PDA

View Full Version : Playing For Next Season

voodoochile
07-26-2002, 03:16 PM
Does anyone here still believe the Sox can catch the Twins?

If not, shouldn't the Sox be trading off players they don't want or expect to keep next year and playing some young kids? Maybe we'll even see Crede or Borchard for a while this year. It would be nice if every high-priced veteran that the Sox wanted to dump would bring an All-Star waiting to bloom in return, but in reality, the Sox are going to have to take what they can get. It's a buyers market right now.

IMO, they should dump as much as they can and play as much rookie talent as they can so next years team doesn't have to start from scratch trying to get used to MLB pitching, hitting etc.

Cheryl
07-26-2002, 03:26 PM
I think they should forfeit the rest of the season and everyone go home.

kermittheefrog
07-26-2002, 03:41 PM
I thought we'd have a slight chance at the Twins if we hadn't traded Durham.

duke of dorwood
07-26-2002, 03:53 PM
I think we did forfeit the season by keeping Manuel.

hold2dibber
07-26-2002, 03:58 PM
I have no problem simply dumping Clayton for whatever you can get, because then you can get Crede up here and playing 3B and you save a little bit of dough. In fact, I'd be happy to deal Clayton and agree to pay all of the remainder of his salary, if we can get a half decent prospect (or a third of a decent prospect, or a coupon for free custard). Alomar - I don't know how much we still owe him, but its not like we have anybody knocking down the door in AAA at the C spot, so I don't mind keeping him around (unless the cost saving of jettisoning him is significant). I would rather not deal Lofton, however. I think, despite his lackluster results, that he plays the game the right way, and could prove a valuable teacher to Willie Harris. Plus, he's not making a ton, so moving him wouldn't save much $ and I highly doubt that we could get much in return for him.

The only good thing about finally giving up, is I don't get nearly as freaked out when they lose. And I'll still go to lots of games, because I love being out at the park and because there are still guys left on this team that I want to root for (Frank, Buehrle, PK, Maggs, C Lee, Tony G., Garland, Foulke, and many others).

LongDistanceFan
07-26-2002, 04:12 PM
based on the events of this past yr, knowing full well we will never be able to get rid of clayton. we should waive him, send him down to the minors or just release him..........

FarmerAndy
07-26-2002, 04:17 PM
Crede needs to be here, and playing every day. We should be looking to see what we can get for Valentin. I know everybody would rather see Royce traded, but face it, nobody wants him. On the other hand, we might be able to get something for Valentin. Either way, I don't want to see either of them here next year.

If Lenny doesn't move Valentine and Clayton before the deadline, I would rather have moved Valentine to 2B, and brought up Crede instead of Willie Harris.

I would try to sign Lofton to a 1-year extention. We got him for cheap, and his value hasn't gone up this year. Even if we go young, it would be nice to have a veteran leader like him around. Plus, Joe Borchard isn't ready. (he said so himself.)

Trade Carlos Lee now. He seems to be hitting better, so he might have some value. Don't wait until he slumps again and has no value.

I don't think any team would want Sandy Alomar, but I don't think he's hurting us that much. Not that he's helping us that much either, but what could you get for him? I say let him finish the season.