PDA

View Full Version : Dempster Now Says He'd Go To A.L...

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Not the Sox though and you do have to consider the 'source' on the story:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8218905/chicago-cubs-ryan-dempster-accept-deal-new-york-yankees-texas-rangers

Lip

Brian26
07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Not the Sox though and you do have to consider the 'source' on the story:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8218905/chicago-cubs-ryan-dempster-accept-deal-new-york-yankees-texas-rangers

Lip

LevineLine doing his part to create some leverage for the Cubs, as this has a chance to blow up in their faces. All of a sudden Dumpster wants to play in the AL. :rolleyes:

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Dempster really screwed the Cubs but good. "I'll go to any team named the Dodgers or the Braves, as long as it's the Dodgers."

thomas35forever
07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
He's going to the Rangers.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM

Just got the same message via text alert from the Score.

Hitmen77
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM

...reportedly for two Class A prospects:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-soto-deal-to-rangers-official-20120731,0,7479081.story

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Not quite the haul that Theo was expecting no? Sounds like less than Atlanta offered (although I don't know that for sure...)

This counters the Angels move for Grienke. Money talks with those teams swimming in cash from the new regional TV deals.

Lip

ZombieRob
07-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Not quite the haul that Theo was expecting no?

This counters the Angels move for Grienke. Money talks with those teams swimming in cash from the new regional TV deals.

Lip
They way the Chicago Cub media have been clamouring about how much value and Dempster and Garza had, you'd think teams would give up the farm. Sox fans here all along knew the Cubs had no bargaining power.

Frontman
07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
LevineLine doing his part to create some leverage for the Cubs, as this has a chance to blow up in their faces. All of a sudden Dumpster wants to play in the AL. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Levine is a miserable jerk now that the white flag went up at Wrigley. He's a main reason I steer clear of ESPN 1000, among others.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Now we'll see if, as I suspect, American League hitters take Ryan Dempster's lunch money.

Frontman
07-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Who on the pitching staff will now do the horrid Harry Carrey impression when ESPN needs it?

kittle42
07-31-2012, 04:56 PM
They way the Chicago Cub media have been clamouring about how much value and Dempster and Garza had, you'd think teams would give up the farm. Sox fans here all along knew the Cubs had no bargaining power.

The Braves agreed to give them Delgado. That would have been a huge get. Dempster turned down the trade, then screwed any leverage they had at all by refusing to go to ATL period.

Frontman
07-31-2012, 04:58 PM
The Braves agreed to give them Delgado. That would have been a huge get. Dempster turned down the trade, then screwed any leverage they had at all by refusing to go to ATL period.

I have a feeling in 2013 when Dempster is a Free Agent, he probably can just lose Theo's number. While I might not like the Cubs, what Dempster did was low end. He even had talked to Braves players, giving them the impression he was willing to go to ATL.

PaleHoser
07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
He'll get mashed in the AL for two month rental and drive his price down for his next deal.

Steelrod
07-31-2012, 05:15 PM
I have a feeling in 2013 when Dempster is a Free Agent, he probably can just lose Theo's number. While I might not like the Cubs, what Dempster did was low end. He even had talked to Braves players, giving them the impression he was willing to go to ATL.
Unless you were in on the phone call, I'd reserve judgement. He had the right to pick his spot because he earned it. He deferred money from the Cubs in order to help. He owes them nothing. Plus why would he want to return next year and play for the AAA team to the north?

Domeshot17
07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
alot of stuff leaked over the last 2 days. Dempster is getting divorced, and that had a big part of where he would go and not go (he has 3 kids with his soon to be ex). Who knows if he was trying to save his marriage or what.

Frontman
07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Unless you were in on the phone call, I'd reserve judgement. He had the right to pick his spot because he earned it. He deferred money from the Cubs in order to help. He owes them nothing. Plus why would he want to return next year and play for the AAA team to the north?

Yes he does deserve his 10/5 clause. HOWEVER, when you give players on another team hope you're coming, then yank the rug under them, not to mention the team you were willing to waive the no-trade clause for?

Expect people not to be happy with your decision. And yes, he's going through a divorce. That can explain it. However, as both players and front office staff will say:

Baseball is a business. And business doesn't care about personal problems. Might be a harsh thing to say, but its true.

Domeshot17
07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Yes he does deserve his 10/5 clause. HOWEVER, when you give players on another team hope you're coming, then yank the rug under them, not to mention the team you were willing to waive the no-trade clause for?

