PDA

View Full Version : August ALC Watch

Pages : [1] 2

hoosiersoxfan
08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Tigers lead Boston 6-1 in the 5th inning right now.

Indians down 4-0 to KC in the 3rd.

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I think the Indians are fading. Another week or two and I think they may be done.

Zakath
08-01-2012, 08:50 PM
I think the Indians are fading. Another week or two and I think they may be done.

Including taking 2 of 3 from Detroit, the Indians have gone 6-12 since the ASB, while the Sox have gone 10-9 and the Tigers 10-8.

Schedules for the rest of the month:
Sox - 3-5 Los Angeles, 6-8 Kansas City, 10-12 Oakland, 13-16 @Toronto, 17-19 @Kansas City, 20-22 New York, 24-26 Seattle, 27-30 @Baltimore, 31-Sept. 2 @Detroit
Indians - 2 @Kansas City, 3-5 @Detroit, 6-8 Minnesota, 9-12 Boston, 13-15 @Los Angeles, 17-19 @Oakland, 20-22 @Seattle, 24-26 New York, 27-30 Oakland, 31-Sept. 2 Texas
Tigers - 3-5 Cleveland, 6-9 New York, 10-12 @Texas, 13-15 @Minnesota, 17-19 Baltimore, 21-23 Toronto, 24-26 Los Angeles, 28-30 @Kansas City, 31-Sept. 2 Chicago

Zakath
08-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Boston has cut Detroit's lead to 6-4 in the bottom of the seventh.

Royals up 5-1 in bottom of the 6th.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Well, back to a 2.5 game lead over Detroit. Boston gave it a go, but they couldn't overcome a 5-run 5th by the Tigers.

It seems as though they've had a whole bunch of those "big crooked number" innings this season, usually with Cabrera and Fielder hitting back-to-back shots (as was the case today).

Edit: Turns out it was only the 3rd time those two have hit consecutive HRs, but the 2nd in the past week.

hawkjt
08-02-2012, 10:40 AM
The Tribe has played the Tigers very tough...they get them this weekend...hope they can find enough spark to dent the tigers.

thomas35forever
08-05-2012, 01:23 PM
The Red Sox have acquired Danny Valencia from the Twins. I'm all right with that.

voodoochile
08-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Toons have taken a 5-4 lead in the 7th over the Kittens.

08-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Toons have taken a 5-4 lead in the 7th over the Kittens.

5-5 tie ballgame.

:whiner:

chisoxjtrain
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
**** the Indians.

CHISOXFAN13
08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
The Indians might finish last.

LoveYourSuit
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Indians suck.

5 run 10th inning.

JB98
08-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Perez retired the first two hitters. Then, we walked two hitters. Then, the Tigers scored five runs with two outs. Detroit erases an 8-5 deficit and wins 10-8.

I often speak on this board about how much I hate relievers who walk people. There's your latest exhibit why.

No matter, the Sox won and another day is off the schedule with our team in first place.

voodoochile
I think whatever chance the Toons had to recover just died. Two team race now for sure...

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Thanks for laying down and dying, Indians. Useless.

Blueprint1
08-05-2012, 04:22 PM
The Indians are the worst team in baseball right now.

CHISOXFAN13
08-05-2012, 04:22 PM
I think whatever chance the Toons had to recover just died. Two team race now for sure...

Their run differentIal early in the season proved they were a fraud. Worst team in the American League, IMO.

voodoochile
08-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Tigers have a really rough stretch coming up. Next 19 games only "sure wins" are against the Twinkies and those are in Minnesota. The rest are all against potential playoff teams. Meanwhile over that same stretch the Sox have 6 against KC, 3 against Oakland (I still don't believe they are for real) and 3 against Seattle.

It would be a good time for the Sox to build a lead...

Edit: Guess I gotta put Oakland in the other column since they currently lead the WC standings, still, I think the Sox can beat em fairly easily. Games are in Chicago.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2012, 04:53 PM
One of the A's starters (I don't remember if it was yesterday or today) left the game with "tightness" in his throwing shoulder.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
08-05-2012, 05:09 PM
...the Sox have 6 against KC...
Can we please, for the love of God, knock the snot out of Bruce ****ing Chen?

CHISOXFAN13
08-05-2012, 06:09 PM
One of the A's starters (I don't remember if it was yesterday or today) left the game with "tightness" in his throwing shoulder.

Lip

A.J. Griffin left yesterday's game.

Hitmen77
08-05-2012, 07:37 PM
It really sucks that the Indians choked today's game so badly. But, there's nothing the Sox can do about it. We just gotta win our games.

But, wow - leading by 3 in the bottom of the 10th with 2 out and nobody on and the Tigers score 5 runs? :o: Could you imagine the meltdown mode we'd be in at WSI if the Sox pissed a game away like that?

Zakath
08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
It really sucks that the Indians choked today's game so badly. But, there's nothing the Sox can do about it. We just gotta win our games.

But, wow - leading by 3 in the bottom of the 10th with 2 out and nobody on and the Tigers score 5 runs? :o: Could you imagine the meltdown mode we'd be in at WSI if the Sox pissed a game away like that?

We're almost in meltdown mode over this... :wink:

PeteWard
08-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Hope the Injuns stay dead during the first week of October. Those games will probably be big.

central44
08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Hope the Injuns stay dead during the first week of October. Those games will probably be big.

Ha--with our luck, the Indians will probably be red hot at the time.

Of course, with our Sox that won't matter :cool:

amsteel
08-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Interesting choice by Leyland by letting Verlander throw 132 pitches in a 5-run game.

voodoochile
08-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Interesting choice by Leyland by letting Verlander throw 132 pitches in a 5-run game.

He tends to throw more pitches than most pitchers and has gone 120+ semi-regularly in his career. Maybe his arm has a lot of life because of all the games he missed and they wanted to save the bullpen for the rest of the series. Still, that's a lot of freaking pitches...

DonnieDarko
08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Verlander is a freak of nature. No other way to put it. I hate playing the guy while respecting him to the utmost at the same time. Strange feeling...

Soxman219
08-06-2012, 10:04 PM

I remember when the Sox had a 6-0 against the Twins in 2008 in the final week of the season, blew it, and lost in the 9th. I remember because it was the only time I was banned on this site. I was livid in the postgame thread and wrote some angry remarks.

samurai_sox
08-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I remember when the Sox had a 6-0 against the Twins in 2008 in the final week of the season, blew it, and lost in the 9th. I remember because it was the only time I was banned on this site. I was livid in the postgame thread and wrote some angry remarks.

Yeah that series was depressing but we all know what happened next. :D:

Lip Man 1
08-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Maybe it'll gas Verlander (but I wouldn't hold my breath on that...)

Lip

amsteel
08-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Maybe it'll gas Verlander (but I wouldn't hold my breath on that...)

