PDA

View Full Version : Uniform usage this year

XplodingScorbord
08-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Is it me or are our beloved Sox wearing the black alternates almost never anymore? I for one am good with this as I'd just as soon they be a rare special choice. Am I just not noticing, or have they really dialed back on wearing them?

Harry Potter
08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I know there's a poster on here that has a uniform tracker in their signature

asindc
08-01-2012, 09:05 PM
To answer the question in the third option, I care.

DSpivack
08-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I won't be happy until uniforms have a churro patch.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 09:14 PM
The Sox are usually the best dressed team in the Majors every night no matter what they're wearing, so it's all gravy to this guy

Streets
08-01-2012, 10:00 PM
After two years (that I've noticed) of major overuse of the black jersey, it's nice to see that it's taken a backseat this season.

Boondock Saint
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
After two years (that I've noticed) of major overuse of the black jersey, it's nice to see that it's taken a backseat this season.

Amen.

HomeFish
08-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Bring back the vest!

thomas35forever
08-01-2012, 11:10 PM
After the over-usage of the blacks over the last few years, this is a refreshing change.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Brooks Boyer before the season started said he was stepping in and asking the Sox to wear the white pinstripe / gray road uniforms more this season.

Plus Buehrle and Garcia are no longer on the club and the starting pitcher had the choice of uniforms the day they started, both of those guys liked the black ones.

Lip

johnnyg83
08-01-2012, 11:52 PM
After the over-usage of the blacks over the last few years, this is a refreshing change.

Amen. I think it's the best road jersey in baseball ... With the diamond patch though.

samurai_sox
08-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Bring back the vest!

No thanks, I hated those.

I didn't mind the players wearing them over their black Under Armour shirts,

it was the fat dudes in the stands that wore them without shirts on underneath. I can see your hairy armpits man.

EdHerman12
08-02-2012, 05:33 AM
I know it's said the starting Pitchers had the choice but I always felt the Sox former Manager had a lot to do with the frequent wearing of the black unis...I've had the Extra Innings baseball package for the past several years and this season in particular I've seen the South Florida based team wearing black jerseys on the road...and at home more than ever....coincidence?

GO WHITE SOX!

russ99
08-02-2012, 06:41 AM
I know it's said the starting Pitchers had the choice but I always felt the Sox former Manager had a lot to do with the frequent wearing of the black unis...I've had the Extra Innings baseball package for the past several years and this season in particular I've seen the South Florida based team wearing black jerseys on the road...and at home more than ever....coincidence?

GO WHITE SOX!

Great, another thing blamed on Ozzie.

This is super-easy to understand. Mark Buerhle 2011 Sox starts - 31, 2012: Sox starts - 0, Marlins starts - 21. Plus we're wearing 1972 jerseys every Sunday at home, which limits the black jersey usage.

Personally I love the black jerseys. I wouldn't mind at all if they replaced the road greys, which are beyond bland, especially since they removed the diamond sock logo, which was their only redeeming value.

I can understand that the home whites should be worn more at home, but I'd prefer a little more usage of the black jerseys, especially in the early/late months when it's not so hot.

SephClone89
08-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Great, another thing blamed on Ozzie.

This is super-easy to understand. Mark Buerhle 2011 Sox starts - 31, 2012: Sox starts - 0, Marlins starts - 21. Plus we're wearing 1972 jerseys every Sunday at home, which limits the black jersey usage.

Per Knight's signature, we're on:
Home 40
Away 52
Alternate 11

Whereas last year it was probably at least 50-60% alts.

It's more than just Buehrle. As was stated earlier, it had been brought to Boyer's attention a couple of years ago and I guess with the new coaching regime they made this a conscious decision. Thank God.

Personally I love the black jerseys. I wouldn't mind at all if they replaced the road greys, which are beyond bland, especially since they removed the diamond sock logo, which was their only redeeming value.

You're out of your mind. The road grays are some of the best in all of baseball. I hate seeing alternates for all teams, really, unless they're throwbacks. Give me the classic colors.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-02-2012, 07:19 AM
It's refreshing to see them wear their regular uniforms. I too am a huge fan of the road grays because it's so classic looking to me.

Give me the throwbacks on Sunday home games and this continuing ratio of usage and it's all good.

Jollyroger2
08-02-2012, 07:20 AM
I'd be ok with them using the black jersey on some away games but it past seasons it seemed like overkill. I like the gray jerseys although I wish they'd bring back the sock logo.

