PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo Looks At Potential Trade Areas For Sox...

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Focuses on three areas -- backup outfielder, backup catcher, left handed relief pitcher.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-trading-deadline-considerations-for-sox-20120731,0,2985349.story

Lip

Tragg
07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
No glaring needs rally, other than some sort of bench bat, which we haven't had all season, so it's not that glaring I supposed. Septimo's 2 hits in 16 at bats is pretty darn good.

The best way to win a WS is to give yourself plenty of chances by making the playoffs a lot.

TheOldRoman
07-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Jordan Danks has been good off the bench, but I would have liked for them to get Reed Johnson, as he hits lefties well and is a good pinch hitter. The Sox are lucky to be in a position where they don't have to trade for anyone else, but it would be good to get a utilityman who could play SS. As for backup catcher, I don't think anybody available is good enough to step in and be respectable if AJ misses time, and Flowers has played so little that his sucking hasn't hurt the team as much. That's another move to make if it presents itself, but certainly not make or break.

russ99
07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Jordan Danks has been good off the bench, but I would have liked for them to get Reed Johnson, as he hits lefties well and is a good pinch hitter. The Sox are lucky to be in a position where they don't have to trade for anyone else, but it would be good to get a utilityman who could play SS. As for backup catcher, I don't think anybody available is good enough to step in and be respectable if AJ misses time, and Flowers has played so little that his sucking hasn't hurt the team as much. That's another move to make if it presents itself, but certainly not make or break.

Kenny's quiet, almost too quiet...

IMO, he may be ripe for one of his crazy deadline deals. How about getting El Caballo back from Florida to backup LF, 1B and DH and as insurance for Paulie's wrist issues? The Astros are paying almost all of his salary...

Domeshot17
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Looks like we stood pat at the deadline, too bad, would have loved to see us get 1 more reliable bullpen arm.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2012, 04:28 PM
It's always possible to get a waiver deal done in the next month or so. Sometimes "small" moves yield "huge" dividends.

Examples: Tito Landrum, Geoff Blum...you just never know.

Lip

doublem23
07-31-2012, 04:32 PM
It's always possible to get a waiver deal done in the next month or so. Sometimes "small" moves yield "huge" dividends.

Lip

Exactly, I don't think we have the need for or ability to acquire one of the big fish out there. The kinds of players we could use are bullpen guys, utility players, etc. They're always available after the non-waiver deadline.

WisSoxFan
07-31-2012, 04:37 PM

Lip

I hate Tito ****ing Landrum. OK, hate may be too strong, but in the context of that day I didn't like him very much. My 20th birthday! Still stings.

MeteorsSox4367
07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Didn't Blum just get released? He's out there, Kenny. Make it happen!

kittle42
07-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Didn't Blum just get released? He's out there, Kenny. Make it happen!

Bleh.

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
I hate Tito ****ing Landrum. OK, hate may be too strong, but in the context of that day I didn't like him very much. My 20th birthday! Still stings.

I was a 21 year old Illinois State student.I know your pain.It hurt like hell.It still hurts.:angry::angry:

soxinem1
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
We need a good INF backup that Robin will not be afraid to play. A Willie Bloomquist type or someone similar.

Brian26
07-31-2012, 11:13 PM

In regards to Landrum, it's ok to hate him. Flanagan and Dempsey are bastards too.