Lip

Someone in my twitter feed last night wondered if Verlander's penchant for throwing 120+ pitches per game during the regular season has something to do with his 5.57 career postseason ERA.

hawkjt
08-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Verlander is no doubt a pure physical freak of nature.
In the postgame he said he studied video and came up with an adjustment after two losses in a row.
The Yanks had chances to get to him, but just could not come up with the big hit.
Tonite....Hughes vs Schwerzer....better chance for the Yanks.:smile:

Hitmen77
08-08-2012, 04:55 PM
The Yankees have lost 12 of their last 18 games. So, the Tigers are catching them at a good time.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Detroit has tied the Comerica Park record by winning 10 straight home games. They are 16-8 since the break. Sox are 13-11 which given their history the last decade of playing worse in the second half isn't bad for this stage.

Lip

delben91
08-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Detroit has tied the Comerica Park record by winning 10 straight home games. They are 16-8 since the break. Sox are 13-11 which given their history the last decade of playing worse in the second half isn't bad for this stage.

Lip

I'd imagine Detroit will still have a stretch closer to .500 and the Sox probably have at least one more hot streak in them.

Going to come down to the last week of the season regardless, I don't see either team running away with it. Detroit's pitching isn't strong enough to run away with it, and the Sox pitching is too good for them to get buried by one or two good weeks by Detroit.

Hitmen77
08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
The Evil Empire is up 7-0. If that holds, the Sox have a good chance to gain a game back tonight.

.....We just have to do better than we did vs. Cy Chen and Cy Mendoza. :rolleyes:

CoopaLoop
08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Tiggers are within one.

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Both the Tigers and White Sox are so streaky that I think it comes down to who gets hot in the last week of the season.

DSpivack
08-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Back to 10-7 Yankees.

Soxman219
08-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Tigers lose, we are still in first for another night.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
5187:

I absolutely agree and if that's the case the Sox are going to have to do better against Detroit, they've lost seven of the last nine against them.

Sox 4-5 vs. K.C.
Sox 4-7 vs. Det. (won first two games of the year)

Det. 7-1 vs. K.C.
Det. 7-4 vs. Sox

When all is said and done that could be the difference.

Lip

FielderJones
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Yankees score two in the top of the 8th to take a 4-3 lead over Detroit.

The Immigrant
08-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Tigers put runners on first and third with no outs in the 9th and get nothing. Yankees win.

aryzner
08-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Excellent.

jdm2662
08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
The unstoppable Tigers had first and third and nobody out in the ninth. They fail to get a run in. Sometimes I wonder if the Sox should bother playing anymore. The Tigers are just too good.

Chez
08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Tigers put runners on first and third with no outs in the 9th and get nothing. Yankees win.

Can you imagine the meltdown on WSI if that had happened to us? Good grief!

LITTLE NELL
08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
One game lead by the good guys. Lets hope the Sox can pick up at least 1 game this weekend with 3 at home while Detroit has to travel down to Texas.

jdm2662
08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
5187:

I absolutely agree and if that's the case the Sox are going to have to do better against Detroit, they've lost seven of the last nine against them.

Sox 4-5 vs. K.C.
Sox 4-7 vs. Det. (won first two games of the year)

Det. 7-1 vs. K.C.
Det. 7-4 vs. Sox

When all is said and done that could be the difference.

Lip

I'm probably wasting my time, but whatever.

Sox 8-4 vs CLE
DET 5-7 vs CLE

Also note that the Sox played CLE when they were still playing good. DET was 2-7 against CLE during that span. They won the last three games when CLE was taking a nose dive.

Sox 5-1 vs SEA
DET 1-5 vs SEA

Sox 9-3 vs MIN
DET 5-4 vs MIN

Sox 6-3 vs TEX
DET 2-5 vs TEX

But yes, let's ignore these games, too. Because, it doesn't make your point valid.

Soxman219
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks Tex and Chavez.

The Immigrant
08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm probably wasting my time, but whatever.

Sox 8-4 vs CLE
DET 5-7 vs CLE

Also note that the Sox played CLE when they were still playing good. DET was 2-7 against CLE during that span. They won the last three games when CLE was taking a nose dive.

Sox 5-1 vs SEA
DET 1-5 vs SEA

Sox 9-3 vs MIN
DET 5-4 vs MIN

Sox 6-3 vs TEX
DET 2-5 vs TEX

But yes, let's ignore these games, too. Because, it doesn't make your point valid.

This just made my day.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2012, 04:09 PM
JDM:

So are you saying the division won't come down to the head to head meetings between Detroit and the Sox?

It's possible it won't...but I wouldn't bet your life on that.

If you don't think it's going to come down to those seven games what do you feel decides it then?

----------------------

And on another topic, it's a great day, Detroit loses and the Sox don't play (so they can't lose...) that just made MY day!

Lip

delben91
08-09-2012, 04:15 PM
JDM:

So are you saying the division won't come down to the head to head meetings between Detroit and the Sox?

It's possible it won't...but I wouldn't bet your life on that.

If you don't think it's going to come down to those seven games what do you feel decides it then?

----------------------

And on another topic, it's a great day, Detroit loses and the Sox don't play (so they can't lose...) that just made MY day!

Lip

Well, in your original post you cited both the Sox and Tigers records against each other and against KC. The implication clearly is the games against each other and against KC were the most critical to determining who wins the central, as "they could be the difference."

I don't see why games against KC are more "difference making" then games against Cleveland, or Minnesota both of which the Sox have performed better against.

Why is KC the measuring stick and not some other middling team in the division?

jdm2662
08-09-2012, 04:18 PM
JDM:

Lip

Here is the thing Lip. If you just said this, then no one would argue with you. But, problem is, you had to throw in the KC games, and you act like the Sox only lose to bad teams. It has already been stated the Sox have the third best record in the AL against sub .500 teams. They just don't play as well against KC where DET does. Meanwhile, the Sox have done better against CLE, MIN, and SEA. Much better actually. It's almost like you purposely do this to make the Sox look weak. It's life in sports. Some teams play better against some and not so much against others. There was a time when the Sox kicked the crap out of DET. Obviously, it's not the case anymore, but that was also as unexplainable as anything else. Meanwhile, a team like MIN always gave the Sox fits, and the Sox have kicked the crap out of them since the second half of last season.

Now, you might say the Sox blowing the 6-0 lead against DET might cost them. Well, Dunn had a monster HR in the ninth in another game to turn a sure loss into a win. Things always balance out. It may certainly come down to the head to head matchups, and it may not. All I know is, when DET swept the Sox, the Sox were done and they shouldn't bother showing up the rest of the year. Not even a week later, the Sox were back in first place. DET has also been pretty crappy on the road lately and been very good at home. Let's see how things play out.

