PDA

View Full Version : Panic in Detroit?

doublem23
08-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Not exactly a rosy outlook from the hometown rag...

http://www.freep.com/article/20120801/COL08/308010120/Drew-Sharp-detroit-Tigers-batting-order-muddled-in-the-middle?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit Tigers

Jerko
08-01-2012, 08:34 AM
If they thought Sanchez and Infante were going to put them over the top, that's their problem.

dickallen15
08-01-2012, 08:45 AM
A week ago they sweep the Sox and everyone thinks they are going to run away with it.

Picking up Marlins is like picking up Cubs. Just asking for bad things to happen.

The Dude
08-01-2012, 09:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_League_Central

I didn't realize the Tigers won their first AL Central title last season... It's been all Sox, Twins and Indians since 94.

And this is my favorite quote
"The Chicago White Sox are the only team from the AL Central division to have won the World Series since the league realignment in 1994."
:gulp:

russ99
08-01-2012, 09:15 AM
I hope they don't go after Soriano, since Kenny would probably end up blocking it, and we might end up with that bum, akin to how we got Rios.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 09:17 AM
I hope they don't go after Soriano, since Kenny would probably end up blocking it, and we might end up with that bum, akin to how we got Rios.

I would be pretty stunned if anyone put in a waiver claim on Soriano.

asindc
08-01-2012, 09:18 AM

That is not how we got Rios. KW got Rios because he wanted him, period.

Domeshot17
08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Kenny is not stupid, he did not claim Rios as a block solely. It was actually an insanely strategic move... You have this guy with all-star talent who went from an all-star to garbage in a season, he is having lockeroom issues in Toronto, and we will take him, for nothing but his salary, if you just wan't a do over.

mahagga73
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM

I didn't realize the Tigers won their first AL Central title last season... It's been all Sox, Twins and Indians since 94.

"The Chicago White Sox are the only team from the AL Central division to have won the World Series since the league realignment in 1994."
yeah they were the wild card that year they lost in the World Series. Minny won by a game or so.

asindc
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Yeah, that would be desperate, but then I get the impression that there are those in Detroit, and not just the fans, who thought they would walk away with the division title this year. When Delmon Young is your 5th hitter and starting LF and you fielded only one guy at the start of the season who plays adequate defense, it struck me as blind optimism.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 09:28 AM
yeah they were the wild card that year they lost in the World Series. Minny won by a game or so.

Yeah, the Tigers lead the division most of the year in 2006, IIRC, but the Twins went on that crazy run and caught and passed them the last 2 days of the season.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Yeah, the Tigers lead the division most of the year in 2006, IIRC, but the Twins went on that crazy run and caught and passed them the last 2 days of the season.Yep. They tied the Tigers with three games left and had sole posession of first place for exactly one day - the last day of the season.

That is not how we got Rios. KW got Rios because he wanted him, period.Yeah, lots of people run with the KW as a bumbling clown meme, but it's not true. Some people suggested that he was shocked and angered when he found out afterwards he was stuck with Rios because he didn't think that could happen.:rolleyes: He knew the money Rios had due, and he knew that the Blue Jays would most likely give him Rios for nothing without eating any salary. Anyone who says KW got caught with his pants down here is either ignorant or lying out of their dislike for him. Also, there is no way in hell that ANYONE, let alone KW, claims Alfonso Soriano. The Cubs are probably willing to eat $20 million of that contract, and any GM claiming him should be fired the next day.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Also, there is no way in hell that ANYONE, let alone KW, claims Alfonso Soriano. The Cubs are probably willing to eat $20 million of that contract, and any GM claiming him should be fired the next day.

Definitely. I could still see Detroit making a run for Alfonso after he clears waivers, but there's no chance they take $40 million off the Cubs' hands. ****, if that happens, you'll hear champagne corks popping at Clark and Addison.

SephClone89
08-01-2012, 09:59 AM

The likely scenario is that he'd clear waivers and the Cubs could trade him, eating money.

ChiSoxFann
08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Yep. They tied the Tigers with three games left and had sole posession of first place for exactly one day - the last day of the season.

I remember someone on here called the Twins, "one-day champions." Fitting since they promptly got swept out of the playoffs by the A's, in typical Twins fashion.

asindc
08-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I remember someone on here called the Twins, "one-day champions." Fitting since they promptly got swept out of the playoffs by the A's, in typical Twins fashion.

