PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-1 Pass the defibrillator; SOX 3 MIN 2 Postgamer

thomas35forever
08-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Can't these games be easier?

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Just had to make it interesting...

LoveYourSuit
08-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Reed does not convince me as a closer.

BigHurt3515
08-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Again I will ask, when was the last time Reed has gotten a 1-2-3 inning for a save?? I can't remember him ever doing it

harwar
08-01-2012, 04:03 PM
just win baby ..

WisSoxFan
I tip my cap to the Sox. That was a hellacious road trip and to come home up 3 games (pending Kitties this evening) and gut out another win today...:bandance: Nuff said.

thomas35forever
Reed does not convince me as a closer.
Yeah. I'm a bit afraid of what he could do in the postseason.

amsteel
When my heart explodes at age 27 the death certificate will read:
Cause of Death: Addison Reed

It shouldn't be that hard to win a series against the Twins.

Crestani
Reed is starting to remind me of Bobby Thigpen....Gets the first two guys easy and can't seem to put the third one away without drama..!!

Boondock Saint
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Time to give Reed a break from closing, let Myers do it for a bit, let Reed come in for one or two batters when you need an out in the seventh or eighth.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
I'll take blame for the 9th inning. When Reed got to 2 strikes on Doumit, I thought to myself, "I can't remember Reed having a 1-2-3 save in a month." Sure enough, it was the kiss of death. Seriously, he needs to stop with that ****. Most of the times you put yourself in those situations, it will come back to bite you in the ass.

The Sox should have, and very easily could have, went 6-0 on this roadtrip. Regardless, any 4-2 roadtrip which includes Texas is a success. Hopefully the guys get some rest tomorrow and get the bad defense out of their system.

amsteel
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Time to give Reed a break from closing, let Myers do it for a bit, let Reed come in for one or two batters when you need an out in the seventh or eighth.

You can't the man's job away if he's not losing games. If he starts blowing games, maybe.

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Let's hope sleeping in their own beds tonight and the off day tomorrow will help them play crisp defense this weekend. We will need to bring our A game against the very talented Angels, the pesky Royals (who always bring their A game against us) and the surprising Athletics.

hoosiersoxfan
Sox are 9-1 in their last 10 one run games. That loss coming on Monday night. Pretty impressive

Cangelosi CF
Is Orlando Hudson bad at bunting? He did move the runner over, but still...

Chez
08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Is it me or did Addison seem to be throwing a lot more off-speed pitches than normal? Sox finish the 16 of 19 on the road stretch at 10-9.

Boondock Saint
08-01-2012, 04:09 PM
You can't the man's job away if he's not losing games. If he starts blowing games, maybe.

I've been defending Reed for a while now, but with the way he's pitching of late, it's coming sooner rather than later. He's a rookie, and he could probably use a break from mandatory appearances when it's a save situation. We got Myers to stabilize the bullpen, let him do it.

LITTLE NELL
08-01-2012, 04:10 PM

Not yet, he is the closer for the future and you don't want him to lose his confidence. He is a rookie and will only get better, I hope.

On another note we are 10-9 after the break with one tough schedule and could be 3.5 games in front after tonight, I think this team is for real and has shown it has what it takes to win the division.

kittle42
08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Again I will ask, when was the last time Reed has gotten a 1-2-3 inning for a save?? I can't remember him ever doing it

July 17. He has 4 of them this season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=reedad01&t=p&year=2012

BigHurt3515
08-01-2012, 04:12 PM
July 17. He has 4 of them this season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=reedad01&t=p&year=2012

That really surprises me but glad to hear I thought wrong

BigHurt3515
08-01-2012, 04:13 PM
I'll take blame for the 9th inning. When Reed got to 2 strikes on Doumit, I thought to myself, "I can't remember Reed having a 1-2-3 save in a month." Sure enough, it was the kiss of death. Seriously, he needs to stop with that ****. Most of the times you put yourself in those situations, it will come back to bite you in the ass.

The Sox should have, and very easily could have, went 6-0 on this roadtrip. Regardless, any 4-2 roadtrip which includes Texas is a success. Hopefully the guys get some rest tomorrow and get the bad defense out of their system.

