PDA

View Full Version : God, the Astros suck

vinny
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
3-24 in July, with a run differential of -73 for the month.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/awful-astros-houston-july-fifth-worst-month-baseball-185520508--mlb.html;_ylt=AlxvsMx01fF_HdkQ8APxkXXsYcp_;_ylu=X3 oDMTE5NnA5YnZhBG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMzUEc2Vj A01lZGlhQmxvZ0luZGV4;_ylg=X3oDMTFpMm9iMzh1BGludGwD dXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3 NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3)

Bruizer
08-02-2012, 10:06 AM
And we gave up 20 runs to them in three games, two of them losses, in June. :o:

Hitmen77
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Next year, they get to play powerhouses Texas and LA Angels 18 times each.

And we gave up 20 runs to them in three games, two of them losses, in June. :o:

No kidding. :mad:

Tragg
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
We lost 2/3 at home to the Astros and Cubs.

The Astros have basically one major league starter quality player in the lineup and only 1 real major leaguer in the rotation (arguably 2) and a couple of middle relievers. That's all they have.
I would say they overdid the sell-off, but it's not like they traded any position player who was particularly good (last year they did - they traded Pence and Bourne).

thomas35forever
08-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Well, if you're going to leave the NL, you might as well sneak out the back door.

russ99
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/awful-astros-houston-july-fifth-worst-month-baseball-185520508--mlb.html;_ylt=AlxvsMx01fF_HdkQ8APxkXXsYcp_;_ylu=X3 oDMTE5NnA5YnZhBG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMzUEc2Vj A01lZGlhQmxvZ0luZGV4;_ylg=X3oDMTFpMm9iMzh1BGludGwD dXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3 NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3)

They traded everyone decent for non-MLB ready prospects, and the roster has little quality other than hitters Altuve, Lowrie and J.D. Martinez and pitchers Norris and Lyles, and maybe Wilton Lopez in the pen and they've been thrown to the dogs. And Lowrie may yet get traded.

Plus, they've had injury issues and the bullpen has been a disaster all year. They were 13-15 in May.

Surprised that Brad Mills hasn't been axed yet, especially after the 13 game losing streak. I would have were I the GM. But the rumor is that Luhnow doesn't want to put a placeholder manager in for 2 months and then have to consider them as a candidate after the season. He's got some definitive people in mind.

As an Astros fan, I understand and support what Luhnow is doing, but there has to be something at the big league level, losing 120-130 games is unacceptable.

Next year is a whole different story. Some of the top prospects will be ready to make the leap and since the payroll is at rock bottom Pirates level, they could add a few inexpensive veterans where kids aren't ready to step in or the guys on the roster this year prove they're not good enough. Still rebuilding, but not at a record-setting losses level.

DSpivack
08-02-2012, 05:47 PM
They traded everyone decent for non-MLB ready prospects, and the roster has little quality other than hitters Altuve, Lowrie and J.D. Martinez and pitchers Norris and Lyles, and maybe Wilton Lopez in the pen and they've been thrown to the dogs. And Lowrie may yet get traded.

Plus, they've had injury issues and the bullpen has been a disaster all year. They were 13-15 in May.

Surprised that Brad Mills hasn't been axed yet, especially after the 13 game losing streak. I would have were I the GM. But the rumor is that Luhnow doesn't want to put a placeholder manager in for 2 months and then have to consider them as a candidate after the season. He's got some definitive people in mind.

As an Astros fan, I understand and support what Luhnow is doing, but there has to be something at the big league level, losing 120-130 games is unacceptable.

Next year is a whole different story. Some of the top prospects will be ready to make the leap and since the payroll is at rock bottom Pirates level, they could add a few inexpensive veterans where kids aren't ready to step in or the guys on the roster this year prove they're not good enough. Still rebuilding, but not at a record-setting losses level.

Probably my favorite game, computer or console, is Out of the Park Baseball. I wanted a challenge, so I started a game as the Astros the other day. Spent all of 2012 trading prospects for veterans, scouting potential draft picks, and the like. Signed some cheap veterans in the offseason, was off to a decent (just under .500) start in 2013, scouted and drafted again, go to the All-Star Game... and the game crashed, I re-loaded it, but the files were corrupted so I could only go back to before the season.

