Danks out for year

Expected, but still :(:

soxnut1018
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales
Surgery Monday

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Wasn't he supposed to be out for a couple of weeks?

Harry Potter
07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Looks like Chez was right when he called it in the "Sale geting rest" thread.

Get well soon John :(:

Noneck
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Dont show your hand before the trade deadline is over, it makes sense.

LITTLE NELL
07-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales
Surgery Monday

I don't understand this whole scenario, he has a slight tear back in May but does not need surgery, hardly does anything for 2 months and now he needs surgery.

kobo
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't understand this whole scenario, he has a slight tear back in May but does not need surgery, hardly does anything for 2 months a now he needs surgery.
He's been throwing the last 2 months but has been reporting pain after almost each session. I think the Sox were hoping that whatever is going on was going to heal in time but it obviously has not. According to Gonzalez, the surgery will be exploratory so we'll see what happens.

kufram
07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
If the surgery is exploratory it means they don't know what is wrong so they have to go in to try to find out.

thomas35forever
07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Sucks that he's had this type of year, but here's hoping he'll come back stronger than ever. We need that contract to be worth something.

JB98
07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Bad year for Danks. This is the biggest reason KW added Liriano.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Obviously it is more than a "shoulder strain" as was first reported back in May.

I wonder what the doctors will actually find when they get in there and what may happen to him next season.

Given that the Sox have potential starting pitching free agents in Peavy and Liriano and have the option (I think) on Floyd this is news they did not need.

We'll see what happens.

Lip

DSpivack
07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Obviously it is more than a "shoulder strain" as was first reported back in May.

I wonder what the doctors will actually find when they get in there and what may happen to him next season.

Given that the Sox have potential starting pitching free agents in Peavy and Liriano and have the option (I think) on Floyd this is news they did not need.

We'll see what happens.

Lip

2013:

Peavy: $22 million option, $4 million buyout.
Floyd: $9.5 million club option.
Liriano: Free agent.

Only starters under contract currently are Sale, Humber, & Danks.

Also, Brett Myers: $10 million option, $3 million buyout.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Assuming the Sox have an insurance policy on Danks' contract, would it kick in to cover a portion of his salary given that he will have missed so much of the season? I'm not asking if anyone knows the particulars of any insurance policy, or if one exists, but rather if there is some sort of uniform MLB rule as to how much of a season must be missed in order for such a policy to be activated.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
2013:

Peavy: $22 million option, $4 million buyout.
Floyd: $9.5 million club option.
Liriano: Free agent.

Only starters under contract currently are Sale, Humber, & Danks.

Also, Brett Myers: $10 million option, $3 million buyout.

Liriano could be offered arbitration, and theoretically the Sox and Peavy could work out an extension.

soltrain21
07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Maybe next year we can see him turn the corner.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Sale, Humber and Quintana are the only "sure things" at this point in time.

I'd assume that whatever happens with Danks will or could affect the thought process on Floyd.

If Danks is OK, Floyd could be let go...if Danks isn't or appears to have the chance to miss time next year recovering for whatever is wrong, Floyd could be retained.

Peavy said he likes it in Chicago and hoped that something could be worked out. Phil Rogers speculated on a new deal for three years at 14 million a season.

Have no idea what the future could hold for Liriano.

But it looks likely that the Sox are going to have to get at least one starter for next year maybe two depending on what happens with Danks, Floyd, Liriano and Peavy.

At this point in time without knowing what ultimately is going to happen to Danks, I'd guess Floyd is retained (that gives the Sox four). If Danks can come back that could seal the fate of Peavy and Liriano.

If he can't then it's open season and we'll see what Kenny does.

Don't know what the free agent market for starting pitchers will be like next year (although it doesn't look like Dempster had any interest in playing for the Sox...)

Lip

Jpgr91
07-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Assuming the Sox have an insurance policy on Danks' contract, would it kick in to cover a portion of his salary given that he will have missed so much of the season? I'm not asking if anyone knows the particulars of any insurance policy, or if one exists, but rather if there is some sort of uniform MLB rule as to how much of a season must be missed in order for such a policy to be activated.