The bottom line, it's August 9th and the Sox are in first by a game. It's better than being in last, isn't it? If the Sox win, I will be very happy. If they lose, my life goes on as is.

asindc
08-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Here is the thing Lip. If you just said this, then no one would argue with you. But, problem is, you had to throw in the KC games, and you act like the Sox only lose to bad teams. It has already been stated the Sox have the third best record in the AL against sub .500 teams. They just don't play as well against KC where DET does. Meanwhile, the Sox have done better against CLE, MIN, and SEA. Much better actually. It's almost like you purposely do this to make the Sox look weak. It's life in sports. Some teams play better against some and not so much against others. There was a time when the Sox kicked the crap out of DET. Obviously, it's not the case anymore, but that was also as unexplainable as anything else. Meanwhile, a team like MIN always gave the Sox fits, and the Sox have kicked the crap out of them since the second half of last season.

Now, you might say the Sox blowing the 6-0 lead against DET might cost them. Well, Dunn had a monster HR in the ninth in another game to turn a sure loss into a win. Things always balance out. It may certainly come down to the head to head matchups, and it may not. All I know is, when DET swept the Sox, the Sox were done and they shouldn't bother showing up the rest of the year. Not even a week later, the Sox were back in first place. DET has also been pretty crappy on the road lately and been very good at home. Let's see how things play out.

The bottom line, it's August 9th and the Sox are in first by a game. It's better than being in last, isn't it? If the Sox win, I will be very happy. If they lose, my life goes on as is.

This really should not need to be said, especially when your team is in first place, but thanks for saying it all the same.

TDog
08-09-2012, 04:52 PM
This really should not need to be said, especially when your team is in first place, but thanks for saying it all the same.

And although it's been said many times and many ways, it will be ignored by some and need to be repeated.

Considering that the White Sox, after all they have been through, have a 1 game lead because the Tigers are two games beihind in the loss column this late in the season, weeks after the Tigers surged ahead of the White Sox and the national media declared the division race virtually over, as a White Sox fan, I can't complain.

PalehosePlanet
08-09-2012, 05:12 PM
The unstoppable Tigers had first and third and nobody out in the ninth. They fail to get a run in. Sometimes I wonder if the Sox should bother playing anymore. The Tigers are just too good.

Absolutely beautiful; the kind of loss that hopefully sends them into a funk.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2012, 05:20 PM
JDM:

I brought the Royals up because guess who they play as part of the final 13 games of the season? Hint: It's the team that's beaten them seven of eight this season so far.

I simply don't want as I've stated before, the Sox to have to rely on someone else beating someone else to get them back into the mix like what happened in 2008. The easiest way to do that is to keep winning and beat bad teams to give you a little cushion.

I am going to try at the end of the year with the possible changes coming to the site, to put together a story looking at the numbers for the past 12 years to see how the Sox losing games to "bad teams" has cost them, if in fact it cost them playoff spots, if so how many and meanwhile what were the teams that made the playoffs in every year doing against the same sad-sack teams.

Maybe it will help clear up some things, maybe it will confuse the issue more but we'll see.

Lip

JB98
08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Great to see the Tigers blow a golden opportunity to tie or win in the ninth today. Well, actually, I didn't see it. I heard it on the radio.

One other point: the seven remaining games between the Sox and Detroit won't necessarily decide the division. If those seven games swing 4-3 for one team or the other, the impact could be negligible. Unless, of course, the division is decided by just one game.

hawkjt
08-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Yanks pull out a big one vs the Tigers....thank you,Yanks!

Tigers have to be a bit taken aback by losing these last two games that were very winnable...at home where they have been unbeatable. Yanks are stuggling right now,but managed to dent the Tigers anyway. Now they go to Texas....hopefully to melt down in 100 degree heat.

Moses_Scurry
08-09-2012, 07:18 PM
It's hard for me to get used to not having to care how Cleveland is doing on a day to day basis. It takes away a full 1/2 of my scoreboard watching experience.

guillensdisciple
08-09-2012, 08:35 PM
As I said earlier, I believe the Tigers are that stereotypical team that does well at home and poor on the road. That's why we'll have to take our bumps when they play at home, and take advantage when they're on the road. The Sox have to play well this weekend and I am almost certain they can leave this weekend with a 2 game lead at the least.

I have very little hope for the Tigers getting more than one win. Hell, I think they'll get swept over there.

GoSox2K3
08-11-2012, 05:39 PM
As I said earlier, I believe the Tigers are that stereotypical team that does well at home and poor on the road. That's why we'll have to take our bumps when they play at home, and take advantage when they're on the road. The Sox have to play well this weekend and I am almost certain they can leave this weekend with a 2 game lead at the least.

I have very little hope for the Tigers getting more than one win. Hell, I think they'll get swept over there.

They didn't look so bad against the defending AL champs on the road last night. Verlander is going for them tonight, so they have a really good shot at taking the series in Texas.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Texas just escaped a bases-loaded, one out jam in the 9th.

Tack one on here and do us a solid, Texas.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Tiggers load 'em with one out in the 9th at Texas, but fail to take the lead. End this thing now Rangers. 1-1 bottom nine.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-11-2012, 10:27 PM
2 walks to start bottom of ninth. Take advantage here Rangers !

WhiteSoxOnly
08-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Soto now up with one out. He played for the Cubs so don't expect much.

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Rangers win

WhiteSoxOnly
08-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Game over, thanks Texas !

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Always good when the Tigers lose a game Verlander starts. Sox stay up 2 in the loss column.

Soxman219
08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Safe for another day. Who wants the AL Central Crown!? Neither the Sox or Tigers at the moment.

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I like our chances tomorrow to pick up a game with Sale facing Colon and Porcello facing Darvish.

TDog
08-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Safe for another day. Who wants the AL Central Crown!? Neither the Sox or Tigers at the moment.

Are you suggesting that the White Sox would have won and the Tigers would have won if they had wanted to?

Darvish has not been a very good pitcher of late. He only has two wins since the All-Star break, and he has given up at least six runs in his last three and four of his last five starts. I don't expect the Rangers to win Sunday, and I'm concerned that Colon might have a good start.

doublem23
08-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Texas up 5-nil on Detroit now, 4th inning

PalehosePlanet
08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Are you suggesting that the White Sox would have won and the Tigers would have won if they had wanted to?

Darvish has not been a very good pitcher of late. He only has two wins since the All-Star break, and he has given up at least six runs in his last three and four of his last five starts. I don't expect the Rangers to win Sunday, and I'm concerned that Colon might have a good start.

Well, Darvish and The Rangers lead 5-0 going to the 4th, so has has an excellent chance at his 3rd W since the all-star break. Hopefully he gets it.

On the other side: Porcello getting rocked once again, proving that the White Sox are the only team he pitches well against.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 03:34 PM
6-1 now

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Cabrera with a 2-run double to make it 6-3.

FielderJones
08-12-2012, 04:27 PM
6 outs to go for a Texas win and a two game lead.

voodoochile
08-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Freaking kittens are chucking the ball all over the place now from the looks of Gamecast. Double steal followed by a WP and a throwing error and another WP and it's 8-3 Rangers.

SoxSpeed22
08-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Freaking kittens are chucking the ball all over the place now from the looks of Gamecast. Double steal followed by a WP and a throwing error and another WP and it's 8-3 Rangers.In that case, I hope Hawk's right when he said today, we will win this division because we catch the ball a heck of a lot better than Detroit.