Don't like the red Sunday jerseys at all.

doublem23
08-02-2012, 08:00 AM
I'd be ok with them using the black jersey on some away games but it past seasons it seemed like overkill. I like the gray jerseys although I wish they'd bring back the sock logo.

Don't like the red Sunday jerseys at all.

The red jerseys were kind of cool the first 1-2 times I saw them, but yeah, by now, I'm done with it.

The road greys are awesome but BRING BACK THE DIAMOND SOCK.

russ99
08-02-2012, 08:13 AM
It's refreshing to see them wear their regular uniforms. I too am a huge fan of the road grays because it's so classic looking to me.

Give me the throwbacks on Sunday home games and this continuing ratio of usage and it's all good.

My issue with the road greys isn't that they're classic. That they are. It's more that they're starkly monochrome and the markings are bland, especially without the diamond sock logo.

That "chicago" script has been around for years - back since the days of the script "e" hat (for Einhorn no doubt). They could change it up a bit. Look at the newer road unis, like Washington and Minnesota. Still classic-style but with a fresher look.

My favorite Sox jerseys of the Kenny Williams era are the sleeveless black jerseys. Maybe they could alternate something like that on the road.

tebman
08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
The red jerseys were kind of cool the first 1-2 times I saw them, but yeah, by now, I'm done with it.

The road greys are awesome but BRING BACK THE DIAMOND SOCK.

:thumbsup:

The road greys are great-looking outfits and the home pinstripes are better still. I admired Bill Veeck for a lot of reasons, but I was at the head of the line to disagree with those goofy softball pajamas he gave the team in the 1970s.

The black jerseys should be used rarely, if at all. I think too that the novelty has worn off the Sunday reds.

Nice that we can talk about sartorial choices while our team is in first place, eh? :cool:

beasly213
08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
I really like the Sunday Red uniforms. Glad they're wearing them this year. I've even gotten used to the diamond sock being gone from the aways.

doublem23
08-02-2012, 08:21 AM
My favorite Sox jerseys of the Kenny Williams era are the sleeveless black jerseys. Maybe they could alternate something like that on the road.

I don't recall them ever wearing sleeveless black alts. The vests were the pinstripes.

Hitmen77
08-02-2012, 08:25 AM

I agree 100%.

Yep, I've seen enough of them.

Dibbs
08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
We should just follow the Yankees since they are the best organization. White for home and grey for road. I've always hated the black alternates.

PaleHoser
08-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Bring back the diamond sock on the road jerseys.

On the subject of patches, the patch on the red home jerseys is SWEET.

It wouldn't bother me in the least if I never saw the black jerseys again. Maybe they've been avoided more this year because it's been extremely hot this summer?

Harry Potter
08-02-2012, 08:56 AM
I really like the Sunday Red uniforms. Glad they're wearing them this year. I've even gotten used to the diamond sock being gone from the aways.

I still enjoy seeing the Sunday Reds out there (maybe because I went out a purchased one)

asindc
08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Bring back the diamond sock on the road jerseys.

On the subject of patches, the patch on the red home jerseys is SWEET.

It wouldn't bother me in the least if I never saw the black jerseys again. Maybe they've been avoided more this year because it's been extremely hot this summer?

Same with me. My ire with them was pushed to the tipping point when they were worn on Opening Day last year.:mad: Get rid of them, I say.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't recall them ever wearing sleeveless black alts. The vests were the pinstripes.Yeah, the only vests have been sleeveless (including three years or faux vests with attached sleeves). Also, the only black jerseys the Sox have ever worn other than their current ones were the jerseys from 91 and 92 without the black outline beteen the white and gray.

dwalteroo
08-02-2012, 09:07 AM
i hate seeing alternates for all teams, really, unless they're throwbacks. Give me the classic colors.

this.

dwalteroo
08-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I also am all for the diamond sock. That is such a cool addition to the uniform. I get that they want to brand the SOX logo, but still.

Question: Next year, are they gonna pick a different retro uniform for Sundays? I think it's a cool idea, but I like that they are sticking with one all year.

DSpivack
08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I also am all for the diamond sock. That is such a cool addition to the uniform. I get that they want to brand the SOX logo, but still.

Question: Next year, are they gonna pick a different retro uniform for Sundays? I think it's a cool idea, but I like that they are sticking with one all year.

