PDA

View Full Version : DeWayne Wise Re-Signs with Sox

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Sox sign Buerhle's favorite outfielder to a minor league contract.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-sox-resign-dewayne-wise-to-minor-league-deal-20120803,0,7160250.story

SephClone89
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
And here I thought you were talking about Ryan Howard.

slavko
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Plays a little IF too, doesn't he? There's your swingman.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Somewhere in Miami, a single tear rolls down the Marlins manager's eye.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Plays a little IF too, doesn't he? There's your swingman.

Doesn't he throw left-handed? It would indeed be impressive of he could play the infield.

Seems like he could push Jordan Danks for the 4th OF role. I think Danks has more upside, though.

Noneck
08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Insurance backup ofer for this season, it makes sense.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Morel's return from injury to Charlotte meant McPherson had no place to play, leading to his release. The Sox only have four OFs on the 40 man roster, and all four are with the big league team. So it made sense to sign Wise for organizational depth due to his previous MLB experience.

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Insurance backup ofer for this season, it makes sense.

I'm sure we will see him with the Sept. call-ups.

34rancher
08-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey didn't he throw an inning with a 0.00 WHIP against us? Sounds like a bullpen acquisition.

JB98
08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Morel's return from injury to Charlotte meant McPherson had no place to play, leading to his release. The Sox only have four OFs on the 40 man roster, and all four are with the big league team. So it made sense to sign Wise for organizational depth due to his previous MLB experience.

Precisely. We'll see D-Wise on the South Side in September. For now, he's an insurance policy. In a month when rosters expand, he can help the Sox as a pinch runner and a guy who can handle all three outfield spots.

slavko
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Doesn't he throw left-handed? It would indeed be impressive of he could play the infield.

I misremembered.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I misremembered.

It's all good :)

soltrain21
08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Terrible thread title.

#1swisher
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Welcome back, D-Wise!:gulp:

Lip Man 1
08-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Someone at WSI predicted this when he was waived.

No big deal, probably September call up. (As long as he isn't starting or leading off.)

Lip

soxinem1
08-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Hey didn't he throw an inning with a 0.00 WHIP against us? Sounds like a bullpen acquisition.

We are pretty good in the LH relief department.

SoxFanCPA
08-03-2012, 04:58 PM
We don't re-sign Lillibridge but we take a flier on this chump? Keep it.

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Terrible thread title.

Glad you liked it.

GlassSox
08-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Can't hurt. :cool:

soxinem1
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Coop will fix 'em.

JB98
08-03-2012, 05:37 PM

Why do you think Lillibridge is a better player than Wise? Check the career numbers. They are basically the same guy.

Regardless, Lillibridge was never a free agent. Boston designated him for assignment, then traded him to Cleveland. He was never released. The Sox could not have "re-signed" him if they wanted to. Wise, in contrast, was granted his outright release.

Not sure why some folks are so in love with Lillibridge. He's struggled every year of his career but one. He had his career year in 2011. It was nice, but it's over now.

SoxFanCPA
08-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Why do you think Lillibridge is a better player than Wise? Check the career numbers. They are basically the same guy.

Regardless, Lillibridge was never a free agent. Boston designated him for assignment, then traded him to Cleveland. He was never released. The Sox could not have "re-signed" him if they wanted to. Wise, in contrast, was granted his outright release.

Not sure why some folks are so in love with Lillibridge. He's struggled every year of his career but one. He had his career year in 2011. It was nice, but it's over now.

Maybe because he had an .845 OPS with semi-regular playing time last year.

SephClone89
08-03-2012, 05:57 PM

And because he played every position short of pitcher and catcher for the Sox (to varying degrees of success)

JB98
08-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Lillibridge has been in the big leagues for five years. He has 16 career home runs 13 of them in one season.

He had a career hot streak. It's over now.