Expect people not to be happy with your decision. And yes, he's going through a divorce. That can explain it. However, as both players and front office staff will say:

Baseball is a business. And business doesn't care about personal problems. Might be a harsh thing to say, but its true.

But that is not true at all. If my wife and I were trying to work out marital problems, and my employer came to me and said "We want to transfer you to Atlanta today, but you can say no, its your choice" I don't even think I would need to think about it. He earned the right to stay, if you don't want to give players the right to say no via 10/5, eliminate it next CBA. Otherwise, life goes on.

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Who on the pitching staff will now do the horrid Harry Carrey impression when ESPN needs it?

Good point.I hate to be a stickler,but Harry's last name is spelled
C-A-R-A-Y. Just had to correct it.

"Pahhhhhhhhhped it up.That wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth."

One of my favorite Harry Caray-isms.:D:

Steelrod
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM

So, if a team makes a trade offer, they also cannot change their mind and the offer must stay. In this world and business, situations change by the minute.

JB98
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM

Well, maybe. Neither you nor I know if Delgado will ever be a productive MLB pitcher. It's difficult to get a lot in return for 11 or 12 starts of a guy like Ryan Dempster.

I think the Cubs did OK with the deal they made.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Steel:

Why would Span refuse to go to a Reds team that could get to the World Series?

Why would Kenny Rogers refuse a deal to leave a bad Texas team (at that time) for a playoff chance?

You just don't know what goes through a guy's mind in these situations. Dempster might simply like playing with little or no expectations, some guys are like that even in the big leagues. (And I'm not saying Dempster is like that, just that it could be a possibility...)

Lip

Saracen
07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Nice deal for the Rangers without having to trade Olt or Profar. And much needed with Feliz out for the season and Oswalt being lit up like a Christmas tree.

Frontman
07-31-2012, 10:31 PM
But that is not true at all. If my wife and I were trying to work out marital problems, and my employer came to me and said "We want to transfer you to Atlanta today, but you can say no, its your choice" I don't even think I would need to think about it. He earned the right to stay, if you don't want to give players the right to say no via 10/5, eliminate it next CBA. Otherwise, life goes on.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have the right. But, if you first agree in principal for a trade, then disagree with it? Personal problems or not, there are going to be hard feelings.

Personally, I think Texas gives Dempster a better chance at a ring, and if that's the case? More power to him.

And yeah, realized some time after typing in "Carrey" that it was spelled wrong. Thanks for the catch.

Steelrod
08-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Steel:

Why would Span refuse to go to a Reds team that could get to the World Series?

Why would Kenny Rogers refuse a deal to leave a bad Texas team (at that time) for a playoff chance?

You just don't know what goes through a guy's mind in these situations. Dempster might simply like playing with little or no expectations, some guys are like that even in the big leagues. (And I'm not saying Dempster is like that, just that it could be a possibility...)

Lip
Totally agree.
Sometimes stability is number one in someone's mind. Having the right to say no can also be a reward.

34rancher
08-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Now we'll see if, as I suspect, American League hitters take Ryan Dempster's lunch money.

Think Ryan is questioning leaving the NL? His 8.31 ERA in the AL makes one yearn for that 9th slot pitcher eh Ryan?

Frontman
08-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Think Ryan is questioning leaving the NL? His 8.31 ERA in the AL makes one yearn for that 9th slot pitcher eh Ryan?

He's now playing with the grown ups, and the rest of the MLB. Nobody in Texas cares that he can do a "killer" impression of a long-dead announcer now. Wonder how the Silvy and Spain are taking his departure now that his weakness to actual major league hitters have shown through?

His ERA will come down, as he's got starts against the Indians and Seattle; but man, talk about getting your lunch money took. He really got shelled two out of his three A.L. starts.

SpartanSoxFan
08-14-2012, 11:22 PM
I had not known about Dempster's marriage issues. That is too bad because I know they have a daughter with special needs, which is going to be tough on all of them if they do in fact split up.

That said, it did seem kinda low rent how he was in bed with so many teams up until the final moments of the deadline.

kittle42
08-14-2012, 11:30 PM
That said, it did seem kinda low rent how he was in bed with so many teams up until the final moments of the deadline.

?

And while I'm here, quick admission that Dempster obviously kinda stinks in the AL.