PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-31 Ex-Twins Are Good Twins Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
They all came through tonight.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Span kills us; thankfully Reed limited the damage.

Dick Allen
I say Jake should start tomorrow's game by putting one in Span's ear.

JB98
Sox played better after I got pissed off and started paying less attention to the game.

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

Thank goodness the Sox didn't lose to Blackburn. There isn't a worse starting pitcher in baseball this year.

SCCWS
07-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Should pick up a game on Tigers. Still in rain delay but if game cannot continue Boston will win. Verlander loss as well.

amsteel
07-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Anthony John Mother****ing Pierzynski

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2012, 10:01 PM
No such thing as a bad win. I think Liriano's a nice addition and the pen did their job.

SCCWS
07-31-2012, 10:02 PM
5-6-7-8 need a break for a few days and 1-2-3-4 need to carry the load.

Konerkoholic
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Blackburn's not as bad as people here say, and he threw a good game tonight. Good performance overall from Liriano; with 4 BB and 8 K, pretty much a microchosm of his season so far.

Chez
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
All those who back in March doubted Viciedo's ability to play a servicable left field, please raise your hands and apologize. He's been really good out there.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Blackburn's not as bad as people here say, and he threw a good game tonight. Good performance overall from Liriano; with 4 BB and 8 K, pretty much a microchosm of his season so far.

You're talking about a guy who has given up 107 hits and only struck out 33 in 74 innings coming into this game.

Blackburn is without a doubt the worst pitcher in the American League right now.

SoxFan49
07-31-2012, 10:06 PM

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

voodoochile
07-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Needed that win. Toons lost big and the Kittens are losing in a game that's official but currently delayed and has been delayed for quite a while. AJ and Frankie are enough to make a Twinkie fan rip out his hair...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

doublem23
07-31-2012, 10:11 PM

:rolleyes: *****. He's been finding an awful lot of acorns.

I was one of Dayan's biggest supporters this off-season, and I'll admit his instincts aren't great out there, but as I suspected, he's still young and athletic enough to make up for that. I don't think Dayan's going to have a long career as a left fielder, but for now he's more than adequate.

If you put any weight into some of the more advanced fielding stats, they all rate Dayan as one of the top 3-5 LF in the AL. It's not a grueling position to play.

voodoochile
07-31-2012, 10:12 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2791

JB98
07-31-2012, 10:12 PM
You're talking about a guy who has given up 107 hits and only struck out 33 in 74 innings coming into this game.

Blackburn is without a doubt the worst pitcher in the American League right now.

Yeah, he doesn't have enough innings to qualify. But if he did, his ERA is nearly two full runs higher than the worst qualifying guy in the league (which I believe is Ervin Santana).

Blackburn is a punching bag for AL hitters. He's been a punching bag for the Sox all season until tonight.

Konerkoholic
07-31-2012, 10:14 PM

Still, he's capable of pitching well, which he clearly did tonight. It's not as simple as "it's Nick Blackburn, we should be clobbering him." I'm just countering this line of thinking.

SoxFan49
:rolleyes: *****. He's been finding an awful lot of acorns.

I was one of Dayan's biggest supporters this off-season, and I'll admit his instincts aren't great out there, but as I suspected, he's still young and athletic enough to make up for that. I don't think Dayan's going to have a long career as a left fielder, but for now he's more than adequate.

If you put any weight into some of the more advanced fielding stats, they all rate Dayan as one of the top 3-5 LF in the AL. It's not a grueling position to play.

I wouldn't say he has found a lot of acorns at all, he still has a 7.43 ERA and only 35 strikeouts on the year. Definitely not very good at all.

DumpJerry
Every time Mauer faced Liriano, I expected him to make a Mound visit between every pitch out of habit.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't say he has found a lot of acorns at all, he still has a 7.43 ERA and only 35 strikeouts on the year. Definitely not very good at all.

****, I have no idea what I was responding to. You're right, Blackburn sucks. For some reason, I read your post as a criticism of Viciedo.

I probably need more sleep. :dunce:

Brian26
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
If anyone recorded the game, go back and listen to AJ as passes the field mic after he scored to tie the game 2-2.

soxinem1
07-31-2012, 10:19 PM
For the most part this year, AJ and Rios almost mirror each other with their swings.