I believe that the individual terms of each policy are negotiated, I don't think there is one universal policy. I am sure that the premiums would change based on how long a pitcher was covered and the risk involved with the pitcher. In Danks' case he never really was considered an injury risk so I would guess that it probably didn't cost JR too much $ to insure him for the 1st season of his contract.

Chez
07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Looks like Chez was right when he called it in the "Sale geting rest" thread.

Get well soon John :(:

I confess I was trading on inside information -- my source was someone who will be in the operating room. As previously posted, Sox were smart to wait until after the trade deadline to announce the news. Really disappointed it came to this (I'm sure far less disappointed than Danks is). I was hoping for a triumphant September return. We still have enough to win.

Steelrod
07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Typically they don't kick in until the 2nd year a player is out, which is why most teams no longer have them. They are also very expensive.

JB98
07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Sale, Humber and Quintana are the only "sure things" at this point in time.

I'd assume that whatever happens with Danks will or could affect the thought process on Floyd.

If Danks is OK, Floyd could be let go...if Danks isn't or appears to have the chance to miss time next year recovering for whatever is wrong, Floyd could be retained.

Peavy said he likes it in Chicago and hoped that something could be worked out. Phil Rogers speculated on a new deal for three years at 14 million a season.

Have no idea what the future could hold for Liriano.

But it looks likely that the Sox are going to have to get at least one starter for next year maybe two depending on what happens with Danks, Floyd, Liriano and Peavy.

At this point in time without knowing what ultimately is going to happen to Danks, I'd guess Floyd is retained (that gives the Sox four). If Danks can come back that could seal the fate of Peavy and Liriano.

If he can't then it's open season and we'll see what Kenny does.

Don't know what the free agent market for starting pitchers will be like next year (although it doesn't look like Dempster had any interest in playing for the Sox...)

Lip

The free agent market for starting pitchers this offseason is thin. Greinke will be out there, but you know he'll want five years and 100 million+. The Sox won't pay that, nor should they. After that, the next best guy is Dempster unless I'm forgetting someone.

If Kenny feels he needs to add starting pitching from outside the organization, he'll trade for it. That's how he rolls. Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Liriano all acquired in trades.

kevingrt
07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Speaking of 5th starters next year I can see Simon Castro getting a serious shot in spring training. And you never know about Hector Santiago either.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Damn you, Chez!

:gah:

Brian26
07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
I confess I was trading on inside information -- my source was someone who will be in the operating room.

Did your source do some work on Peavy too?

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Chez:

Does your source have any idea what could possible be wrong? To go from a "strained shoulder" to exploratory surgery (with maybe more surgery to follow if they find something...) is a big leap.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
I've had a hunch for weeks that Danks needed surgery. In fact, I just commented to my boyfriend the other night that, with all these setbacks Danks has had as of late, the Sox should quit screwing around and just send Danks for surgery because the sooner that happens, the sooner he'll be ready for 2013.

JB98
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Chez:

Does your source have any idea what could possible be wrong? To go from a "strained shoulder" to exploratory surgery (with maybe more surgery to follow if they find something...) is a big leap.

Lip

Well, if they find something Monday I have to believe they'll go ahead and fix it right then and there.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
JB:

Gonzo tonight wrote that if any "abnormalities" are found they'll immediately be corrected while he's under.

Lip

JB98
08-01-2012, 12:57 AM
JB:

Gonzo tonight wrote that if any "abnormalities" are found they'll immediately be corrected while he's under.

Lip

No doubt. I can't imagine the surgical team discovering what was wrong and then saying, "All right that's enough for today, guys. Let's close him up and schedule more surgery for later!" That would be ridiculous. You've got a $15 million per year shoulder on the operating table. They are going to get this addressed.

I think they did stall on this a little bit. I think they also fibbed to the press. They didn't want the severity of Danks' problem to become public during a period where KW was working the phones, trying to add pitching to improve this ballclub. If the other GMs knew Danks was going to need surgery, that would have cost KW leverage in his trade discussions.