SephClone89
08-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Boom. Rangers win.

Two games up.

Bucky F. Dent
08-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Tigers Lose!

guillensdisciple
08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Like I said. 2.0 up by the end of the week.

Noneck
08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Like I said. 2.0 up by the end of the week.

But its the beginning of the week today.

guillensdisciple
08-13-2012, 09:36 AM
But its the beginning of the week today.

But I made that comment yesterday :)

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Minnesota's up 5-1 on Detroit right now!!!

central44
08-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Minnesota's up 5-1 on Detroit right now!!!

Man, Detroit is trying to hand the Sox this division and we just won't take it.

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Man, Detroit is trying to hand the Sox this division and we just won't take it.
Detroit's a different team on the road, that's for sure.

JB98
08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
8-1 Twins now.

It appears the Sox might catch a break tonight. Another day off the schedule with nothing gained and nothing lost always favors the team in front.

JB98
08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
One other note on the Tigers: Anibal Sanchez was a terrible acquisition. He sucks.

Omar Infante has helped them and will continue to help them, but Sanchez can't pitch in the AL.

CoopaLoop
08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
A bad half season of Sanchez over 7 years of Turner. I said it when they acquired him it was a stupid trade.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Like something the Cubs would do. LOL.

Lip

SephClone89
08-14-2012, 08:23 AM
like something the cubs would do. Lol.

Lip

lol

doublem23
08-14-2012, 08:53 AM
One other note on the Tigers: Anibal Sanchez was a terrible acquisition. He sucks.

Sanchez wasn't necessarily a bad roll of the dice for a team that desperately, DESPERATELY needed pitching, but my god, the price they paid for him... Insane. Turner alone was probably more valuable than every other player traded for a veteran SP at the deadline combined. Definitely more than the whole package the Sox gave away to acquire Liriano, Youkilis, and Myers.

JB98
08-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Sanchez wasn't necessarily a bad roll of the dice for a team that desperately, DESPERATELY needed pitching, but my god, the price they paid for him... Insane. Turner alone was probably more valuable than every other player traded for a veteran SP at the deadline combined. Definitely more than the whole package the Sox gave away to acquire Liriano, Youkilis, and Myers.

I was initially concerned when the Tigers made the deal, but I think that was just because I heard so many media voices praising Detroit for making that move. When you look at Sanchez, you realize he was nothing more than a mid-rotation starter on a bad NL team. Arguably, the Tigers would have been better off just sticking Turner in their No. 5 slot, but I think they panicked when Turner had that one start against Anaheim where he just got shelled.

If you were to put Sanchez on the Sox roster, I don't think he'd even crack the rotation. As much as Gavin Floyd frustrates me, I believe I'd rather have him as my No. 5 than Sanchez. I suppose it's possible Sanchez could get hot the final six weeks of the season. He's had good stretches before in his career, but it's highly unlikely he'll be a difference-maker in the AL Central race.

SephClone89
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
And of course Detroit has a 4-0 lead over the Twins.

JB98
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
And of course Detroit has a 4-0 lead over the Twins.

4-4 now. Still only the fourth inning.

SephClone89
08-14-2012, 08:44 PM
5-4 Detroit, middle of the sixth.

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Detroit won, but all that really matters here is that the Sox did too, so no ground was lost. Another day's off the schedule, and the magic number is 45.

FielderJones
08-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Crap KC pitcher Jeremy Guthrie shut down the A's for seven innings on three hits and no runs. I guess the Sox aren't the only team that gets shut down by crap pitchers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_08_14_oakmlb_kcamlb_1&mode=box&c_id=cws

chisoxfanatic
08-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Crap KC pitcher Jeremy Guthrie shut down the A's for seven innings on three hits and no runs. I guess the Sox aren't the only team that gets shut down by crap pitchers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_08_14_oakmlb_kcamlb_1&mode=box&c_id=cws
I'm gonna say it. I see Kansas City as a team that is going to create a lot of havoc in a bunch of teams' postseason chances.

hawkjt
08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Sox are going to face the same three starters at KC as they did when KC was in Chicago....:?:

Mendoza,Chen and Guthrie...can they get them this time?

SephClone89
08-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Just noticed that the Tigers already won today.

PalehosePlanet
08-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Verlander at 105 pitches through 5 innings against The O's. O's lead so far 3-1.

SephClone89
08-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Prince just MURDERED a ball into right-center. 3-3 bottom of the 6th.

SephClone89
08-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Tigers rule out a return this season for Victor Martinez.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8279025/victor-martinez-detroit-tigers-return-season

voodoochile
08-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Kittens lose 7-5.

Hitmen77
08-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Kittens lose 7-5.

They blew a 5-0 lead and lost a series at home. I just hope this sends them on a tailspin. I'm not saying I think it will, I'm just hoping it will.

palehozenychicty
08-19-2012, 03:18 PM
The Orioles are hanging in there. Kudos to Showalter, because that team's rotation and defense have been shaky all year.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Thank God for small favors since the Sox seem incapable right now of doing it by themselves and taking control of things.

Lip

johnnyg83
08-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Six walks by Romero in two innings ... Tigers have "only" scored three though.

voodoochile
08-21-2012, 09:28 PM
I know it's not really a part of the race anymore but I haven't been following anyone but the Sox and Kittens recently and was curious about how far back the Toons were currently.

I had no idea they had fallen to 4th. They are currently 54-68. To put that in perspective, after winning the first game of the second half they were 45-41.

Wow...

Edit: Well with the second worst run differential in all of baseball, I guess the crash was always coming, but again... wow...

SOX ADDICT '73
08-21-2012, 11:51 PM
I know it's not really a part of the race anymore but I haven't been following anyone but the Sox and Kittens recently and was curious about how far back the Toons were currently.

I had no idea they had fallen to 4th. They are currently 54-68. To put that in perspective, after winning the first game of the second half they were 45-41.

Wow...

Edit: Well with the second worst run differential in all of baseball, I guess the crash was always coming, but again... wow...
Maybe I'm still showing the scars from 2005 when the Indians came back from 15.5 games down to climb within 1.5 games, but I scoreboard watch EVERY team in the AL Central on a daily basis. I obviously react more strongly to the wins and losses of the Tigers than, say, the Twins.

hawkjt
08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Romero walks the world vs the Tigers,and gives them a gift win.
Cooper,1st baseman,had a total brain cramp,ignoring the baserunner right next to him and trying to touch first base ahead of him instead,which opened up a 2 run inning for the Tigers which ended up being the winning margin...are the Jays mad at the Sox and giving these games away to the Tigers?

Other news: Tiger starter Doug Fister has a injury issue and will miss his next start. Long season.

voodoochile
08-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Kittens just won 3-2

aryzner
08-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Miguel Cabrera just left today's game against the Blue Jays in the 2nd inning with an injury of some sort. Not sure what it is exactly yet. Potentially could be bad news for the Tigers.

hawkjt
08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Miguel Cabrera just left today's game against the Blue Jays in the 2nd inning with an injury of some sort. Not sure what it is exactly yet. Potentially could be bad news for the Tigers.

