PDA

View Full Version : Another KW Mistake

RKMeibalane
07-26-2002, 05:26 PM
When Durham was traded last night, I had hoped that this move would signal the arrival of Joe Crede. I was wrong. Instead, Willie Harris was promoted.

Now, I have nothing against Harris. I think he will eventually become an important part of future White Sox teams. But Crede deserves to be with the ballclub. I thought that with Durham gone, Valentin would be moved to second, and that would clear third base for Crede. I think this move would have at least made some sense. Harris plays second base, so I can see why he was brought up, but I don't think it's right to continue pushing Harris at Crede's expense.

Chances are, Crede won't play much when he is finally promoted on September 1. He'll just sit on the bench while "The Choice" stinks up Comiskey Park.

As someone pointed out the other day, KW created this huge mess when he traded for Royce Clayton before the 2001 season. Looking back, I had a bad feeling about that trade. At the time, I thought I was just worrying too much. Now, I see that my worries were justified. If Clayton were not with the Sox, Valentin would still be at shortstop, and Crede would be playing third.

Manos isn't a good defensive player, and that is the reason Clayton was accquired, but I think it's safe to say he's no better over at third. Crede, on the other hand, has the potential to be an excellent third baseman on the defensive side of the ball. If all goes well, he will be a better defensive player at third than The Choice is at short.

Valentin reached his peak in 2000 because he was finally given the chance to play every day. Now, he's being shuffled in and out of the lineup. When he is the lineup, he's playing third, short, or in some cases, center field (April 2001). His offensive numbers have declined, thanks in no small part to Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel and his special "Right-handed Murderers Row" lineup.

Ken Williams should be fired. His incompetence is the source of the majority of the problems the Sox are facing as of this moment. Of course, JR probably won't fire Williams until attendance improves. The horrible irony of the situation is that attendance won't improve until things turn around, and that won't happen with Williams in charge.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2002, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Valentin is moved next.

Use this for your sig!

:selljerry

LongDistanceFan
07-26-2002, 05:38 PM
the mistake was when kw was given the gm job.

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2002, 03:43 AM
I don't disagree that Crede should be brought up, but I sure don't want to see Valentin at second. Defensively, about the only thing Valentin brings to the table is his arm, and you don't need a good arm at second.

Valentin had a career year in 2000, and it wasn't because of playing every day. He is now back at his career hitting stats, and his defense is way too bad to justify a .249 career average. As others have noted, Valentin hit in front of a red-hot Frank in 2000, meaning he saw nothing but juicy fastballs, as they did not want to put him on base with Frank coming up.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2002, 04:22 PM
:jerry

"I think I will try Jose Valentin at second base. While I'm at it, maybe Royce Clayton should hit cleanup for a few games. He has excellent RBI potential."

BuehrleACE56
07-28-2002, 02:34 AM
crede deserves a shot to play as much as the next guy. but do u really want jose at 2nd base? we moved ray and now we get better defense at 2nd with harris and give a future starter a chance to play. with jose probably being moved, crede will get his chance. jose and kenny out of todays lineup. i hear the kenny to giants deal is almost for sure.

Soxheads
07-28-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I don't disagree that Crede should be brought up, but I sure don't want to see Valentin at second. Defensively, about the only thing Valentin brings to the table is his arm, and you don't need a good arm at second.

Valentin had a career year in 2000, and it wasn't because of playing every day. He is now back at his career hitting stats, and his defense is way too bad to justify a .249 career average. As others have noted, Valentin hit in front of a red-hot Frank in 2000, meaning he saw nothing but juicy fastballs, as they did not want to put him on base with Frank coming up.

I don't want to see Jose at 2nd either. The only position he should ever play is short.

Tragg
07-28-2002, 09:58 AM
We need to play as many Harris', Credes and Jiminez' as possible right now. They will take time. Nothing wrong with an early start.

Valentin and clayton - time to step aside.

LongDistanceFan
07-28-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
We need to play as many Harris', Credes and Jiminez' as possible right now. They will take time. Nothing wrong with an early start.

Valentin and clayton - time to step aside.

release clayton or waive his arse, move jose to ss and bring up crede. move harris to cf, if and when when trade lofton, and bring up hummel.