PDA

View Full Version : *Official* I Hate the Twins Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
07-30-2012, 10:21 PM
What it says.

JB98
07-30-2012, 10:21 PM
The Sox beat themselves tonight. Bad defense. That hasn't happened too much this year. But it was ugly in the first inning and ugly in the ninth.

LoveYourSuit
07-30-2012, 10:22 PM
3 unearned runs.

Defense has pissed away these last 2.

:angry:

DaveFeelsRight
07-30-2012, 10:23 PM
reminded me of 2008 and 2010 in a very bad way.

ChiSoxGirl
After the top of the ninth, I flipped over to the Olympics to see Michael Phelps swim and tune back in five minutes later to see Alexi Casilla on third and a botched throw by AJ on a bunt! Typical Twins crap. God, I HATE that team!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

CoopaLoop
Not a great inning for A.J Pierzynski

JB98
07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
reminded me of 2008 and 2010 in a very bad way.

As a fan base, we really need to get over this. With tonight's win, Minnesota is 5-15 in its last 20 against the White Sox.

thomas35forever
07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
As a fan base, we really need to get over this. With tonight's win, Minnesota is 5-15 in its last 20 against the White Sox.
Agreed. Give 'em a taste of past glory tonight. Beat their asses in tomorrow.

LoveYourSuit
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Contrary to what people want to believe, AJ is not a good defensive catcher at this point in his career.

palehozenychicty

For real. It's long gone.

SoxSpeed22
That was one of the worst ****ing games I've seen this year.
I'm still in awe at how unbelievably so ****ing lucky that hack was tonight. De Vries pitches like complete dog **** and got bailed out by his defense and how many 'hang-wuffums' were hit tonight.

kittle42
Bad defense + bad starting pitching = bad game.

That's all.

DaveFeelsRight

oh i know. we've had they're number for the past couple of seasons, but this game in particular reminded of those two seasons.

central44
07-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Well, I guess eventually something had to give--the Sox have been beating the Twins way too easily lately. And at least Detroit lost too.

Doesnt change the fact that the Sox pissed away a winnable game. But it could have been worse. Win the next two.

shingo10
07-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Win. The. Series.

amsteel
07-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Games against the Twins in which they led by 4 are not ones the Sox can afford to lose.

JB98
07-30-2012, 10:27 PM
For real. It's long gone.

Yeah, they don't own us anymore. Even if they sweep this series, those days are long gone. Sox are going to win the season series this year.

GlassSox
07-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Bad defense + bad starting pitching = bad game.

That's all.

:yup:

DickAllen72
Contrary to what people want to believe, AJ is not a good defensive catcher at this point in his career.
The runner should have been called out. He was on the grass running down the line.

tstrike2000
No catch ball, no win game.

LoveYourSuit
07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
The runner should have been called out. He was on the grass running down the line.

There is not one ump in any level of baseball that will make that call.

shingo10
07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Actually now that I think about it this game reminds me of when we went into KC in 2005 in September. That awful, awful series. The famous "We stink" series.

Yeah that's what tonight reminds me of.

JB98
07-30-2012, 10:33 PM
There is not one ump in any level of baseball that will make that call.

I've seen that call made before, but you're not likely to get that call on the road in the ninth inning.

Golden Sox
07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
The opposing team pitchers are throwing everything on the outside of the plate to Youk. He seems to be pulling everything and it's not working for him. His offensive production keeps going down.

SoxSpeed22
07-30-2012, 10:39 PM
The opposing team pitchers are throwing everything on the outside of the plate to Youk. He seems to be pulling everything and it's not working for him. His offensive production keeps going down.Throughout his career, Youk is not the same player in the second half as he is in the first half. That might be a good reason why.

Brian26
07-30-2012, 10:40 PM
I've seen that call made before, but you're not likely to get that call on the road in the ninth inning.

You're also not going to get the call when Ben Revere pulled the same stunt earlier in the game and the Sox didn't point it out to the umps. If the seed was planted then, they may have gotten the call.

JB98
07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
You're also not going to get the call when Ben Revere pulled the same stunt earlier in the game and the Sox didn't point it out to the umps. If the seed was planted then, they may have gotten the call.

From what I've seen through the years, probably the best way to get that call is to nail the runner right in the back with the throw. That forces the umpire's hand.

russ99
07-30-2012, 10:56 PM

First game back from an injury, I'll give him a bit of a pass.

But still sloppy baseball, all around. Just cause it's the Twins and you score 4 runs doesn't mean you don't have to try.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2012, 11:00 PM
First game back from an injury, I'll give him a bit of a pass.

But still sloppy baseball, all around. Just cause it's the Twins and you score 4 runs doesn't mean you don't have to try.

Full disclosure, I did not see this game. But while there was probably some rust on the part of AJ he has never really been a good defensive catcher and as he has gotten older his defensive skills have declined. Having said that I still think he is better than Flowers.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2012, 11:00 PM
At least Detroit lost.