JB98
08-03-2012, 06:07 PM
And because he played every position short of pitcher and catcher for the Sox (to varying degrees of success)

Wise is a better outfielder and a better baserunner than Lillibridge. Sure, Lillibridge is more versatile, but as I indicated, the Sox would have had to make a trade to get him back. Not worth it. There's at least one poster in this thread who mistakenly believes Lillibridge was out there for anybody to sign. Not so.

People just hate Wise because Ozzie miscast him as a leadoff hitter and an everyday player. Ventura isn't going to do that. Hell, Wise isn't even going to be on the roster until September -- if at all.

There's no reason to hate on Wise. It's not his fault the former manager is an idiot.

Mohoney
08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
There's no reason to hate on Wise. It's not his fault the former manager is an idiot.

It's the same as the people that rip on Rob Mackowiak because Guillen foolishly played him out of position in CF every day.

tick53
08-03-2012, 11:32 PM

You are right on both counts. I know that Lillibridge has signed with Cleveland but there are scads of other outfielders they could have gotten. When the Sox cut him earlier, he remarked that he was done doing favors for the White Sox. I'll be hot if they snd Danks down and bring this clown back!!

asindc
08-03-2012, 11:34 PM
You are right on both counts. I know that Lillibridge has signed with Cleveland but there are scads of other outfielders they could have gotten. When the Sox cut him earlier, he remarked that he was done doing favors for the White Sox. I'll be hot if they snd Danks down and bring this clown back!!

What favor dd he ever do for the Sox? Cash his paychecks timely?

Tragg
08-03-2012, 11:35 PM
For goodness sakes.

34 year old outfielder with a career .258 OBP is just what we need for September call ups. That would be a clown move. He's a horrible baseball player.
For a Charlotte filler - whatever.

doublem23
08-03-2012, 11:36 PM

The Sox didn't have an option to "resign" Lillibridge, he was traded from Boston to Cleveland. He was never a F/A.

Oh yeah, he also totally sucks and given the way Robin uses his bench, would probably have only gotten 10-15 at bats the rest of the season. Nothing significant either way. If everyone stays healthy, neither Wise or Lillibridge would ever sniff the field. If Wise or Lillibridge is pressed into everyday playing time, then we're screwed.

Foulke You
08-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Wise will have value in September as a pinch runner and late inning defense. Nothing wrong with organizational depth. I agree with doublem. If Wise is pushed into an active starting role, it means some very important players got hurt and we would be in trouble anyway.

Tragg
08-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Wise will have value in September as a pinch runner and late inning defense. Nothing wrong with organizational depth. I agree with doublem. If Wise is pushed into an active starting role, it means some very important players got hurt and we would be in trouble anyway.
Jordan Danks provides that service; plus, he's young and could improve and still develop into a major league regular esp. with experience.
Charlotte fodder, please.

JB98
08-04-2012, 01:02 AM
The Sox didn't have an option to "resign" Lillibridge, he was traded from Boston to Cleveland. He was never a F/A.

Oh yeah, he also totally sucks and given the way Robin uses his bench, would probably have only gotten 10-15 at bats the rest of the season. Nothing significant either way. If everyone stays healthy, neither Wise or Lillibridge would ever sniff the field. If Wise or Lillibridge is pressed into everyday playing time, then we're screwed.

No question about it. And for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be outraged about the Sox not making a play to reacquire Brent Lillibridge (.214/.279/.350 career). Nor can I understand why anyone would be outraged about Dewayne Wise (.222/.286/.381 career) playing outfield for AAA Charlotte.

These are just fringe players. Some people are still bitter toward Wise because he was overexposed by the former manager. Ventura has already proven he's not going to start bad bench players three times per week like Guillen did. Orlando Hudson has been picking splinters out of his ass for a month, as well he should. Wise will be sitting their next to him if he ever gets added to the MLB roster.

This is nothing to worry about, it's just a move to increase organizational depth.

JB98
08-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Jordan Danks provides that service; plus, he's young and could improve and still develop into a major league regular esp. with experience.
Charlotte fodder, please.