I did the same exact thing

Tragg
08-01-2012, 04:13 PM
He's fine for closing - he has the guts for it.
Can't put him in the middle of innings because he puts too many guys on base. But when he starts an inning clean, he's usually okay.

Soxman219
08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
After this 19-game stretch (pending if the Tigers lose), we're right back where we started at the break. Considering what happened during this stretch, I'm impressed. It's time to run away with this division. I believe the off day and the home-stand will benefit the Sox plenty.

Foulke You
08-01-2012, 04:19 PM
To be fair to Addison, that was pretty much a 4 out save he had to get combined with a poor choice by Rios to put him in a jam. The reason I say 4 outs is that I believe he had Valencia struck out. The appeal should have been strike 3 and then he paints a slider on the outside corner (that was called a strike all day) and the ump no calls it. Reed is an adventure but he gets the job done more often than not.

LoveYourSuit
08-01-2012, 04:20 PM
What a performance by Peavy today also.

Man, this guy is a horse.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I think a bit of today's 9th inning adventures are also to be blamed on Rios.

You really can't go diving for balls if you're playing No Doubles

guillensdisciple
08-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Just arrived to San Antonio with apparent news of bomb threats in the airport so I'm stalled here, but great news to see the sox grab another.

3 game lead, let's make it 3.5 and let's beat the angels at home this weekend.

palehozenychicty
08-01-2012, 04:28 PM

Exactly.

voodoochile
08-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Never a doubt. Great job by Jake and just enough offense. I admit Reed makes me a bit nervous, but so long as he keeps getting it done, sol good.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

PalehosePlanet
08-01-2012, 04:33 PM

Exactly. When it happened I thought not you too Alex in reference to the terrible defense the team has been been playing the last four games. Youk also got into the act in the 8th today which extended the inning to Mauer; and Jake's own bad defense cost him/us the first run.

The D needs to tighten up starting Friday night; hopefully after a day off and some rest they'll be back to normal.

Chez
08-01-2012, 04:36 PM
What a performance by Peavy today also.

Man, this guy is a horse.

Peavy was great. I love watching him battle out there. There was no way he was going to let the Twins score in the 8th.

beasly213
08-01-2012, 04:36 PM
If this game was in the metrodome the ball Rios dove for would have taken an extra 10 weird bounces resulting in an inside the park home run.

TDog
08-01-2012, 04:40 PM

July 17 in the 7-5 win over the Red Sox. Stuck out Aviles, got Punto to ground out and got Ellsbury to fly out. This was his third save opportunity since, and the second save opportunity since in which he came in at the beginning of an inning. He was charged with the blown save when he came in with two on and one out with a one-run lead against the Red Sox. As closers go, Reed is better than most, quite a bit better than many. Not tht I have any problem with closing by committee, going with the best available matchups.

This was a series win the White Sox had to grind out. The way they were playing, they could have been swept. It isn't like the Twins are the Port Ruppert Mundys, though. In Chicago, they were at the end of a roadtrip (and it showed in the third game), but they came home to sweep Cleveland and take advantage of White Sox mistakes to win the opener of this series. They have some good players and they can be competitive.

The Sox today didn't have a great offense clicking, but they got by on strong pitching and good fundamental baseball, for the most part. They got three runners to third with one out, an scored all three, two on productive outs and one on a bullet that Diamond got in the way of. Hudson failed to sacrifice a runner over to second, but when a wild pitch did the job for him, he did his job and got the runner over to third for De Aza to drive him in.

De Aza was the offensive star of the game and just behind Pierzynski in being the Sox offensive star in the series. When the Sox couldn't get him past second after his leadoff double in the sixth (Youkilis did his job in the first by getting De Aza to third for a Dunn sacrifice fly), I thought the game might be lost, but De Aza got a chance to break the tie two innings later.

That additional run would have made the ninth a bit less anxiety-ridden. Last night, Pierzynski was thoughtful enough to drive in two when he broke the tie to leave some margin for cloer-error.

A good roadtrip at a time when the Sox appear a bit road weary. I hope the four-game series in Texas takes something out of the Angels before Grienke faces the Sox Friday night.

SI1020
08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Just arrived to San Antonio with apparent news of bomb threats in the airport so I'm stalled here, but great news to see the sox grab another.

