PDA

View Full Version : Sox purchase Sienko from Joliet Jackhammers

FarmerAndy
07-26-2002, 05:33 PM
I might be a little late on this one. Sorry if somebody already posted this.

I've seen him play in Joliet and he's pretty impressive. I have no clue if he could be good at the major league level. But then again, do we have any other catching prospects that will?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Media Contacts: Bryan Dolgin

July 18, 2002 bdolgin@jackhammerbaseball.com

FROM JACKHAMMERS TO WHITE SOX

JOLIET’S SIENKO FIRST TO BE SIGNED

JOLIET, IL – The Chicago White Sox purchased the contract of Joliet JackHammers catcher Ryan Sienko. He is the first JackHammers player ever to have his playing rights purchased by a Major League organization. The JackHammers are an independent professional baseball team that plays in the Northern League. The White Sox will assign Sienko to their Single-A Advanced affiliate, the Winston-Salem (NC) Warthogs, in the Carolina League. He will report this weekend.

Through 47 games including last night’s win, Sienko is batting .329 (53-for-161) with 14 doubles, 18 home runs, 38 RBI, 44 runs scored, .453 on-base percentage and .752 slugging percentage in 47 games played. He leads the JackHammers in all of those categories. In the 10-team Northern League Central, Sienko ranks 1st in home runs, 1st in extra base hits, 1st in slugging percentage, 2nd in on-base percentage, 3rd in runs scored, tied for 4th in RBI and 10th in batting average.

Sienko leads the JackHammers in multiple hit (16), run (11) and RBI (10) games. Sienko has accounted for half the team’s home runs. He hit two home runs in a game three times (June 29, July 1 & 4). His most memorable home run was a game winning walk-off grand slam on July 1 versus St. Paul that gave the JackHammers a 7-to-5 win.

Sienko compiled a number of accolades during his 47 games with the JackHammers. He was named the Rawlings Northern League Central Player for the Month in June for batting .352 (31-for-88) with 9 home runs, 10 doubles, 20 RBI and 24 runs scored through 26 games. He was named the Daktronics Northern League Central Player of the Week in back-to-back weeks including June 24-30 when he batted .464 (13-for-28) with 3 doubles, 5 home runs, 9 runs scored and 10 RBI in 7 games. The next week, July 1-7, was the second honorable week and that included a .433 batting average (13-for-30) with 3 doubles, 5 home runs, 10 runs scored and 11 RBI.

In the Northern League Central record books, he tied the record for most doubles in a game with three on June 2 at Winnipeg. He also established a new record of 25 times getting hit by a pitch.

Sienko stands 6’4” and weighs 235 pounds. He bats and throws right-handed. With the JackHammers, Sienko predominantly was a catcher. He also played first base, left field, right field and designated hitter. Originally, he is from Elgin, IL where he graduated from Larkin High School. Sienko played college baseball at the University of Iowa. The 2002 season is his 6th in pro baseball. He is 26 years old.

“I think it’s a great opportunity, and I could not have asked for a better organization considering the situation I have in front of me and the fact I grew up a White Sox fan,” said Sienko.

The JackHammers are home tonight versus the Duluth-Superior Dukes. The gates open at 6 PM, and game time is at 7:05 PM. Sienko will be honored before the game on the field, and he will address the fans at that time. Sienko will also be available for autographs in the main concourse following the on-field event. Sienko will be available to the media on the field prior to the pre-game festivities. The JackHammers are a half-game out of first place with a 3-and-3 record and are 25-and-26 on the season. For tickets, call 815-726-BALL (2255), order on-line at www.jackhammerbaseball.com or stop at the Silver Cross Field ticket office.

###

Bryan Dolgin

Director of Broadcasting, Media & Public Relations

"The Voice of the JackHammers"

Joliet JackHammers Professional Baseball Club

bdolgin@jackhammerbaseball.com

www.jackhammerbaseball.com

office: 815-774-2875

fax: 815-726-9223

Daver
07-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Please post the link,not the entire story.

Thank you.