Fielder and Miggy have been ironmen so far this year....they are due for an injury. Tiger fans think Miggy might have tweaked his ankle,which was already vulnerable.

Pujols pulled a muscle last nite,so he probably does not play vs the Tigers in Anaheim this weekend...only fair for Miggy to miss a game or two,right?

The Immigrant
08-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Sounds like Cabrera's got a bum wheel.

On a related note, this Toronto lineup is absolutely putrid. Omar Vizquel batting 6th? In the American League? In this century?

aryzner
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Sounds like Cabrera's got a bum wheel.

On a related note, this Toronto lineup is absolutely putrid. Omar Vizquel batting 6th? In the American League? In this century?

Jays look poised to get no-hit today, honestly.

The Immigrant
08-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Right ankle soreness for Cabrera. He is day-to-day.

mzh
08-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Gameday is saying that it's an ankle.

aryzner
08-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Edwin Encarnacion is having one hell of a season. 2-0 Jays in the top of the 4th.

PeteWard
08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
A Verlander at home loss would be big.

TDog
08-23-2012, 01:30 PM

Verlander has lost at home this season to the Rays and Yankees. His only other home start that the Tigers lost was a game against the Royals, which he left with the score tied. He hasn't been automatic at home, but in all but three games either he has outpitched the opposition or the Tigers have rallied late to win.

PeteWard
08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Verlander has lost at home this season to the Rays and Yankees. His only other home start that the Tigers lost was a game against the Royals, which he left with the score tied. He hasn't been automatic at home, but in all but three games either he has outpitched the opposition or the Tigers have rallied late to win.

I meant they are good at home at home and good with Verlander. The are bad on the road and so so without Verlander. Would be nice to see them drop this one.

Foulke You
08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Indeed. It would extend our lead to 2.5 games and give us one game in hand on Detroit. We aren't talking magic numbers yet, but a loss today brings us a step closer to it.

TDog
08-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I meant they are good at home at home and good with Verlander. The are bad on the road and so so without Verlander. Would be nice to see them drop this one.

Of course, everyone assumes Verlander will beat the Blue Jays at home and everyone assumes they will go into the weekend down by only 1.5 games. Losing such a game to fall three behind in the loss column would be big for the White Sox.

mzh
08-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Detroit ties it up in the bottom of the 8th on a wild pitch :angry:

Lip Man 1
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Typical Toronto.

Lip

Soxman219
08-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Typical Toronto.

Lip

What happened?

SOXPHILE
08-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Just watched the replay on MLB.com of Cabrera. It does look like he hurt his ankle when he was running towards and rounding first during the at bat, he was hobbling. Then, later when he was in the field and they took him out, the way he was walking, at least to me, it kind of looks like he hurt his back, with the way he was walking. It looked like he was trying to keep his back straight when he walked and not tweak something. Again, I'm only watching a replay on a computer, but it just struck me that way.

dwitt76
08-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Walk off win for Detroit. Lead at 1.5 :angry:

Soxman219
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Walk off win for Detroit. Lead at 1.5 :angry:

Just gotta keep winning our games.

Foulke You
08-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks for nothing Toronto. I don't wish injury on other players but if Miguel Cabrera sits for a couple weeks because of that ankle, I certainly won't shed a tear.

johnnyg83
08-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Tough loss.

They extend the game on a wild pitch and Austin Jackson makes one of the better catches I've seen to keep it tied in the 10th.

Don't rush back, Miggy! Make sure it's healed for the off-season.

Soxman219
08-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for nothing Toronto. I don't wish injury on other players but if Miguel Cabrera sits for a couple weeks because of that ankle, I certainly won't shed a tear.

Tiger fans said the same about Konerko.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2012, 04:22 PM
****ing Tigers...so much for not having any defense.

Lip

Foulke You
08-23-2012, 04:29 PM
****ing Tigers...so much for not having any defense.

Lip
To be fair, it was the ONE Tigers player on the diamond who is a plus defender that made the great catch.

Chez
08-23-2012, 04:52 PM
One of the nice things about being in first place is that you don't need to rely on teams like Toronto beating Detroit. Hell, you don't need to rely on anyone's help for that matter.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-23-2012, 04:55 PM
One of the nice things about being in first place is that you don't need to rely on teams like Toronto beating Detroit. Hell, you don't need to rely on anyone's help for that matter.

Yeah, you're not relying on them losing, but it's still nice if they do anyway.

balke
08-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this - but Vmart was shut down from his running program last week. So, he won't be coming back for the playoffs or anything. I was a little worried about that scenario.

Edit: I see SEPHCLONE89 posted it that day. Good to know though. They'll be even scarier next year if he is with the team.

Harry Potter
08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
https://twitter.com/beckjason
Leyland confirms Verlander will pitch Tuesday in KC, then next Sunday night against White Sox.

guillensdisciple
08-23-2012, 08:11 PM
https://twitter.com/beckjason

Again, something would have been seriously wrong with Leyland if he opted NOT to rearrange this line up. Well, **** verlander and **** the tigers. We'll find a way to win anyway.

hoosiersoxfan
08-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Again, something would have been seriously wrong with Leyland if he opted NOT to rearrange this line up. Well, **** verlander and **** the tigers. We'll find a way to win anyway.

That's the Sunday night game on ESPN and Sale is scheduled to pitch. Another chance to show the country that Sale is up there with the elite.

ClawsDeep
08-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Chris has not been very good against the Tigers in his two starts this year.

Hitmen77
08-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Cleveland has really fallen off big time. They now have the 2nd worst record in the AL.:o: They might fall behind Minnesota before long.

CHISOXFAN13
08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Cabrera won't miss any time.

mzh
08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Angels take a 2-0 lead in the 6th.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Final in Detroit:

Los Angeles of Anaheim 2, Detroit 1

PalehosePlanet
Tigers lose 2-1.

Frater Perdurabo
Tigers lose

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Tigers take the lead, 4-3. Come on, LAAAAAAA.

CHISOXFAN13
08-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Tigers take the lead, 4-3. Come on, LAAAAAAA.

All five runs after two outs.

The Angels are a bunch of underachievers.

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Tigers win.

mzh
08-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Tigers win. Again. Thanks for nothing, LAA team of destiny.

Best thing we can do is keep frustrating them by matching win for win. Next weekend, I think it's about time Scherzer and Porcello came back to earth.

palehozenychicty
08-26-2012, 04:11 PM
All five runs after two outs.

The Angels are a bunch of underachievers.

Yeah. How they are losing games is beyond me. Go back to Anaheim Angels, Mr. Moreno.

guillensdisciple
08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Tigers win. Again. Thanks for nothing, LAA team of destiny.

Best thing we can do is keep frustrating them by matching win for win. Next weekend, I think it's about time Scherzer and Porcello came back to earth.