Jordan Danks is 26 years old. He played for Charlotte for three years. He's not going to be a MLB regular. He's not a prospect anymore. He's a fourth outfielder. He's in that role now, and that's right where he belongs. Wise is going to Charlotte. He's not going to take his spot.

Wise will probably be here as an extra body in September. We have multiple slow guys in the middle of the batting order, and there could be games where more than one pinch runner will be needed.

StillMissOzzie
08-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Might as well semi-hijack this thread to mention that Scotty Pods will probably be available again. He was DFA'd again (D-Backs?) and he declined the demotion to their AAA, so he was supposed to be released outright.

Go get him, Kenny!

SMO
:tongue::gulp:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Might as well semi-hijack this thread to mention that Scotty Pods will probably be available again. He was DFA'd again (D-Backs?) and he declined the demotion to their AAA, so he was supposed to be released outright.

Go get him, Kenny!

SMO

Kenny always gets his man, but getting his man three times is pushing it.

34rancher
08-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Kenny always gets his man, but getting his man three times is pushing it.

Is crazy carl or sandy alomar available?

kittle42
08-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Some of the posts in this thread are embarrassing. Come on, people, I know you've been watching baseball for many years - are the concepts of organizational depth, 4th OF ceilings, and extra pinch runners and defensive replacements after September 1 foreign to us all?

russ99
08-04-2012, 07:48 AM
No question about it. And for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be outraged about the Sox not making a play to reacquire Brent Lillibridge (.214/.279/.350 career). Nor can I understand why anyone would be outraged about Dewayne Wise (.222/.286/.381 career) playing outfield for AAA Charlotte.

These are just fringe players. Some people are still bitter toward Wise because he was overexposed by the former manager. Ventura has already proven he's not going to start bad bench players three times per week like Guillen did. Orlando Hudson has been picking splinters out of his ass for a month, as well he should. Wise will be sitting their next to him if he ever gets added to the MLB roster.

This is nothing to worry about, it's just a move to increase organizational depth.

Well put.

IMO, the Wise backlash is the same as it was before. He was started on Opening Day over a certain other centerfielder who couldn't hit - who's value to the team was just as overinflated by a sector of the fanbase as Lillibridge.

Also, Wise had a total of 271 at-bats with the Sox over 2 seasons. It's not like this guy was a regular.

Hope he can contribute in September.

kittle42
08-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Thank you, JB and russ. Brent Lillibridge stinks. DeWayne Wise stinks. Neither really deserves any more attention than Ray Olmedo. End of discussion.

SCCWS
08-04-2012, 08:05 AM
It is always good to have a few veterans at AAA. Scottie Pods is a good example. He was playing AAA for Boston and got called up when they had 3 outfielders go down. He got 62 ABS w Boston before he got hurt. He hit .387. He just got traded to AZ at the trade deadline.

08-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Go get him, Kenny!

SMO

Pods was actually killing the ball for the Red Sox for the 50 or so AB's that he got before getting hurt and then demoted.

Tragg
08-04-2012, 09:26 AM
IMO, the Wise backlash is the same as it was before. He was started on Opening Day over a certain other centerfielder who couldn't hit - who's value to the team was just as overinflated by a sector of the fanbase as Lillibridge.

When you say the other OF couldn't hit (which is true), the implication (shared at the time by Sox management) is that Wise COULD hit. That's where the backlash came in.
Pinch runner is hardly a big need for this team. And if it is, it could easily be accomplished in September with a call-up.
The Sox need someone who can hit off of the bench. And the fear now is that the organizational belief that Wise can hit was not completely vanquished to south beach.
I also guess this means that the Sox don't think Conor Jackson can play anymore - he's been toiling down there all year.
I also see they signed Tommy Manzella. He's an excellent defensive infielder but he can't hit at all (saw him in college a lot; thought he'd hit, but, alas, no).