It's not a coincidence the need for surgery was announced a couple hours after the trade deadline passed. They weren't going to **** around with John's health any longer than they had to. Whatever it is, they'll find it and fix it Monday.

mahagga73
08-01-2012, 09:17 AM
If the surgery is exploratory it means they don't know what is wrong so they have to go in to try to find out.
i hope we don't have the White Sox version of Mark Prior on our hands.What a collossal waste of money.

mahagga73
08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
I've had a hunch for weeks that Danks needed surgery. In fact, I just commented to my boyfriend the other night that, with all these setbacks Danks has had as of late, the Sox should quit screwing around and just send Danks for surgery because the sooner that happens, the sooner he'll be ready for 2013.
He is only having exploratory surgery. May not be anything wrong with him.

sullythered
08-01-2012, 09:20 AM
i hope we don't have the White Sox version of Mark Prior on our hands.What a collossal waste of money.

Through six seasons, John Danks has thrown nearly 1000 innings. He has been durable, and this is the first time he has been hurt. Mark Prior (barely) made it through six injury plagued years before being forced out of baseball.

What the hell are you talking about.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM

:rolleyes:

What a ridiculous comparison, Prior's injuries started coming to light less than 50 starts into his MLB career. His career was over at 657 IP.

Danks has started twice as many games than Prior and he's given the Sox almost 1,000 IP. 6 years into his MLB career and this is the first major injury scare of his career. He's a pitcher. It happens.

mahagga73
08-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Through six seasons, John Danks has thrown nearly 1000 innings. He has been durable, and this is the first time he has been hurt. Mark Prior (barely) made it through six injury plagued years before being forced out of baseball.

What the hell are you talking about.
true, I just hope he don't get to be one of these guys that won't pitch through pain that's all. i still can't believe they gave a guy with a losing record and an ERA over 4 that kind of money. He is a 3 on a good team and maybe a 2 on a poor team. i bet he couldn't get down to sign that ridiculous contract fast enough, 1 money for 4 production.Hope it doesn't haunt them in the way of free agency this offseason.

mahagga73
08-01-2012, 09:54 AM
:rolleyes:

What a ridiculous comparison, Prior's injuries started coming to light less than 50 starts into his MLB career. His career was over at 657 IP.

Danks has started twice as many games than Prior and he's given the Sox almost 1,000 IP. 6 years into his MLB career and this is the first major injury scare of his career. He's a pitcher. It happens.
We shall see if you all are singing the same tune next season.

doublem23
08-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Even if John never throws another pitch again, calling him the 2nd Coming of Mark Prior is a ridiculous, ridiculous comparison.

mahagga73
08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Even if John never throws another pitch again, calling him the 2nd Coming of Mark Prior is a ridiculous, ridiculous comparison.
Mark Prior,even injured, was a way better pitcher.

Lorenzo Barcelo
08-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I confess I was trading on inside information -- my source was someone who will be in the operating room. As previously posted, Sox were smart to wait until after the trade deadline to announce the news. Really disappointed it came to this (I'm sure far less disappointed than Danks is). I was hoping for a triumphant September return. We still have enough to win.

HIPAA violation?

doublem23
08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Mark Prior,even injured, was a way better pitcher.

Prior, when healthy, was a better pitcher than Dans (obviously) but you're comparing a guy who gave the Cubs 20 starts and 130 IP per year for 6 years against a guy who has given the Sox 30 starts 190 IP for his first 5 years.

I guess John must have run over your dog or something because there's simply no way anyone would take Prior over him unless they really, really, really liked watching guys throw simulated games with a towel during warm-ups.

asindc
08-01-2012, 10:06 AM

:raincloud:

mahagga73
08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Prior, when healthy, was a better pitcher than Dans (obviously) but you're comparing a guy who gave the Cubs 20 starts and 130 IP per year for 6 years against a guy who has given the Sox 30 starts 190 IP for his first 5 years.