At home, the tigers are tough to beat. On the road, meh.

Just take what you get.
I was worried when I saw who we were playing and saw that the tigers had 9 games at home. We are 2.5 up and at worst will be 1.5 up by the end of the day. I'll take it.

We're also a good road team so I expect something to give next weekend.

S-SideTrifecta
08-26-2012, 07:36 PM
So who does Detroit fans cheer for in our next series, Baltimore or Sox? Detroit can't afford Baltimore winning a bunch of games, it keeps them right in the hunt for the wild card.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2012, 07:50 PM
I suspect Tigers fans are thinking like this, 'let the O's beat them. We (meaning the Tigers) have won seven of the last nine against the Sox, have Verlander going in the series and the Sox have lost nine of the last 10 in Detroit...'

Lip

S-SideTrifecta
08-26-2012, 11:43 PM
I suspect Tigers fans are thinking like this, 'let the O's beat them. We (meaning the Tigers) have won seven of the last nine against the Sox, have Verlander going in the series and the Sox have lost nine of the last 10 in Detroit...'

Lip

Yeah Detoit fans don't have a lot of smarts in the brain dept.

Marqhead
08-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Verlander getting rocked in KC.

Hitmen77
08-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Verlander getting rocked in KC.

....and, amazingly, the Tigers aren't getting shut down by Catfish Mendoza.

kittle42
08-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Tigers may still manage to win a game where Verlander gave up 7 early.

JB98
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Tigers and Royals tied 8-8 in the eighth.

Lip Man 1
08-28-2012, 10:14 PM
****ing wonderful.

Lip

WhiteSoxOnly
08-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Moustakas comes thru.

The Immigrant
Royals back on top.

WisSoxFan
9-8 Royals. I bet Lip doesn't respond to the Royals taking the lead.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Let's go Royals, close 'em out.

The Immigrant
08-28-2012, 10:33 PM
This prick closer for the Royals is giving it right back.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-28-2012, 10:34 PM
This prick closer for the Royals is giving it right back.

Yep, walk and a wild one. He could make it in our bullpen.

The Immigrant
08-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Delmon Young just hit a three run homerun.

kevingrt
08-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Delmon Young just hit a three run homerun.

It was foul.

rookie
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
It still says Instant Replay on Gameday. It was foul?

The Immigrant
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
It was foul.

It looks fair on the replay. Hopefully they rule it inconclusive.

kevingrt
08-28-2012, 10:40 PM
It still says Instant Replay on Gameday. It was foul?

On replays the ball disappears foul and fair for both angles. So confusing. Cannot be overturned.

FOUL BALL!

soxnut1018
Looks foul to me.

The Immigrant
Foul ball!

The Immigrant
08-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Game over! Royals win.

kevingrt
And that ball game is OVAH!

9-8 Royals win. Thanks kids.

soxnut1018
Another day where the lead stays the same. Phew!

Soxman219
Still 2 up, seems Detroit has just as much problems as we do.

yazz32
08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Royals = Spoyals. Seriously the Royals are playing spoilers for Detroit and the Sox..

LoveYourSuit
08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
My heart stopped on the flyout after by Young.

2 close calls.

Go KC ! :bandance:

JB98
08-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Detroit loses to Kansas City on a day where Verlander started. We'll take that break.

TDog
08-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Can you imagine the postgame thread if that had been the White Sox who lost that game in Kansas City tonight?

That was an epic game for the Royals, who are a different team than the one the Tigers beat consistently at the beginning of the year. To go down 3-0 to Verlander, come back with to tie it after the first two hitters go down in the first, get out to a bigger lead and eventually lose the lead only to take it back with two outs in the bottom of the eighth, and hold on despite coming so close to losing it in the ninth is a fun night for the home team fans. Being a baseball fan isn't only about following your team when they're winning. I grew up supporting White Sox teams that didn't contend, but I still derived great joy from games like this (and the Blue Jays' win over the Yankees last night).

Obviously, Young had to know the ball was foul. Unless he is on a strong sedative, he of all people, would have been much more aggitated if coming up the line, he had seen the ball stay fair.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like everything is going right for the Tigers this year. The Royals look like they are sending a message that a trip to KC late in this baseball season can mess you up. Not tht KC will catch the Tigers this year, but I would like to see them continue to try.

The funny thing is, the only other game the Royals won against the Tigers this year was a Verlander start and no-decision, although tonight Verlander pitched plenty well enough to lose.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2012, 12:06 AM
My God the Royals for once don't roll over and drop dead at the feet of the Tigers...what's next the Sox actually winning a game in Baltimore? :o:

Lip

GoSox2K3
08-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Can you imagine the postgame thread if that had been the White Sox who lost that game in Kansas City tonight?

It's easy if you try.:wink:

MISoxfan
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
It's easy if you try.:wink:

excellent

hawkjt
08-29-2012, 02:48 PM

That was an epic game for the Royals, who are a different team than the one the Tigers beat consistently at the beginning of the year. To go down 3-0 to Verlander, come back with to tie it after the first two hitters go down in the first, get out to a bigger lead and eventually lose the lead only to take it back with two outs in the bottom of the eighth, and hold on despite coming so close to losing it in the ninth is a fun night for the home team fans. Being a baseball fan isn't only about following your team when they're winning. I grew up supporting White Sox teams that didn't contend, but I still derived great joy from games like this (and the Blue Jays' win over the Yankees last night).

Obviously, Young had to know the ball was foul. Unless he is on a strong sedative, he of all people, would have been much more aggitated if coming up the line, he had seen the ball stay fair.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like everything is going right for the Tigers this year. The Royals look like they are sending a message that a trip to KC late in this baseball season can mess you up. Not tht KC will catch the Tigers this year, but I would like to see them continue to try.

The funny thing is, the only other game the Royals won against the Tigers this year was a Verlander start and no-decision, although tonight Verlander pitched plenty well enough to lose.

Nailed it. This Royals team is not going to rolling over for anyone the rest of the way...they are flat out dangerous. Fans kept whining about how the Tigers have the easier schedule down the stretch than the Sox,but that includes a couple of series with these Royals,and they are going to be playing loosely,with no pressure.

To me,KC is the worst team to play late in the year. They have a young,talented team that has been up all year,so they will not be playing many call-ups,but they are hungry and eager to spoil the dreams of the top teams.

I am glad that the Tigers get Mendoza,Chen and Guthrie,like the Sox did twice recently...despite Mendoza's flame-out last nite, these guys are in a groove.

Moses_Scurry
08-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Tiger fans are griping about Bruce Chen and how he always dominates them. They're calling him "Cy Chen" and "Sandy Chenfax".

This makes me feel a little happier today.

soxnut1018
08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Tigers stand a lead off Cabrera double. Bottom 7 KC still up 1-0.

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Cy Chen with a 1-2-3 8th; still 1-0 KC.

The Immigrant
08-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Ned Yost better let him pitch the 9th.

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Ned Yost better let him pitch the 9th.