With Frank leading the A's charge.:smile:

DumpJerry
08-01-2012, 10:44 AM

In 2006, the Tigers became the first MLB team to lost a division title to a team that was never in First Place during the entire season except for the one day it mattered.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2012, 11:26 AM
In 2006, the Tigers became the first MLB team to lost a division title to a team that was never in First Place during the entire season except for the one day it mattered.Had never been in first place by itself. The Twins were tied with the Tigers for three days and took sole posession of first place when the Tigers lost game 162 to the Royals and handed the Twins the division.

jcw218
08-01-2012, 11:27 AM

For the Sox to be awarded a waiver claim on Soriano if both the Tigers and White Sox were to put in a claim is if the Tigers were ahead in the standings at the time the claim was made.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

PaleHoser
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
The Sun-Times reports (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/14135782-573/alfonso-soriano-rejects-giants-but-theres-still-time-to-trade-him.html) that Soriano refused a trade to the Giants but would have approved a trade to the Dodgers.

Looking up from the bottom of the NL Central standings must be a nice view. I don't see him approving a trade to Detroit.

DumpJerry
08-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Had never been in first place by itself. The Twins were tied with the Tigers for three days and took sole posession of first place when the Tigers lost game 162 to the Royals and handed the Twins the division.
Gotcha.

Well, the 2006 Tigers were the first American League team in three years to lose a World Series game (the Red Sox swept in '04 and we all remember what happened in '05).

SI1020
08-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Gotcha.

Well, the 2006 Tigers were the first American League team in three years to lose a World Series game (the Red Sox swept in '04 and we all remember what happened in '05). There was some really great fielding by their pitchers in that WS.

Foulke You
08-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Definitely. I could still see Detroit making a run for Alfonso after he clears waivers, but there's no chance they take $40 million off the Cubs' hands. ****, if that happens, you'll hear champagne corks popping at Clark and Addison.
Yeah, absolutely no way the Tigers just claim Soriano. It would have to be a waiver trade and then Soriano would have to approve it. Plus, where would the Tigers play Soriano in their lineup? Putting him in LF would downgrade their bad defense even further and DH-ing him would prevent them from playing Quinton Berry in LF who has done pretty well for them. I'd be surprised if the Tigers got him but you never know.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Just my two cents.

Unless something very strange happens like if the Sox win seven in a row while Detroit loses six of eight, something like that...this division is going to come down to the remaining seven head to head meetings between the two.

Sox at Detroit for three, August 31 - September 2.
Detroit at Sox for four, September 10-13.

You can bet that Verlander will be starting a game in each series.

Detroit has won seven of the previous 11 games this year and seven of the last nine. (Sox won the first two meetings...)

If the Sox are still in the lead they just have to find a way to win three or four and they'll win it, in my opinion.

If they trail obviously they are going to have to do better than that and with Verlander 12-1 in his last 13 decisions against the Sox that's not going to be easy to do.

Plus the last 13 games of the year the Sox play the Angels, Cleveland and Tampa.

Detroit's last 13 are against Minnesota, Kansas City and Oakland.

I hope the Sox have a three or four games lead heading into the final two weeks. I don't want a repeat of 2008 where the Sox had to get help the final weekend from the Royals beating Minnesota twice to put them in a position to re-control their own destiny.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
There was some really great fielding by their pitchers in that WS.

Touche'. :D::D::yup::tiphat::tiphat:

Foulke You
08-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Just my two cents.

Unless something very strange happens like if the Sox win seven in a row while Detroit loses six of eight, something like that...this division is going to come down to the remaining seven head to head meetings between the two.

Sox at Detroit for three, August 31 - September 2.
Detroit at Sox for four, September 10-13.

You can bet that Verlander will be starting a game in each series.

Detroit has won seven of the previous 11 games this year and seven of the last nine. (Sox won the first two meetings...)

If the Sox are still in the lead they just have to find a way to win three or four and they'll win it, in my opinion.

If they trail obviously they are going to have to do better than that and with Verlander 12-1 in his last 13 decisions against the Sox that's not going to be easy to do.