When they pull the ball it is like they are standing there waiting to tee off, and they drive it better than I have ever seen consistently from each player.

Rios has been a little better driving the ball oppo, but AJ has been quite solid himself.

Jeff Manto sure seems to resonate with these two especially well.

GlassSox
07-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Every time Mauer faced Liriano, I expected him to make a Mound visit between every pitch out of habit.

:roflmao:

johnnyg83
07-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Nice win ...looks like Detroit game has been officially called. That's two Verlander losses in a row.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Hard to ask for Liriano to do more than he did tonight especially under the circumstances (trade etc...)

A.J. with a big, big hit.

Good night especially if the Tigers game is officially rained out with Boston winning.

Lip

SoxFan49
07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
****, I have no idea what I was responding to. You're right, Blackburn sucks. For some reason, I read your post as a criticism of Viciedo.

I probably need more sleep. :dunce:

Haha, no problem.

I'm definitely a fan of Tank, he's still young and I think the longer he's been playing the more patient he's been, even though he still strikes out quite often he's learned to be more patient rather than just swinging away every time.

This kid's going to be real good one day.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Final in Boston, thanks to the rain, the Red Sox win over Detroit 4-1 in 6.

That's a 2 1/2 game lead folks

johnnyg83
07-31-2012, 10:42 PM

Baseball, apple pie and second place.

Crooked Number
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
If anyone recorded the game, go back and listen to AJ as passes the field mic after he scored to tie the game 2-2.

Clear as day, and for those who ever think the Sox "don't care" or are "going through the motions", or "not trying" just listen to that. I won't type it out here as it contains some expletives heh.

Big win. Need to win the series tomorrow against a tough hurler who has had very good success this season.

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
2.5 games up and the other Sox are streaking so the real Sox might have a chance to make it 3.5 up in this division.

If the White Sox play winning baseball the rest of the way, they might be able to win this one running away in the last couple of weeks.

I won't say anything or predict anything, but the other teams in our division are horribly inconsistent.

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Clear as day, and for those who ever think the Sox "don't care" or are "going through the motions", or "not trying" just listen to that. I won't type it out here as it contains some expletives heh.

Big win. Need to win the series tomorrow against a tough hurler who has had very good success this season.

AJ said,

"Lets hit this piece of ****" after scoring the tying run.

Once again cementing his place in my heart as one of my favorite players, and cementing his place in every opposition's fanbase as one of their least favorites.

chisoxjtrain
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM

Link (NSFW for language):
http://deadspin.com/5930722/aj-pierzynski-has-no-problem-calling-twins-pitcher-nick-blackburn-a-piece-of-****-to-his-face

BigKlu59
07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Nice poke by AJ. Just what the Dr. ordered... Reed settled down and sealed it..Hope PK didnt wretch something on the final out of the game..

Take the series and come back to "Sweet Home Chicago"...

BK59

PalehosePlanet
07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
JB98 mentioned it in the game thread and I totally agree: the team looks road weary and tired. No better evidence of this fact than the terrible defense we've played the last three nights. Give away runs: 2 on Sunday (cost us the game); 3 last night (cost us the game); and Paulie tonight by not touching the bag in the 6th cost us a run which could have cost us the game --- not to mention that crazy ass throw for the final out in the 9th.

Very happy we won, this game felt like a loss from the 4th inning on.

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
JB98 mentioned it in the game thread and I totally agree: the team looks road weary and tired. No better evidence of this fact than the terrible defense we've played the last three nights. Give away runs: 2 on Sunday (cost us the game); 3 last night (cost us the game); and Paulie tonight by not touching the bag in the 6th cost us a run which could have cost us the game --- not to mention that crazy ass throw for the final out in the 9th.

The fact that the White Sox have gone .500 since the all star break with only 3 games at home is remarkable. I would have taken this from the start and whatever consequences came.

Detroit had their little hot streak, but that seems to have stopped running and the Sox have a chance to reclaim positioning in the top spot.

Life is good.

The only downside is we will probably come home to a scorching hot Angels team.

PalehosePlanet
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
AJ said,

Once again cementing his place in my heart as one of my favorite players, and cementing his place in every opposition's fanbase as one of their least favorites.

