PDA

View Full Version : Johnson, Soto and Maholm traded

thomas35forever
07-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Soto going to the Rangers. Johnson to the Braves.

DumpJerry
07-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Are you talking about the Cub players? There are more than one player in MLB with those names.

thomas35forever
07-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Are you talking about the Cub players? There are more than one player in MLB with those names.
Huh. Had no idea there was a Soto on the Reds, or at least in their system.

DSpivack
07-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Reed Johnson and Paul Maholm are going to Atlanta.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/team-to-acquire-reed-johnson.html

Zakath
07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if a few more Cubs aren't on planes tomorrow for destinations unknown...

Lip Man 1
07-30-2012, 11:04 PM
The rats are leaving the sinking ship LOL :

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-cubs-deal-johnson-maholm-soto-20120730,0,4062030.story

Lip

SephClone89
07-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Lol

doublem23
07-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Not a bad haul from Atlanta for Maholm and Johnson; Arodys Vizcaino was the Braves #2 prospect heading into the season but has been on the shelf after undergoing Tommy John surgery. Kind of a risky move, but all they had was a crappy 30-year-old pitcher and a 40-year-old utility outfielder.

DumpJerry
07-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Thread title changed to include Maholm.

DSpivack
07-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Not a bad haul from Atlanta for Maholm and Johnson; Arodys Vizcaino was the Braves #2 prospect heading into the season but has been on the shelf after undergoing Tommy John surgery. Kind of a risky move, but all they had was a crappy 30-year-old pitcher and a 40-year-old utility outfielder.

Why would you trade for damaged goods?

SOX ADDICT '73
07-31-2012, 12:08 AM
I really thought Soto was going to be a stud catcher for them for years to come. Surprising that he fell so far so fast, to the point that their best return is a mediocre AA pitcher.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 12:19 AM

Because that's probably the best return you're going to get for a Paul Maholm and a Reed Johnson. Not like teams are tripping over one another to get their hands on those two keystone players. :cool: When you got spare parts, you usually have to shop in the discount aisle.

That said, it's not the '70s any more, plenty of guys come back strong from Tommy John surgery nowadays. The guy making his White Sox debut tomorrow night is proof of that.

Now, it goes without saying that I'm much happier that the Sox are in the position they're in at the deadline, but IIIIIIIIIIIIF this year had been a dissapointment like many of us feared and they were chopping the team up and selling it for scraps, for a veteran OF and inconsistent pitcher... Roughly the equivalent of say, Fukudome (who yes, I know is already gone) and Humber, you get back a guy who was one of the top arms in one of the sport's most widely praised farm systems. Not a bad deal at all. My Cub fan brother is pretty happy with it.

DrCrawdad
07-31-2012, 01:14 AM

Theos Epstein is smarter than you and smarter than everyone else.

Hitmen77
07-31-2012, 08:58 AM

Agreed. It sounds like a pretty good gamble for the Cubs. It's not like they were going to get a huge haul for those two players, so why not take a chance on a former top prospect who is coming back from Tommy John?

I really thought Soto was going to be a stud catcher for them for years to come. Surprising that he fell so far so fast, to the point that their best return is a mediocre AA pitcher.

I assume that Soto is going to be the Rangers' #3 catcher since they already have Napoli and Torrealba. It makes me wonder why the Rangers even need Soto.

I admit that I really don't follow the Cubs all that closely, so wasn't aware that Soto had fallen so far.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 09:18 AM
I assume that Soto is going to be the Rangers' #3 catcher since they already have Napoli and Torrealba. It makes me wonder why the Rangers even need Soto.

I admit that I really don't follow the Cubs all that closely, so wasn't aware that Soto had fallen so far.

Probably so they can DH Napoli more often to keep his legs fresh and keep his bat in the lineup.

SephClone89
07-31-2012, 09:29 AM

Torrealba was designated for assignment last night.

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Torrealba was designated for assignment last night.

Why? Isn't he pretty good?

doublem23
07-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Why? Isn't he pretty good?

Not this year

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/torreyo01.shtml

eriqjaffe
07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Not this year

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/torreyo01.shtmlThose numbers look a lot better than Flowers'.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Those numbers look a lot better than Flowers'.

Meh, Flowers is in a tough spot because of AJ's durability and the way Robin uses his bench. Guy's gotten 98 plate appearances through 102 team games. I sincerely doubt anyone could develop the consistent approach needed to be successful at the plate with such limited playing time.

eriqjaffe
07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Meh, Flowers is in a tough spot because of AJ's durability and the way Robin uses his bench. Guy's gotten 98 plate appearances through 102 team games. I sincerely doubt anyone could develop the consistent approach needed to be successful at the plate with such limited playing time.True, the limited playing time isn't doing him any favors, but I've always thought he was overvalued as a prospect. His defense seems fine, but he just really isn't a very good hitter. This is a guy who put up a .220 average in AAA a couple years ago, striking out in nearly 1/3 of his plate appearances. Sure, if he hit homers like Dunn, I could overlook that. But he doesn't.

Heck, it's the end of July and the only player he's driven in this year is himself.

guillensdisciple
07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Also, in the limited time flowers has played, he has called some good games for our pitchers. I don't think he'll be amazing once Aj leaves but he is a good back up.

Tragg
07-31-2012, 06:41 PM
It's odd how the Cubs have one of the bottom 25% teams in baseball, yet 60% of their rotation is highly desired by contending teams (counting Garza who likely would have been traded).

DSpivack
08-01-2012, 12:33 AM
It's odd how the Cubs have one of the bottom 25% teams in baseball, yet 60% of their rotation is highly desired by contending teams (counting Garza who likely would have been traded).

They still have one of the worst teams, except now with a crappy rotation! :tongue:

DrCrawdad
08-01-2012, 07:24 AM
They still have one of the worst teams, except now with a crappy rotation! :tongue:

I still don't understand why the only approach to the Cubbies by Epstein was a total gut job. With the resources at Epstein's disposal - one of the richest teams and owners in MLB, he couldn't have produced a rebuild AND a (potential) winning team this season?

And what's the timetable on this current Cubbie rebuild? 3 years? 5 years? If they don't win a World Series by then, what?

doublem23
08-01-2012, 08:14 AM
I still don't understand why the only approach to the Cubbies by Epstein was a total gut job. With the resources at Epstein's disposal - one of the richest teams and owners in MLB, he couldn't have produced a rebuild AND a (potential) winning team this season?

And what's the timetable on this current Cubbie rebuild? 3 years? 5 years? If they don't win a World Series by then, what?

I really doubt it, the Cubs are still shedding a lot of bad contracts off their books. But they're chipping away at it. Right now, their estimated payroll for 2012 is something like $80 M so they're going to have a little bit of cash to play with. Should be an interesting off-season. I will agree with you that if they go cheap again in 2013, that would be a questionable decision.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Crawdad:

Given the price that Ricketts paid for the club, there are many reports out there that he is stretched financially. That's why he's trying to get local help from a money standpoint to repair Wrigley Field.

He appears to be overextended which means there isn't a lot of money for actual team payroll. The days when the Cubs would have a 130 million dollar payroll are over.

Lip