3 game lead, let's make it 3.5 and let's beat the angels at home this weekend. Hope that works out OK for everybody, so that you just have a story to tell. Be safe.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-airport-evacuationbre8701io-20120801,0,3671190.story

Noneck
08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
I know the outfield has to play no doubles in that situation but Rios had a legit shot to end the game. Even if he plays it as a single, Mastroianni will most likely steal 2nd after distracting Reed for the next at bat. It was the wrong decision by Rios but not that wrong.

guillensdisciple
08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Hope that works out OK for everybody, so that you just have a story to tell. Be safe.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-airport-evacuationbre8701io-20120801,0,3671190.story

Flight pilot just said three cars in the parking lot tested positive for explosives. Hopefully it's a false test.

Everything is good though, I've broke out the beers on the plane and reading wsi to catch up on white sox happines

TheVulture
08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Browsing Reed's B-R page, I couldn't help but notice batters in the seven through nine spots are batting .306 against him while one through six are batting .207.

Paulwny
08-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Agree, you're in a no doubles defense there is no excuse for allowing a ball to get behind you.

I know the outfield has to play no doubles in that situation but Rios had a legit shot to end the game. Even if he plays it as a single, Mastroianni will most likely steal 2nd after distracting Reed for the next at bat. It was the wrong decision by Rios but not that wrong.

I highly doubt that Rios ever thought about Mastroinni stealing a base when he attempted his catch.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
It's August any win is a good win regardless of how you get it.

Considering the Sox played 16 of the first 19 after the break on the road (another screw job by the schedule makers) I'll take 7-9. Easily could have been 8-8.

Get some rest and go after it on a home stand. Play a good team in the Angels, a bad team in the Royals and and A's team that must have a horseshoe stuck up their ass. I think they have 12 or 14 walk off wins this season...that's not normal.

Lip

Paulwny
08-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Reed is beginning to remind me of Oriole closer Don Stanhouse. Weaver nicknamed him "full back" because of the number of cigarettes Weaver smoked when Stanhouse was on the mound.

SCCWS
08-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I would assume that Reed is also being monitored similiar to Sale. Certainly a closer is not encountering a lot of innings but the strain on a young arm is certainly there. Hopefully his velocity is standing up as the appearances mount.

Bucky F. Dent
08-01-2012, 05:40 PM
For Gawd sakes, when was the last time we had a closer that didn't scare the living hell out of us midway through the 9th?

Roberto in '96?

JB98
08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Reed is not going to be demoted because he "almost lost."

Sure, we'd like to see some cleaner innings, but 18-for-21 in saves is fine.

MISoxfan
08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
For Gawd sakes, when was the last time we had a closer that didn't scare the living hell out of us midway through the 9th?

Roberto in '96?

Bobby Jenks for most of his White Sox career, Herm in '05, and Shingo in '04. I think we've had better luck with closers than most teams.

central44
08-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Considering the Sox played 16 of the first 19 after the break on the road (another screw job by the schedule makers) I'll take 7-9. Easily could have been 8-8.

Lip

I feel like this underrated. This has been a *brutal* stretch for the Sox, especially after getting swept--and to come away with a three game lead heading into a long stretch of home games?

That's a huge deal in my opinion. The Sox weathered a huge storm and now have a favorable schedule for the forseeable future.

kittle42
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Reed is not going to be demoted because he "almost lost."

Sure, we'd like to see some cleaner innings, but 18-for-21 in saves is fine.

Seriously - imagine how people would react if he actually did blow a save.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Gonzo told me he thinks Reed is going through a "dead arm" period himself right now. The difference is Robin now has options to use to close if he needs to.

Lip

JB98
08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Seriously - imagine how people would react if he actually did blow a save.

Also, I'm not aware of any Sox reliever who dominates on a consistent basis. It would be nice if the Sox had Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman in his prime, but they do not. They have four or five relievers who are solid, but not great, and Reed is the best of that bunch. It's his job to lose, and he's done nothing to lose it, IMO.

JB98
08-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Gonzo told me he thinks Reed is going through a "dead arm" period himself right now. The difference is Robin now has options to use to close if he needs to.

Lip

That would explain why he's been throwing so many changeups lately.

balke
08-01-2012, 06:36 PM

8th in WHIP for AL closers. Not good, nothing to cry about.