Maybe Dirks to lead-off, but no way in hell he'll face Cabrera.

The Immigrant
08-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Maybe Dirks to lead-off, but no way in hell he'll face Cabrera.

Holland looked like crap last night.

mzh
08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Never thought I'd miss Joakim Soria, but Holland sure loves making things interesting against these guys.

I'd at least like that to carry over to the series vs. the Sox!

soxnut1018
08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
What a catch by Dyson!

mzh
08-29-2012, 09:29 PM
****ing A. This is more stressful for us than the maybe 10,000 people in Kaufman Stadium :tongue:.

aryzner
08-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Royals win.

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Yes, KC wins! 3 game lead.

WisSoxFan
3 Up with 33 to play!

mzh
Tigers lose!

3 up.

FielderJones
Royals win again! 3 game lead!

Saracen
08-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Bruce Chen! :bandance:

jdm2662
I'm surprised a high quality team like the Tigers could go down against Bruce Chen. Only a team like the White Sox lose to that guy.

Soxman219
Thanks KC.:smile:

The Immigrant
08-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Garbage team! DURRRRR.

kittle42
08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm surprised a high quality team like the Tigers could go down against Bruce Chen. Only a team like the White Sox lose to that guy.

The Tigers announcers were even talking about how "every year, the KC Royals seem to stand in the Tigers' way."

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2012, 09:49 PM
The Tigers announcers were even talking about how "every year, the KC Royals seem to stand in the Tigers' way."
How is that the case when the Tigers have won a pretty healthy number of games against them?

DSpivack
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
How is that the case when the Tigers have won a pretty healthy number of games against them?

The White Sox are 4-8 vs. the Royals this season. The Tigers are 7-2. :scratch:

kittle42
08-29-2012, 10:00 PM

Just proving that perception can trump fact, as it does on this board a lot.

jdm2662
08-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Well, last year, the Tigers went 11-7 against KC. That was actually the worst record they had against the division. Yes, they dominated the division that much last season.

In 2010, they went 10-8 against KC

2009? The year they pissed the division away to the Twins? 9-9

2008, KC dominated them, but the Tigers stunk that year.

2007, 11-7. Of course, the 6-12 record against the 90 loss Sox team didn't help...

The kicker is 2006. The Tigers went 14-4 against KC. The last three losses came in a sweep by KC on the last series of the weekend. Which, you guessed, conceded the divison to the Twins.

slavko
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Holland. Makes me appreciate Reed. Scary. Lucky.

jdm2662
08-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Just proving that perception can trump fact, as it does on this board a lot.

Instant gratification is around too much in society. Since today was a great day for the Sox, they are awesome, again.

KC won the last two games simply because things normally balance somewhat in the game of baseball. When, the crappy teams win at least 40% of their games, it's going to happen.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Woo Hoo...the garbage Royals show they can actually win a game against someone other than the Sox.

That's a good night!

Lip

JB98
08-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Cy ****ing Chen! BOOM! :bandance:

SoxSpeed22
08-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Guess we're not the only ones getting kicked in the ass in KC. They might have a big say in how this goes.
Also, is Cleveland ever going to win another game against the AL West?

TDog
08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Holland. Makes me appreciate Reed. Scary. Lucky.

As well as Chen was pitching, I was a bit disappointed to see Holland come in for the ninth, against pretty much the same hitters he faced Tuesday night. As much as I would like to see the Tigers lose in 20-plus innings tommorow, I hope the Royals win by a margin that doesn't require their closer to make an appearance.

The MLB network cut in for the ninth, and the Tigers color man was saying that once again this season the Royals are standing in the way of where the Tigers want to be, which is a perspective that you don't get at WSI.

TheOldRoman
08-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Damn Delmon Young for growing a mustache. It turned one of the most unlikable people in baseball into borderline cool. I can't hate him while he has it.

aryzner
08-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Damn Delmon Young for growing a mustache. It turned one of the most unlikable people in baseball into borderline cool. I can't hate him while he has it.

It's okay. I can and I'll do the hating for you.

It's hard for me to believe there's a guy like that in MLB and somehow AJ Pierzynski is voted most hated player.

DonnieDarko
08-30-2012, 07:48 AM
The kicker is 2006. The Tigers went 14-4 against KC. The last three losses came in a sweep by KC on the last series of the weekend. Which, you guessed, conceded the divison to the Twins.

Like the Sox almost did in 2008?

So what I'm getting from this is that Detroit dominates the Royals through the middle of the season, but when the schedule gets into the later stages of the season, they choke against KC?

Works for me! How many more games does Detroit have against the Royals?

aryzner
08-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Works for me! How many more games does Detroit have against the Royals?

Including tonight, they have 8 games left against the Royals.

The White Sox have 6 games left, 3 in Chicago and 3 in Kansas City.

While the Royals' pitching isn't really all that great (and I realize it looked like the exact opposite last night), they have a bunch of guys who can hit. I don't understand why so many think that Kansas City is some kind of cakewalk. Those guys can hit:

Alex Gordon (MLB leader in doubles, by the way)
Salvador Perez
Billy Butler
Alcides Escobar

That's 4 guys who are having pretty good years. Even the guys who are having less than good years kind of scare me, like Hosmer and Moustakas. It's not just some lineup that you can pitch to with great ease.

The good news for the Sox is that Chris Getz, who apparently hits both Sale and Liriano really well, is out with a broken thumb, probably for the rest of the season.

cws05champ
08-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Including tonight, they have 8 games left against the Royals.

The White Sox have 6 games left, 3 in Chicago and 3 in Kansas City.

While the Royals' pitching isn't really all that great (and I realize it looked like the exact opposite last night), they have a bunch of guys who can hit. I don't understand why so many think that Kansas City is some kind of cakewalk. Those guys can hit:

Alex Gordon (MLB leader in doubles, by the way)
Salvador Perez
Billy Butler
Alcides Escobar

That's 4 guys who are having pretty good years. Even the guys who are having less than good years kind of scare me, like Hosmer and Moustakas. It's not just some lineup that you can pitch to with great ease.

The good news for the Sox is that Chris Getz, who apparently hits both Sale and Liriano really well, is out with a broken thumb, probably for the rest of the season.

Not to mention Moostakas and Hosmer (who has turned it around the last month). KC scares the heck out of me...

jdm2662
08-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Like the Sox almost did in 2008?

Well, the Twins lost four of their six games against KC in the dome that year, including the final weekend. Yet, they still whined they had to play in Chicago for the tie-breaker.

On another note, KC is 16-11 in August. They had a terrible April and July, but have been over .500 in the other months. As much as I can't stand Hawk, I do agree with him it matters when you play a team.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2012, 09:40 PM
KC is 1 inning away from sweeping the Tigers!

The Immigrant
08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Thank you, KC. Ballgame!

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Detroit now has to sweep us this weekend in order to tie us! We won't walk away from Detroit trailing this division! Nice!

We're not the only team KC can sweep at home! That's nice to know.