SoxFanCPA
08-04-2012, 09:46 AM
So glad to see my comments get blown way out of proportion. Fine, Lillibridge wasn't a FA. My point was that Lillibridge sucks less than Wise, so why go after Wise if we didn't go after Lillibridge. I'm just a Wise hater though.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Wise isn't coming up before Sept. 1, and if he does, it's due to injury.

He wasn't signed to be a pinch hitter.

Dan Johnson also likely will be called up on Sept. 1. Unless another hitter is signed before then, he likely will be first off the bench to pinch hit.

Better hitters generally are not available free agents right now.

I don't understand why this is such a controversial move, especially since the manager with the man-crush on mediocre left-handed veterans quit to take his talents to South Beach.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2012, 10:36 AM
So glad to see my comments get blown way out of proportion. Fine, Lillibridge wasn't a FA. My point was that Lillibridge sucks less than Wise, so why go after Wise if we didn't go after Lillibridge. I'm just a Wise hater though.

Except Lillibridge wasn't available as a free agent. The Red Sox traded him to to Cleveland.

PalehosePlanet
08-04-2012, 10:41 AM
For all the ripping on DeWayne in this thread, would he not make a better bench player/pinch hitter than Orlando Hudson?

doublem23
08-04-2012, 10:49 AM

:scratch:

Aw, come on, man, nothing was "blown way out of proportion." First you posted a fact that was wrong (Lillibridge was never an FA so the Sox couldn't have "just gone out and signed him,") and second, you posted your opinion that Lillibridge is a significantly better player than Wise, which other people have merely disagreed with. Here's their career numbers, averaged out over every 162 games played:

Player A - .222/.258/.381, 40 R, 11 2B, 5 3B, 8 HR, 29 RBI, 14/17 SB, 11 BB, 62 K
Player B - .214/.279/.350, 47 R, 10 2B, 2 3B, 9 HR, 31 RBI, 17/25 SB, 22 BB, 98 K

Marginal difference for a pair of guys who probably wouldn't see more than 10 at bats the entire rest of the season if they were sitting on the Sox's bench.

DSpivack
08-04-2012, 10:53 AM
For all the ripping on DeWayne in this thread, would he not make a better bench player/pinch hitter than Orlando Hudson?

Maybe, but we have a 4th OF in Jordan Danks. I'd rather have him than Wise. Wise can't play the IF. Would an upgrade over Hudson be nice? Sure.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Maybe, but Wise cannot play the infield because he throws left-handed. I'm no fan of Hudson on the roster, but he is not occupying a spot that Wise could fill.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't understand all the gnashing of teeth over a guy who isn't even on the 25-man roster!

hawkjt
08-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Maybe, but we have a 4th OF in Jordan Danks. I'd rather have him than Wise. Wise can't play the IF. Would an upgrade over Hudson be nice? Sure.

Danks has been fine,but DWise has had a better year. He has an OPS of .788 in double the amount of at bats as Jordan. He has 8 RBIS to 1 RBI,3 homers,3 doubles, 1 triple,to one double and 1 rbi for Jordan.

DWise would be our best lefty pinch hitter off the bench immediately.
He will be very helpful in Sept.

A. Cavatica
08-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Maybe some of that Yankee class rubbed off on him.

doublem23
08-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't understand all the gnashing of teeth over a guy who isn't even on the 25-man roster!

He signed a minor league deal, he's not even on the 40-man roster.

Tragg
08-04-2012, 11:27 AM
It's still amazing - people actually think Wise can hit.

.257 CAREER OBP. And he's 34.

Wise for a pinch hitter?

Good lord.

I don't understand why this is such a controversial move, especially since the manager with the man-crush on mediocre left-handed veterans quit to take his talents to South Beach.

That the Sox resigned him, of all the available players (including the bevy of AAAA players in their organization), of the glaring need for a bench bat, suggests that Guillen was't the only one who thought highly of his skills.
If I knew that he's stay in AAA, there would be no issue.
FWIW, his defensive skills are also over-stated because of the MB catch. He's okay out there, not great.

