PDA

View Full Version : Indians DFA Derek Lowe

tstrike2000
08-02-2012, 08:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8224771/cleveland-indians-designate-derek-lowe-assignment

He started out very well, but like last year, the Indians pitching has fallen off like their team.

jdm2662
08-02-2012, 08:32 AM
In late May, I went to a Sox-Indians game. Lowe and Peavy were pitching, and at the time, they were one and two in ERA. Of course, the final score was 14-7... I don't think Lowe lasted three innings. Peavy gave up seven himself, but still got the win.

bunkaroo
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
In late May, I went to a Sox-Indians game. Lowe and Peavy were pitching, and at the time, they were one and two in ERA. Of course, the final score was 14-7... I don't think Lowe lasted three innings. Peavy gave up seven himself, but still got the win.

I was at that game too. Fun game but I had to laugh at Peavy getting the win with that performance.

jdm2662
08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
I was at that game too. Fun game but I had to laugh at Peavy getting the win with that performance.

That was by far his worst performance of the season, but he got a W. yet, in three other games, the Sox lost 1-0, 1-0, and 2-1. He got losses in all three of those. Just to show you W-L is a meh stat for pitchers.

The Immigrant
08-02-2012, 11:39 AM
That was by far his worst performance of the season, but he got a W. yet, in three other games, the Sox lost 1-0, 1-0, and 2-1. He got losses in all three of those. Just to show you W-L is a meh stat for pitchers.

I think his worst performance was when he gave up a 6 run lead against the Tigers.

soxinem1
08-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Wins are hardly a meh stat. Pitchers with high win totals and quality starts will get paid. Teams do not care about ERA, K, or H/IP ratio titles anymore.

doublem23
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Wins are hardly a meh stat. Pitchers with high win totals and quality starts will get paid. Teams do not care about ERA, K, or H/IP ratio titles anymore.

Exactly why the Phillies just gave a pitcher whose never topped 15 wins in season a $153 million extension.

Just because agents and arbitors use a stat doesn't make it good. Relief pitchers get paid big bucks for saves, when that is pretty much an inconsiquential statistic.

SephClone89
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM

I'd like to know what your evidence for this is.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2012, 04:45 PM
I'd like to know what your evidence for this is.

I am sure that you can find a lot of contracts given to a guy with large win totals where the rest of his stats are poor. The White Sox probably gave Jamie Navarro that big contract because he won 15 games with the Cubs in '96.

While wins aren't that important as a stat I still think they are worth looking at. A guy can win only 12 games and still be a great pitcher and a guy can win 15 and be a not so good pitcher but when you have a guy who had the kind of year that Verlander had last year and he wins 25 I think that you HAVE to look at those numbers at least when handing out the Cy Young Award or something. It is certainly impressive any time a guy wins 20 or more games and I would bet that more often than not he has very good numbers to go along with those wins.