and in dramatic fashion, too.

Blind date?

Moses_Scurry
08-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Details, please.

October26
08-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I've already watched the replay about ten times this morning at random times.

I have also already come to the realization that these next two months are going to suck. I am going to be such an emotional wreck I won't be able to handle myself.

But... It is ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Good!

I hear you. I plan to enjoy each Sox win and not freak out too much when they lose. I wish the Sox Central division lead was more than 2.5 games; the Tigers are right behind us. GO SOX!

DonnieDarko
08-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Details, please.

Eh, not much to tell. She was just annoying and didn't know when to stop talking. One of those "steams of consciousness" people. Also talked about the most inappropriate things.

LongLiveFisk
08-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Make them go back to being the California Angels and be done with it.

I think they should just be the Anaheim Angels.

TDog
08-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Nope. MLB rule 6.05 states:

A batter is out when...

Yes, he should have been.

Umpires' judgment calls can't be protested, in theory anyway.

The reason there is a box in foul territory down the first-base line is that this is batter-runners are supposed to run coming up the line.

As far as interference is concerned, the approved ruling used to be (and I have been told this was taught in umpire schools) that interference should be called if the ball hits the batter-runner inside the line. If the ball hits him in fair territory, he is out and the runners return to their original bases. If the ball hits the runner who is within that box, defensive havoc ensues.

Wednesday night in the eighth inning in San Francisco, the Mets had the bases loaded with none out and a 2-1 lead. Josh Thole grounded to Brett Pill at first who threw home for the force. Buster Posey's return throw to first bounced off Thole and down the first-base line. The umpire called Thole out and placed the runners on first and second. Giants announcer Mike Krukow went on about how catchers are trained to nail runners going up the line in the back if they are in the way in fair territory. I don't know if that's the case, though, because getting the out would require recognition of interference by the umpire. The White Sox lost a game to the Twins this week after umpires did not grant an interference call, although I don't know interference was actually there.

Runners, for their part, can see where the fielder is setting up to take the throw. If they can force the throw wide without being hit, that has always been regarded as smart baseball. It's the same for a runner going into second breaking up a three-six-three double play, but in that case, the runner doesn't risk being called out for being hit as long as he didn't run out of the much vaguer baseline.

The only way I see interference being called on Konerko is if the throw hits him. The Angels manager was a Dodgers catcher who actually worked with Konerko (who didn't develop into a Dodger catcher but is an experienced first baseman who knows how the play works). Mike Scioscia knows the reality of interference calls on that play. He knows his catcher and first baseman let Konerko effectively break up the double play. If it happens again in this series, the Angels catcher will most certainly nail the White Sox runner in the back, if the batter runner stays in fair territory.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Eh, not much to tell. She was just annoying and didn't know when to stop talking. One of those "steams of consciousness" people. Also talked about the most inappropriate things.

Must have been a Cub fan.

thomas35forever
08-04-2012, 02:58 PM
This is definitely a game to look back on if we win the division. Rios needs to at least be considered for AL Comeback Player of the Year. He can do no wrong right now.

SephClone89
08-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Must have been a Cub fan.

:scratch: Is that...something Cubs fans are supposed to do?

Marqhead
08-04-2012, 04:27 PM

It's a joke. Jesus Christ.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 04:33 PM
It's a joke. Jesus Christ.

You beat me to it.

BRDSR
08-04-2012, 04:57 PM

I would argue that talking about the Cubs at all is inappropriate in every sense of the word.

Wait...am I talking about the Cubs RIGHT NOW? In a White Sox-walk-off home-run-in-the-bottom-of-the-10th-inning post-game thread??? Forgive me these sins.

cards press box
08-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I hear you. I plan to enjoy each Sox win and not freak out too much when they lose. I wish the Sox Central division lead was more than 2.5 games; the Tigers are right behind us. GO SOX!

Maybe the competition with the Tigers will bring out the best in the 2012 Sox. That certainly was the case in 2005 when the Sox battled Cleveland down to the last week.

As for last night's outstanding walk off victory,

:winner

EdHerman12
08-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I think they should just be the Anaheim Angels.

I've never seen a team with so many name changes. Came into the league as the Los Angeles Angeles because they did play in LA's Wrigley Field,and Chavez Ravine ('61-'65) when they started....after the move to Anaheim renamed themselves the California Angeles as if they represented the whole darned state...then got it right rebranding as the Anaheim Angeles courtesy of Disney, but then opted to change their identity as the Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim explaining that
The inclusion of Los Angeles reflects the original expansion name and returns the Angels as Major League Baseball's American League representative in the Greater Los Angeles territory.

Uh...yeah..

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I've never seen a team with so many name changes. Came into the league as the Los Angeles Angeles even though they've always been in Anaheim....renamed themselves the California Angeles as if they represented the whole darned state...then got it right rebranding as the Anaheim Angeles courtesy of Disney, but then opted to change their identity as the Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim explaining that
The inclusion of Los Angeles reflects the original expansion name and returns the Angels as Major League Baseball's American League representative in the Greater Los Angeles territory.

Ok!

They were not always in Anaheim, they started out playing in old Wrigley Field in Los Angeles in 1961. They played there one year and moved to Dodger Stadium in 1962 but the Angels called it Chavez Ravine Stadium, not Dodger Stadium. They moved to Anaheim in 1966 when Anaheim Stadium was completed.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9d/Wrigley_Field_Los_Angeles_Opening_Day_LOW.jpg/255px-Wrigley_Field_Los_Angeles_Opening_Day_LOW.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wrigley_Field_Los_Angeles_Opening_Day_LOW.jpg )
Wrigley Field in Los Angeles. Many Hollywood movies shot there as well as Home Run Derby.

delben91
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
For what it's worth...

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1269298941/newbaseballpicture_normal.jpg Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna (https://twitter.com/MikeDiGiovanna)6m (https://twitter.com/MikeDiGiovanna/status/232537613892988928)

As expected, MLB hasa denied #Angels (https://twitter.com/search/%23Angels) protest of Friday night's loss to #White (https://twitter.com/search/%23White) Sox.