Plus the last 13 games of the year the Sox play the Angels, Cleveland and Tampa.

Detroit's last 13 are against Minnesota, Kansas City and Oakland.

I hope the Sox have a three or four games lead heading into the final two weeks. I don't want a repeat of 2008 where the Sox had to get help the final weekend from the Royals beating Minnesota twice to put them in a position to re-control their own destiny.

Lip
I agree Lip. Sox have a pretty tough schedule to finish the season unless the Rays or Angels really fall out of it. My hope is that the Tribe will have completely faded by then and the Rays will be eliminated before that series.

Tigers playing Oakland could be tough for them especially if the wild card is still in play for the A's. The Twins have held their own against the Tigers this year going 4W-5L. However, the Royals routinely lay in the fetal position when playing the Tigers. They are 1W-8L against them this year which is really aggravating considering how hard they play against the Sox.

JB98
08-03-2012, 12:34 AM
I agree Lip. Sox have a pretty tough schedule to finish the season unless the Rays or Angels really fall out of it. My hope is that the Tribe will have completely faded by then and the Rays will be eliminated before that series.

Tigers playing Oakland could be tough for them especially if the wild card is still in play for the A's. The Twins have held their own against the Tigers this year going 4W-5L. However, the Royals routinely lay in the fetal position when playing the Tigers. They are 1W-8L against them this year which is really aggravating considering how hard they play against the Sox.

That's one of the crazy things about this pennant race. The White Sox have 12 games remaining against Kansas City. Under normal circumstances, you would say it's an advantage to have 20.7 percent of your remaining 58 games against the last-place club in your division. Not so here. For reasons no one can explain, the Royals give the Sox hell. You'd love to say the Sox could go 9-3 in those 12 games, but they are probably just as likely to go 6-6.

The Sox have six games left with Cleveland and six games left with Minnesota. The Sox are a combined 17-7 against those two clubs. I feel more confident about the combined 12 games remaining against Cleveland and Minnesota than I do about the 12 games left with Kansas City.

tstrike2000
08-03-2012, 07:31 AM
A week ago they sweep the Sox and everyone thinks they are going to run away with it.

Picking up Marlins is like picking up Cubs. Just asking for bad things to happen.

That's what we're programmed for from the Ozzie tenure. Both teams are going to be interesting to watch down the stretch. How our pitching staff will do with innings adding up and the possibility of a 6-man rotation. Detroit went hot for a while there to get over .500, but they seem to me to be basically a .500 team. They could still win it after getting hot again, similar to last year's Cardinals, but I think the Sox hold on.

balke
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
If they thought Sanchez and Infante were going to put them over the top, that's their problem.

If I was going to give up my top prospect - I'd much rather have Grienke or Liriano or Cliff Lee.

PorkChopExpress
08-03-2012, 04:09 PM
If I was going to give up my top prospect - I'd much rather have Grienke or Liriano or Cliff Lee.

The way the Tigers spend money these days, I could see them putting in a claim for Cliff Lee. Not sure if the Phils would let him go for nothing just to dump that contract, though. However, Cliff Lee and Verlander is a formidable 1-2 punch. They say the Tigers are looking for another bat, though, which I don't understand.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Never put anything past Detroit, the owner desperately wants to win a World Series before he dies, he's in his mid 80's.

Lip

jcw218
08-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Lee was put on waivers. Apparently the Dodgers placed a claim on Lee and the Phillies pulled Lee back.

doublem23
08-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Also, there is no way in hell that ANYONE, let alone KW, claims Alfonso Soriano. The Cubs are probably willing to eat $20 million of that contract, and any GM claiming him should be fired the next day.

As expected, Soriano has cleared waivers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/alfonso-soriano-clears-waivers.html

:popcorn:

MUsoxfan
08-16-2012, 09:30 AM
I had no idea Marmol was making so much

kobo
08-16-2012, 09:50 AM
As expected, Soriano has cleared waivers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/alfonso-soriano-clears-waivers.html

:popcorn:
If the Cubs are willing to eat that much of his salary he's gonna get moved.

The Immigrant
08-16-2012, 10:19 AM
If the Cubs are willing to eat that much of his salary he's gonna get moved.

He has 10-and-5 rights, so he can block a move regardless of how much money the Cubs are willing to eat.