I don't know about sunday uniforms, but instead of the awkward-looking camouflage logo hats for Memorial Day & July 4th, I would love it if they wore the red, white & blue 1917 uniforms:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1917_chicago.gif

bunkaroo
08-02-2012, 09:22 AM
I know the pinstripes are the classic look but I love the black jersey - I think it's the best jersey in baseball. Of course I own more black clothing than any other color. :smile:

Jerko
08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I like having a variety. If every team wore ONLY home whites or road grays, i think that would be kind of bland. Especially bad teams. Those old Padres and Astros sucked, but IMO the uniforms made them more "fun" to watch suck. The current Padres and Astros also suck but when they played the other day decked out in road grays and home whites, it was doubly boring IMO. I actually miss "road blues", ALA the Cardinals and Phillies of yore.

EdHerman12
08-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Well...next season is the 30th anniversary of the "Winning Ugly" bunch...I see an awful lot of those jerseys in the crowd so.....

GO WHITE SOX!

SephClone89
08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I don't know about sunday uniforms, but instead of the awkward-looking camouflage logo hats for Memorial Day & July 4th, I would love it if they wore the red, white & blue 1917 uniforms:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1917_chicago.gif

This would be ****ing awesome. I think they wore the special "patriotic" caps on a couple of other occasions aside from Memorial Day and July 4th in the past, including 9/11 last year.

Well...next season is the 30th anniversary of the "Winning Ugly" bunch...I see an awful lot of those jerseys in the crowd so.....

GO WHITE SOX!

This actually occurred to me.

Again, I'm all for throwbacks.

As long as they're throwbacks of uniforms that aren't terrible.

bunkaroo
08-02-2012, 10:18 AM

GO WHITE SOX!

When I was out at Pro Jersey in Downers one of the guys working there mentioned the Sox should be doing the '83 throwbacks next year but I'm not sure how they would know for sure.

All I know is if they do it's going to cost me a couple hundred dollars LOL.

FoulTerritory
08-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Amen. I think it's the best road jersey in baseball ... With the diamond patch though.

Yup. I feel obliged, in every jersey thread, to bitch about the lack of diamond patch on the grays. What is Brooks thinking with that one?

mmmmmbeeer
08-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I know the pinstripes are the classic look but I love the black jersey - I think it's the best jersey in baseball. Of course I own more black clothing than any other color. :smile:

I'm not a fan of black clothing but I will agree that the black alts are my favorite. The white logo on the black jersey just really makes the logo pop. Love the end of the sleeves on them too....just a very, very sharp jersey. I wish it were their full-time road jersey as I find the grey road jerseys fairly hideous.

Foulke You
08-02-2012, 01:12 PM
I also love the black alternates. There is a vocal minority that seems to hate them but I've always liked them. The lettering and numbers are very sharp and the "SOX" on the chest really pops. I do agree that they were a bit overused the last couple years but now I think they are under used. I like all three Sox uniforms though. Wouldn't mind seeing the 1917 pinstripes being used as a Sunday alternate at some point. The team hasn't worn those since the Turn Back the Clock day during the 1990 season.

asindc
08-02-2012, 01:29 PM
I also love the black alternates. There is a vocal minority that seems to hate them but I've always liked them. The lettering and numbers are very sharp and the "SOX" on the chest really pops. I do agree that they were a bit overused the last couple years but now I think they are under used. I like all three Sox uniforms though. Wouldn't mind seeing the 1917 pinstripes being used as a Sunday alternate at some point. The team hasn't worn those since the Turn Back the Clock day during the 1990 season.

Based on the poll results so far, vocal "minority" seems inaccurate.

doublem23
08-02-2012, 01:43 PM

52 posters out of 14,000 sure seems like it

asindc
08-02-2012, 02:20 PM
52 posters out of 14,000 sure seems like it

You mean as opposed to 13 out of 14,000 members (not poll participants, mind you)?

grizzbr
08-02-2012, 02:33 PM
The black alternates are the best looking jersey in baseball. I miss them this year. As far as the road grays, they stink and incredibly bland. Terrible looking especially without the diamond patch. I'd like to see a newly designed road jersey for next year with the SOX script instead of Chicago.

SephClone89
08-02-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd like to see a newly designed road jersey for next year with the SOX script instead of Chicago.

Except that's not how road jerseys work, generally speaking.

asindc
08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Except that's not how road jerseys work, generally speaking.