I think any other Sox team in past years woud've lost this lead after Rios made that defensive miscue.

hawkjt
08-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I did not think that Reed threw enough offspeed last nite and so today he threw some very nice changeups. I think they wanted to have him change his pattern after last nite.
He is hanging tough,with the eye of the tiger...if we needed a closer tomorrow, I would say go with Meier,but Addison is still getting it done when he is rested.

Tyler Flowers had a big day(2 hits,rbi,run) which was huge with only him,DeAza,Alex and Youk contributing offensively today. But ,Diamond is their best,and we beat him.
Jake was studly today. One earned in 8 innnings...I was concerned when he talked Robin into staying in the 8th,but he gotter done.

This was a hellacious post-all star stretch,and the Sox survived...intact,cept for their rotation.
Now,tho, they face the best team in baseball(according to the experts) Angels,and the hottest team in baseball,A's, and our pests, the Royals.

It seems like a relief to come home,but with that schedule...no breaks.
I think Sox fans will be out in force,and so home cooking could help blunt these teams momentum.
Angels are scary right now.
A's also.

It seems like in the AL,the challenges never stop coming.
This homestand is yet another one.
One game at a time...keep plugging,Sox.

Noneck
08-01-2012, 06:47 PM

Lip

If this is the case, he should not be pitching. Sale got by the last start using his wits but doubt he could do that again and thats why is on an extended rest. I hope the Sox do the same with Reed.

oldgrouch
08-01-2012, 07:16 PM
After this 19-game stretch (pending if the Tigers lose), we're right back where we started at the break. Considering what happened during this stretch, I'm impressed. It's time to run away with this division. I believe the off day and the home-stand will benefitinst the Sox plenty.

Me thinks you better cross your fingers. We have not done well against
Greinke or KC or Oakland.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Roberto in '96?

Didn't Jenks set a record for consecutive outs made at one point ('08, maybe)?

Marqhead
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
If Myers finishes 16 more games his option vests for $10M next year, I doubt Reed will be leaving the closer's role anytime soon. Hopefully he can reign in the theatrics down the stretch, but he's done a good job this year.

voodoochile
08-01-2012, 07:55 PM
If Myers finishes 16 more games his option vests for $10M next year, I doubt Reed will be leaving the closer's role anytime soon. Hopefully he can reign in the theatrics down the stretch, but he's done a good job this year.

Means they could try to ride Reed as long as possible and probably use Myers down the stretch if they had to. Unlikely he'll save more than 8 games in September. They might be able to go to him now actually.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Means they could try to ride Reed as long as possible and probably use Myers down the stretch if they had to. Unlikely he'll save more than 8 games in September. They might be able to go to him now actually.

Probably a dumb question, but would potential play-off numbers count towards his option?

voodoochile
08-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Probably a dumb question, but would potential play-off numbers count towards his option?

No clue.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Didn't Jenks set a record for consecutive outs made at one point ('08, maybe)?Yes, that was in the miserable 2007 season. Buehrle broke his record two years later when he was 3 1/3 innings away from a second consecutive perfect game.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Probably a dumb question, but would potential play-off numbers count towards his option?No.

slavko
08-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Saddest thread imaginable for a team that had two come-from-behind wins against a hot team looking for revenge after we swept them. Whole lot of come-from-behind wins this year.

I love White Sox fans, but we're gloomier than we need to be most of the time. Get happy! :)

palehozenychicty
08-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Saddest thread imaginable for a team that had two come-from-behind wins against a hot team looking for revenge after we swept them. Whole lot of come-from-behind wins this year.

I love White Sox fans, but we're gloomier than we need to be most of the time. Get happy! :)

For real. Take them wins and run.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Didn't Jenks set a record for consecutive outs made at one point?
14 appearances in a row, 41 batters did not reach base. Man, were we spoiled.

I also seem to remember Shingo "Mr. Zero" Takatsu having a streak of 20-something consecutive batters retired in 2004.

voodoochile
08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Didn't Jenks set a record for consecutive outs made at one point ('08, maybe)?

Yes subsequently broken by Mark Buehrle after he took a perfect game into the 6th the next outing after his perfect game.

Brian26
08-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Is Orlando Hudson bad at bunting? He did move the runner over, but still...

I don't know if he can bunt, but that crap he pulled by coming over and trying to push Dunn out of the way to catch a pop-up at first base should be grounds for a Kangaroo Court session.