Soxman219
KC helped us greatly, TIME TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS!

rookie
Whoop whoop! Now let's take care of business this weekend!

voodoochile
THANK YOU ROYALS!!!

:sweep

guillensdisciple
Wow, Detroit might live to due these past three games.

If the sox win the series, we are 4 games up with a month to play and all games in Detroit gone.

Wow, what a twist.

jdm2662
08-30-2012, 09:56 PM
I can't believe there are other teams that lose to the Royals. How can a guy like Miguel Cabrera not come through in the ninth inning and hit into a DP???? The Tigers just aren't Chicago tough.

PalehosePlanet
08-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Thank you, KC. Ballgame!

Yep, 1 run on 12 hits for the Tigers, and Cabrera hits into the game ending GIDP w/runners on 1st and 2nd.

jdm2662
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow, Detroit might live to due these past three games.

If the sox win the series, we are 4 games up with a month to play and all games in Detroit gone.

Wow, what a twist.

Or, they could've gotten over .500 before the Fourth of July, too. That's what's going to hurt them more than anything else. Every game counts the same.

They weren't going to steam roll the Royals all season. The law of averages was going to catch up eventually. Hell, the Royals were much crappier in 2005. The Sox won their first ten meetings, but ended up losing five of the last eight that season.

guillensdisciple
08-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Or, they could've gotten over .500 before the Fourth of July, too. That's what's going to hurt them more than anything else. Every game counts the same.

I agree, I just think that this might be a momentum kill in the race.

Well, if the sox take advantage.

asindc
08-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I can't believe there are other teams that lose to the Royals. How can a guy like Miguel Caberea not come through in the ninth inning and hit into a DP???? The Tigers just aren't Chicago tough.

Detroit was 1-19 w/RISP in the series against KC's "garbage" pitchers. :smile:

aryzner
08-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Okay so I admit to checking out the Tigers forums every now and then. I remember I did it after the Sox got swept by the Royals, they were laughing and calling the Sox crappy. It's no longer so funny, is it?

Some of us here have been talking about how dangerous the Royals are right now and this is proof. They are no cakewalk.

JB98
08-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Catfish ****ing Guthrie! BOOM! :bandance:

jdm2662
08-30-2012, 10:05 PM
I agree, I just think that this might be a momentum kill in the race.

Well, if the sox take advantage.

Meh, that stuff is overrated. They are professional athletes and baseball trends change about as often as the wind blows. You've been harping on the Tigers for being crappy on the road for quite some time. Even if the Sox don't win a game this weekend, it's not the end of the season.

Although, it would be better if they won some games. :tongue:

KenBerryGrab
08-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Nobody tell Lip. It'll blow his narrative.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2012, 12:36 AM
Anything you say Ken. :rolleyes:

The Sox caught an incredibly lucky break from the baseball gods...they damn well better take advantage.

You don't get these breaks twice.

Just don't get swept this weekend.

Lip

kittle42
08-31-2012, 12:47 AM

The Sox caught an incredibly lucky break from the baseball gods...they damn well better take advantage.

Lip

Ever the optimist.

delben91
08-31-2012, 07:14 AM

Lip

This is my favorite post of all time.

We should assume Detroit won't lose multiple games in a row the rest of the year, since these breaks 'don't happen twice.'

I suppose Detroit also hasn't lost 3 consecutive games at any previous point this season either, otherwise that would've made this past series against KC an example of 'twice' but that's impossible. :rolling:

asindc
08-31-2012, 08:10 AM

Lip

Just like Detroit "caught an incredibly lucky break from the baseball gods" when Baltimore took 3 of 4 from the Sox this week. Speaking of incredibly lucky breaks, the Sox apparently caught another when Seattle swept the Tigers earlier this season in Detroit. Seems that the baseball gods are being generous with the "incredibly lucky breaks" this season so far.

Lip, if a Detroit fan had posted "The Sox caught an incredibly lucky break from the baseball gods...," we would rightfully accuse him of trolling.

kittle42
08-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Lip, if a Detroit fan had posted "The Sox caught an incredibly lucky break from the baseball gods...," we would rightfully accuse him of trolling.

Seriously, Lip. Do you even enjoy following the Sox, or do you consider it a life burden? Take an objective look once in a while, and realize there are other fanbases whose perspective might shed some light on your own.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2012, 10:57 AM
I can't speak for Lip, but I can understand his pessimism.

He's lived through a lot of "close, but no cigar" Sox seasons, and when you've had that many disappointments, it's easy to think failure is just around the corner.

The 2005 squad was the best we've ever seen, and this team hasn't yet lived up to that standard. They also have shown a few more flaws than the 2005 team, specifically in the bullpen and the ability to manufacture runs when the homers aren't flying.

The 2012 team might yet win it all, but if so it would be a triumph of hope over experience.

TDog
08-31-2012, 11:38 AM

He's lived through a lot of "close, but no cigar" Sox seasons, and when you've had that many disappointments, it's easy to think failure is just around the corner.

The 2005 squad was the best we've ever seen, and this team hasn't yet lived up to that standard. They also have shown a few more flaws than the 2005 team, specifically in the bullpen and the ability to manufacture runs when the homers aren't flying.

The 2012 team might yet win it all, but if so it would be a triumph of hope over experience.

I certainly understand the pessimism. And there are things I would change about this White Sox team if I could. The offense, I believe, is very vulnerable to unfavorable matchups. The No. 3 hitter is hitting barely above the Mendoza, is the worst-hitting regular with runners in scoring position and is having the second-worst OBP year of his career. The best left-handed hitter on the team could be wearing down under the grind of catching so many games. The bullpen is prone to inconsistency, in some cases because of inexperience, in a couple because of overwork, leaving the manager to have a tendency to stay too long with his starters. Among starters, I have feared Quintana would cease to be very effective, not because of innings or pitches thrown, but because I fear the league will figure him out, and I hope Thursday isn't a sign of that.

But if you follow a baseball team, even if you grew up pessimistic, the enjoyment comes in the optimism that exists in hope. At one extreme, the White Sox pessimist seems to derive his joy not from the thrill of the ride, not from the hope the contending-but-no championship ride generates, but from the satisfaction of being right when your team fails. As Benjamin Franklin is credited with pragmatically saying, an optimist is constantly disappointed, but the pessimist is occasionally pleasantly surprised.

But if you're following the White Sox, who are having a very good season despite their flaws, the pessimists can be annoying.

delben91
08-31-2012, 11:46 AM

I understand what you're saying. However, I do get the feeling from several on this board, that being in first place in late August (and they'll be in first place on 1 September too) is the worst position to be in. I just don't understand that, isn't it the goal to be in first, not a burden to have to deal with being in first?

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2012, 12:12 PM
T-Dog: I too would change a few things. For instance, I would swap Rios and Dunn in the lineup. I would platoon AJ and Flowers to take advantage of their L/R splits and give AJ more rest before the postseason, when AJ would start every game. With September's expanded roster including a third catcher, I would let AJ pinch hit on days when he doesn't start.