Even trying to fix the Astros on a video game, they failed!

chisoxjtrain
08-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow, they look like high schoolers.

http://deadspin.com/5932452/the-nationals-bunted-in-the-winning-run-from-first-because-the-astros-played-defense-like-morons

voodoochile
08-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Wow, this looks like high schoolers.

http://deadspin.com/5932452/the-nationals-bunted-in-the-winning-run-from-first-because-the-astros-played-defense-like-morons

That's one of the funniest things I've seen in forever. Love the 3B charging and then doing a superman impression to really get the ball rolling.

chisoxjtrain
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
That's one of the funniest things I've seen in forever. Love the 3B charging and then doing a superman impression to really get the ball rolling.

I didn't expect the third baseman to do a superman impression. I started laughing when the pitcher and first baseman collided.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-07-2012, 05:23 PM
We lost 2/3 at home to the Astros and Cubs.

The Astros have basically one major league starter quality player in the lineup and only 1 real major leaguer in the rotation (arguably 2) and a couple of middle relievers. That's all they have.
I would say they overdid the sell-off, but it's not like they traded any position player who was particularly good (last year they did - they traded Pence and Bourne).

I'd say they have three: Wallace, Altuve and Jowrie(currently on the DL). Still sad all the same.

Tragg
08-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I'd say they have three: Wallace, Altuve and Jowrie(currently on the DL). Still sad all the same.

Altuve certainly is; Lowrie is if he can stay off the DL (I didn't count him). Wallace is a 1B with no power.,.,,not ML quality, imo.

russ99
08-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I'd say they have three: Wallace, Altuve and Lowrie(currently on the DL). Still sad all the same.

Wallace has been a bit of a flop at the big league level. The rest of the season is make or break for him, or he'll be swapped for prospects like Chris Johnson.

As far as 1B goes, Jonathan Singleton will be there before too long, maybe even as early as opening day next year. He was the centerpiece of the Hunter Pence deal to Philly.

The third big leaguer in the lineup for the Astros is J.D. Martinez, but his numbers are way down in the second half. He is coming off a shoulder injury, so hopefully his first three months are more the norm for him at the plate.

That video is exhibit 10,000 that Mills should be fired, and should have been a while ago.

thomas35forever
08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Wow, how did I miss this during the TV highlights?

34rancher
08-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Maybe Carlos lee was the glue there. They have gone from terrible to god awful since they traded him.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Altuve certainly is; Lowrie is if he can stay off the DL (I didn't count him). Wallace is a 1B with no power.,.,,not ML quality, imo.

He's been pretty hot since coming back up this year(.937 OPS, and 4 HRs), and he's only 25(and under control until '17). I don't think he'll ever be a power hitter, but he should be able to hit 15-20. I see him as a Lyle Overbay type hitter. Not a lot of power, but lots of doubles and a solid OBP. He won't be a superstar, but it's a major league hitter.

The third big leaguer in the lineup for the Astros is J.D. Martinez

I totally forgot about him(despite seeing him play when the astros were playing the Brewers last week). He's got real talent.

Johnny Mostil
08-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Now on a 4-32 run . . .

As near as I can tell, only four teams have had worse records over a 36-game stretch: the 1890 Pirates (2-34), the 1897 Cardinals (3-33), the 1909 Doves (later Braves, 3-33), and the 1916 Athletics (2-34).

The worst the Sox have ever done over 36 games was 8-28 in 1932.

Of course, it's tough to beat catches like this (http://deadspin.com/5932798/roger-bernadina-pulls-off-the-seasons-most-dramatic-game+ending-catch).

tstrike2000
08-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Wow, one of the worst plays I've ever seen. A collision, belly flop, and two wild throws. Crazy stuff.

russ99
08-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Maybe Carlos lee was the glue there. They have gone from terrible to god awful since they traded him.

Not so much Lee, but rather the pitchers they traded. When you force every young pitcher to take a role higher than they can handle, it happens.

Also, they got hit hard with injuries with all of Lowrie, Altuve and Martinez on the DL. That's 3 of the first 4 hitters in the lineup, plus the traded Lee.

Rebuilding, bad records are to be expected. At least the games have been competitive this week.

ohiosoxfan
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Was watching the game last night since it was extra innings. . Astros now are 0-11 in extra inning games and HAVE NOT SCORED in extra innings all year. Amazing.

russ99
08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Was watching the game last night since it was extra innings. . Astros now are 0-11 in extra inning games and HAVE NOT SCORED in extra innings all year. Amazing.

Astros had their first walk off win of the year last night on a hit by Bogusevic.

Also, J.D. Martinez was sent down to AAA to help him get out of his slump. Since he skipped AAA when brought up this year, this should help. He'll be back.

They brought up Fernando Martinez to get one more look and also brought up Brandon Barnes, who could figure in the OF picture next season.