Brian26
08-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Reed is starting to remind me of Bobby Thigpen....Gets the first two guys easy and can't seem to put the third one away without drama..!!

Difference is that Thigpen could usually get a fastball by the batter. Not sure Reed can do that all of a sudden.

Brian26
08-01-2012, 11:47 PM

Eh, as soon as that ball hit the grass, it was a triple. Even if Rios played it on a hop, Mastroianni was coming in immediately to steal 2nd and then 3rd. That guy is John Cangelosi v.2012.

Brian26
08-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Never a doubt. Great job by Jake and just enough offense. I admit Reed makes me a bit nervous, but so long as he keeps getting it done, sol good.

Great job by Flowers and Jake today. Both Flowers and Peavy did a double fist pump when they got Mauer to pop out to end the 8th. Glad Ventura kept Jake in there instead of calling for Septimo.

Brian26
08-01-2012, 11:52 PM
If this game was in the metrodome the ball Rios dove for would have taken an extra 10 weird bounces resulting in an inside the park home run.

That happened to Baines in RF in '84 or '85. The ball took a crazy hop over his head when he charged it, ending the game with a Twins inside the park homer.

samurai_sox
08-02-2012, 01:28 AM
For real. Take them wins and run.

Seriously, I'm running with these wins as if I just robbed a bank.

October26
08-02-2012, 07:46 AM
When my heart explodes at age 27 the death certificate will read:
Cause of Death: Addison Reed

It shouldn't be that hard to win a series against the Twins.

:rolling: Reading your post this morning made me start laughing out loud. Thank you! Good thing I was at work yesterday and did not see Addison Reed pitch live. By the time I saw the replay of the 9th inning last night (on Comcast Encore), I was calm. I will say that the Twins have some good players and some pesky ones, too, who always seem to play the Sox tough. I'm just glad the Sox won the series.

I am happy! :bandance: Delirious, actually! I got to see the Sox sweep the Twins in Chicago last Wednesday (in-person) and then win the series against the Twins in Minny this week. :D:

tstrike2000
08-02-2012, 08:29 AM
During Cisco training I had the gamecast going on my phone during the 9th, which was almost a huge mistake. I was obviously distracted to see the double, a walk, a double steal and eventually the fly out.

kufram
08-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Although it was a little nervous in the ninth, Addison Reed got the save and made some good pitches. He didn't look as nervous as I did in my living room and that HAS to be good.

I'm sure all of this will pay dividends in the future. As the season progresses we're going to need guys that have been in nervous ninth innings before. Of course we'd all like it to be 3 up, 3 down, and easy but it feels all that much better when the last out comes!

SOXSINCE'70
08-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah. I'm a bit afraid of what he could do in the postseason.

And that MIGHT be the reason KW traded for Brett Myers. He HAS been in these situations before,and CAN get big outs when he has to. Reed is a rookie with 18 saves. Cut him a little slack. If you can take the good,you have to be able to handle the bad,IMO. God knows what my respirations will be like if they keep playing these one run games. My heart rate and blood pressure can go through the roof at times with the Sox.

But then, my dad taught me long ago that 1 run games are "White Sox baseball" at its best.

Tragg
08-02-2012, 01:49 PM
And that MIGHT be the reason KW traded for Brett Myers. He HAS been in these situations before,and CAN get big outs when he has to. Reed is a rookie with 18 saves. Cut him a little slack. If you can take the good,you have to be able to handle the bad,IMO. God knows what my respirations will be like if they keep playing these one run games. My heart rate and blood pressure can go through the roof at times with the Sox.

But then, my dad taught me long ago that 1 run games are "White Sox baseball" at its best.
I think Myers is similar. He's good enough when he starts with a clean inning, but his stuff is marginal (he needs to hit corners) and you don't want him as the guy to "put out fires". He's got the guts to close and pretty good control so he'll usually give up a hit in that 9th but not the run. And of course he has some ridiculous bonus that kicks in if he gets x# saves, so we'll probably keep him tied to the 8th inning.

Actually, I certainly think Reed has the chance to be much better than that as he does have some stuff. But he is just a rooked.

hawkjt
08-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Anyone remember how many messy saves that Valverde had last year for the Tigers? Pretty much all 50 of his saves were cliffhangers....nature of the beast.