Be that as it is blowing a four run lead and making three errors is not the way to win friends and divisional championships.

Don't throw away a good weekend against a top team in Texas by stinking the joint up against this garbage team.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
07-30-2012, 11:02 PM
At least Detroit lost.

Be that as it is blowing a four run lead and making three errors is not the way to win friends and divisional championships.

Don't throw away a good weekend against a top team in Texas by stinking the joint up against this garbage team.

Lip

Very well said... short, sweet, to the point and on the money.

TDog
07-30-2012, 11:12 PM
The Sox beat themselves tonight. Bad defense. That hasn't happened too much this year. But it was ugly in the first inning and ugly in the ninth.

It wasn't just the defense, and as bad as the defense was, the pitching was worse. The run in the ninth was unearned, but had the inning played out with a successful sacrifice, it would have only required a single from Carroll or Span to make it earned. Span already had two hits. The unearned run in the third might have scored without the error had the inning played out without the runner being thrown out at second by De Aza, which might not have happened if the single had come with only one runner in scoring position. Only the last error gave the Twins an extra out.

What killed the Sox tonight was the No. 2 and 3 hitters going 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position. All the baserunners that reached in the first innning scored thanks to two-out hitting by the 4, 5 and 6 hitters, but despite chances thoughout most of the game, but after the first, only De Aza, the leadoff man, stepped up to be an RBI man.

In his second start against the Twins, Quintana didn't have anything close to a shutdown inning after the Sox staked him to a 4-0 lead. The White Sox threatened against the Twins, had the top of the order come up with men on base a few times.

Quintana, fortunately, went deep into the game and didn't give up anything after the third. Thornton did his job. But between the starting pitching, the defense and the lack of RBI hits after the first, it was going to take at least two more shutdown relief innings to win this game.

JB98
07-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Throughout his career, Youk is not the same player in the second half as he is in the first half. That might be a good reason why.

Shouldn't be. Youkilis had a DL stint earlier in the season and wasn't playing much when he came over from Boston. There's no reason to think he'll wear down this year. I think Youk is struggling a bit. Maybe the sprained ankle is bothering him, but I wouldn't read that much into his recent issues.

JB98
07-30-2012, 11:57 PM
It wasn't just the defense, and as bad as the defense was, the pitching was worse. The run in the ninth was unearned, but had the inning played out with a successful sacrifice, it would have only required a single from Carroll or Span to make it earned. Span already had two hits. The unearned run in the third might have scored without the error had the inning played out without the runner being thrown out at second by De Aza, which might not have happened if the single had come with only one runner in scoring position. Only the last error gave the Twins an extra out.

What killed the Sox tonight was the No. 2 and 3 hitters going 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position. All the baserunners that reached in the first innning scored thanks to two-out hitting by the 4, 5 and 6 hitters, but despite chances thoughout most of the game, but after the first, only De Aza, the leadoff man, stepped up to be an RBI man.

In his second start against the Twins, Quintana didn't have anything close to a shutdown inning after the Sox staked him to a 4-0 lead. The White Sox threatened against the Twins, had the top of the order come up with men on base a few times.

Quintana, fortunately, went deep into the game and didn't give up anything after the third. Thornton did his job. But between the starting pitching, the defense and the lack of RBI hits after the first, it was going to take at least two more shutdown relief innings to win this game.

No. Seven runs allowed killed the Sox tonight. Six runs should have been plenty to win this game. It wasn't because of poor defense, and as you mentioned, poor starting pitching.

October26
07-31-2012, 06:55 AM
After the top of the ninth, I flipped over to the Olympics to see Michael Phelps swim and tune back in five minutes later to see Alexi Casilla on third and a botched throw by AJ on a bunt! Typical Twins crap. God, I HATE that team!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

+1

I was working last night and listening to the game on the radio. I was excited when the Sox tied it at 6 and even hopeful they could get the win. But then when I heard how the bottom of the 9th was unfolding, I knew it was going to be more typical Twins crap. Yuck.

I hope Liriano pitches a good game for the Sox tonight and the Sox offense continues to do well. Go Sox!

kufram
07-31-2012, 07:51 AM
I won't be complaining about bad defense even if we had a bad couple of games. Liriano should be more than motivated to beat the Twins.

Hitmen77
07-31-2012, 08:08 AM
At least Detroit lost.

Lip

Well said. At least we didn't lose any ground to Detroit, but I have a feeling that we're going to need every win possible as we head to October. It sucks to cough up a 4 run lead and make a bunch of errors in losing to a bad ballclub.

It seems to me that Quintana has come back down to earth the last month or so. His last 6 starts include three where he's given up 5 runs or more.

Agreed. But, this game is very reminiscent of the "bad old days" when the Sox played lousy baseball in Minnesota. Even from the very first at bat when Span got on with that high infield chopper reminded me of the Metrodome days.

soltrain21
07-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Why does every win or loss almost always have to be compared to some other win or loss from some other random year?