Nor should they. Road unis, city (or state) name. Home unis, logo and/or nickname. Makes perfect sense.

bunkaroo
08-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Just thought of one reason they may be wearing the black less, especially at home. It's been ungodly hot this summer and I'm sure standing in the sun in a white jersey is a lot better than a black one.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Just thought of one reason they may be wearing the black less, especially at home. It's been ungodly hot this summer and I'm sure standing in the sun in a white jersey is a lot better than a black one.That's not it. First off, the jerseys are use Coolbase material which is much cooler than the traditonal doubleknit. Also, they never had issue wearing black jerseys in hot temperatures before Coolbase came around. I went to a game before when it was at or around 100 and they players wore black. Brooks Boyer mentioned last year that he wanted the team to wear black less, and it looks like he was able to get his way this year.

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I've always thought that having a jersey of a different color than the pants looks like a softball uniform. White at home, gray on the road. That's the tradition.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Someone has pointed out that with the absence of Mark Buehrle they wear the black jerseys less but I think the reason Buehrle wore them so much was because he pitched both a no hitter and a perfect game in them. Prior to the perfect game I seem to recall he would wear the black alternate only if the team lost the night before but after he threw the perfect game he would almost always wear the black alternates. I think when they were first unveiled they were only worn on Sundays which sounded good at the time.

Also count me in as someone who would love to see the White Sox wear the 1917 American Flag uniform (which I think they only wore during the World Series) instead of camouflage or the American flag hats on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, etc. But I don't think Selig would allow that.

BigKlu59
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
I've always thought that having a jersey of a different color than the pants looks like a softball uniform. White at home, gray on the road. That's the tradition.

I second that one, Sage.... I'd rather they'd do what they have this year with the Red Pinstripe as the alternate. Hell, why not each season pick a Home Uni from a former decade and use it as the alternate at home.

BK59

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I second that one, Sage.... I'd rather they'd do what they have this year with the Red Pinstripe as the alternate. Hell, why not each season pick a Home Uni from a former decade and use it as the alternate at home.

BK59

The Sox would have a lot to choose from but I don't need to see Veeck's pajama tops from 76 to 82 or the winning ugly ones from 82 to 86 again.
They should still be wearing these.
http://shop.mlb.com/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2431499dt.jpg

Brian26
08-02-2012, 05:44 PM
That "chicago" script has been around for years - back since the days of the script "e" hat (for Einhorn no doubt). They could change it up a bit. Look at the newer road unis, like Washington and Minnesota. Still classic-style but with a fresher look.

The "Chicago" cursive script is different on the current unis than the '87-'90 jerseys. It's a cleaned-up version. It doesn't need changing, nor should it be changed. The identity of the team suffered for 90 years because of all of the silly uniform changes. They finally got it right in 1990 and should never change it.

Keep the road greys as they are, bring back the diamond sock patch and call it a day!

EdHerman12
08-02-2012, 05:47 PM

150% agree!

GO WHITE SOX!

Brian26
08-02-2012, 05:48 PM
You're out of your mind. The road grays are some of the best in all of baseball. I hate seeing alternates for all teams, really, unless they're throwbacks. Give me the classic colors.

:thumbsup:

DSpivack
08-02-2012, 07:15 PM
The Sox would have a lot to choose from but I don't need to see Veeck's pajama tops from 76 to 82 or the winning ugly ones from 82 to 86 again.

I still kick myself for not going to that game when AJ hit a walk-off against the Dodgers.

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I still kick myself for not going to that game when AJ hit a walk-off against the Dodgers.

That was some game and I got the feeling that night that lt was a special year and we were going to go all the way.

dickallen15
08-02-2012, 08:01 PM

GO WHITE SOX!
I wish they made the red pinstripes a permanent Sunday jersey.

dickallen15
08-02-2012, 08:02 PM

I really don't care about the diamond sock either, but a lot of people do. How about a compromise and they put it on the other sleeve? Everyone wins.

Brian26
08-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I really don't care about the diamond sock either, but a lot of people do. How about a compromise and they put it on the other sleeve? Everyone wins.

That might look cool. You kinda have a mini version of it this year with the Hickey and Skowron patches.

Red Barchetta
08-02-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm glad that they are wearing the black alternate jersey less often this season. For the last few years, the black jersey was basically the road jersey with the grey Chicago scrips jersey being worn the least.

I remember how they only wore them on Sunday's at first way back in 1990, however that soon changed.