Blackburn hit AJ with a pitch w/2 out and no one on, thinking he was safe. It blew up in his face. Scoring the tying run was a nice payback. Blackburn is a piece of ****, and a ****ty pitcher too.

TheOldRoman
07-31-2012, 10:56 PM
L.O. ****ing L at the Tigers. Down 4-1 in the sixth, 1 out, bases loaded - game called.

PalehosePlanet
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
L.O. ****ing L at the Tigers. Down 4-1 in the sixth, 1 out, bases loaded - game called.

Cue up the farting trombone: wahhhh...wahhhh.

fram40
07-31-2012, 11:00 PM
The fact that the White Sox have gone .500 since the all star break with only 3 games at home is remarkable. I would have taken this from the start and whatever consequences came.

Detroit had their little hot streak, but that seems to have stopped running and the Sox have a chance to reclaim positioning in the top spot.

Life is good.

The only downside is we will probably come home to a scorching hot Angels team.

It's all good!

TheOldRoman
07-31-2012, 11:06 PM
JB98 mentioned it in the game thread and I totally agree: the team looks road weary and tired. No better evidence of this fact than the terrible defense we've played the last three nights. Give away runs: 2 on Sunday (cost us the game); 3 last night (cost us the game);
The Sox wouldn't have won Sunday unless Floyd held the Rangers to negative runs, but your point remains. It will be good for the Sox to get home for a while.

Soxman219
Link (NSFW for language):
http://deadspin.com/5930722/aj-pierzynski-has-no-problem-calling-twins-pitcher-nick-blackburn-a-piece-of-****-to-his-face

LOL that's awesome.

Get the series win tomorrow and it's back home where I expect a full house for this weekend's series against LAA.

Noneck
I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a plunking session.

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a plunking session.

If the Twins do decide to throw at us, I hope Robin does the opposite of Ozzie and fights back.

kittle42
07-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Blackburn's not as bad as people here say

He's worse.

Noneck
If the Twins do decide to throw at us, I hope Robin does the opposite of Ozzie and fights back.

Peavy knows what to do and when to do it, he doesnt have to be told.

samurai_sox
AJ said,

When AJ is coming back to the dugout after hitting his 2-run bomb you could see him put his finger over his mouth as if he's saying "I'll shut up this time." :D:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_07_31_chamlb_minmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws#gid=2012_07_31_chamlb_minmlb_1&mode=video

kittle42
07-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Still, he's capable of pitching well, which he clearly did tonight. It's not as simple as "it's Nick Blackburn, we should be clobbering him." I'm just countering this line of thinking.

It's as simple as, "It's Nick Blackburn. We should be clobbering him 90% of the time." Tonight was the 10%.

Edit: He has 3 quality starts out of 16, so 81.25% of the time.

thomas35forever
07-31-2012, 11:25 PM
21 years ago tonight:
ZIZCYSZSIMc

Konerkoholic
07-31-2012, 11:28 PM
It's as simple as, "It's Nick Blackburn. We should be clobbering him 90% of the time." Tonight was the 10%.

Edit: He has 3 quality starts out of 16, so 81.25% of the time.

I'll take it.

johnnyg83
07-31-2012, 11:31 PM
21 years ago tonight:
ZIZCYSZSIMc

Matt Merullo sighting ....

slavko
07-31-2012, 11:34 PM

One Twin decided to throw at AJ. AJ fought back the best way possible. Beanball war with a bad team getting our guys suspended? No, thanks. We're in a pennant race.

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 11:38 PM
21 years ago tonight:
ZIZCYSZSIMc

I forget sometimes, but this reminded me what kind of a beast Frank Thomas was.

The man was the hulk.

rainbow6
08-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Blackburn's not as bad as people here say, and he threw a good game tonight. Good performance overall from Liriano; with 4 BB and 8 K, pretty much a microchosm of his season so far.e

People say Blackburn is the worst SP in the AL.

Who's worse?

Urban Legend
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM

The Twins announcers apologized to the listening audience because the field mic picked up what AJ said

thomas35forever
08-01-2012, 12:56 AM
The Twins announcers apologized to the listening audience because the field mic picked up what AJ said
For those who missed it:

cards press box
08-01-2012, 03:06 AM
The fact that the White Sox have gone .500 since the all star break with only 3 games at home is remarkable.