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Why does every win or loss almost always have to be compared to some other win or loss from some other random year?

I have no idea, but we've been doing it all year.

SCCWS
07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Throughout his career, Youk is not the same player in the second half as he is in the first half. That might be a good reason why.

Youk's best production in Boston has been post all star not pre. He had several great Augusts in 08 and 09.

Jollyroger2
07-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Very disappointing loss. If the Sox won half the games they've lost this year against some real stinkers or mediocre teams, they'd have a comfortable division lead.

Way to play like stinkers against a crappy outfit.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Very disappointing loss. If the Sox won half the games they've lost this year against some real stinkers or mediocre teams, they'd have a comfortable division lead.

FWIW, they do have the best record in the AL against teams with a losing record

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2012-standings.shtml#expanded_standings_wild_card::26

Chez
07-31-2012, 10:41 AM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2012-standings.shtml#expanded_standings_wild_card::26

Hey -- don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument!

kittle42
07-31-2012, 11:05 AM
It seems to me that Quintana has come back down to earth the last month or so. His last 6 starts include three where he's given up 5 runs or more.

Exactly why we shouldn't be so quick to anoint him something close to the next Buehrle as some have...you have to be wait and see with out of nowhere junkballers who can't strike people out.

kittle42
07-31-2012, 11:06 AM

I love when baseless perceptions are trumped by reality.

amsteel
07-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Blah, this one still stings the morning after. I hope however the season ends we're not still thinking about this one.

JB98
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM

As a fan base, we have a complex about the Twins. I saw it the first time the two teams met this season. Floyd had a poor outing and Minnesota won. This board had a meltdown, with several posters declaring that "we are the Twins' bitches." Nevermind the Sox came back to win the next two in that series and have beaten Minnesota seven out of 10 this season.

The things that happened two years ago mean nothing now. The Sox did play poorly last night, but hey, this team has been on the road almost nonstop for three weeks. Sometimes you get sloppy play at the end of a difficult stretch like this. Even if the Twins win this three-game set, I'm not going to be concerned. Disappointed, perhaps, but not concerned.

The Sox need some home cooking. They'll get some soon.

Frater Perdurabo
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM

Your comment reminds me of what people were saying at this point in 2004.

thomas35forever
07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Your comment reminds me of what people were saying at this point in 2004.
:kneeslap:

StillMissOzzie
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
The SMO family had the misfortune of attending this game last night. I will try to get to a review of Target Field, as much of it as I got to see, elsewhere. But this was one butt-ugly game to sit through. You'd think that a four-spot in the first might hold up a bit, but Quintana coughed up a hairball and gave it right back. Shades of Jon Garland vs the Yankees! Three errors anytime and you are asking for trouble.

Twas a fine catch by Denard Span, though.

Let's go, Liriano, time to show your old team that intra-division trades are not always wise. Win tonight, then win the series.

SMO
:gulp:

BigKlu59
07-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Top of the 9th and your lineup HEART flatlines,.. Your new go to guy cant get a chance to nibble and is standing on the cliff after a couple of pitches.. This one had falling in the hole, written all over it...

Tough to lose after being up 4 and it looking like it might be a cake walk...No shakes, Just a pie in the face..

BK59

TDog
07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
I love when baseless perceptions are trumped by reality.

That is a common theme among baseball fans. When the White Sox won a game in New York because of bad Yankees defense, there were fans labeling it a fluke win by the Sox rather than a Yankees failure.

You also have people questioning who might question how the Sox can win the Central if they lose because they give up unearned runs to garbage teams. And while it's true that stats can sometimes be vague, elusive and deceptive, such fans are ignoring the reality that at the beginning of the month, the Tigers lost at home to the Twins 8-6 during which the Twins scored five unearned runs (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET201207030.shtml).

Not that I would label the Twins a garbage team, but the Tigers also lost a game to the Yankees that featured a walk-off passed ball, in an inning without a hit, but two walks and a wild pitch to set up the heroic finish. That game was tied at the end because of a dropped two-out line drive in the outfield that brought home a Yankees run. Really, the Tigers have lost a few games this year on plays that were charged against the defense, as opposed to plays that simply should have been made.

It's a long season. Bad stuff happens even to the best of teams. One night this season, the Dodgers let the tying run score on a steal home initiated when the pitcher had his back to home plate, and his bad throw home allowed the game's deciding run to score. At about the same time, the Giants lost a ninth-inning lead when a runner scored from second base on a two-out strike out that failed to end the game. These teams are tied for first in their division.

The White Sox simply lost Monday night. They had their chances to win even with the bad pitching and the bad defense. They had their chance to win even with the bad hitting after the first and bad pitching, and so on. They weren't going to win with bad pitching, bad defense and potential run-scoring innings coming down to RBI men who ended up hitless.