I have always liked our black alternate because it was part of the SOX color scheme, however what really looked bad IMO were how all the other teams were adopting black alternate jerseys. The Mets, Royals, Blue Jays, Diamondbacks, Marlins, etc. When the A's did it, I knew MLB had "Jumped the Shark" on the black alternates.

MISoxfan
08-02-2012, 10:25 PM

Which poll option indicates a hatred of the alternates?

KnightSox
08-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I can't find the numbers, but the alternates were worn over 60% of the time the last two seasons. It was major overkill for a supposed "alternate" jersey, it contributed to my gradual dislike of them.

The balance seems perfect now.

KnightSox
08-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I was going to update the Sig pic to include the throwbacks, however due to my laziness I include them in the home count.

Hitmen77
08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
The "Chicago" cursive script is different on the current unis than the '87-'90 jerseys. It's a cleaned-up version. It doesn't need changing, nor should it be changed. The identity of the team suffered for 90 years because of all of the silly uniform changes. They finally got it right in 1990 and should never change it.

Keep the road greys as they are, bring back the diamond sock patch and call it a day!

Correct. The current cursive script was introduced in 1990 and is not the same as the late 80s version.

I totally agree about the Sox finally getting it right in 1990. When I was growing up, the Sox were a team that changed their uniforms every 5 years or so and those uniforms were the butt of jokes. It really did hurt their identity when other original teams like the Yankees, Cubs, Cardinals, Red Sox, Dodgers almost never changed their look.

After growing up with that crap, I'm thrilled to death that the Sox finally landed with a classic uniform and logo. I have no problem with the current road grays. I liked the diamond sock patch, but I'm not all that bent of shape that it's gone.

The alternate black jerseys were just too overused IMO. I'm glad to see them stick to their standard home and away jerseys more often this year.

WLL1855
08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I thought the 'Sunday Blacks' were cool as hell back in high school when they were introduced. I like the throwback red pinstripes in much the same way.

Once a week is something special. If you are wearing a 'special' uniform half the time then it becomes mundane.

WLL1855
08-02-2012, 11:25 PM
I was going to update the Sig pic to include the throwbacks, however due to my laziness I include them in the home count.

Booooooo.

bunkaroo
08-03-2012, 09:16 AM
That's not it. First off, the jerseys are use Coolbase material which is much cooler than the traditonal doubleknit. Also, they never had issue wearing black jerseys in hot temperatures before Coolbase came around. I went to a game before when it was at or around 100 and they players wore black. Brooks Boyer mentioned last year that he wanted the team to wear black less, and it looks like he was able to get his way this year.

Ahh that's right I remember someone mentioned Boyer wanting that.

I have a couple of the Cool Base jerseys and while they're thinner, I'm sure wearing a black one in the sun is still hotter than wearing the white or gray.

The Dude
08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't understand the hate for the black uniforms. Definitely my favorite of the three but then again, I love all three and wouldnt change a thing. Variety is good people. Having only two choices is not smart from a marketing standpoint as well.
That being said, I was disappointed to only see two Hawks jerseys this year and would love if they brought back the solid black uniforms for once in a while.

I think we are fortunate to have great jerseys for all of our Chicago teams (sans the Cubs of course) :D:

bunkaroo
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
That being said, I was disappointed to only see two Hawks jerseys this year and would love if they brought back the solid black uniforms for once in a while.

I do not get the Hawks' decision to stop wearing the throwback alternate at all. They only had them 2 seasons. I think they gave some explanation that it wasn't as popular.

Well, I still see a ton of people in them at the games so I don't know who they weren't popular with - maybe the players?

But I would love to get back the black sweaters that are the same design as the red and white ones. We're truly lucky to have both the best baseball and hockey jerseys anywhere. :)

EdHerman12
08-03-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't understand the hate for the black uniforms

I for one don't hate the black alternates. Go back and look at the '76- I just think there was overkill on the part of wearing them the past few seasons. Quite honestly,and I know a long way back in this thread I stated I felt our former Manager had some type of input into jersey selection, it seemed that if the team lost a game, say wearing the white pinstripes, they'd come back with black and wear them until they lost ,then they'd switch back. If they won the last game of a homestand in black, the first game away would see them in black jerseys until they lost a game, then they'd switch to the grays and back to black if they lost. Itr got to the point where I'd pretty much know what they'd be wearing based on the previous game. Baseball is a sport chock full of superstitions which is what I kind of felt was going on. And...there could be a lot worse uniforms they could be wearing as soem may remember from '76!

GO WHITE SOX!