It sure is. The Sox have been doing great! And in Francisco Liriano's Sox debut tonight,

:winner

ElevenUp
08-01-2012, 03:30 AM
21 years ago tonight:
ZIZCYSZSIMc

Is that Bill Murray 2:35 into the clip?

LITTLE NELL
08-01-2012, 06:52 AM
21 years ago tonight:
ZIZCYSZSIMc

One of the greatest games in Sox history.
Could you imagine what that place would have been like if Robin's Grand Slam was a pennant clincher.

On a bad note, before the makeover Comiskey Park II was as sterile as an operating room.

October26
08-01-2012, 07:26 AM
21 years ago tonight:
ZIZCYSZSIMc

I never get tired of watching that video which captures a great moment in White Sox history!

As for last night's game: AJ! :D. And I did a little dance :bandance: after Viciedo made his nice catch. I was thrilled to see the Sox get the win. Today, we need Peavy to give the Sox a good outing and the Sox offense to do their thing. Win the series & keep on winning, White Sox!

WisSoxFan
08-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Completely agree with this. Anyone else smell a potential stinker today by a team that just wants to get home after spending most of July in hotels? Not meant as criticism of the team. Just an observation.

Tragg
08-01-2012, 07:55 AM

In 2005, we were up like 5-0 in the top of the 5th on a Sunday game in Boston and they called it and it didn't count, so we had to beat them again on Labor Day, which we did (Brandon McCarthy). Of course Detroit gets hit with an L...we just had to start over.

salty99
08-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Is that Bill Murray 2:35 into the clip?

yes I believe it is

Hitmen77
08-01-2012, 10:28 AM
21 years ago tonight:
ZIZCYSZSIMc

Did the audio cut out at the end? Because I couldn't hear Hawk saying "It's All Good!" or "And This Ballgame is OVAH!"

Bobby Valentine sighting! I had forgotten he was manager of the Rangers back in '91.

Wow, I can't believe it's been 21 years. I remember watching that on TV. One of the most memorable games in my years of following the Sox. The Sox really looked like they were playoff-bound at that point. I just looked it up and they were 3 games back after that win. The closest they got was 1 game back after Alvarez's no-hitter 11 days later.

voodoochile
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Completely agree with this. Anyone else smell a potential stinker today by a team that just wants to get home after spending most of July in hotels? Not meant as criticism of the team. Just an observation.

Win or lose I can't see the Sox laying a "stinker" as you put it. This team is too mentally balanced and it's a central division foe - and one that has been their chief rival most of the time the current group of veterans has been together.

hawkjt
08-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Based on what I saw last nite, Liriano has the best ''stuff'' in the rotation at this moment. Well done,Kenny!

Can you imagine the devastation after the Danks news if Kenny had not acted?

This team is stubborn,and refuses to go away quietly....led by AJ!
Huge win. Now, go get another!

SCCWS
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Even better that Tigers lose behind Verlander who had control problems.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Even better that Tigers lose behind Verlander who had control problems.

It would certainly be nice if all those innings he's pitched the last few years come back and bite him now

Danielgosox38
08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Liriano pitched great. He doesn't really act like he is that excited to be here though. Ether that or he feels weird pitching for us considering he has been one thr rival team for the past few years. Maybe, I am imagining things but I seen another poster in the game thread mention this as well. Thoughts?

34rancher
08-01-2012, 12:31 PM
21 years ago tonight:
ZIZCYSZSIMc

Wow. I remember being in the upper deck third base side and not sure if that was gone that night. I also forgot that was off goose gossage. I'll never forget how the ramps down were. For a mid season game, they were rocking with sweet home Chicago like I've only heard it after game 1 of the 05 series.

Man do I miss frank in the uniform. I loved watching that man hit.

JB98
08-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Liriano pitched great. He doesn't really act like he is that excited to be here though. Ether that or he feels weird pitching for us considering he has been one thr rival team for the past few years. Maybe, I am imagining things but I seen another poster in the game thread mention this as well. Thoughts?

I'm sure it is strange for him to be pitching for the Sox, who are the biggest rival of his former team. On top of that, he made his first start against his old team in front of the fans who had cheered him for years. Not the easiest situation.

As far as his excitement level, it's not an issue for me. If he pitches well, as he did last night, I don't care what his demeanor is.