I guess John must have run over your dog or something because there's simply no way anyone would take Prior over him unless they really, really, really liked watching guys throw simulated games with a towel during warm-ups.
No, I wish somebody would overpay me several million too, can't blame him for that. I just worry this is going to blow up in the Sox face payroll wise. I didn't understand that contract then and I don't now. I think Liriano is going to be an improvement to be honest. If Danks is your 1, which he is getting paid that kind of money, your team is going to be horsebleep.

kittle42
08-01-2012, 10:37 AM

We don't. Mark Prior was awesome when he was healthy.

Chez
08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
HIPAA violation?

Believe me, the thought crossed my mind and I was quite reluctant to post about it in the first place. I don't have any more information -- truly.

sullythered
08-01-2012, 12:36 PM
We don't. Mark Prior was awesome when he was healthy.

Yeah, he was totally awesome for that year and a half until he turned 23 years old.

balke
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM
If they cut him open and say "You're fine - stop crying". Could he possibly be back in October?

Yes, I know this is unlikely.

shingo10
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things but you really have to wonder how long he was hurt.

His struggles began in Spring Training and didn't really let up at all. His velocity was noticeably down so its easy to assume that he was hurting from the get go.

I never in a million years would have picked him as the pitcher to go down this yea.

ChiSoxGirl
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
He is only having exploratory surgery. May not be anything wrong with him.

How can that be true? Dude hasn't pitched since the third week of May and, despite numerous attempts to rehab his shoulder, has shown little improvement.

kittle42
08-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah, he was totally awesome for that year and a half until he turned 23 years old.

He sure was.

Brian26
08-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Especially since his career numbers compare closer to Greg Hibbard and Steve Trout.

doublem23
08-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Especially since his career numbers compare closer to Greg Hibbard and Steve Trout.

We'll see what happens when he comes back. If he's healthy and rested for next season, I'm hopeful he's going to bounce back to the kind of pitcher he really could be. Hoping he's another in the long line of guys on this roster who just needed to get away from assclown management.

Tragg
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but Liriano has a pretty reasonable option price for next season, doesn't he?

doublem23
08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but Liriano has a pretty reasonable option price for next season, doesn't he?

No, he's playing under the final year of his annual arbitration year contracts. He is a free agent this off-season with no strings attached unless KW convinces him to sign before he hits the market.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
No, he's playing under the final year of his annual arbitration year contracts. He is a free agent this off-season with no strings attached unless KW convinces him to sign before he hits the market.

I thought Liriano had one more arb year left? I could have misheard, though.

doublem23
08-02-2012, 10:49 AM

No

from Cots (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=84):

Francisco Liriano lhp
1 year/$5.5M (2012)

1 year/$5.5M (2012)

re-signed by Minnesota 1/17/12 (avoided arbitration)
acquired by Chicago White Sox in trade from Minnesota 7/29/12

1 year/$4.3M (2011)

re-signed by Minnesota 2/5/11 (avoided arbitration, $5M-$3.6M)

1 year/$1.6M (2010)

re-signed by Minnesota 1/19/10 (avoided arbitration)

asindc
08-02-2012, 10:52 AM

If that was the case, I doubt that Minny would have traded him for a song.

Tragg
08-02-2012, 11:24 AM
This says he's arb eligible. Now I never really educated myself on arb rules so I don't know what that means exactly.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/liriafr01.shtml

I'm hoping we can do something for him or maybe get real creative with Peavy.

doublem23
08-02-2012, 11:31 AM
This says he's arb eligible. Now I never really educated myself on arb rules so I don't know what that means exactly.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/liriafr01.shtml

I'm hoping we can do something for him or maybe get real creative with Peavy.

No, he's not. They have a bug in their code. The contract he's playing under this year is his 3rd arbitration year contract. He's a free agent after this season.

SCCWS
08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Hoping he's another in the long line of guys on this roster who just needed to get away from assclown management.

I think Ozzie needed to go. I think Robin has done a terrific job. Long line is a major exaggeration. If you look at the guys who have been here a few years, some are having a better year and some are having worse. I tend to blame players for performance more than a manager. For example, Beckham looks the same to me under a different manager and hitting coach. Rios had a bad 09, good 10, bad 11 and good 12. Under 3 different mangers and hitting coaches.