SoxFanCPA
08-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Except Lillibridge wasn't available as a free agent. The Red Sox traded him to to Cleveland.

I realize he wasn't a free agent. He was DFA and Cleveland gave Boston a bag of balls. Big deal.

:scratch:

Aw, come on, man, nothing was "blown way out of proportion." First you posted a fact that was wrong (Lillibridge was never an FA so the Sox couldn't have "just gone out and signed him,") and second, you posted your opinion that Lillibridge is a significantly better player than Wise, which other people have merely disagreed with. Here's their career numbers, averaged out over every 162 games played:

Player A - .222/.258/.381, 40 R, 11 2B, 5 3B, 8 HR, 29 RBI, 14/17 SB, 11 BB, 62 K
Player B - .214/.279/.350, 47 R, 10 2B, 2 3B, 9 HR, 31 RBI, 17/25 SB, 22 BB, 98 K

Marginal difference for a pair of guys who probably wouldn't see more than 10 at bats the entire rest of the season if they were sitting on the Sox's bench.

All I'm going off of is Lillibridge's season last year where he played better than almost everyone on the team. I don't need career numbers of 2 guys who have played sparing to tell me who is a better player. My point was simply why go after Wise when there were way better options available with Liilibridge just being an example of one of those options.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I realize he wasn't a free agent. He was DFA and Cleveland gave Boston a bag of balls. Big deal.

All I'm going off of is Lillibridge's season last year where he played better than almost everyone on the team. I don't need career numbers of 2 guys who have played sparing to tell me who is a better player. My point was simply why go after Wise when there were way better options available with Liilibridge just being an example of one of those options.

Enlighten me. Who is available right now that the Sox can pick up (not trade for, sign) that is "way better" than Wise?

SoxFanCPA
08-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Enlighten me. Who is available right now that the Sox can pick up (not trade for, sign) that is "way better" than Wise?

I have no clue who current free agents are but, available does not equal free agent. Wise sucks.

hawkjt
08-04-2012, 12:17 PM
It's still amazing - people actually think Wise can hit.

.257 CAREER OBP. And he's 34.

Wise for a pinch hitter?

Good lord.

That the Sox resigned him, of all the available players (including the bevy of AAAA players in their organization), of the glaring need for a bench bat, suggests that Guillen was't the only one who thought highly of his skills.
If I knew that he's stay in AAA, there would be no issue.
FWIW, his defensive skills are also over-stated because of the MB catch. He's okay out there, not great.

Sox bench has a .173 Hudson, a .198 Flowers, formerly had a .212 Escobar,and a .314 Danks(.648 OPS), and you are suggesting that they would be better than a DWise at .262 (.788 OPS)?

Read the numbers....DWise is a big upgrade over our current bench.

doublem23
08-04-2012, 12:21 PM

The flip to that is that Lillibridge's season last year just could have been a fluke. Take away his decent 2011 season and his career totals are ABSYMAL. Wise isn't good, but at least he's been moderately consistent.

And, again, let's be real, Robin never played Lillibridge when he was here. If he needs to be in a platoon situation to have success, then the Sox aren't his destination. Who does he platoon with?

And finally, you can go after Wise because he's an F/A, he signed a minor league deal. To pursue Lillibridge, you'd have to remove someone from the 40-man roster, he's got a Major League contract. Why add to the headache of acquiring a ****ty player who will never see the field?

JB98
08-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Lillibridge had a career year last season. It was nice. I'm glad it happened while he was wearing a White Sox uniform, but it's over now. He's back to being the lousy player he was pre-2011.

Lillibridge has made exactly 100 plate appearances this season. He has one extra-base hit. One. Wise's numbers aside, Lillibridge isn't worth the "bag of balls" Boston got from Cleveland.

