PDA

View Full Version : Dempster Thanks Fans

#1swisher
08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
WSCR AM

Dempster Takes Out Full Page Ad To Thank Fans

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/03/dempster-takes-out-full-page-ad-to-thank-fans/

hawkjt
08-03-2012, 01:17 PM
He should thank the Cubs and their fans for making him rich beyond belief....and the NL..which allowed him to be so well-paid. If he had been in the AL the last 5 years...not so rich.

kittle42
08-03-2012, 01:41 PM
He should thank the Cubs and their fans for making him rich beyond belief....and the NL..which allowed him to be so well-paid. If he had been in the AL the last 5 years...not so rich.

You know, the man still has to go out and pitch well, which he mostly has the last 4-5 years.

ZombieRob
08-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Hard not to give him credit. He signed as a reclamation project for the Cubs, started as a reliever and than reinvented himself as a reliable starter. I actually think he should have more legacy as a Cub than Wood

Frontman
08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
As I always say, I give kudos to athletes who do this. They don't have to, but its a great gesture nonetheless.

soxinem1
08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Hard not to give him credit. He signed as a reclamation project for the Cubs, started as a reliever and than reinvented himself as a reliable starter. I actually think he should have more legacy as a Cub than Wood

Definitely better than Prior and Maddux redux as well.

Wedema
08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Where is his full page ad in the Sun Times?

DrCrawdad
08-04-2012, 02:05 AM
WSCR AM

Dempster Takes Out Full Page Ad To Thank Fans

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/03/dempster-takes-out-full-page-ad-to-thank-fans/

Who cares.

SephClone89
08-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Who cares.

You cared enough to comment on it.

DrCrawdad
08-05-2012, 07:06 AM
You cared enough to comment on it.

It's funny. I posted the "who cares" comment here because this is exactly the kind of discussion thread that when I've posted them here in the past one of the "What's The Score" Cubbie Patrol Guards have posted "who cares" in response to. So I wanted to be post that comment this time. And the funny thing is, I agree with your response.

I was just having fun with the "who cares." But I didn't like Ryan Dumpster when he was with the Cubbies. Don't care for him now. Apparently a lot of Cubbie fans have joined me in not liking Dumpster too.

Hartman
08-05-2012, 06:56 PM
It comes off a little pretentious to me...you are Ryan Dempster, not Randy Johnson; you are having a good year but have otherwise been pretty average. His shenanigans with the Cubs at the end also shows he might be a little full of himself.

SephClone89
08-05-2012, 09:22 PM
It comes off a little pretentious to me...you are Ryan Dempster, not Randy Johnson; you are having a good year but have otherwise been pretty average. His shenanigans with the Cubs at the end also shows he might be a little full of himself.

A lot of players (of various stature) do things like this now when they leave a place they've been for years. It's not pretentious

Bob Roarman
08-05-2012, 10:41 PM
A lot of players (of various stature) do things like this now when they leave a place they've been for years. It's not pretentious

It's not anything but a right that he's earned and is allowed to use. It's stupid to judge him for using it.

kittle42
08-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I posted the "who cares" comment here because this is exactly the kind of discussion thread that when I've posted them here in the past one of the "What's The Score" Cubbie Patrol Guards have posted "who cares" in response to.

No, it's not, which really shows that you don't quite get what it is the "Patrol Guards" are getting at in relation to the Cubsessed.

DrCrawdad
08-06-2012, 11:26 AM
No, it's not, which really shows that you don't quite get what it is the "Patrol Guards" are getting at in relation to the Cubsessed.

kittle42, speaking as the lead Cubbie Patrol Guard...

eriqjaffe
08-06-2012, 12:01 PM
you are having a good year but have otherwise been pretty average.And ERA+ of 115 over the past 4 1/2 years would imply that he's been pretty well above average.

FWIW, Mark Buehrle's ERA+ over that same span is also 115, and I doubt many people here would refer to Buehrle as being "pretty average."

doublem23
08-06-2012, 12:04 PM
kittle42, speaking as the lead Cubbie Patrol Guard...

Knock it off

spawn
08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Still just don't get the Dempster hatred around here. From most accounts, he seemed like a good teammate and a good person overall. And he did what he needed to do for the Cubs. He pitched well. I give him kudos for his ad thanking Cubs fans.

kittle42
08-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Still just don't get the Dempster hatred around here.

He wore the Cubbie pajamas for several seasons, so some people dislike him instinctively. Whatever.

DrCrawdad
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
He wore the Cubbie pajamas for several seasons, so some people dislike him instinctively. Whatever.

Still just don't get the Dempster hatred around here. From most accounts, he seemed like a good teammate and a good person overall. And he did what he needed to do for the Cubs. He pitched well. I give him kudos for his ad thanking Cubs fans.

For my part, I do not have a "knee jerk" hate or dislike towards Cubs players. Their have been several in the past I've liked and there are players on the current Cubs team that I hope do well. Hate or dislike Cub players in general? No.

As regards Dumpster, I mean Dempster, IIRC he had some smug, condescending crap to say about the Sox 2005 World Championship. However I have to admit that I can't recall the specifics so maybe I'm wrong with that.

Dempster can do well with the Rangers, I don't really care much in rooting against him nor rooting for him so long as it doesn't affect the Sox.