PeteWard
08-02-2012, 04:01 PM
After this 19-game stretch (pending if the Tigers lose), we're right back where we started at the break. Considering what happened during this stretch, I'm impressed. It's time to run away with this division. I believe the off day and the home-stand will benefit the Sox plenty.

Nobody in the AL Central is capable of running away. It's going to be a gut-wrenching two months. Which is good!:bandance::bandance:

DonnieDarko
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
I actually think that's a bad thing. I mean, if it's "gut-wrenching" to us, imagine what it must be for the players. Going into the playoffs feeling like you just limped in by the hair of your chinny chin chin can't feel good. Especially when it looks like the AL East and MAYBE the AL West will have teams run away with it and get into the playoffs easily.

kittle42
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I'll take gut-wrenching over "I was over this team from before the season started," which was my attitude the first few months.

That said, if the Sox fail (and they better not!), I won't be completely disappointed as I would be in almost every other playoff run season I can think of simply because I had emotionally told myself that this team isn't really all that good.

voodoochile
08-02-2012, 05:58 PM
I'll take gut-wrenching over "I was over this team from before the season started," which was my attitude the first few months.

That said, if the Sox fail (and they better not!), I won't be completely disappointed as I would be in almost every other playoff run season I can think of simply because I had emotionally told myself that this team isn't really all that good.

Exactly given how bad most of us and the experts expected this season to be the Sox are giving us a great ride. More so than ever this year the journey is the destination. We're well into gravy covered icing at this point in time and I still want more...

kufram
08-02-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't care if they make the playoffs dragging their ragged bones behind them... just make the playoffs. This team is very hard to sweep, wins away from home (and now wins at home also), has power at the plate, enough speed, and great defense, and enough pitching, amongst many other attributes, that can beat everyone for at least a period of time.... say, a post-season. That doesn't mean it is going to happen, of course, but far stranger things have happened at sea.

We need a few things to go our way.... who doesn't? The Yankees win nothing by default.

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2012, 06:24 PM

Yeah, its seems like everytime we get to 10 games over we take a couple of steps backwards, 6 and 3 on this homestand would be nice. 7 and 2 would be better but LAA and Oakland are playing real good ball right now.

central44
08-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't care if they make the playoffs dragging their ragged bones behind them... just make the playoffs. This team is very hard to sweep, wins away from home (and now wins at home also), has power at the plate, enough speed, and great defense, and enough pitching, amongst many other attributes, that can beat everyone for at least a period of time.... say, a post-season. That doesn't mean it is going to happen, of course, but far stranger things have happened at sea.

We need a few things to go our way.... who doesn't? The Yankees win nothing by default.

Agreed. This team is a different beast than the 2008 team that was flawed in a lot of ways.

The 2012 Sox might not be overpowering in any one area, but they don't have many weaknesses either. The only one the comes to mind might be the bullpen, but as you said they have speed, offense (albeit sometimes streaky, can be high powered though), two aces and a deep rotation (i'll gladly take Sale, Peavy, and Quintana in a playoff series) and an elite defense.

You can't control offense. For all we know, the Yankee offense could go ice cold heading into October. Of the things we can control--pitching and especially defense--the Sox do as well as anyone. That's *awesome.*

JB98
08-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I actually think that's a bad thing. I mean, if it's "gut-wrenching" to us, imagine what it must be for the players. Going into the playoffs feeling like you just limped in by the hair of your chinny chin chin can't feel good. Especially when it looks like the AL East and MAYBE the AL West will have teams run away with it and get into the playoffs easily.

On the contrary, I think any playoff berth would be satisfying for this group of players. This team was picked to lose 90-plus games by almost everybody.

I guarantee they don't care how they get in, just as long as they get in. I also guarantee the players aren't as bothered by Reed's high-wire act as posters here are.

TDog
08-02-2012, 10:23 PM

The White Sox seemed to be limping into the playoffs in 2005, on the heels of a historic collapse. After they clinched a playoff berth the last week of the season while playing last-place Detroit, they swept the Indians, who were still in wild card contention when the series started. The White Sox had a gut-wrenching September and were matched against the previous season's World Series champions in the ALDS.

That didn't seem a problem, though.