I don't know who these "way better options" are, but I'm sure KW is looking for his next move to improve the team. He always is. Somehow, I doubt that next move involves Brent Lillibridge in any way, shape or fashion.

tick53
08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
What favor dd he ever do for the Sox? Cash his paychecks timely?

LOL!!! That is what he said :D:

SoxFanCPA
08-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Lillibridge had a career year last season. It was nice. I'm glad it happened while he was wearing a White Sox uniform, but it's over now. He's back to being the lousy player he was pre-2011.

Lillibridge has made exactly 100 plate appearances this season. He has one extra-base hit. One. Wise's numbers aside, Lillibridge isn't worth the "bag of balls" Boston got from Cleveland.

I don't know who these "way better options" are, but I'm sure KW is looking for his next move to improve the team. He always is. Somehow, I doubt that next move involves Brent Lillibridge in any way, shape or fashion.

OMG Lillibridge was just an example of one bad player being better than another bad player. Just forget him. This is a Wise thread and he isn't worth the jersey on his back. That's all I'm saying. :dunno:

tick53
08-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Maybe, but Wise cannot play the infield because he throws left-handed. I'm no fan of Hudson on the roster, but he is not occupying a spot that Wise could fill.

We don't need either one of these jags taking up a roster spot. There are much better players out there than Hudson or Wise. I don't want to go to war with either of these clowns on the bench. Let Danks stay, he's earned it and he needs the at bats.

fram40
08-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Someone at WSI predicted this when he was waived.

No big deal, probably September call up. (As long as he isn't starting or leading off.)

Lip

I am looking forward to DWise starting and leading off in Cleveland on Monday, Oct 01 as Robin rests all his regulars with champagne hangovers from the celebration for clinching the division.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2012, 12:50 PM
We don't need either one of these jags taking up a roster spot. There are much better players out there than Hudson or Wise. I don't want to go to war with either of these clowns on the bench. Let Danks stay, he's earned it and he needs the at bats.

Wise isn't even on the roster. Danks remains on the roster. So unless and until that changes, the wailing and pants-pissing among many is completely unwarranted.

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2012, 12:52 PM
I have no clue who current free agents are but, available does not equal free agent. Wise sucks.

And he's not even on the 40 man roster right now. He's in Charlotte on a minor league contract. Unless and until that changes, why is this even a big deal?

JB98
08-04-2012, 01:05 PM
OMG Lillibridge was just an example of one bad player being better than another bad player. Just forget him. This is a Wise thread and he isn't worth the jersey on his back. That's all I'm saying. :dunno:

You're the one who brought up Lillibridge. Post No. 17 of the thread. We had no mention of Lillibridge the first 16 posts.

SCCWS
08-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Actually, Kenny's plan is to now trade Wise to Cleveland for Lilli. He failed on a 3 way deal with the Yankees to obtain Lilli, so he will try another approach. Once he gets Lilli, he will in turn be traded to the Yankees for Mark Teahan. Teahan will in turn be dealt to San Diego for Mark Kotsay and the Sox will then have a 4th outfielder w some punch.

When asked how those moves affect the 40 man roster, Kenny Williams said "he is not done yet."

Rohan
08-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Actually, Kenny's plan is to now trade Wise to Cleveland for Lilli. He failed on a 3 way deal with the Yankees to obtain Lilli, so he will try another approach. Once he gets Lilli, he will in turn be traded to the Yankees for Mark Teahan. Teahan will in turn be dealt to San Diego for Mark Kotsay and the Sox will then have a 4th outfielder w some punch.

When asked how those moves affect the 40 man roster, Kenny Williams said "he is not done yet."

Say what you want about that trade sequence, but any deal involving just those four players where we come out with Kotsay is a good one.

SoxFanCPA
08-04-2012, 02:24 PM
You're the one who brought up Lillibridge. Post No. 17 of the thread. We had no mention of Lillibridge the first 16 posts.

Again, I brought him up as an example. Not that I wanted him back, but as an example of a player better than Wise. It's like I'm talking to a brick wall.